Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Difference between Remington 700 SPS Tactical & 700P LTR?

I'm curious about getting started with my first bolt gun. I probably won't do any hunting so I'm looking at a bench style "sniper" rifle. I think I'm looking at one of the Remy 700's, but I'm curious if you can tell me what the difference is between the 700 SPS Tactical which is like $500, and the 700P LTR which is $300-400 more? I know they have different stocks, and the LTR has a fluted barrel, but what else are the differences? Their website is very vague.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd say the 20" fluted bull barrel is the biggest difference. I have an LTR and I can say that it is an awesome rifle, but I can't compare it to the SPS because I've never shot one. I don't see an SPS "tactical" on Remington's site, but I think it really just comes down to the barrel on the stock. The LTR is called that for a reason and it is noticeably lighter than the other 700's. Basically, just figure out if you like the shorter barrel or not.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350 View Post
I'd say the 20" fluted bull barrel is the biggest difference. I have an LTR and I can say that it is an awesome rifle, but I can't compare it to the SPS because I've never shot one. I don't see an SPS "tactical" on Remington's site, but I think it really just comes down to the barrel on the stock. The LTR is called that for a reason and it is noticeably lighter than the other 700's. Basically, just figure out if you like the shorter barrel or not.
It's there, just not on the LE Remy page:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

It also is a 20" barrel, just sans flutes. I really don't care about the stock since I will probably replace it at some point in the future. I'm primarily curious if the finish and the action are the same as the LTR.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Calguns Addict

From all the reading I did the SPS Varmint is the same barreled action on the 700P. The SPS Tactical is a shortened SPS Varmint in an Houge stock.

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

If you don't care about the stock get the SPS Varmint and replace the stock.

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

This gun is the basis of my new project. I'll post pics after I get the gun on the 29th. The LTR looks to be a 700P with a lightened, slimmer stock and a fluted barrel.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 PM

The SPS varmint is the pss without the tac stock so maybe it's the sameway as the LTR.
I pick up my SPS varmint on Tuesday , .243.
here's the review at snipercentral http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Love me some tube steaks.

Last edited by jtv3062; 09-22-2007 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: eta
Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshelmut View Post
It's there, just not on the LE Remy page:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp
Remington doesn't give you very much information on the rifle. Seems sort of odd...

The only difference I'm seeing is the stock so if you don't mind the cheaper stock and the lack of detachable mag then get the SPS tactical.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by hybridatsun350; 09-22-2007 at 12:25 PM..
Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Hilarious, that article and the sniper central review of the SPS Tactical were the articles I just read. I guess I'm not specifically set on a 20" barrel, but I'm definitely getting a 308. Sounds like they all use the same barrel (just different lengths), and I guess the same action. I have an 11-87 SPS and I'm not really that excited about the finish on the shotgun so I was curious if it is the same (seems to be).

BTW, anybody know how one would go about setting one of these up with a removable magazine? I read somewhere there used to be a DM version of these but now they all have the hinged floor plates.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 PM

did you see this it's the DM SPS. Don't know if it's in a tac model.http://www.remington.com/products/fi...700_SPS_DM.asp

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Love me some tube steaks.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv3062 View Post
did you see this it's the DM SPS. Don't know if it's in a tac model.http://www.remington.com/products/fi...700_SPS_DM.asp
I did not. Looks like its only available with the standard contour barrel
Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought an SPS Varmint and a AICS 1.5 to put it in. As far as setting one up for a DM. If you get the SPS Tactical I believe you can get the Badger DBM and mags and have it installed. I am not sure if the stock would need to be modded though. I believe it does.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 PM

I was looking at a Mcmillan A4 or A5 down the road, but I'm not sure if it would need to be modified for a DM. Time for more research...
Old 09-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

According to Triad Tactical your stock would need to be inleted for the DBM mags. That is one of the reasons (besides I always wanted one) i went with the AICS. You just drop it in and go shoot. Would be about the same money as a McMillan and a Badger DBM.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 PM

I just purchased an SPS tactical, although it is in .223. Aside from the barrel and stock being different from the LTR, the SPS has a different finish. The LTR is parkerized, wheras the SPS has a less durable matte blue finish.

PCR239 is correct- you can get a DBM kit from Badger. It uses AICS magazines. However, if you plan on buying one of these soon, you might have problems getting the mags- seems the militay has dried up the current supply.