Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-12-2013, 9:40 PM

Question S&W M&P 9 FS rear sight out of alignment?

I was cleaning my gun after a range session and I noticed it looks like my rear sight is skewed to the left. I've had the gun for about a month, I bought it new and I don't *think* it came this way but to be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't been too accurate with the gun, but that's primarily operator error. I've never dropped the gun, and its only been transported in the original S&W blue case.

I've attached the pictures below, is this how its supposed to look?

If its out of whack, would I be able to fix it myself, or should I go to a gunsmith. If I need to go to a gunsmith, how much is this probably going to run me? Is possible for this to happen with normal use?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM

That's not straight. Simple to drift back in place, just loosen up the allen screw, get you a nice soft punch (brass or delrin, hell, hard wood will work) and just make sure the slide is secured and give it a few good taps to get it back in the center. Just eyeball it unless you are particular, then bust out the calipers. They're fairly easy to move, not too tight, the allen screw holds it in place. Give it a shot!

George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb21 View Post
That's not straight. Simple to drift back in place, just loosen up the allen screw, get you a nice soft punch (brass or delrin, hell, hard wood will work) and just make sure the slide is secured and give it a few good taps to get it back in the center. Just eyeball it unless you are particular, then bust out the calipers. They're fairly easy to move, not too tight, the allen screw holds it in place. Give it a shot!
At this point I don't have any of the items/tools you listed
Old 02-13-2013, 4:23 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc736 View Post
At this point I don't have any of the items/tools you listed
Neither did I until I wanted to change some sights out. You can go to a smith if you don't want your own tools.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 02-13-2013, 4:39 AM
Veteran Member

Stop by the store you bought it. Any decent store would fix it for you in a couple minutes for free.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
Stop by the store you bought it. Any decent store would fix it for you in a couple minutes for free.
Bought it from a residential FFL, will give it a shot though!
Old 02-13-2013, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

The obvious question should be, where/how is it shooting?

Just looking at your picture, it is way too far over to the left...the hole for the striker block shouldn't be exposed...plus where is the plate that usually goes over it?

Was/Is the allen screw tight?
Has the rear sight been removed before?

The rear sight on my M&P9 wasn't over that much, but was printing about 2" left at 5-7 yards...of course, I had to get it printing 1" groups to be able to tell.

I moved it right using a wooden dowel with the end wrapped in cloth tape and using a piece of molding as a backing...but I was on the shooting line at the time.

I doubt a residential FFL will move it back for you, but you never know. If it is missing the Striker block plate, you might want to contact S&W CS
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM

I'm shooting low to the left, I assumed it was just my jerking my shot. What is the striker block cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
The obvious question should be, where/how is it shooting?

Just looking at your picture, it is way too far over to the left...the hole for the striker block shouldn't be exposed...plus where is the plate that usually goes over it?

Was/Is the allen screw tight?
Has the rear sight been removed before?

The rear sight on my M&P9 wasn't over that much, but was printing about 2" left at 5-7 yards...of course, I had to get it printing 1" groups to be able to tell.

I moved it right using a wooden dowel with the end wrapped in cloth tape and using a piece of molding as a backing...but I was on the shooting line at the time.

I doubt a residential FFL will move it back for you, but you never know. If it is missing the Striker block plate, you might want to contact S&W CS
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Shooting low can be recoil anticipation. Shooting to the left can be caused by your rear sight being misaligned.

If you have a bore sight, you can insert it into the bore, aim at a wall about 10' away and quickly check your left/right alignment. If it's off, you'll notice the laser dot will be off to the left. Correct it by moving the rear sight to the right until the laser dot lines up with the sights.
Old 02-13-2013, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm shooting low to the left, I assumed it was just my jerking my shot. What is the striker block cover?
You didn't say how tight a group you are able to hold, but I'd suspect it is trigger control also.

Strike Block Cover - The hole you see in the slide, peeking out from under the right side of your rear sight, contains the Striker Block, the Striker Block Spring and the Striker Block cover. It is a thin metal disc that slides over the hole in the slide after after the Striker Block and it's spring are inserted. It rides between the spring and the bottom of the rear sight body
Old 02-13-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
You didn't say how tight a group you are able to hold, but I'd suspect it is trigger control also.

Strike Block Cover - The hole you see in the slide, peeking out from under the right side of your rear sight, contains the Striker Block, the Striker Block Spring and the Striker Block cover. It is a thin metal disc that slides over the hole in the slide after after the Striker Block and it's spring are inserted. It rides between the spring and the bottom of the rear sight body
My groupings are relatively tight (for me at least), 3-4". Sometimes on a good mag I shoot them 1-2", its just consistently low and to the left.
Old 02-13-2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
My groupings are relatively tight (for me at least), 3-4". Sometimes on a good mag I shoot them 1-2", its just consistently low and to the left.
Shooting low left is probably a trigger control issue, but with the sight like that it's impossible to say. 3" - 4" at what distance?

timmyb is exactly right: Loosen the screw and use a punch to move it over. You don't need a vise. It would help but it's not required.

Put the slide on a towel, folded over, so it's nested slightly. Brace it with the hand that is holding the punch, then give the punch a gentle rap with the hammer. I have a hammer and punches will show you what to do if you're local. Where in Costa Mesa are you? (approx cross streets - PM me)

I just did this with a sight install on my pistols after they were affixed with thread locker.

Last edited by Case; 02-13-2013 at 5:17 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm going to figure you are shooting at a distance of about 7 yards

Without seeing your shoot, it would be hard to accurately diagnose.

But it is likely that you are anticipating the sights being on target and not moving the trigger finger independently of your gripping hand
Old 02-13-2013, 5:20 PM

Yes at 7 yards. I don't doubt that I'm doing something wrong, and I freely admit I'm not the best shot being a novice gun owner haha.
Old 02-13-2013, 5:41 PM

Newer M&P rear sights are loose in the dovetail. You shouldn't even need a punch to move it.

Usually the set screw works loose from firing and the sight moves.

Just push it back into place by hand, and crank down the set screw with a 1/16 hex.
Old 02-15-2013, 4:15 PM

I ended up taking it in to Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster. They accepted it as a warranty repair (authorized factory repair gunsmith for S&W) and will sight it in as well. I get it back sometime next week!