Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-19-2007, 6:00 AM

Default What kind of rings do I need?

I am going to mount a Leupold VXI 2-7X on my AR. What of rings do I need to get? Does it need to specify Pictinanny? Thanks

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-19-2007 at 8:03 AM..
Old 09-19-2007, 8:48 AM

You need some eXtra high rings for a flattop AR. I think weaver or picatinny should work exactly the same because the rings only have one cross slot each.

The best way is to borrow a set from a friend to try it out to get an idea on how high you want your scope.

I am using a GG&G rail raiser with Leupold QRW medium rings. That's QRW Medium 0.88" + 1/2" for the raiser = 1.38"

Leupold Super High is 1.40"
Old 09-19-2007, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike452 View Post
You need some eXtra high rings for a flattop AR. I think weaver or picatinny should work exactly the same because the rings only have one cross slot each.

The best way is to borrow a set from a friend to try it out to get an idea on how high you want your scope.

I am using a GG&G rail raiser with Leupold QRW medium rings. That's QRW Medium 0.88" + 1/2" for the raiser = 1.38"

Leupold Super High is 1.40"

Why High Risers? I don't have a front sight post to see over.
Old 09-19-2007, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
Why High Risers? I don't have a front sight post to see over.
So you're not pressing your cheek into the stock too much. Granted, you want to get the line of sight through the scope as close to the centerline of the bore as possible, but you also want a natural, comfortable cheek weld.

There's a reason why the line of sight through the AR's iron sights is so high. The buttstock of the AR is in line with the bore, placing the cheek rest area above the bore centerline. Therefore the shooter's eye is placed in a higher position relative to the bore. Unlike a drop comb buttstock which puts the cheek rest level or below the bore centerline.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted View Post
So you're not pressing your cheek into the stock too much. Granted, you want to get the line of sight through the scope as close to the centerline of the bore as possible, but you also want a natural, comfortable cheek weld.

There's a reason why the line of sight through the AR's iron sights is so high. The buttstock of the AR is in line with the bore, placing the cheek rest area above the bore centerline. Therefore the shooter's eye is placed in a higher position relative to the bore. Unlike a drop comb buttstock which puts the cheek rest level or below the bore centerline.

+1. You're going to want the scope in about the same line as the iron sights would be.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM

You will need rings at least 1.25 inches high. I got me a set of millets for 40 bucks. Wilson Combat makes a nice mount for $80 but they are 4 weeks behind.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Spend the cash for a larue mount.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prc329 View Post
Spend the cash for a *GENUINE* larue mount.
+1
To name a few advantages:
A) Picatinny mount (Picatinny (M1913) is specification: Weaver is a style with specs that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer)
B) Quick detach with return to zero guarantee
C) Solid one piece construction: fewer screws
D) Easy set up and truing of the scope crosshairs
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted View Post
+1
To name a few advantages:
A) Picatinny mount (Picatinny (M1913) is specification: Weaver is a style with specs that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer)
B) Quick detach with return to zero guarantee
C) Solid one piece construction: fewer screws
D) Easy set up and truing of the scope crosshairs

Got the best place to buy it. Anyone you could recommend?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM

The LaRue SPR/M4 Mounts is right around $200.

Very difficult to find discounts. They seem to have MAP.

I use raisers and med rings because I don't like to get equipment lock to one rifle. LaRue mounts do look very good.
Old 09-19-2007, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike452 View Post
The LaRue SPR/M4 Mounts is right around $200.

Very difficult to find discounts. They seem to have MAP.

I use raisers and med rings because I don't like to get equipment lock to one rifle. LaRue mounts do look very good.
Hmmm.... The Larue LT-104 does look good but it looks like its just for an AR flattop...and its not a high riser mount either. Should I bite for just buy Leupold High riser rings? The only grip with the Leupold rings is that the ones I bough requires the user to stretch the legs apart to fit onto the AR base and then tighten it. Not as quick as a Larue.
Old 09-19-2007, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hmmm.... The Larue LT-104 does look good but it looks like its just for an AR flattop...and its not a high riser mount either.
The Larue is a one piece riser mount.
Quote:
Should I bite for just buy Leupold High riser rings?
You want the Leupold QRW or PRW rings. Still, the high set alone isn't tall enough. You'll still need a riser rail to raise the LOS high enough to get a good cheek weld (unless you have a small head and/or really high cheek bones.

