Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-10-2013, 7:31 PM

Default New to the gun world and looking for advice/opinions!

I'm getting ready to buy my first handgun. I'm torn between the Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig Sauer P226 and Beretta 92FS. I'm going to go shoot them all in the next week or two, but I would really like to hear everyone's opinion to help me put. Oh and this is going to be for home defense as well as taking it to the range.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Glock if you like striker fire pistol.. sig and Beretta if you prefer DA/SA style pistol.
Brand new sig will cost you over $1000
Old 02-10-2013, 7:36 PM

All good choices. It's going to be impossible to get this forum to help you decide, there are fans of all of those guns.

The best thing you can do is what you have planned. Shoot them all and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. And the one you shoot the best.

Welcome to Calguns.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Poor naive newbie. This isn't a question of which gun to get...it's a question of which gun to get FIRST!
Old 02-10-2013, 8:06 PM

I really really need to get out and try them all, but with a baby due any day it's a little hard haha. Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2013, 8:10 PM

You will definitely know after you shoot them all. I am a glock guy myself, but the sigs are excellent weapons too. Never had to much experience with the beretta.

With the glocks, youll have a consistent trigger pull each time, whereas with the Sig and Beretta youll have the option to decock the hammer and go into double action mode.

It will also depend on if you like a metal frame or a polymer frame. They both have pros and cons.

Pricewise the glock is quite inexpensive compared to the Sig. They are all good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Poor naive newbie. This isn't a question of which gun to get...it's a question of which gun to get FIRST!
++1 buying firearms is addictive

Get them all!
Old 02-10-2013, 8:14 PM

my thing: but I do not like levers/switches on the slide as a defensive weapon.

GL with your choice.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:18 PM

Big djg that's what I'm afraid of haha.
If I could buy them all right now I would I'm a heart beat!
Just looking into what would be a better first buy.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:21 PM

Glock 19 if you have plans of getting a CCW. Great size to carry and still fun at the range.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:26 PM

FWIW I've personally decided that the only two 9mm pistols I need are the Glock 19 and Sig P226.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Lol! What he said!!
Old 02-10-2013, 8:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH2h View Post
for home defense as well as taking it to the range.
My vote: Glock 19
Old 02-10-2013, 9:08 PM

226 if money is not an issue, otherwise glock! Sig was my first handgun and sstarted my love affair, purchased it around 10 months ago, now I have 4 handguns, smith 686p, 1911, 22/45, and 5 long guns, 2 ARs, AK, mosin, 10/22, plus AR stripped lower, and looking for more.. Looking for g19 to add a defensive compact polymer pistol to the stable! YouTube reviews can give you in sight into each gun also
Old 02-10-2013, 9:25 PM

Of what you listed Glock or Sig.

My first choices are not California legal.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:47 PM

You can get it SSE converted. Might as well get what you want for your first!
Old 02-10-2013, 9:56 PM

Beretta

Proud Christian
Proud Father
Proud Libertarian
Proud NRA Member
Azusa Pacific Pride!! Go Cougars!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
Copious amounts of hookers and blow will cure what ails you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I can't find anything funny to say about how Dicks suck...
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I can't speak to the Beretta. (why the heck don't I have one of those?)
but
Sig - great gun
Glock - great gun
CZ - you didn't say CZ. How could you not consider CZ, another terrific gun.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH2h View Post
I'm getting ready to buy my first handgun. I'm torn between the Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig Sauer P226 and Beretta 92FS. I'm going to go shoot them all in the next week or two, but I would really like to hear everyone's opinion to help me put. Oh and this is going to be for home defense as well as taking it to the range.
Add a Smith & Wesson M&P to your list. The lightness and reliability of a Glock but designed to fit a human hand.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Just going to vote with what I have: Beretta 92FS. For me, it's a perfect fit for my Hobbit-sized hands, shoots anything I feed it, good weight, accurate, the damn thing practically shoots itself...
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
What he said!!

