Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-17-2007, 9:31 PM

Default Hunting and fishing around Napa?

Hi all,

I'm an Oregon guy, but I have a pending job offer in Napa. Anybody around there/know the area enough to let me in on what the fishing and especially hunting opportunities are around there, say within a day's drive? I hunt upland birds, call predators, and am completely beside myself at the possibility of hunting hogs. It would also be nice to hear about shooting ranges or old gravel pits, etc...i.e. places to burn bricks of 22's.

I realize hunting's a little different down there compared to here. My home county (Josephine, county seat Grants Pass) is about 70% public lands, mostly USFS. From what I've gathered Napa, Sonoma, and surrounding counties are overwhelmingly privately owned.

Also, what about buying guns and ammo? I would guess, based on the culture and politics of the area, that Napa isn't as friendly to shooters as a lot of places, but are shooting supplies hard to get?

I realize I'm in for a bit of culture shock coming from rural Southern Oregon, but I know that there are possibilities everywhere if you know how to find them. Thanks for the advice, and I hope to make some friends here.

Best,

Dan

PS: I've been reading over the forums; so far I know of BLM land out by Lake Berryessa, the range in Sonoma, Last Gun Shop, a few other things. But if anyone doesn't mind repeating yourself, feel free!

Last edited by Dan97526; 09-17-2007 at 9:59 PM..
Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan97526 View Post
PS: I've been reading over the forums; so far I know of BLM land out by Lake Berryessa, the range in Sonoma, Last Gun Shop, a few other things. But if anyone doesn't mind repeating yourself, feel free!
Napa is TUFF...... real tuff, pretty much gotta know someone with land. And to do that you gotta rub elbows with the right folks. Worked there off/on on stints and there aint much public land...and what there is aint huntable-- save the places you mentioned: knoxville on/near berryessa. A LOT to go to if you're willing to drive further north (a LOT further).

As for gun shops: The Last gun shop, and Daryls (Downtown) that sells everyhting from paintball and skateboard to Ammo and guns. WAS (past tense) a third (The Gun Exchange IIRC) but owner went off to do other things and no only supposedly sells to former clients via appointment.

OUTSIDE the area you have a bunch, two at least in Vacaville (about 35 min) 1 in sonoma (20 min)...I've HEARD of one in fairfield but I aint ever seen/found it yet. Helms in Santa rosa (45-55min dp. on traffic). One in Vallejo (about 15min without traffic) but I aint ever been and about 100 more if you're willing to drive more than 55min........

GORGOUS area(s) in/around Napa....

Shooting...BLM land/Knoxville is about the only public area. There is a pretty exclusive private club just outside of town...but again...rub the right elbows; Indoor ranges? Closest I know is at one of the places in Vacaville...........

Absolutely awsome area if you're making the cash to live there and dont mind driving to really do anything outside of drinking wine and eating fancey; I'm NOT lying. But it is a clicky area... and its wierd too...some strange mix of Neo hippies yet a lot are strangely conservative in thier views on everything BUT politics. But I've met a lot of nice peeps there too- so not to give the wrong impression....

Just of all the towns I've gone through/to/worked-in/lived in (and there's been a bunch) Napa ranks in the top 5 for "hardest to fit in" and "hardest to 'figure' out".

Just another note: if you Do take the job-- PM me..I am in the area sometimes and can/will point you where NOT to live and where NOT to eat

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 09-20-2007, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

there is plenty of public land within a 2 hour drive - basically BLM land within 30 minutes and national forests are an hour away and stetch north all the way to oregon. deer and bear a plenty. sierras are few hours east and offer the same

for hogs, good luck. private land is your best bet and most of that is grain fed. wild hog hunting is the biggest joke as everyone is so excited as there is no season or limits but there are fews hogs left anyways.

upland and water fowl is everywhere - you'll love the turkey hunting. suggest you make friends with land owners fast!

Canyon Sports in Martinez (30 minutes from Napa) is a very solid shop with a large selection in stock. ask for Zack
Old 09-20-2007, 3:37 PM

Napa has some good hunting around it. I hunt most everything and can find it around or close to Napa. The hog's are a hard way to go on public, but they are there. I have a bud that uses dogs at Indian Valley res. and has no problems finding them. I have a ton of private property to hunt on in the valley and thats what i stick to. Born and raised here so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM
Old 09-20-2007, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastr View Post
Canyon Sports in Martinez (30 minutes from Napa) is a very solid shop with a large selection in stock. ask for Zack
Ahhh Dang! See! I knew I forgetting at least one!

Quote:
Napa has some good hunting around it. I hunt most everything and can find it around or close to Napa. The hog's are a hard way to go on public, but they are there. I have a bud that uses dogs at Indian Valley res. and has no problems finding them. I have a ton of private property to hunt on in the valley and thats what i stick to. Born and raised here so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM
Welcome Napahunter! Glad ya' chimed in. Wish you'd point us all to some good or better spots around Napa. As I said I was/have always been under the impression Napa's "greenbelt" is pretty much 'not huntable' as always either too close to homes, non-huntable public property, or....what it seems you do have...pretty exclusive private property.((Guess you have the right elbows)). But hey...if you're ever needing help clearing out some pigs...shoot me a PM- As I do make it there quite often; I can of course provide refrences too so you can know I'm not some insane fool out there with a gun. Same hold true for OP Dan if either of you want a third

~Molôn Labé!!~

2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
Old 09-20-2007, 8:00 PM

Metalhead, always up to throw a little lead with new people. I own a business here and thats how i aquire a few places to hunt. I just got back form one of them right now. Didn't see any deer tonight, but no big deal. This property is 10 min from the house and around 8,000 arcers with no hunters on it. Let me know when your in town and we can meet and see what you want to hunt. Or PM me . Take care.. and thanks for the welcoming
Old 09-20-2007, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by napahunter View Post
Metalhead, always up to throw a little lead with new people. I own a business here and thats how i aquire a few places to hunt. I just got back form one of them right now. Didn't see any deer tonight, but no big deal. This property is 10 min from the house and around 8,000 arcers with no hunters on it. Let me know when your in town and we can meet and see what you want to hunt. Or PM me . Take care.. and thanks for the welcoming
PM inbound

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 09-21-2007, 8:22 AM

Thanks guys. I haven't received the call yet, but if I do I'll certainly reach out to you. I'm getting more excited about the prospect of working there as I get more information.

Metalhead, you've provided me with a lot of good info. Thanks! I'll certainly PM you if I get down there. I can always use some advice about a new area and a potential hunting partner.

Westcoastr, I thought feral hogs were expanding in both territory and numbers. Not the case?

I expect to know whether or not I've made it to the next hiring level within the next two or three working days, so I will know very soon if Napa is a real possibility.

Napahunter, what sort of business do you have? And if you don't mind, I may have some non-hunting questions for you if this job offer comes to fruition.

Dan
Old 09-21-2007, 3:08 PM

YA Dan it's a HVAC business and if you need and questions answerd shoot away.
Old 09-21-2007, 5:12 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by napahunter View Post
. I just got back form one of them right now. Didn't see any deer tonight, but no big deal.

The've been rutting pretty hard the last couple days. You should have better luck if you go out this weekend.
Old 09-21-2007, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey Dan!

A belated welcome to the site. I just moved down to San Rafael from Napa. If you are looking for a solid firearms shop in Napa, I would have to recommend Darin's Gun Exchange downtown.

Darin's Gun Exchange
(707) 255-5166 See reviews on Local 950 Randolph St
Napa, CA 94559

Excellent customer service from each and every employee, good selection in stock of both long guns and handguns, and good prices.

I have been wanting to start hunting, must admit i never have been hunting. Need to buy another rifle first as i no longer have one. I have been checking out the weekly specials at Big 5 as they always have the rifle/scope combos.

Figure that could work for hunting hog or deer, wont be shooting more than 100-150 yards.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 09-21-2007, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan97526 View Post
Thanks guys. I haven't received the call yet, but if I do I'll certainly reach out to you. I'm getting more excited about the prospect of working there as I get more information.
No problem. Even more info for ya'....
I always am hesitant to say whether Napa is truly good or bad to people that ask me...and hence why I say "tuff". I just know they gotta be out there...but I've yet to find a "NEW" homeowner there that bought thier first house (ever) in that area if it wasn't done before 2000/2001. A lot I've met either had thier homes from the 70's/80's and/or already had previously owned elsewhere in the state before 'buying in' inside Napa.

From what I remember of staying in Eugene and Medford you just might understand what I mean when I say Napa is an "island" in many ways. Napa (and heck even Sonoma, Calistoga, Yountville) are truly unique lil' places unto thier own. Start driving south and the moment you start to hit Vallejo you enter the 'normal' urbran sprawl of the outter Bay area and remains that way until you reach San Jose...but Napa remains mostly isolated and truly its own. Downtown feels a LOT like a cross between small-town-america-anywhere and Madison Ave in NY when you see what the 'little mom & pop' shops sell. Neither really trendy nor outlandish but a far cry from the small shops in Vallejo. The town's wierd in that it has TWO Target stores, TWO Alberstons, and Even a Walmart but no K-mart, has OSH, and homedepot but no Lowes, Ace hardware but no competators that I know of for that niche..... but its a dang hard place to find DECENT TOOLS!!!! Not a 'true' sears to be had- 'cept a 'applience center' only sears A foster's freeze but no Dairy queen, Lots of Taco bells but only one Arby's. A TON of car dealerships (IMO for such a nice...smallish area) but No real true service center save Les Schwab now that Pepe boys left-- so its dealerships, yourself, or small independant guys for any work.

It is completly UNNNNlike the rest of the bay area on the whole when ya' get into demographics. It is mostly (heck I'd say 99%) split between hispanic and white. Every time I'm there I never see really any other...NOT that that is wrong/good/bad/whatever...it is just a farrrrrr cry from every other "bay area' city where you truly get the american melting pot. And in this make up there IS a noticible......disparagy...NOT a lot of true middle class from what I've seen. No true "middle" A lot of upper middle class & upper class and a definite segment of low-low-low middle class and dang near poor TOTAL over exageration but it was explained to me whenst I got there you have the World class wineries, thier owners and bosses...and then there's everyone elese But seriously after years there I've not met really anyone that would fall into the true middle class; Beemers & harleys or Pintos and gremlins (again..over exagerated...but you get the idea).

Surprisingly what i DO like is that the neighborhoods are all so truly different from each other....and yet even the upper and lower priced homes and salery'd peeps live side by side throughout 'most' of the area. Million dollar homes next to homes 100 years old. Definitely a kick if you're into variety.

But hey Dan...I owe YOU a thanks too; your thread has accidently led me to Napahunter as they say...Times, they might be changing for metalheads luck in the area...we'll see!

And it looks like I did it again.... Called DARIN'S place daryl's I swear sometimes I need a memory cheet sheet. "Daryl" is/was one of the other employees at the last gun shop IIRC....I always screw that one up

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 09-22-2007, 6:12 PM

Thats a great way to explain it Meatalhead, a odd little town. I have watched this town go from a few people to what i call Disneyland. I have bought 4 guns from Darins. Darin and his mom are pretty cool people for a kind of liberal,kind of anti hunting town. They run a good gun shop, but for realoading stuff i go out of town for supplies. I'll talk at ya next week sometime Metalhead.
Old 09-22-2007, 6:43 PM

Hollister's hog country in Northern California. It's in San Benito County. Wild Boar abound with plenty of guides available to show you where they hang out. Bring your .44MAG for the adrenalin rush and a good knife. About a 3 hour drive south from Napa if you leave early.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem. We can now fire in any direction and strike the enemy." ....Colonel Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, Commanding the 1st Marine Regiment at The Battle of The Chosin Reservoir, Korea 1950

Last edited by MedSpec65; 09-22-2007 at 6:59 PM..