Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-09-2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
Lol, didn't you know spending $3500 for a NHC is only because they use fancy metals?

But seriously just look at that picture he posted. Cheap *** red dot on a shotgun with Hornady Zombie 12 gauge rounds, a cheap Ka-Bar knock off, and a flashlight in an illogical position. He's obviously new to guns and is just buying **** that looks cool without any understanding of what he's actually doing.

Just live and let live. If he wants to be cheap with his stuff, it's his prerogative.
Am i supposed to spend $500 on a red dot for a S/G? You would wouldnt you?

The Hornady's were one of few options for defense loads. Plus, they are black. That alone makes them practical enough for me. Ammo isnt exactly overflowing around here.

Cheap Ka-Bar knockoff. I dont know if you are blind or just plain stupid, but thats authentic bud. Not that it matters... Ka-Bars (including that one) are about $60. No reason to buy a knockoff...

Illogical flashlight position. Perhaps I should have it mounted on the rail where my RDS is. I suppose despite the general consensus on shotgun tac lights as designed by companies like Surefire, i shouldnt actually mount my light vertically below the mag tube...

You, sir, are a douche. Now that ive said it, have a nice day
Old 02-09-2013, 6:39 PM

My RIA is strictly my range and match gun, reason behind the sights. For home defense I've got my other colt, which will give me time to get to my AR, Mini-14 or preferred home defense, Remington 870.

Again, modify for what you need, and for my RIA, I need help with speeding up sight aquisition for steel and uspsa, hence white dot or FO. It's all preference really. If I need to, I'm sure I could use those sights to defend myself.
Old 02-09-2013, 6:46 PM

Definitely a nice RIA Soul Which magwell did you get for it and did you have to mod the inside of the grips to get it to fit flushly? Also, do you notice a drawback to using the Hogue style finger groove grips? I have heard people say those make the gun flex a bit when shooting and causes problems with having to readjust your grip. Have you experienced said phenomenon?
Old 02-09-2013, 6:50 PM

I ended up pulling out my old Ka-Bar and it seems they did etch their name into the blade vertically on the blade. I will concede that I was wrong on the Ka-Bar knockoff. Everything else I said still stands.

You'll find out soon enough why you're wrong about the red dots. But then again you probably won't actually shoot your shotgun besides once to show off how cool you are. And you're an idiot for thinking that Surefire setup is the same as your setup.

Of course, I'm too stupid to know anything since I spent my money on expensive metals.
And menstrual cramps? Seriously, you [nrakid88] have complained about more things here than I think I have ever seen in a single thread ...air quality, noise, discomfort from glasses, "feminine attributes," and "macho masculinity," and sexism (there's an ironic disconnect here somewhere), compassion, grammar, people "tearing you down," your more-sensitive-than-normal ears, people who you perceive to be recoil-sensitive, how you "FEEL", liberals........ are you for real???
Old 02-09-2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
Definitely a nice RIA Soul Which magwell did you get for it and did you have to mod the inside of the grips to get it to fit flushly? Also, do you notice a drawback to using the Hogue style finger groove grips? I have heard people say those make the gun flex a bit when shooting and causes problems with having to readjust your grip. Have you experienced said phenomenon?
To answer your first question. When no one is home, practice clearing your home with the lights off or in low light. Regardless of FO, DOT or Trijicon, it'll still be hard to see. I hold a flashlight with my left hand and hold my pistol in my right, with the flashlight on the right side, resting my right forearm over my left. I practice at the range 2-3 times a week, one thing to practice is point of aim, without using the sights. 9 times out 10, in a close quarter home confrontation that's most likely what you'll be doing out of reaction.

The magwell is the cheaper wilson combat, I've had no issues with it during matches and works fine other than it sliding back a little after each trip. To remedy all i do is tap it back into place with my palm. I have a feeling I'll be switching to a Smith & Alexander one piece magwell/main spring housing in the future.

