Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2013, 8:45 AM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default I Shot a Poor Neglected Baer

Went to Reeds yesterday with the wife and packing my Springfield Loaded 1911, Sig Sauer SP2022 and Ruger Mark III 22/45.

Couldn't resist the temptation, so I rented a Les Baer Premier II with 50 rounds ($27/50).

It was kind of sad. There was gunpowder residue build up in front of the barrel, all over in fact. There were some dings and dents from being a rental. (Excuse the sucky pic)



From all of the stories I've heard, I was expecting to have to wrestle with it to rack the slide. But, it was easy! About the same as my Springfield!

First, the wife shot the Ruger and her Sig. Then, I warmed up with the Ruger 22/45 and put about 50 rounds downrange. Then, I shot my 1911. Felt good. Big difference in recoil! LOL!

Now, on to the Les Baer. Kind of intimidated, so I threw the first one down a bit. Ugh. Pearls before swine. When I dropped the empty mag, the slide closed! Locked the slide back and noticed a tiny dent on the back of the notch in the slide. The slide lock didn't seem to fully engage the notch. Chalking it up to a worn, battered and neglected pistol. Shot a few more and oddly, the slide didn't lock back on empty? Weird. They were using Wilson Combat mags, so after that, I switched over to my stock Springfield mags and no more problems.

On to the highlights. The trigger is AMAZING!!! At least once or twice, when I let the trigger reset and coming back up on target, the gun would go off. Not used to that light of a trigger. VERY easy to let the gun shoot. Very nice sights (even though they were iron sights). Even though it was in poor shape, the blued finish is more of a black color. Maybe it was the lighting, but I still prefer the Colt blue color. I wasn't sure how I would like the slide serrations, but they were great! They look sharper, but they're much easier to get a grip of over the notch-like serrations in my Springfield.

On a sad note-at a little over 1100 rounds, my Springfield had it's FIRST malfunction ever! I had a Fail to Feed in the middle of my mag. Looked like the round just didn't make it up the ramp. I dropped the mag to clear it and the round fell out the bottom. I did that without thinking, so I didn't get a good look at exactly what happened. Only shot a total of 50 rounds between the Les Baer and the Springfield using just that one mag (aside from a few with the Wilson Combat).

All-in-all, it was a great day at the range! (2nd day in a row I went shooting!). Rented a legendary pistol, had a great time and since we went during a work day, there wasn't a big crowd. Chatting with the guys behind the counter about the Les Baer, he goes "We even have one in stock!" Ugh. Just what I need. Maybe...
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP

Last edited by XDJYo; 02-08-2013 at 8:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2013, 9:56 AM
redcliff's Avatar
redcliff redcliff is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Shasta County
Posts: 5,171
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

The Wilson magazines that weren't holding the slide open were probably 47D's. When the magazine spring is weak it doesn't push the slide stop up enough and if the slide is a bit soft you can get peening and rounding of the notch.

It's a known issue with that magazine as the tube is slightly too short for a legitimate 8 round capacity and the spring is overworked and fails early, but people keep buying and recommending them anyway. Wilson came out with the ETM because of problems with the 47D.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
"What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
"An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
jessegpresley's Avatar
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 3,870
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
On a sad note-at a little over 1100 rounds, my Springfield had it's FIRST malfunction ever! I had a Fail to Feed in the middle of my mag. Looked like the round just didn't make it up the ramp. I dropped the mag to clear it and the round fell out the bottom. I did that without thinking, so I didn't get a good look at exactly what happened. Only shot a total of 50 rounds between the Les Baer and the Springf
Try to engrain "Tap Rack" into your malfunction clearance drill instead of dropping the mag.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
The Wilson magazines that weren't holding the slide open were probably 47D's. When the magazine spring is weak it doesn't push the slide stop up enough and if the slide is a bit soft you can get peening and rounding of the notch.