Go with Glock to start. Cheaper reliable gun to get your feet wet. It's hard to stop collecting once you get going!

NRA Life Member
Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM

whats your budget?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 PM

Since you've got a baby in-bound, I would say Stop. Don't do anything yet. You've come to the BEST place to learn about it though.

I'm assuming this is your first child. Because of that, there are additional things to think about. How it fits in with your life. When/where will you practice at home? When/where will you clean the gun? What will you use to clean the gun? (Remember-some of the solvents used to clean guns are HORRIBLE for people, let alone babies/children!!! Hoppes #9 is very popular but very toxic!). What about your wife? Will she shoot too? If so, where will the baby be when the two of you are at the range? Remember, guns are EXTREMELY loud and can damage delicate ears even with protection. Most ear muffs are not designed with baby-noggins in mind. The range is not the place for a baby. I would advise NOT to take the wife to the range even while she's pregnant just as a precaution. And, most of all, don't forget about the cost of a baby. It's expensive. Guns are expensive and so is ammo. I can't see myself in my current situation trying to juggle a new baby and a new hobby such as shooting.

There is no immediate NEED for a gun today. Take your time. Research. Here's a link to a GREAT thread with a TON of information. Read it. Stop. Read it again. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=397489

Watch Hickok45's Basic videos. He's a great shooter, loves to shoot and it shows. Most of all, he's very good at teaching in an easy to understand manner and isn't like some of the other video channels on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7C6A6C518C448426

When you're finally ready to buy, stop again and research some more. Things will change. Prices will change (things will calm down and the gun buying frenzy will subside and things will return to normal). Today vs. tomorrow will not change.

I'm a newbie too. Just started about 8 months ago. If I had to do it over again, I would have started with a .22 plinker. Ruger Mark III 22/45 is a great little pistol and is PERFECT to train and is cheap to shoot. Just as a test, walk into any sporting goods store, Big 5, Cabela's or even Walmart and ask if they have a lot of ammo. Most will say that they're out and they're on back order. Cost? 45 ammo is most costly (usually). 9 mm is easier on the wallet but a few hundred rounds for a day at the range (especially if you both will be shooting) goes quickly.

A little further down the line is where will you keep the pistol when it's at home? You will need a safe. Hopefully as soon as you get it home. At least some safe place under lock and key.

It will be information overload. Which is why I always say to stop and research and take your time. Learn. Learn some more since some of the things you learn, will be someone's opinion and not necessarily fact.

O.K. I've said a LOT more than I was originally intending so, I'll stop for now.

Happy Hunting and Be Safe!
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Great choies! All great pistols
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM

I had a similar choice to make at one point. I really wanted a Sig, but took good advice and tested my top 5 choices. I was really surprised to find that I just didn't shoot the Sig well, my preference based on little else then want.

I ended up buying my the #5 choice on my list. It was only on the list based on reputation as were most of them.

I will not say what it was, but it was a great starter. Easy to break down, clean, and learn the basics. The real seller was that I just shot it better then the others, despite my preconceptions.

I'm currently in the market for a Sig having acquired others, I guess I haven't given up. However I do believe I made the right choice on my first. It felt right, it performed well, I had the best results with it, and I learned a lot.

All I'm saying is that I recommend you base your choice not on marketing or the opinions of others. Your list is solid, and if you have the opportunity to test others then do it.

In the end, choose based on why you want to own a handgun in the first place.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd start with the G17 and work down that list over the rest of the year.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520
Old 02-11-2013, 8:50 AM

Almost forgot, First Steps Pistol training class. Safety first. Always.
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-11-2013, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Out of all those, if i were to have only one it would be the Beretta 92.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 02-11-2013, 9:14 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I started with a Glock 17 and love the darn thing. However if I had to do it again I'd probably start with a Glock 19 since it's large enough but conceals better on me (I'll get one at some point).