As far as grips go, I have the factory, hogue, and vz aliens as well. The Pachmyrs are my favorite as it best compliments the forward thumbs grip I use. I've never had a problem with them flexing, they are firm and extremely grippy at the finger grooves. If you have really small hands, i wouldn't recommend them, if you've got larger, then they're the way to go.
Old 02-09-2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
I ended up pulling out my old Ka-Bar and it seems they did etch their name into the blade vertically on the blade. I will concede that I was wrong on the Ka-Bar knockoff. Everything else I said still stands.

You'll find out soon enough why you're wrong about the red dots. But then again you probably won't actually shoot your shotgun besides once to show off how cool you are. And you're an idiot for thinking that Surefire setup is the same as your setup.

Of course, I'm too stupid to know anything since I spent my money on expensive metals.
Bro, its a fun gun... I bought it to have fun with it. And fun with it I have had. The RDS is specifically for shooting HP slugs, which I do have a stock on and just as a little icing on the cake, ive taken that RDS and this shotgun as shown (minus the light attached of course) to the range and shot trap with it, and with target load I was nailing an average of 19 out of 25 per round with it. A 20" barrel, no choke, with a "cheap *** red dot sight". Bottom line is I dont care about looking "pro" to people like you or anyone else. Its a fun little toy and I wouldnt change a thing about it.

As for its "practicality"... you are more than welcome to play the part of the intruder in my home and see how worthless my little home defender is.

Perhaps you would care to share this epic slice of knowledge you have found on the critical importance of specific light mount location. Id love to read it.

Edited to add: Its clear my statement about what people like you have spent thousands on in special model 1911's offended you. I honestly had no intention of doing so. There is definitely a reason you guys spend that kind of money and its definitely going to add precision machining and matched parts to the mix. Im talking about $900 - $1200 factory model SA's, Kimbers, Colts, SIG's, etc... not your precision machined "god" of a 1911... Id never personally spend that much on a pistol, but thats just me. If its reliability over all that im after, ill get a Glock. Save me thousands and get the most reliable pistol on the market. I miss my G21 anyways

Last edited by Slugz; 02-09-2013 at 7:11 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbyte View Post
To answer your first question. When no one is home, practice clearing your home with the lights off or in low light. Regardless of FO, DOT or Trijicon, it'll still be hard to see. I hold a flashlight with my left hand and hold my pistol in my right, with the flashlight on the right side, resting my right forearm over my left. I practice at the range 2-3 times a week, one thing to practice is point of aim, without using the sights. 9 times out 10, in a close quarter home confrontation that's most likely what you'll be doing out of reaction.

The magwell is the cheaper wilson combat, I've had no issues with it during matches and works fine other than it sliding back a little after each trip. To remedy all i do is tap it back into place with my palm. I have a feeling I'll be switching to a Smith & Alexander one piece magwell/main spring housing in the future.

As far as grips go, I have the factory, hogue, and vz aliens as well. The Pachmyrs are my favorite as it best compliments the forward thumbs grip I use. I've never had a problem with them flexing, they are firm and extremely grippy at the finger grooves. If you have really small hands, i wouldn't recommend them, if you've got larger, then they're the way to go.
Yeah I was leaning more toward the white dots, simply so there was something discernable over the plain black factory sights and I wouldnt have to drop as much cash to get the trijicons because as you said, they arent going to be the "end all" in low light without a flashlight anyways.

As for the grips, im a large guy with very large hands. The Glock 21 feels small to me, but to most ive talked to they complain the frame is too large for them. Ill give those grips a shot Thanks for all the help man! Really appreciate the advice.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:07 PM

Sure thing! Good luck man!

Side note: It's funny you bring up the Glock 21 being too large for most. Last night at a steel match there was a family of Koreans shooting, Father, Mother, Daughter and Grandmother. Mother and grandmother shot Baretta Storms, the Dad and Daugher shot Glock 21's. The daugher had to be like 80 pounds and 13yo. She was shooting hot loads and hit every target on every stage to the amazement of every other competitor. I was impressed!! I'll admit she did better than I did that night.

Edit: Corrected by my brother, they were shooting G26's.

Last edited by soulbyte; 02-09-2013 at 7:09 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbyte View Post
Sure thing! Good luck man!