Difference between the QRW and PRW? QRW's have finger levers to tighten and loosen the rings on the receiver Picatinny rail. The PRW's require a torx driver to tighten and loosen. Both designs have a recoil lug that fits in the recoil slots of the rail.
Quote:
The only grip with the Leupold rings is that the ones I bough requires the user to stretch the legs apart to fit onto the AR base and then tighten it. Not as quick as a Larue.
The QRW/PRW's are two piece rings: upper and lower halves. No bending to spread the metal.
Old 09-19-2007, 1:48 PM

Whats your personal preference Ted?
Old 09-19-2007, 1:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Whats your personal preference Ted?
High end: Larue LT-104

One decent economy option that was skipped over is the Armalite one piece mount:
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...9-bafe17a66e1e

I've also got a set up that uses Leupold PRW rings and a GG&G riser rail.
Old 09-19-2007, 4:58 PM

thanks guys. Despite all the good advice, I am going to ahve to use the Leupold Rings mostly because of price. I'll upgrade to Larue when I have the dough.
Old 09-19-2007, 5:02 PM

Quote:
thanks guys. Despite all the good advice, I am going to ahve to use the Leupold Rings mostly because of price. I'll upgrade to Larue when I have the dough.
Might as well save up and get the Larue now - your spending more money in the long run if you pick up the Leup first and then upgrade.
Thats the only reason im going all out on my setup - its going to be costly, but worth it

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 09-19-2007, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Might as well save up and get the Larue now - your spending more money in the long run if you pick up the Leup first and then upgrade.
Thats the only reason im going all out on my setup - its going to be costly, but worth it
Yea, but I figure you can't go wrong for $24 set of Leupold Rings. I'll just throw them on my other AR when I get a Larue for this AR.
Old 09-19-2007, 6:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why do people prefer the Larue mount?

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-19-2007, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Why do people prefer the Larue mount?

Which one do you prefer?
Old 09-19-2007, 8:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Which one do you prefer?

I don't have a preference. I honestly don't know the differences between all the different mounts that people use on AR's. I just saw that the Larues recommended by a lot of people so I was wondering why.

Sometimes my questions are just that, questions.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Mounting magnified optics on the AR is a hugely confusing assortment of options and variables.

One important thing to consider is eye relief. Many people need the scope eyepiece ahead of the charging handle, especially if they shoot nose-to-charging-handle. In this case, rings alone won't do, as they won't allow the scope to go far enough forward. I can't shoot magnified optics directly on rings without pulling my head back into an uncomfortable position, but this varies for everyone.

An extended one-piece is great for a dedicated optic, and the LaRue is best, as others have said, with the Armalite a close second, IMO, for half the price. Others are cheaper, but some (like the Model 1 mount) don't give much more eye relief than plain rings.

For maximum flexibility (important if you're just starting with AR optics), I'd recommend a scout style extended riser, like the ARMS #36 or #38 EX or S-EX, the GG&G scout rail, or the RRA scout rail. These are typically 1/2" risers that go out over the handguards, allowing you to use medium or high rings and position a wide variety of scopes in a wide range of positions.

This has more connections between the rail and optic that can shift or come loose, but you can play with a lot of possibilities before committing to something.

Here are the things I look for in an extended rail:

- Recoil lug design - does it have a separate lug (like the Armalite mounts and rings), square screw shafts (like the ARMS #36 and #38 rails), or round screw shafts (like the GG&G).

- Does it attach with QR (levers, more expensive), semi-QR (thumbscrews, which protrude a good bit), or non-QR (regular hex screws).

- Does it fit from the top (like the GG&G above) or does it have to slide on from the front or back (like the ARMS #36/38).

- Is there room to mount a BUIS behind it, if desired (the RRA extended scout rail doesn't leave room, the GG&G does).

- How much height does it give (this affects what rings you'll use for what scope).

- How far forward does it let you mount a scope (I need a lot of forward eye relief, with the eyepiece well ahead of the charging handle, so I need extended rails).

If you buy used here or on the arfcom EE, you can get great prices, then re-sell for about the same if you decide to change.