It's a known issue with that magazine as the tube is slightly too short for a legitimate 8 round capacity and the spring is overworked and fails early, but people keep buying and recommending them anyway. Wilson came out with the ETM because of problems with the 47D.
Yeah, was thinking it was mag related too. I've heard a lot of good things about the Wilson's, but have also heard of the issues you mention along with a soft follower which can get soft or pitted. If/when I get more mags, I'll probably check out Chip McCormick power plus (but since I got nothing to put IN the mags, why bother! LOL!).
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Try to engrain "Tap Rack" into your malfunction clearance drill instead of dropping the mag.
Since this was at an indoor range, I didn't want to rack a perfectly good round into the range area. Besides, I'm ok without having to do malfunction drills.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
chickenfried's Avatar
chickenfried chickenfried is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a Chevelle, down by the river
Posts: 7,149
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

Is the bluing around the front strap checkering gone?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1echo View Post
Hollywood is satan!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
Is the bluing around the front strap checkering gone?
You know, I didn't really notice it until now. But it looks like that or just a lot of residue and gunk from not being cared for.

One thing I didn't mention was that I REALLY like the larger sized thumb safety. Even though my Springfield has a decent sized thumb safety, the one on the Les Baer was nice and beefy.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2013, 1:22 PM
teflondog's Avatar
teflondog teflondog is offline
Legendary Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,509
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
Is the bluing around the front strap checkering gone?
That would be my guess. Baer's bluing is pretty thin. After only a week of daily shooting, my TRS already showed wear on the grip safety, MSH, and checkering on the front strap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2013, 3:48 PM
jessegpresley's Avatar
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 3,870
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Big safeties are usually on bullseye/ competition/range guns and thinner safeties on carry/SD guns.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2013, 3:56 PM
Lead Waster's Avatar
Lead Waster Lead Waster is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 13,836
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Wow, so all that abuse of rental and it still shoots well? Cool!


Les Baer ... one day...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-08-2013, 4:11 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
That would be my guess. Baer's bluing is pretty thin. After only a week of daily shooting, my TRS already showed wear on the grip safety, MSH, and checkering on the front strap.
IMHO, there's nothing more beautiful than a blued gun with some honest to goodness wear!!! Made me regret getting my stainless one and wanting a blued gun SO BAD! I'm a real big sucker for Colt's bluing though. It just seems to have 'IT'.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-08-2013, 4:13 PM
fullspeed1's Avatar
fullspeed1 fullspeed1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,853
iTrader: 68 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
That would be my guess. Baer's bluing is pretty thin. After only a week of daily shooting, my TRS already showed wear on the grip safety, MSH, and checkering on the front strap.
That's called character
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2013, 4:20 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Wow, so all that abuse of rental and it still shoots well? Cool!


Les Baer ... one day...
Yeah, I hear ya!

Although I would like to say I did it justice, it held up it's end of the bargain when I did mine! When it was all said and done, I had a fairly nice ragged hole in the center with the aforementioned flyers. It was about 2" round about the bullseye (1" around the bullseye). This was at 25 yards...NAH!! Just kidding! Only 7 yards. Total of 40 rounds which included 10 from my Springfield. Sure is nice to see big ole 230 grain hardball holes after you've been shooting .22's all morning!

__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2013, 4:24 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed1 View Post
That's called character
Yup! You KNOW it hasn't only seen the inside of a safe it's whole life!

Tried to find the link to Tiger McKee's 1911. Looks beat to crap! But, lovely. Just lovely.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 AM
luchador768 luchador768 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,259
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

I did about ten holster draws with my Les, took the muzzle edge blueing right off. I like the look of a well used gun. Great guns, I wish my local range had such neat guns to rent!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2013, 5:03 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post
I did about ten holster draws with my Les, took the muzzle edge blueing right off. I like the look of a well used gun. Great guns, I wish my local range had such neat guns to rent!
I was actually surprised to see the Les Baer on their list of guns to rent! Their case is a mess of gun residue encrusted black pistols. Plus, to these old eyes, all of the black starts to look the same. They actually have 2 for rent. One is the Premier II that I rented and a Thunder Ranch Special. I may give that a whirl the next time as I didn't care for the black on black iron sights of the Premier II.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2013, 9:39 PM
bsg bsg is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: san gabriel valley
Posts: 24,374
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

