Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-08-2013, 1:20 AM

Default M&P9 Pistol Cleaning products?

Hi all,
I will be picking up my S&W M&P9 in a week and am planning to take it to the range the week after. Because this is my first gun, and I intend to take good care of it to keep it reliable as I might need to use it someday for self defense.

I'd appreciate any suggestion of Cleaning/Maintenance products to use.

what's the difference between Ballistol & Hoppe's Solvent? which is better for handgun? or which do you prefer?
what would be a good lubricant for the gun?
do I have to use a silicon cloth to wipe the gun?
anything else that I'll need for maintenance of the gun?
how often should a gun be cleaned? how often do you clean yours?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 2:24 AM

I have an M&P9 as well and I use MPRO-7 for cleaning and CLP Breakfree for lube. CLP can be used for cleaning but I found it's a better lube. Eezox isn't too bad for cleaning either. I just use a regular microfiber rag to wipe the gun down. The M&Ps are tough guns so using special cloths shouldn't be a big deal. I like cleaning mine after every trip to the range but people have gone for thousands of rounds without a cleaning and they shoot everytime. I shoot all kinda ammo through mine as well, especially steel cased. Good choice for your first gun. My favorite gun by far.
Old 02-08-2013, 5:28 AM

I also have an M&P9 (great gun) and use MPro-7 for cleaning the internals, CLP Breakfree for the exterior and Slip-2000 for lube.

I use a microfiber cloth, cotton rag or cotton patches to wipe down the gun. I used to have one of those Hoppe's silicone cloths, but didn't really like using it; it made everything feel a bit too greasy for me.

I usually clean after every range visit.
Old 02-08-2013, 6:05 AM

I've used Hoppes and it works. I switched to Froglube and haven't use my Hoppes since. I use Froglube in all my firearms including M&P 9 and 45. I like the fact that I can clean in my house without the smell and worry of what I might spill. It's biodegradable, non-toxic, non-hazardous, nonflammable. It's green and has a nice minty smell to it. It works really well, just wipe off the carbon residue with a microfiber cloth and reapply more after clean. It's a CLP, so cleaner, preservative, lubricant. I don't wipe down my M&P since I have the FL applied to all surfaces, except the frame. I clean my firearms after every outing, my preference is having clean guns. I'm sure that the M&P would function after hundreds of rounds without cleaning, but I'm not willing to test that, yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerorye351w View Post
I've used Hoppes and it works. I switched to Froglube and haven't use my Hoppes since. I use Froglube in all my firearms including M&P 9 and 45. I like the fact that I can clean in my house without the smell and worry of what I might spill. It's biodegradable, non-toxic, non-hazardous, nonflammable. It's green and has a nice minty smell to it. It works really well, just wipe off the carbon residue with a microfiber cloth and reapply more after clean. It's a CLP, so cleaner, preservative, lubricant. I don't wipe down my M&P since I have the FL applied to all surfaces, except the frame. I clean my firearms after every outing, my preference is having clean guns. I'm sure that the M&P would function after hundreds of rounds without cleaning, but I'm not willing to test that, yet.
I use the Froglube solvent/CLP as well on my M&P 9. I clean after each trip using a boresnake for the barrel and field stripping and wiping everything down on/in the gun with a microfiber rag. I only use the solvent on the barrel (after initially using it to get id of all the shipping/factory oils/lubricants).
Old 02-08-2013, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Ballistol. Does it all. If your LGS doesn't have it, Amazon.
Old 02-08-2013, 7:27 AM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

what's the difference between Ballistol & Hoppe's Solvent? Ballistol is a non toxic lubricant and cleaner that smell like old wet sock. Hoppe is a toxic cleaner but not so much a lubricant that smell nice.

which is better for handgun? or which do you prefer? I prefer Ballistol and Froglube.

what would be a good lubricant for the gun? I pick Ballistol or Froglube

do I have to use a silicon cloth to wipe the gun? No.

anything else that I'll need for maintenance of the gun? M&Ps are reliable weapons but I would suggest to clean it every outing. It doesn't hurt.

how often should a gun be cleaned? See above.

how often do you clean yours? Every range trip.

Sent from iPhone
Old 02-08-2013, 8:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The M&P is a tough handgun and doesn't require anything special. I like M-Pro7 cleaner their Bore Gel because it doesn't stink up the house and it works great. I also use Breakfree CLP for the lube and wipe down exposed metal parts with a thin coat and then wipe dry. It's Melonite over stainless so it's darn rugged.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-09-2013, 9:07 PM

thanks folks!
I am debating between ballistol and froglube.

i don't want ballistol to stink up the house, but i don't like having to heat up the gun before applying the froglube (they come in a liquid & paste form)... why does the froglube kit comes in 2 forms? why don't they just sell the liquid form?
Old 02-09-2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taio View Post
thanks folks!

i don't want ballistol to stink up the house, but i don't like having to heat up the gun before applying the froglube (they come in a liquid & paste form)... why does the froglube kit comes in 2 forms? why don't they just sell the liquid form?
Both Turner's and my LGS sell Frog Lube individually in paste or liquid form. Check and see if your LGS can order them that way.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:57 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have been using Hoppes Elite (no smell) and Fp-10 for Lube. Works great, no problems.
COTEP #227

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM

I use ballistol exclusively, since it's what I have at work.

I've got 1500+ rounds through my M&P .45 (dept issued) and have had no problems.

Do not just glob the stuff (whatever lube you use) all over the internals and expect to get it all off. I'm a dept. armorer and am doing a yearly maintenance on our pistols, and it's a pain having to take the pistol down to bare frame to get all the gunk out (too much lube attracts gunk.)

The area you especially do not want to get any lube is the striker channel/bushing. It's actually really easy to break down and clean (to bare frame), but not something I would trust to the average officer in my dept.

Last edited by USM0083; 02-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 02-10-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taio View Post
thanks folks!

The gel & liquid are the same thing, the liquid is a bit easier to apply to the barrel. You only need to do the Heat treatment 2-3 times in order to season the gun thereafter it's just wipe the fouling off w/ a micro towel.
Old 02-10-2013, 4:39 PM

I started off using the MPro7 cleaning kit on my M&P9. Came with the cleaner, oil, a nylon brush and rod/patches.

Shortly after I converted the gun to FrogLube and all I really use now is FrogLube (have both kinds), paper towels, qtips, and a boresnake. For the M&P9, I pretty much only used the FrogLube paste. If you went down this road, you could get away with one type or the other if you wanted. It wasn't until I did a detail strip on a 1911 to convert it, did I need both the paste and the liquid.

You really don't need much to properly maintain a M&P. A few cleaning tools like a nylon brush and boresnake are good things to have regardless, and then pick your poison with lubrication. No need to wipe down with a silicone cloth either.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle