Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Nexus 4 owners, I will pay you $5 to honestly answer my question....

Using the phones video camera, can you record a video for 40-50 seconds in HD, then email that video right out having the phone automatically re-size/compress it as an attachment for the email/mms without destroying the original (like the iPhone)?

I'm asking as I have an iPhone 4s and want to switch to a Nexus 4. This feature is the only thing holding me back and I don't know anybody who has a phone running JellyBean (or ICS for that matter). Paying you $5 is cheaper than paying a restocking fee...

For what it is worth it will be used on Straight Talk AT&T.

If you have a Nexus 4 and can give me the answer, PM me your info (PP or physical address) and I will make good on my statement (for the first answer-er).

Last edited by Gregchico; 02-02-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: first answer $5
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM

I just sold my Nexus 4 here last week so I can't say for sure if its capable of doing what you're asking but it really depends on the file size and the size limit that is imposed by your email account provider or your mobile carrier. I believed most email provider size limit ranges from 5MB -25MB and mobile carrier MMS llimit is 1.2MB. A 40 second video in HD(720P) would be about 40MB. A 40 second video in 480P is about 15MB. I just try to send a 15MB video through my Samsung Galaxy S3 and it wont work. I aslo try to send it through email and its 6MB over size. So it really depends on your service provider.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My email is through GMail which has a 25mb per email limit and I believe my MMS limit is 1mb.

The 720p, 40mb, 40 second video was compressed to a 6mb email-able file? If so, that will be fine for what I want to do.

My iPhone will compress a 80-100mb-ish HD video file to a 3-4mb-ish file for emailing while leaving the original HD video in place. I'm not looking for an HD file to me emailed, more of a "grandma" friendly video.
Old 02-02-2013, 1:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've got a Nexus 4, and just tested it out for you. Using the standard email client and default video record options, even a 11 second video gets an error "file too large to attach" when trying to email it directly from the gallery. File was 9.49MB and 1280x720 in MP4 format, also remember that a file gets nearly doubled in size when it is converted to text and sent in email. That means that the compressed 4 MB file you mentioned above actually takes about 8 MB of space as an email.

Send the $5 to your preferred 2A rights organization whether it be CGN, CRPA, CGF, SAS, or the NRA.

John
Old 02-02-2013, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks. I guess that gave me the answer I did not want to hear. I guess I'm back to the Nokia 920 or staying with the iPhone 4s.

This email confirms that you have donated $5.00 USD to The Calguns Foundation (paypal@calgunsfoundation.org) using PayPal. Confirmation number: 8NB8094468292333M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlivingston View Post
I've got a Nexus 4, and just tested it out for you. Using the standard email client and default video record options, even a 11 second video gets an error "file too large to attach" when trying to email it directly from the gallery. File was 9.49MB and 1280x720 in MP4 format, also remember that a file gets nearly doubled in size when it is converted to text and sent in email. That means that the compressed 4 MB file you mentioned above actually takes about 8 MB of space as an email.

Send the $5 to your preferred 2A rights organization whether it be CGN, CRPA, CGF, SAS, or the NRA.

John
Old 02-02-2013, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

yeah i love my galaxy note 2 but i cant send a video for poop on it. that is something my iphone did extremely well. that is one of the features that i really do miss. and at times think about switching back for.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Before you give up. They do have apps that are video converters that covert size and files. I was able to convert a 30 seconds video and send it with minimal quality loss via text
Old 02-03-2013, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
Before you give up. They do have apps that are video converters that covert size and files. I was able to convert a 30 seconds video and send it with minimal quality loss via text

What app is it? I would like to look it up.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Another thing, when I take a video, there is an auto upload option to Google+. Of course by default the files you have auto uploaded are not shared with anyone, but you can easily share if that is what you want to do.

So basically if I take any pictures or videos on the phone, within minutes they are uploaded and available from any computer I wish to look at them with.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

You can update through youtube or change the DIR is the ex-SD card.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 02-06-2013, 7:23 AM

dropbox? Email the link and be done with its?
Old 02-08-2013, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregchico View Post
Thanks. I guess that gave me the answer I did not want to hear. I guess I'm back to the Nokia 920 or staying with the iPhone 4s.
I have the Nokia 920, great phone and great camera on the phone. The wireless charging plate is something that once you get used to, you don't ever want to have to use a phone that requires a connector to charge.
Old 02-08-2013, 1:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
I have the Nokia 920, great phone and great camera on the phone. The wireless charging plate is something that once you get used to, you don't ever want to have to use a phone that requires a connector to charge.
How is the Nokia's size/weight? Do you use a case? If so which one?

As far as Dropbox goes, I have to make it as easy as possible for the older generation that receives them. Email is the easiest so far.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:44 AM

Note 2 to iphone? way smaller screen...no dual screen capabilites. Ill pass if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
yeah i love my galaxy note 2 but i cant send a video for poop on it. that is something my iphone did extremely well. that is one of the features that i really do miss. and at times think about switching back for.