Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Tax on a PPT within CA?

Recently I purchased a long gun from a fellow CG'er (not an FFL) who sent it to my local FFL to complete the transfer. Am I supposed to be taxed on the purchase price of the long gun? I searched and found out of state transfers into California should be taxed, but nothing on transfers within state.

Last edited by Glockrocks; 02-03-2013 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: corrected
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

Any sale of personal property in Ca is subject to Ca sales tax, that is the law.

When you buy something at a garage sale, technically the seller is responsible for collecting sales tax on the items they sell.

Because you had a firearm shipped to an FFL, and the state of Ca strong arms FFLs into collecting sales tax, they are going to charge you the sales tax.

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 02-03-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks! I should have gave a low ball price had I known I would be taxed on it

Last edited by Glockrocks; 02-03-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: .
Old 02-03-2013, 1:02 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
Any sale of personal property in Ca is subject to Ca sales tax, that is the law.

When you buy something at a garage sale, technically the seller is responsible for collecting sales tax on the items they sell.
Have a cite for this? The link you posted only deals with retail sales, and both publications from the BOE and CA Tax Code says "occasional" sales are tax-exempt .

See BOE Publication 61, Sales and Use Taxes: Exemptions and Exclusions .

Quote:
A sale by (and purchase from) a person who is not engaged in a business requiring a sellerís permit is exempt from sales and use taxes
Quote:
A person holding two garage sales with no other sales in any 12 month period in which the garage sales are held are regarded as making exempt occasional sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrocks View Post
I searched and found out of state transfers into California should be taxed, but nothing on transfers within state.
The FFL should not be collecting tax if the firearm came from a private party, regardless of inter/interstate. Just because it is being DROS'ed a dealer transfer does not necessarily mean the FFL need collect sales tax.

If you live in San Diego Please read this thread and apply now to obtain your San Diego License to Carry (CCW).

The information posted herein is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice contact an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 02-03-2013, 7:44 PM

Well that's what I thought. I don't recall my friend paying tax on a handgun I sold him, but that was 15yrs ago and wasn't sure if there had been changes since then.

Last edited by Glockrocks; 02-03-2013 at 7:44 PM.. Reason: .
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
The FFL should not be collecting tax if the firearm came from a private party, regardless of inter/interstate. Just because it is being DROS'ed a dealer transfer does not necessarily mean the FFL need collect sales tax.
While this is true in theory, the CA BOE changed their view, even though the law did not change, and now sales tax is to be paid from firearms coming from out of state with the exception of C&R handguns from a private party, which is an occasional sale, not from a business and the buyer has a C&R FFL. The excuse the BOE is using is that Federal law requires the firearm go through a FFL and that somehow makes it subject to sales tax.

For in-state sales, it is not subject to sales tax if it is from a private party, an occasional sale and not from a business (through is not from).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
For in-state sales, it is not subject to sales tax if it is from a private party, an occasional sale and not from a business (through is not from).
Someone better tell Rifle Gear that, I sent a rifle to a so-cal gunner and they were charged sales tax after they received it from my ffl.
Old 02-04-2013, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

They can ask the BOE. It needs to be documented, but some places now just charge sales tax to be safe, rather than doing the right thing.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-04-2013, 5:39 PM

Good to know, next time I will be more wise in selecting an FFL to handle the transfer.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

A PPT is when two people meet FTF to do the transfer. If you ship a gun to an FFL to be transfered to the new buyer it is not considered a PPT. There for tax is charged.

If I'm wrong let me know.
Old 02-04-2013, 7:36 PM

I just did a PPT today, no tax. Just paid $35.00 for DROS and that's all. Now, 10 day waiting game for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

BTW, A PPT can be subject to sales tax if the FFL finds the buyer or seller or gets involved with the price.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
While this is true in theory, the CA BOE changed their view, even though the law did not change, and now sales tax is to be paid from firearms coming from out of state with the exception of C&R handguns from a private party, which is an occasional sale, not from a business and the buyer has a C&R FFL.
I did not know this. Do we have an letter on this, or just verbal BOE correspondence?

If you live in San Diego Please read this thread and apply now to obtain your San Diego License to Carry (CCW).

The information posted herein is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice contact an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
BTW, A PPT can be subject to sales tax if the FFL finds the buyer or seller or gets involved with the price.
I don't see how it's any of their business what money is being transferred. And what if there is no money being transferred? What if it's an exchange between husband and wife? Or a trade? Or even a trade for services (my gun for your plumbing)? Pretty hard to charge tax on that.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
I did not know this. Do we have an letter on this, or just verbal BOE correspondence?
There was a letter sent out to all FFLs. There is a thread regarding this in the master FAQ regarding collecting sales tax. So, it is written.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I don't see how it's any of their business what money is being transferred. And what if there is no money being transferred? What if it's an exchange between husband and wife? Or a trade? Or even a trade for services (my gun for your plumbing)? Pretty hard to charge tax on that.
If the business (aka FFL) gets involved in the transaction, then it becomes the BOE's business since they regulate sales tax with respect to businesses. While it might not be right, it is the government.

A transfer between a husband and wife does not need to go through a FFL.

Trades can also be subject to sales tax. Easy to tax, you base it on the value of the firearm, which is most likely higher than you would actually pay.

I don't make up the rules, complain to your politicians if you don't like it.