Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-03-2013, 3:52 PM

Default Cleaning 22/45 frame

im just getting back from shooting today and cleaning my pistols, one of which is a ruger mark III 22/45, the inside of the frame is pretty dirty and is making the trigger feel gritty, it still has a good break but the take up to is is gritty, for now im doing the best i can with a tooth brush but do you guys have any advice? should i take it completly down? im using balistol and im afraid to put any in there to flush it out i think it will collect more crap the next time.
Old 02-03-2013, 5:41 PM

My 22/45 trigger feel is the exact same way once I hit the two brick mark "1000Rds+". I clean it whenever I can, It just makes the trigger action/break a lot smoother.

Also I would do a trigger polish mod since your wanting to get in your lower frame. Makes a difference and Drops your trigger pull 1-2 Lbs if you do a nice job. Also Get rid of your Magazine Disconnect if you havn't, and install a mag bushing they help a lot! Search youtube for 22/45 Frame Takedown and polishing tips, I know they helped me.
Old 02-03-2013, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

Stripping it isn't really that bad so if you need to get in there go for it.
I agree with INFAMOUS762X39 do a polish job and remove the disconnect while you have it apart.

My GF's 22/45 has a really light crisp brake.
Here's what I have done to it:
Hand polished trigger job (I use semi-chrome polish with Q-Tips)
Magazine Disconnect removed (used the washer method)
Gravity slingshot mod (plan on making it spring assisted, Goober no coil design http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...=361024&page=5)
Removed the internal part of the LCI
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce

Last edited by Chaos47; 02-03-2013 at 5:59 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 6:09 PM

I usually completely disassemble my 22/45 to clean the lower. It also allow you to see how your pistol work and spend some quality time with it. Just my $0.02
Old 02-03-2013, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I haven't actually had mine apart. Once in awhile I douche it with Hoppes and blast it out with Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe aerosol. Then reoil.

Be careful what you use on the frame. Lots of aerosols attack plastic, notably Powder Blast contains an ingredient MADE to attack the plastic residue from shotgun wads.
I'm sure I'll get around to the mods mentioned. The pistol seems to have a lot of potential but is held back by the lawyerfications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Also be careful about disassembly and re-assembly. These things are notoriously difficult, or should I say quirky about that. YouTube vids or manuals will help.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalGSG View Post
Also be careful about disassembly and re-assembly. These things are notoriously difficult, or should I say quirky about that. YouTube vids or manuals will help.
everyone says that about feild striping it but i find it pretty easy, idk if i got a easier fitted one or what but i only needed to use a tool the first time to take it down, taking apart the frame is probably a bit trickier but im not to worried about it, my concern with doing the mods is how it will affect the warranty?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

You probably have to clean the trigger plunger and spring to get rid of the grittiness.. which requires full dissassembly. It's not that hard. Pay attention when reassembling.
Old 02-04-2013, 4:45 PM

I recently bought a 22/45 and the disassembly was a bear BEFORE I shot it. I must be dumb because I swear it took me like 2 hours to take it apart and put it back together. After about a 1,000 rounds it is much easier to take apart. Plus, I bought the MKII bushing which allows you to skip a step, or two from assembly. Save yourself a hassle and don't take it apart when new. Just run a boresnake through it and 1,000 rounds before you field strip it.
Old 02-04-2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfuego View Post
I recently bought a 22/45 and the disassembly was a bear BEFORE I shot it. I must be dumb because I swear it took me like 2 hours to take it apart and put it back together. After about a 1,000 rounds it is much easier to take apart. Plus, I bought the MKII bushing which allows you to skip a step, or two from assembly. Save yourself a hassle and don't take it apart when new. Just run a boresnake through it and 1,000 rounds before you field strip it.
i took mine down the moment i got it home and checked it out as i do with all my guns, im not worried about taking it down all the way either but ruger says you shouldnt have to take it down anymore the a field strip. and the gun only has about 600 rounds, i know not alot for a 22 at all but i dont get to go shooting much and i cant find the ammo!
Old 02-04-2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350skylark View Post
i took mine down the moment i got it home and checked it out as i do with all my guns, im not worried about taking it down all the way either but ruger says you shouldnt have to take it down anymore the a field strip. and the gun only has about 600 rounds, i know not alot for a 22 at all but i dont get to go shooting much and i cant find the ammo!
With this down time, it's a great reason tinker around with the 22/45. I recently ditched the stock front sights for Dawson Precision Fiber Optic Fronts. For 20$ they are fantastic and worth every penny. I will try to take pics tomorrow for you guys.