Just recently I picked up a 92FS (M9A1) and love it also This is now my primary HD firearm around the house. Feel better having one in the chamber and the heavy DA trigger pull while it's under my pillow. Not that Glocks are unsafe it's just a comfort thing

Either way you can't go wrong with any of the firearms you listed so go shoot them and pick the one you feel most comfortable with

NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)

“The man in black fled into the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

“For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matthew 16:26)
Old 02-11-2013, 9:26 AM
Banned

Center bull...?

Glock 23 - .40

10-ring (because of ammo costs)...?

Glock 19 - 9mm Euro

10-ring (for SD/EDC)...?

Glock 36 - .45 ACP
Old 02-11-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

All the choices you've listed are excellent choices. But asking "which 9mm pistol should I get?" is a bit like asking "which 4-cylinder sedan should I get?" Virtually everything in that category is a quality item, and the differences are minor. As with choosing a car, find the one that fits you best and which you like.
Old 02-11-2013, 9:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah another warning on the fact that there is a new baby on the way.

Your life is about to change big time, but consider this too ... if you buy a gun and your wife FEELS that you aren't helping out enough with the new baby, she will immediately lock onto WHY. It can be totally bogus, maybe you ARE changing just as many diapers as she is, but if she FEELS you aren't she's going to start thinking "Ah, I see, it's because he picked up a new hobby and it's because of that that he's not helping me and the baby as much as he should" That might turn into "You love that gun more than me and the baby!"

Sure it's not true at all, but babies are not easy and people will look for things other than the baby to express their frustration on. For women the number one target is the husband and if hubby has a new toy, well, you know what is going to be the focus of that new found frustration!

OR, it'll be all cool. You can't tell!

Oh yeah, get the Glock 17 if everything else you feel is equal. IMHO it's the closest you can get to a Honda Civic in the gun world.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Just Be Yourself
CGN Contributor

Newbie here as well, only 6 months. The pieces of advice above are great and true. If I were to start over, I would not change a thing as I read the exact same advice from fellow CalGunners beforehand.

But, FWIW, the feel of the gun is my top priority for my first gun. The user has got to be able to use it properly. Otherwise it is pointless. My first is a G17 and many handguns later, I still don't see parting with it. It still has seen the most action among all my guns. Not saying to get a G17, but get the one that feels the best for you when you shoot it.

Good luck with the purchase and with the baby as well!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Patience, Grasshopper.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

You need to try them. We can't tell you which gun will fit your hand the best.

Unless you buy a CZ, they fit everyone like a glove :P

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM

love my Sig, love my dads CZ. not a fan of plastic guns personally
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Skip the 9mm and buy a .40s&w.

Not for preference of the caliber, but you must be able to obtain ammunition if you intend to shoot it.

Unless you have a stable, steady source for ammo, right now, 9mm is a lot harder to come by.

My .02.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
The Laser Guy (Vendor/Retailer)

Shoot them all, and see which you like best. All the pistols you mentioned are going to perform well, and be reliable. You should also shoot an M&P. I purchased one as my first hand gun, and couldn't have been happier. Over 3,000 flawless rounds through it. 1,000 of which without a single cleaning.

Another thing to consider, is with the M&P (not sure if it works with the rest) if you go with .40, instead of 9mm, you can convert the pistol to 9mm & .357sig pretty easily. If you go with a 9mm, you can't change the caliber. Just food for thought.

No matter what you decide, do it for you, not because someone else likes it. You really can't lose.

We offer custom laser engraving services on all metals, most polymers, and many plastics. For more info, send me a PM, or click one of the links below:

:: Visit us on Facebook : Visit Our Website : Follow us on Twitter ::

Questions? Call us at (844)777-7324!
-----
"Good things come to those who wait; Great things come to those who don't." -Self

"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true." -Bodhi
Old 02-11-2013, 4:40 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the input. I really really do appreciate it and take every bit of what you all said into consideration! By chance is anyone from the Santa Clarita area or near by? I'm gunna need a shooting buddy as soon as I make my choice haha.