Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Default What should we do during an enforcement stop?

In light of the two women shot delivering newspapers, what should a citizen do during an enforcement stop in order to reduce the chance of a tragedy like this?

Chief Beck has already stated it was a mistake so I am wondering what actions can one take to immediately communicate that they are not a threat and will fully comply? Are there innocent movements that may be perceived as a possible threat?

Last edited by lhecker51; 02-07-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 2:24 PM

Without being there, its hard to say what exactly they did "wrong," but here is a hard and fast set of guidelines that when followed should prevent you from being on the receiving end of some law enforcement lead:

1) Pull over to the right at the nearest safe location.

2) Just sit there with your hands on the steering wheel. Have passengers put hands on dash/headrest in front of them.

3) Unless its to open a window (with one hand), just sit there till LEO tells you to do something else.

4) Do what LEO tells you to do, slowly and deliberately. If you don't understand, ask them to repeat.

5) Repeat for everyone in the car.
Old 02-07-2013, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep your hands where they can easily be seen
Don't make sudden movements
Listen to instructions given
Follow those instructions - the time to discuss the right or wrong of the stop will come later

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would add to the above, if it's at night flip on your interior light. Also turn your ignition off if that wasn't obvious.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Do you prefer the hands on the wheel or out the window?
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Do you prefer the hands on the wheel or out the window?
Whenever I stopped someone who put their hands out the window, it made me think what are they trying to distract me from seeing. So for me unless told to do so keep your hands inside the car on the wheel. Of course everyone will be a bit different and this is only what comes to mind when I had people do that.
Old 02-08-2013, 7:42 PM

ive been taught, heard and read, hands on the wheel in sight, no sudden movements, and let them see in the glovebox before sticking your hand in there and not making them nervouse. I turn off the car because i know she will start up when its time to leave and it shows that you wont run.

it has worked for me and have gotten out of a number of tickets by being polite when i was clearly in the wrong. just dont make the officer jumpy and nervous. and be polite, dont start the whole "i have a 4th amendment right" crap; there is a time and place for that and its not going to put you in a positive light to the officer.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM

I can understand your comments and frustration, but until proven otherwise, leos have no idea who you are. I think the recommendations above will help the officer come to the initial conclusions that you are in fact a law abiding citizen. As far as being scared, there is a fine line between that and safe. We have families to go home to as well. Yes the job is dangerous, but I dont know any who signed up to be killed. Until you have walked up on that car and had someone point a gun at you and shoot, which I have, it's truly hard to grasp the importance of the person being stopped to make it as easy as possible in the first few seconds. After that, if you want to argue have at it.
Old 02-09-2013, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Firstly, drive properly, at night with your lights on, a properly maintained vehicle, drive safely/smoothly, within posted speed limits and on the correct side of the road...
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 02-09-2013, 3:25 PM

"back to the subject i think the first few responses is enough to keep anyone in from a bad situation in a incident involving leos. But i will no longer go out my way to demonstrate to a officer that i am in no way shape or form a threat to them. The job of a leo comes with such risk unfortunately"

You are an adult, making adult decisions. Just remember you will be responsible for those decisions if they receive a negative response to something that could have been avoided.