Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-07-2013, 2:48 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Default Assault Weapon Registration Application question.

With Chief's letter approving the purchase and/or registration of an assault weapon for duty use, can a law enforcement officer send in the Assault Weapon Registration Application (Form FD023), $20 fee, and the Chief's letter to DOJ to register a currently owned semi automatic centerifire rifle with a 10 round fixed magazine?

If so, what would such a person put on the "Date of Acquisition" and "From Whom Acquired/address/city/state/zip code" portions of form FD023?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why would you want to register a weapon as an Assault Weapon when it isn't one?

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-08-2013, 6:14 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Are you recommending using a 10 round fixed magazine rifle as a patrol rifle?

It's an Ar15 style rifle which is currently in a California legal non-AW configuration, with a fixed magazine. Because it is a personally owned weapon, to be able to legally use a pistol grip and have a detachable magazine, it needs to be registered as an assault weapon.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:31 AM

Unfortunately no it cant.... However if you have family out of state transfer it to them, then bring it back in under a assault weapon
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So you want to convert a weapon to an Assault Weapon and register it?
It would probably be easier to get the authorization to purchase and register a new one, that way you don't get into the "manufacturing" problems.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
With Chief's letter approving the purchase and/or registration of an assault weapon for duty use, can a law enforcement officer send in the Assault Weapon Registration Application (Form FD023), $20 fee, and the Chief's letter to DOJ to register a currently owned semi automatic centerifire rifle with a 10 round fixed magazine?

If so, what would such a person put on the "Date of Acquisition" and "From Whom Acquired/address/city/state/zip code" portions of form FD023?
in short "no"

you will not be able to register your own bullet button ar type rifle. i recall reading somewhere that it has to be purchased from an authorized dealer. the letter must state the manufacture,make, model, and caliber of the rifle. and that is all you can buy. and once its registered you will not need the bullet button, and can use what ever standard cap mags you want.

not sure though. been a long time since i looked into that stuff. it might have changed since i last looked.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:29 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
It would probably be easier to get the authorization to purchase and register a new one, that way you don't get into the "manufacturing" problems.

Except there are no reasonably priced rifles out there to purchase without a months long backorder.

I'm all for buying a new rifle...but doing the reg process on an already owned one would be far cheaper.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:46 AM

You can't do it yourself but supposedly there is a way it can be done. I've been told you can take the rifle to the right class manufacturer, don't remember the class, and have them remove the bullet button. Then you either register it through them or through a FFL that can deal in NFA. Supposedly there is a guy in Fairfield with the right type manufactures license that can do it.

Not sure how accurate it is. It's what I was told by my usual FFL who doesn't deal NFA. Might be worth exploring.

Last edited by solanoshooter; 02-10-2013 at 8:49 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 5:22 PM

We had this issue, I spoke with a person at the DOJ in the assault weapon reg unit. She advised me that the rifle must go to a firearm manufacture have the bullet button removed, then place the standard mag release in the gun. then the rifle must go to a FFl who does LE stuff like assault weapons. You must get the letter from your chief for the rifle same as you would for a new one and then fill out and send in the assault weapon registration card. I would just get on a wait list at one of the many LE dealers who have guns on order. I spoke with Colt at the shot show and they said they are filling orders as fast as the can with out compromising firearm quality.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:30 PM

Sounds like it's time to petition your legislators to get rid of AW crap. It's putting your life and the lives of other civilians in danger when it comes time to change a magazine.

The other option is to go featureless.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:48 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Pretty sure the main licensing issue is that the dealer must hold an AW permit. Secondarily, for the route I'm thinking would work, it'd also need to have a 07 (manufacturer) permit, which is not so uncommon as it used to be since ATF has decided you need a 07 just in order to slap parts onto a stripped lower receiver.

I think if you were to get a stripped lower sent to an AW dealer with a 07, they could take the rest of the parts off of your rifle and build it as an assault weapon. Then they could sell it to you as an assault weapon through the appropriate channels with signoff, etc etc.
Old 02-19-2013, 7:18 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Got it figured out. Found an FFL which has both the ATF manufacturing license, and the CADOJ assault weapon dealers permit, or whatever it is. I can take in my bullet button'd rifles, with letter, have them convert, then register.