Side note: It's funny you bring up the Glock 21 being too large for most. Last night at a steel match there was a family of Koreans shooting, Father, Mother, Daughter and Grandmother. Mother and grandmother shot Baretta Storms, the Dad and Daugher shot Glock 21's. The daugher had to be like 80 pounds and 13yo. She was shooting hot loads and hit every target on every stage to the amazement of every other competitor. I was impressed!! I'll admit she did better than I did that night.

Edit: Corrected by my brother, they were shooting G26's.

LOL thats a big difference. The "baby glock" frame chambered in 9x19 over the largest glock frame chambered in .45 LOL yeah that definitely makes more sense. But, still... nice to see a family sharing the shooters heritage, and doing well at it 9mm may not be hot loaded like the .45, but its still a punchy round from what I remember. havent shot it in a very long time.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:21 PM

I have a RIA GI model and the thing is a tack driver. If I were you I wouldn't change a thing on it again that's just me. Fired 1000's of rounds with no problems.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Bro, its a fun gun... I bought it to have fun with it. And fun with it I have had. The RDS is specifically for shooting HP slugs, which I do have a stock on and just as a little icing on the cake, ive taken that RDS and this shotgun as shown (minus the light attached of course) to the range and shot trap with it, and with target load I was nailing an average of 19 out of 25 per round with it. A 20" barrel, no choke, with a "cheap *** red dot sight". Bottom line is I dont care about looking "pro" to people like you or anyone else. Its a fun little toy and I wouldnt change a thing about it.

As for its "practicality"... you are more than welcome to play the part of the intruder in my home and see how worthless my little home defender is.

Perhaps you would care to share this epic slice of knowledge you have found on the critical importance of specific light mount location. Id love to read it.

Edited to add: Its clear my statement about what people like you have spent thousands on in special model 1911's offended you. I honestly had no intention of doing so. There is definitely a reason you guys spend that kind of money and its definitely going to add precision machining and matched parts to the mix. Im talking about $900 - $1200 factory model SA's, Kimbers, Colts, SIG's, etc... not your precision machined "god" of a 1911... Id never personally spend that much on a pistol, but thats just me. If its reliability over all that im after, ill get a Glock. Save me thousands and get the most reliable pistol on the market. I miss my G21 anyways
Expensive red dots are better for shotguns... especially if you're trying to shoot high power slugs. The reason those sights are expensive is they're designed to be beat around. By the operator, the environment, and the weapon's recoil. I'd be surprised if your red dot holds zero after 100 rounds if it even makes it to that point. There's even been reports of people shooting 00 Buck and having the glass in the optic crack. Save an extra month or so and get an entry level EOTech if you insist on running red dots on shotguns. Otherwise invest in ghost rings or ghost rings with tritium (might cost nearly as much as an entry level EOTech anyway).

As for the flashlight, take a class in low light gunfighting. Lights are meant to be flashed on and off quickly to identify a target, blind them, and throw everyone in the dark again. However, now your target is blind, disorientated, and less likely to get a precisely aimed shot off at you. On the other hand you should have a very good idea on whether or not it's a shoot/no shoot situation, know where your target is, and get a feel for whether or not you can comfortably engage your target without hitting something you don't want to hit. The Surefire has quick push button switches accessible by reaction hand thumb. Your flashlight mounting is awkward to reach unless you just turn it on and leave it on, but then you're pretty much saying "shoot here". A cheap work around without having to buy the $$$ Surefire fore end is a 45 degree offset so your thumb can reach it or just mount it on the left side of the forearm instead of the bottom.

And in the firearms industry you almost always get what you pay for. There are exceptions of course (i.e. Colt's pony logo), but for the most part there's a reason why Kimber, SA, Colt, etc. can charge $1000 for a 1911 that looks almost the same on paper as a RIA. There is a difference and for the most part it's worth the extra $500.
And menstrual cramps? Seriously, you [nrakid88] have complained about more things here than I think I have ever seen in a single thread ...air quality, noise, discomfort from glasses, "feminine attributes," and "macho masculinity," and sexism (there's an ironic disconnect here somewhere), compassion, grammar, people "tearing you down," your more-sensitive-than-normal ears, people who you perceive to be recoil-sensitive, how you "FEEL", liberals........ are you for real???
Old 02-09-2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1105 View Post
I have a RIA GI model and the thing is a tack driver. If I were you I wouldn't change a thing on it again that's just me. Fired 1000's of rounds with no problems.
I keep hearing this more and more the deeper i dig. im gettin giddy over here lol i HATE waiting for guns to clear background checks.... cant wait to try mine out I have pretty high expectations from all the good reviews ive read. I hope she doesnt let me down. Ive seen a lot of lower end models stovepipe all to hell at the range. Mostly Taurus 92FS and 1911 clones.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:47 PM