if a range gun could speak, the first words spoken might be... "why me?"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
sirgiles's Avatar
sirgiles sirgiles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,352
iTrader: 129 / 99%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I was actually surprised to see the Les Baer on their list of guns to rent! Their case is a mess of gun residue encrusted black pistols. Plus, to these old eyes, all of the black starts to look the same. They actually have 2 for rent. One is the Premier II that I rented and a Thunder Ranch Special. I may give that a whirl the next time as I didn't care for the black on black iron sights of the Premier II.
they sell les baer. so it is no coincidence that have it for rent.
__________________
"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM
mud99 mud99 is offline
Mall Ninja
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,060
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Went to Reeds yesterday with the wife and packing my Springfield Loaded 1911, Sig Sauer SP2022 and Ruger Mark III 22/45.

Couldn't resist the temptation, so I rented a Les Baer Premier II with 50 rounds ($27/50).

It was kind of sad. There was gunpowder residue build up in front of the barrel, all over in fact. There were some dings and dents from being a rental. (Excuse the sucky pic)



From all of the stories I've heard, I was expecting to have to wrestle with it to rack the slide. But, it was easy! About the same as my Springfield!

First, the wife shot the Ruger and her Sig. Then, I warmed up with the Ruger 22/45 and put about 50 rounds downrange. Then, I shot my 1911. Felt good. Big difference in recoil! LOL!

Now, on to the Les Baer. Kind of intimidated, so I threw the first one down a bit. Ugh. Pearls before swine. When I dropped the empty mag, the slide closed! Locked the slide back and noticed a tiny dent on the back of the notch in the slide. The slide lock didn't seem to fully engage the notch. Chalking it up to a worn, battered and neglected pistol. Shot a few more and oddly, the slide didn't lock back on empty? Weird. They were using Wilson Combat mags, so after that, I switched over to my stock Springfield mags and no more problems.

On to the highlights. The trigger is AMAZING!!! At least once or twice, when I let the trigger reset and coming back up on target, the gun would go off. Not used to that light of a trigger. VERY easy to let the gun shoot. Very nice sights (even though they were iron sights). Even though it was in poor shape, the blued finish is more of a black color. Maybe it was the lighting, but I still prefer the Colt blue color. I wasn't sure how I would like the slide serrations, but they were great! They look sharper, but they're much easier to get a grip of over the notch-like serrations in my Springfield.

On a sad note-at a little over 1100 rounds, my Springfield had it's FIRST malfunction ever! I had a Fail to Feed in the middle of my mag. Looked like the round just didn't make it up the ramp. I dropped the mag to clear it and the round fell out the bottom. I did that without thinking, so I didn't get a good look at exactly what happened. Only shot a total of 50 rounds between the Les Baer and the Springfield using just that one mag (aside from a few with the Wilson Combat).

All-in-all, it was a great day at the range! (2nd day in a row I went shooting!). Rented a legendary pistol, had a great time and since we went during a work day, there wasn't a big crowd. Chatting with the guys behind the counter about the Les Baer, he goes "We even have one in stock!" Ugh. Just what I need. Maybe...
According to the guy at the counter at Reeds, that Les Baer has more than 100,000 rounds through it.

It was broken when I tried to rent it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
According to the guy at the counter at Reeds, that Les Baer has more than 100,000 rounds through it.

It was broken when I tried to rent it.
100k rounds!! Wow... And probably only cleaned once or twice! I doubt it's broken. They're probably just trying to fix it up a bit. When I turned it back in, I let them know about the slide not locking back on empty and that the grip panels were a bit loose. Hmmm...Maybe the bushings got stripped...Then, yeah. Broken.

Did you rent the Thunder Ranch then? It would be funny if they were both broken at the same time.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
TKM's Avatar
TKM TKM is offline
AntisocialJusticeWarrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Where we send crazy old people to a home, not The White House.
Posts: 6,664
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Talking

The cardboard box must be all worn out by now.
__________________
NRA Patron Member CRPA/Life Member/CGF Contributor/

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.


“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:10 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.