Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-07-2013, 7:19 PM

Default SR22 Problem. Help Please!

So after firing about 400 rounds out of my Sr 22 at the range, I went home to clean it. As I was using my copper brush to scrub the inside of the bore a thin chunk of metal came out. I am worried that I somehow screwed up the rifling of my bore and that piece is a thin sheet scraped off the rifling. Can anyone confirm this or have any experience with this? If I called it in to ruger do you think they would replace my barrel? Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130207_194247 (2).jpg (95.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 7:45 PM

I would think it'd be more like lead fouling just peeling off your barrel. Shot alot of unplated lead ammo? Just look down your barrel from the feed ramp side. Looks smooth? You're good to go.
Old 02-07-2013, 8:33 PM

I have shot about 900 rounds out of my sr22 and that has never happen to me cause I never shoot lead bullets out of my 22 its always copper coated try shooting that stuff and you will not have any worries
Old 02-07-2013, 8:44 PM

Looks like lead to me also. Soak the barrel in solvent overnight and then scrub the hell out of it. I use Lewis lead remover on my .45 and .357. Don't know if they make one for .22
Old 02-07-2013, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Its lead. Whatever ammo your using is leading the barrel. Some ammo does this more often. Some barrels lead up more easly. If its a problem, you may want to contact ruger and tell them exactly what ammo you are using and if leading is a problem. Perhaps you got a dud barrel with improperly cut rifling. I would give the barrel a super cleaning, make sure all the lead is out, then pay carefull attention as you shoot it and see if you can tell when it starts to lead up. I have a Beretta 21a that leads up bad with Blazer...and another one that doesn't. Something is dimentionally different between the two so it does happen.
Old 04-13-2013, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Update: My father just bought one of these SR-22's, took it to the range today for the first time. Put half a box (250 rds) of Winchester 555 36gr HP plated through it and it leaded the barrel bad. Pulled out about 4 times the amount of lead in the OP picture. Going to have to pay attention to see if the barrel smooths out or what. I've never seen plated bullets lead a barrel, but then I usually only shoot the Federal bulk, not Winchester.
Old 04-13-2013, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

You can always use a magnet if you're trying to determine whether something is lead or steel

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 04-13-2013, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP View Post
So after firing about 400 rounds out of my Sr 22 at the range, I went home to clean it. As I was using my copper brush to scrub the inside of the bore a thin chunk of metal came out. I am worried that I somehow screwed up the rifling of my bore and that piece is a thin sheet scraped off the rifling. Can anyone confirm this or have any experience with this? If I called it in to ruger do you think they would replace my barrel? Thanks for your help
Thats lead... Do not worry about that coming out, in fact you want it out.
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.