Those are all of my RIA 1911 pistols with mods...I have 5 so far. And they are all work horses!

Gunsmithing by the OC Gunsmith: http://www.ocgunsmith.com/
Refinishing by Mac's Shootin' Irons: http://www.shootiniron.com/

As a "basic" or "Plain Jane" 1911, you can't beat the Rock Island Arsenal 1911's as made by Armscor in the Philippines. The RIA series of 1911 pistols are a great "base gun" ready to be customized for whatever purpose you desire and will accept the vast majority of parts that a regular Colt would accept. I'm really pleased with mine. Most of those pistols there have a minimum of 3000 rounds through them, and the OD green and black pistol has many more, so I can't complain. Yeah, I've replaced pins, springs, etc. and I've upgraded a lot of the parts to fit my needs, but if you play rough with your toys, things wear down, and if you want to modify a gun for a specific purpose, then do it. The beauty is, with the RIA series, you can swap out parts easily and still not break the bank. For my money, the RIA 1911's work just fine and any gunsmith worth his salt can work on them just as easy as a more expensive gun. If you want specific info about what parts work or what not, please feel free to PM me. --1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 02-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Better pictures.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:55 PM

xanatos, explains it well, one thing he mentioned that I didn't was the use of disorienting. I should have told you my light is a strobe.

1911shooterphil, what rail is that on the very top grey 1911? looks sweet! Nice RIA's!
Old 02-09-2013, 7:58 PM

One thing to be wary of with strobes is some people feel as if the entire world is moving in slow motion when a bright light is strobing (even from the shooter end) which can lead to slowed reflexes. Not saying that you should avoid strobing weapon lights, but just be aware of that it may affect your ability to respond in a violent fight for life situation.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Expensive red dots are better for shotguns... especially if you're trying to shoot high power slugs. The reason those sights are expensive is they're designed to be beat around. By the operator, the environment, and the weapon's recoil. I'd be surprised if your red dot holds zero after 100 rounds if it even makes it to that point. There's even been reports of people shooting 00 Buck and having the glass in the optic crack. Save an extra month or so and get an entry level EOTech if you insist on running red dots on shotguns. Otherwise invest in ghost rings or ghost rings with tritium (might cost nearly as much as an entry level EOTech anyway).

As for the flashlight, take a class in low light gunfighting. Lights are meant to be flashed on and off quickly to identify a target, blind them, and throw everyone in the dark again. However, now your target is blind, disorientated, and less likely to get a precisely aimed shot off at you. On the other hand you should have a very good idea on whether or not it's a shoot/no shoot situation, know where your target is, and get a feel for whether or not you can comfortably engage your target without hitting something you don't want to hit. The Surefire has quick push button switches accessible by reaction hand thumb. Your flashlight mounting is awkward to reach unless you just turn it on and leave it on, but then you're pretty much saying "shoot here". A cheap work around without having to buy the $$$ Surefire fore end is a 45 degree offset so your thumb can reach it or just mount it on the left side of the forearm instead of the bottom.

And in the firearms industry you almost always get what you pay for. There are exceptions of course (i.e. Colt's pony logo), but for the most part there's a reason why Kimber, SA, Colt, etc. can charge $1000 for a 1911 that looks almost the same on paper as a RIA. There is a difference and for the most part it's worth the extra $500.
An interesting read. Very informative. You are right, I really should take a few courses on home defense, and especially low light gunfighting. But, I do know that the light should not remain "on" for more than a second or two to identify, clear the room and move on. As I stated when i posted that pic, it was out of date and I had made some other adjustments, including some to the light system. When I shot that pic I was still waiting on the 2 part order to come in for the other pieces I needed to complete the light setup. A tri rail fore mount, a rail connector specifically built for the Fenix tac light, and a Fenix pressure switch to mount to the forearm. I knew I wanted the light to remain as far forward as practical, mainly to keep the slack on the coiled wire from being clumsy and obstructive. As it sits right now is as pictured below. Its a bit far forward, but I didnt want the barrel/mag to obstruct the spread of the light and I didnt care enough to match it out perfectly flush. It works fine as-is.

As for the RDS, its a TRUGLO. That company is supported by Mossberg. The sight was right around $100 and with all the rounds ive put down range with it, its lasted for me. Its not a Barska lol

I appreciate the insight. One day id like to get a ghost ring setup attached to mine. Not sure I can do it without the use of one of those full length rail/heat shield combos, and that is a bit much just to put some iron sights on. Not to mention the added height wouldnt lend itself to pinpoint accuracy true to sight. So I think for that Ill just go with a 590A1 one day when I have the extra cash. For now, im beyond confident with this little chunk of steel/aluminum. 500+ rounds and not one failure of any kind.

Quote:
One thing to be wary of with strobes is some people feel as if the entire world is moving in slow motion when a bright light is strobing (even from the shooter end) which can lead to slowed reflexes. Not saying that you should avoid strobing weapon lights, but just be aware of that it may affect your ability to respond in a violent fight for life situation.
As for strobes, mine is a plain 260 lumen spotlight. No fancy circuitry. I dont like the idea of strobes, as like you, i feel they do something to impair the user as well as the assailant. im sure with some safeguards they can be used effectively, but id much rather just be simple on that type of thing and leave the strobing to my own fingers if need be with the pressure switch.

Last edited by Slugz; 02-09-2013 at 8:07 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post

Those are all of my RIA 1911 pistols with mods...I have 5 so far. And they are all work horses!

Gunsmithing by the OC Gunsmith: http://www.ocgunsmith.com/
Refinishing by Mac's Shootin' Irons: http://www.shootiniron.com/

As a "basic" or "Plain Jane" 1911, you can't beat the Rock Island Arsenal 1911's as made by Armscor in the Philippines. The RIA series of 1911 pistols are a great "base gun" ready to be customized for whatever purpose you desire and will accept the vast majority of parts that a regular Colt would accept. I'm really pleased with mine. Most of those pistols there have a minimum of 3000 rounds through them, and the OD green and black pistol has many more, so I can't complain. Yeah, I've replaced pins, springs, etc. and I've upgraded a lot of the parts to fit my needs, but if you play rough with your toys, things wear down, and if you want to modify a gun for a specific purpose, then do it. The beauty is, with the RIA series, you can swap out parts easily and still not break the bank. For my money, the RIA 1911's work just fine and any gunsmith worth his salt can work on them just as easy as a more expensive gun. If you want specific info about what parts work or what not, please feel free to PM me. --1911ShooterPhil
Thank you! I really appreciate you lending me your expertise on these firearms and with that collection im sure you have a lot of valuable advice to offer on tricking mine out. Im especially interested in the one in the middle with what look to be half-golfball grips. Thats the kind of general look im going for. Blacked out frame/slide with grips of my own choice, stainless appointments and a nice magwell. Absolutely gorgeous How much gunsmith fitting did you need for those aftermarket externals?
Old 02-09-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks Xanatos
Old 02-09-2013, 8:14 PM

I knew your optic was a Tru Glo when you first posted that picture. Their bright green/orange lettering is hard to miss. Sadly the reports on those are all over the place. I've seen first hand accounts and read many more of those optics cracking within the first 10 rounds on Mossberg 500's. I've also heard of people using them on .308 with no problem. For me, especially on a home defense shotgun, I'd rather have piece of mind with a $375 EOTech 512. Spend another $100 on a quality quick release mount and it can move from HD shotgun to AR (when you get one) for range use.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:37 PM

anatos;10482553]I knew your optic was a Tru Glo when you first posted that picture. Their bright green/orange lettering is hard to miss. Sadly the reports on those are all over the place. I've seen first hand accounts and read many more of those optics cracking within the first 10 rounds on Mossberg 500's. I've also heard of people using them on .308 with no problem. For me, especially on a home defense shotgun, I'd rather have piece of mind with a $375 EOTech 512. Spend another $100 on a quality quick release mount and it can move from HD shotgun to AR (when you get one) for range use.[/QUOTE]

True on all counts. Better quality is more desirable no doubt. But it is mostly just for plinking and with a few hundred rounds through it, its held up strong for me. For an AR id much rather have a really nice low profile holographic with a few reticle choices built in, but I don't have an AR yet and the way things are going, i may never get the chance lol well, not without purchasing black market anyways. But for my SG i don't keep the sight on it when its sitting next to the bed waiting for an intruder. Don't need it for buckshot at close range lol
Old 02-10-2013, 9:58 AM

PM sent.
Old 02-10-2013, 3:02 PM

I didn't read through all the responses, but I'll give you my $0.02:

The only things I would even think about changing initially are the grips (which were awful and lopsided on my Tac), the sights (hard to pick up on a black/dark target), and the springs (poor quality from the factory). Grips/sights are a personal preference, but VZ makes some great looking grips and Dawson Precision makes a FO front sight that fits RIA's cut. Wolff is the most often recommended manufacturer for quality aftermarket springs... depending on the ammo you use you might want to experiment with different spring strengths. Here's a couple good threads on the topic of recoil spring strengths:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-604784.html

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...howtopic=54304

They both also touch on the effect of mainspring strength and the radius of the firing pin stop on recoil/cycling. Interesting read
Old 02-10-2013, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalC View Post
I didn't read through all the responses, but I'll give you my $0.02:

The only things I would even think about changing initially are the grips (which were awful and lopsided on my Tac), the sights (hard to pick up on a black/dark target), and the springs (poor quality from the factory). Grips/sights are a personal preference, but VZ makes some great looking grips and Dawson Precision makes a FO front sight that fits RIA's cut.
Which specific front sight did you use? Do you have a part number? Fusion gave me a suggestion for a front/rear white dot set but I'm open to suggestions...
Old 02-11-2013, 1:41 PM

soulbyte - honestly, ive never used rear fibers, the smith i went to had the white dot's in his box and switched them in for the black on black that it came with.

i like the idea of fiber front and fiber rear.

for me personally so far the white rear and the fiber front has been perfect. the red dot shows up between the two white dot's and the contrast is pretty nice.

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 02-11-2013, 1:43 PM

also if you go with fiber, carry some spare lengths with you, i was at a tactical shoot and my front fiber broke off and flew away.

i was able to finish by using it as a kind of ghost ring site. but it wasnt optimal

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 02-11-2013, 3:51 PM

I like my 1911's simple...it will do everything I need it to just like it did in Europe in 43-44.

Old 02-11-2013, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't buy anything here View Post
I like my 1911's simple...it will do everything I need it to just like it did in Europe in 43-44.

Beautiful.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMail View Post
soulbyte - honestly, ive never used rear fibers, the smith i went to had the white dot's in his box and switched them in for the black on black that it came with.

i like the idea of fiber front and fiber rear.

for me personally so far the white rear and the fiber front has been perfect. the red dot shows up between the two white dot's and the contrast is pretty nice.
Now THAT'S an interesting idea...
Old 02-11-2013, 8:43 PM

Ive thought about the fiber optics, but I dont like how they look. You have all this beautiful black and/or silver tone melded together with style and class, then you got these fluorescent orange/green plastic things sitting on top of it that look like they belong on an airsoft gun. I dont doubt their function, but for my pistol I want the sights to provide at least a modicum of both style AND function. Plus, as one user stated, those "fiber optic" rods break over time. I want something thats kind of "set it and forget it".

I really like the Novak style "combat sights" i guess you could call them. But I dont want trijicons mainly due to the price:functionality ratio. I saw a pair about 10 years ago or so that was basically just a low profile rear sight that was kind of shaped like a really wide and shallow "V" with a vertical white line going up the middle, and in the front was a really oversized white dot. The idea was to sit the ball ontop of the pole and that was your sight line. It was designed to offer really fast target acquisition and high visibility. Problem is, I dont recall who made it, or what that style of sight was even called Anyone know what im talking about? and if they make these in a setup that would fit my RIA?
Old 02-11-2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Ive thought about the fiber optics, but I dont like how they look. You have all this beautiful black and/or silver tone melded together with style and class, then you got these fluorescent orange/green plastic things sitting on top of it that look like they belong on an airsoft gun. I dont doubt their function, but for my pistol I want the sights to provide at least a modicum of both style AND function. Plus, as one user stated, those "fiber optic" rods break over time. I want something thats kind of "set it and forget it".
Slugz, not to sound combative or anything, but now it kinda seems like you're really basing your opinions on what you find on the forums, and not from shooting experience. Aren't you still waiting on your RIA to pick up? Until you actually go shoot your RIA (and I'm talking 1500+ rounds), I'm not really sure you know what you need. Have you ever used fiber optic sights? Both those sights pictured are Novak sights and far from "airsoft". Target acquisition alone is improved tremendously. I shoot indoor low light steel/uspsa weekly, and with just plain black sights its difficult. In fact, by consensus, the first thing most people change on the RIA's are the grips and sights. By actually shooting your RIA you'd know that the factory sites shoot low at 25 yards because the font sight is .180 tall. By shooting you'll find out that your sight picture is not #2 but #3 on RIA tacticals.

If you want something to set and forget, I recommend just leaving your gun alone. Best advice, stop basing decisions on what you find on forums and shoot your gun. That's the only way you will know what you need to change and what you need to improve.

Last edited by soulbyte; 02-11-2013 at 9:59 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Personally I prefer the gold-bead front sights for their more traditional/old school look. I shoot mostly at indoor ranges and I have no problems picking them up. I'm sure they aren't as fast to pick up as fiber optics, but they don't break and they look right on 1911's to me.

I'm not fond of any 3 dot sight systems; all I care about is the front sight; dots on the rear just clutter my sight picture.

I don't mind solid black patridge sights if the lighting is decent, but I like the front sight to be serrated to give me a focus point/focus check if I use patridge.

Gold bead front on my custom Colt Combat Commander:

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 02-12-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM

redcliff, I love that gold bead look, classy and expensive! I'd prefer the rears black as well but need to change mine out for an adjustable rear. I'm a Colt man myself as well! Nice lookin piece
Old 02-12-2013, 8:00 AM

[soulbyte;10504946]Slugz, not to sound combative or anything, but now it kinda seems like you're really basing your opinions on what you find on the forums, and not from shooting experience. Aren't you still waiting on your RIA to pick up? Until you actually go shoot your RIA (and I'm talking 1500+ rounds), I'm not really sure you know what you need. Have you ever used fiber optic sights? Both those sights pictured are Novak sights and far from "airsoft". Target acquisition alone is improved tremendously. I shoot indoor low light steel/uspsa weekly, and with just plain black sights its difficult. In fact, by consensus, the first thing most people change on the RIA's are the grips and sights. By actually shooting your RIA you'd know that the factory sites shoot low at 25 yards because the font sight is .180 tall. By shooting you'll find out that your sight picture is not #2 but #3 on RIA tacticals.

If you want something to set and forget, I recommend just leaving your gun alone. Best advice, stop basing decisions on what you find on forums and shoot your gun. That's the only way you will know what you need to change and what you need to improve.[/QUOTE]

Never said they weren't good shooters, just said they were ugly. Now, if you want to argue performance with me that's fine, but honestly id agree with you. I know they work well as i
Have used them in the past. But you can't argue what i like to look at lol i know the sights need adjustment and haven't decided on what i need yet. Bottom line id that once i learn a sights characteristics i can adjust as needed our potentially even have them altered to be more accurate. If I was concerned with competition precision id get a really nice adjustable rear with a fiber front. This isn't my first rodeo... I've owned other pistols in the past. I still don't know as much as you our probably 90% of the user base here, but please don't translate a plethora of questions about 1911s specifically as me not knowing anything about handguns.

That said, i appreciate your advice. I will look deeper into a better option more specifically for my pistol. But, waiting for 1500 rounds to make that decision is too much. I don't get to the range as often as id like. Very busy and it can be costly to dump that many rounds. But mostly busy. With work and my sons baseball season starting up that I'm coaching, my schedule is only going to get worse lol
Old 02-12-2013, 8:53 AM

http://mobile.brownells.com/mobile/a...aspx?pid=16839

These are the sights i was thinking of. Anyone have experience with them?
Old 02-12-2013, 9:33 AM

Talking XS SIGHT SYSTEMS "Express Sights"

Quote:

I really like the Novak style "combat sights" i guess you could call them. But I dont want trijicons mainly due to the price:functionality ratio. I saw a pair about 10 years ago or so that was basically just a low profile rear sight that was kind of shaped like a really wide and shallow "V" with a vertical white line going up the middle, and in the front was a really oversized white dot. The idea was to sit the ball ontop of the pole and that was your sight line. It was designed to offer really fast target acquisition and high visibility. Problem is, I dont recall who made it, or what that style of sight was even called Anyone know what im talking about? and if they make these in a setup that would fit my RIA?
You are thinking about XS SIGHTS. The style is called "Express Sights" and they are similar to the sights used on dangerous game hunting rifles. On my "Custom Duty" 1911, my work carry gun, I installed XS SIGHT SYSTEMS Standard Express Sight Set for 1911 Govt. Rnd (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RESS-SIGHT-SET), part: 006-100-111WB.

Now, remember, the slide will have to be cut. Even on the RIA Tactical models. But, in the end, you will get a good "combat profile" sight system -- in other words, you won't get "minute of angle," but you wll get "minute of man," which is what counts. I have bad eyes, but even my eyes can make this system work. With this sight system, all you have to do is put the big dot in the middle of the V shape, and on top of the white line. Then, squeeze. On a man-sized target, you just place the big dot over the target's chest. Quick and instinctive, plus great for night time shooting. I love these sights. Check out the sight picture here:

Hope this helps.

--1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 02-12-2013 at 9:36 AM.. Reason: Added pictures...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Talking That's classy!

Can't buy anything here, I love your WWII 1911 there. That's a classy piece! By the way...who made that holster? I've never seen that pattern of chest holster. I have an M3 and an M7, but I have never seen that pattern. I love that it carries two spare magazines on the holster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't buy anything here View Post

You are right...sometimes simple does work. I still prefer a more refined "simple" gun though. This is my "Basic 1911":

Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 02-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: That's a classy 1911...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Here's what I did to mine, still not finished, the trigger is still on the list

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=674677
Old 02-12-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I definitely intend to have fun with it. Personally Id consider the RIA to be a "mid tier" weapon in the 1911 class, with Kimbers and other like brands being top level and Wilson combats and the like being categorized as "full customs".
Thank you for the good laugh in the morning.
Old 02-12-2013, 3:03 PM

Quote:
http://mobile.brownells.com/mobile/a...aspx?pid=16839

These are the sights i was thinking of. Anyone have experience with them?
Haven't used the XS sights but I had a fairly similar system on a Browning HP I used to carry. Front sight was a big gold bead and the rear was flat at the level of the bottom of the rear sight notch and extending to back of the slide. Insert into the rear sight and the back of the slide was a fairly narrow gold "bar." Sight picture was "dot on the bar."

I liked the set-up quite a bit. Worked well for the somewhat odd shooting style I was trained in where you kept your focus on the target and used almost peripheral vision to observe the sights. Not really wonderful for precision work, but damn fast for practical combat shooting. I had absolutely no problems making head shots at 10 yards with the system and 25 yard center-of-mass shots.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 02-12-2013, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
Can't buy anything here, I love your WWII 1911 there. That's a classy piece! By the way...who made that holster? I've never seen that pattern of chest holster. I have an M3 and an M7, but I have never seen that pattern. I love that it carries two spare magazines on the holster.
Thanks Phil...I tried doing some research on it and came up empty. I'm fairly sure it was made in theater for the good Colonel. There are no markings on it anywhere and a U.S. leathersmith would have stamped his name on it. Here's a fe more pics of the gun though....