Brass has turned into Gold, I can't find Ammo either. So stoked my best bud just sold me/dropped off a bunch of Ammo .308, .45, and Two Bricks of .22 :woot woot:
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM

I posted a similar issue post under the rimfire forum here

I hope this helps you out in your quest for less grittiness.
Old 02-05-2013, 5:55 AM

Picking mine up tomorrow. Still going back and forth whether I will at least field strip it before I shoot it.
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-05-2013, 8:34 AM

I admit mine was pretty hard to disasemble and reassemble, but the more you do it the easier it gets. I have to use a hammer at first, but now I do everything by hand. No problem at all.
Old 02-05-2013, 1:21 PM

well just finished taking down the frame and cleaning it out, what a pain. now i wish i would have waited till i can do the polish job and mag disconnect. ooh should be easier the next time i do it and no more gritty trigger and mag release
Old 02-05-2013, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
well just finished taking down the frame and cleaning it out, what a pain. now i wish i would have waited till i can do the polish job and mag disconnect. ooh should be easier the next time i do it and no more gritty trigger and mag release
Congrats on getting it back together and it working, hah!

Well now you have an idea how it is done so it will not be as daunting next time
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 02-05-2013, 4:53 PM

I had a few minutes to take pics on this gloomy day, just wanted to share my sweet 22/45.

Old 02-05-2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post
I had a few minutes to take pics on this gloomy day, just wanted to share my sweet 22/45.

im kinda diggin the lettering and im totally gonna put some grip tape in the front. are you in riverside? pretty gloomy out today here too.
Old 02-05-2013, 8:08 PM

if you have access to an air compressor, give it a good air blast cleaning or you can also go to your local office supply store and buy a can of compressed air (used to remove dust from electronic equipment).
Old 02-05-2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
im kinda diggin the lettering and im totally gonna put some grip tape in the front. are you in riverside? pretty gloomy out today here too.
Just walked out of Big 5. Bought a .22 boresnake. Pretty gloomy in there too...No ammo. Even the cashier, a young high school kid, asked me if I was able to find any ammo. LOL!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

Skip polishing, get a volquartzen sear, or the full trigger upgrade kit. It's SWEET!!!!!!

Mine doesnt seem to get gritty with that trigger upgrade kit in it. I rarely clean mine at all- just the bolt usually.

I have thousands and thousands of rounds through mine. MKII 22/45
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You might like the lettering at first, but eventually you'll remove it.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

For my grip (not shown in pic) I put a regular hogue handall over a mini hogue handall and did some cutting and shaping to make it fit nicely. Feels like my Glocks now! Only downside to this is if you want to do a full disassembly, youre going to have to take off the grips (which aint easy) before you can get to the mainspring housing. One way to avoid this would be to get one of those quick take-down screw-off bolt pins, but I have no experience with them.

Last edited by tal3nt; 02-06-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
For my grip (not shown in pic) I put a regular hogue handall over a mini hogue handall and did some cutting and shaping to make it fit nicely. Feels like my Glocks now! Only downside to this is if you want to do a full disassembly, youre going to have to take off the grips (which aint easy) before you can get to the mainspring housing. One way to avoid this would be to get one of those quick take-down screw-off bolt pins, but I have no experience with them.
Please take updated pics of your 22/45. I love my hogue handall grips on my G19. I do not want to dremel my frame to take .45 grips, so this is a sweet alternative.

Old 02-06-2013, 3:10 PM

Just got back from breaking my Ruger 22/45 out of jail. Got there around 10:15 am. Place was nice & empty!

Headed straight to the range after picking it up. Reeds has a 1 hr free lane rental with purchase. SWEET!!! Ran a bore snake thru it with some Ballistol and used a paper towel with some Ballistol to clean/lube the bolt-at least what I was able to get to.

Put 300 rounds down range. 3 Fail to Feed. The first one happened within the 1st or 2nd full mag. The 2nd and 3rd ones happened well after 200+ rounds. Seemed like the bullet got caught up in the magazine and the bolt closed in on the round, crushing it in the middle. I'll try and post up some pics. I'm HOPING that it's just a case of new mags and the springs aren't quite broken in. I was using Blazer ammo.

Do you guys think 300 rounds is enough to get it loose enough to field strip?

Edit to add pix of jam:

Here is with the bolt pulled back.

M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)

Last edited by XDJYo; 02-06-2013 at 4:33 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Just got back from breaking my Ruger 22/45 out of jail. Got there around 10:15 am. Place was nice & empty!

Headed straight to the range after picking it up. Reeds has a 1 hr free lane rental with purchase. SWEET!!! Ran a bore snake thru it with some Ballistol and used a paper towel with some Ballistol to clean/lube the bolt-at least what I was able to get to.

Put 300 rounds down range. 3 Fail to Feed. The first one happened within the 1st or 2nd full mag. The 2nd and 3rd ones happened well after 200+ rounds. Seemed like the bullet got caught up in the magazine and the bolt closed in on the round, crushing it in the middle. I'll try and post up some pics. I'm HOPING that it's just a case of new mags and the springs aren't quite broken in. I was using Blazer ammo.

Do you guys think 300 rounds is enough to get it loose enough to field strip?

Edit to add pix of jam:

Here is with the bolt pulled back.

i took mine down when i first got it, i dont know how much shooting will really affect taking it down, but i think taking i down will affect taking it down...? i haven't had a single malfunction with this gun and only used old bulk ammo
Old 02-06-2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
i took mine down when i first got it, i dont know how much shooting will really affect taking it down, but i think taking i down will affect taking it down...? i haven't had a single malfunction with this gun and only used old bulk ammo
Yeah, some say to shoot it and it will help loosen up the gun so that field stripping is an easier affair. Have no idea if it's true or not.

As far as the failure to feed issue, I was thinking that maybe there was some factory preservative/packing goo that kept everything from working right. Or, the mag springs might be a little too tight still. Either way, I was hoping to be able to say ZERO malfunctions with this gun, but sadly, not so. Marked my mags to see if it follows the mag.

I just got finished cleaning it. I was able to get the mainspring housing and the bolt pin out fairly easily using a non-marring tool (bamboo chopstick!) to drive it out. Cleaned the bolt and what I was able to get to from the ejection port. I couldn't quite get the barrel and the receiver apart. When I tried to put it back together, I had the hardest time getting the hole for the mainspring housing/bolt pin to line up. Took FOREVER to try and get it to move that last millimeter or so. Finally got that done. Tried to swing the mainspring housing back down and it wouldn't go down. After watching 2 different youtube videos, I finally figured out that I forgot to put the mag back in. Derrr...

Finally all back together and cleaned up ready for tomorrow!!! Heading back to the range tomorrow with the wife in tow. Going to shoot the 22/45, her Sig Sauer SP2022, my 1911 (maybe) and MAYBE rent a Les Baer.

Anyways, 300 rounds is half-way enough to field strip your Ruger 22/45.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-07-2013, 7:19 AM
Banned

I ran over 30,000 rounds thru my 22/45 in Steel Challenge without taking it apart. Just WD40 and a boresnake. When you do decide to take it apart, be sure to get the two piece takedown pin by Majestic. They have been around since the first Mark II's came out. The 2 pice pin makes it easy as a Glock.

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
Old 02-07-2013, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
I ran over 30,000 rounds thru my 22/45 in Steel Challenge without taking it apart. Just WD40 and a boresnake. When you do decide to take it apart, be sure to get the two piece takedown pin by Majestic. They have been around since the first Mark II's came out. The 2 pice pin makes it easy as a Glock.

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
Wow! 30k rounds?!?! i think my OCD would have a problem with that! LOL! I have the bores snake, but what's the WD40 for? Down in the trigger area? I used Q-Tips to get to what I could yesterday. But still pretty grimey.

Neat! So this is for the bolt pin only right? What about the barrel? That's the part I was having the most trouble with.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-07-2013, 8:44 PM

I put 2000 rounds through my 22/45 before tried to take it apart. It was still a PITA.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Put another 100 rounds down range thru it yesterday. Mixed it up with my 1911, the Sig SP2022 and a rented Les Baer.

Got it home and just ran a bore snake thru it and wiped down what I could get to with Ballistol.

Taking it out again on Tuesday. Hoping to put a lot of rounds down range and just practice.

Might try to field strip it again after that.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Put another 100 rounds down range thru it yesterday. Mixed it up with my 1911, the Sig SP2022 and a rented Les Baer.

Got it home and just ran a bore snake thru it and wiped down what I could get to with Ballistol.

Taking it out again on Tuesday. Hoping to put a lot of rounds down range and just practice.

Might try to field strip it again after that.
the first two times i took the barrel off the frame i gave it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet, now i can take it off with just my hands pretty easy, i wouldn't worry about how many rounds you put threw it before taking it down, it doesn't make sense to me why that would loosen up the part where the barrel attaches.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow! 30k rounds?!?! i think my OCD would have a problem with that! LOL! I have the bores snake, but what's the WD40 for? Down in the trigger area? I used Q-Tips to get to what I could yesterday. But still pretty grimey.

Neat! So this is for the bolt pin only right? What about the barrel? That's the part I was having the most trouble with.
Spray the bolt carrier with WD-40.
Old 02-08-2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Spray the bolt carrier with WD-40.
Ok. Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but why WD40 and not something like Ballistol? Seems like it would accomplish the same purpose? Is this for lube or for cleaning or both?

Thanks!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-08-2013, 4:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok. Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but why WD40 and not something like Ballistol? Seems like it would accomplish the same purpose? Is this for lube or for cleaning or both?

Thanks!
It's just what I had, probably anything will work
Old 02-08-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
It's just what I had, probably anything will work
Oh! Hahaha! O.K. Thanks for clarifying that. I was thinking there might be some reason that's shrouded in secrecy why I should use WD40 instead.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)