Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-15-2013, 5:54 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default CA Dept of Corrections to be opening testing soon

Quote:
Our online application for Correctional Officer will be open at 9:00 a.m. PST on Monday, March 4, 2013 through Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. PST. A link to the online application will be posted on www.joincdcr.com at 9:00 a.m. PST on Monday, March 4, 2013.

All potential candidates are encouraged to review Join Our Team, Before You Apply, Selection Components and Academy Life links located at www.joincdcr.com before making the choice to apply.

A link to the online application will be placed on our website beginning Monday, March 4, 2013 through Thursday, March 7, 2013. You must go online and file an application at one of the below websites if you want to apply for the examination. Do not submit a State application form (678) as it will not be accepted for this application.
Just wanted to post this up for those interested. Decent gig.
Old 02-15-2013, 7:45 PM

I have been doing this job for 26 years now and would encourage all that would think it is a Career move they would like to take, to take advantage of this opportunity. The Retirement has Changed but it will come back around in time. H
Old 02-16-2013, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Is cdcr sworn or non sworn status?
Old 02-16-2013, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Is cdcr sworn or non sworn status?
Sworn Peace Officer. You may purchase off list and high/standard capacity mags.
Old 02-16-2013, 7:30 AM

Sworn. 830.5pc
Old 02-16-2013, 8:21 AM

I took this test a few years back, it's super easy but long. Go to the bathroom before you go in.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Is cdcr job security good? Bad layoffs?
Old 02-16-2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Looking for a job change already?
Old 02-16-2013, 5:21 PM
Calguns Addict

No, my brother is thinking about CDCR.
Old 02-17-2013, 5:38 AM

Good pay and bene's. The job is decent, its what you make of it. Dont worry about layoffs. By the time you finish testing and the academy the layoffs will be done with.
Guns dont kill people, Dads with pretty Daughters kill people.
Old 02-17-2013, 8:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think the felons are going to quit being felons anytime soon. Worst that will probably happen is you have to transfer to a prison out in the middle of nowhere. Well, more so than usual I should say.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-17-2013, 8:04 AM
Bacon makes it better

I thought they were laying off some due to sending some prisoners to local jails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

One thing to consider when going with State Corrections and this is not a slam on the officers, because my hat is off to them: You will be working around inmates that are doing long sentences, with the probability of dying in prison.

Some of them may have no reluctance when it comes to injuring or killing an officer. They get "juice" with the other inmates and you get dead. Tacking on a life with no parole sentence to an inmate serving 60+ years is really not an incentive to keep him/her from attacking you if they really don't care.

Yes, this can happen in the jail system also, but most inmates there just want to fight their case and either go home or begin their sentence; not pick up another case by attacking staff.

Just something I believe needs to be mentioned.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM

I have been with CDCR for 19 years now and agree its a decent job. The general public really has no idea what we deal with on a daily basis other than what they see in the news which often times is very misleading. "Retired" pretty much hit the nail on the head. Keep in mind the majority of those hired will be assigned to "high needs" institutions such as Pelican Bay, High Desert, etc.

Live life like a dog
If you can't lick it,eat it,chew it or screw it,
Piss on it and walk away
Old 02-17-2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I thought they were laying off some due to sending some prisoners to local jails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not sure if any are getting laid off but they are opening a new facility in Stockton soon. Not sure how many officers they will need but they are supposed to hire about 400 psychiatric technicians so they will probably need a bunch.
You also have to consider all the ones that are retiring and unfortunately we have lost some to deaths recently.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-18-2013, 9:57 AM

a super expensive medical facility will be opening , so they are expecting a lot of transfers. i would not recommend anyone to apply right now. not a good time. 18yrs with cdc.