Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-01-2013, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Default Turned my Hornady LNL into an Ammo Plant!! help me fine tune?

Finally got my shipment from Grafs with my case feeder, bullet feeder, Dillon Super Swage, and all the accessories. Spent the last few hours setting up and tinkering with my new ammo plant:

Works pretty great! but i need to fine tune it a bit. So far ive been having 3 problems:

1. the plate between the press and the table that holds the finished ammo tray: it sticks up a bit and gets in the way of the subplate when i push it own to seat the primer, Not a huge deal, but it interferes enough that i have to push harder to prime.

2. Im having periodic trouble when the feed assembly drops the brass onto the sliding plate. Every once in a while the brass will bounce right off the sled when it drops and fall to the ground.

3. The bullet feeding die seems to hang up every once in a while (Im using a .357 die for 9mm but its working fine when it feeds) it stops feeding bullets, and i have to dump the stack of bullets out of it and re insert them for it to work again.

I got it working and loaded 100 rounds, and i must say im super pleased! despite the occasional hickup (which you guys will hopefully be able to help me fix) its absolutley amazing. Its a great feeling only having to pull the handle and keep an eye on things, i just loaded 100 rounds twice as fast as i ever have in my life.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mod View Post
Finally got my shipment from Grafs with my case feeder, bullet feeder, Dillon Super Swage, and all the accessories. Spent the last few hours setting up and tinkering with my new ammo plant:

Works pretty great! but i need to fine tune it a bit. So far ive been having 3 problems:

1. the plate between the press and the table that holds the finished ammo tray: it sticks up a bit and gets in the way of the subplate when i push it own to seat the primer, Not a huge deal, but it interferes enough that i have to push harder to prime.

2. Im having periodic trouble when the feed assembly drops the brass onto the sliding plate. Every once in a while the brass will bounce right off the sled when it drops and fall to the ground.

3. The bullet feeding die seems to hang up every once in a while (Im using a .357 die for 9mm but its working fine when it feeds) it stops feeding bullets, and i have to dump the stack of bullets out of it and re insert them for it to work again.

I got it working and loaded 100 rounds, and i must say im super pleased! despite the occasional hickup (which you guys will hopefully be able to help me fix) its absolutley amazing. Its a great feeling only having to pull the handle and keep an eye on things, i just loaded 100 rounds twice as fast as i ever have in my life.

Nice plant! I use the same setup myself! To address your questions, an easy way to fix #1 is to move the tray about 1 inch over. The case feeding plate will clear it easily than. #2, move slower, when you don't let the brass settle on the plate (it takes 1 second) it falls off completely. And I still haven't gotten my bullet feeding die 100%, but you honestly need to play with it, adjusting the collets over and over until you get it perfect. Once it's FULLY dialed in, it works without issues. But the only issue I had with it is that, when I changed bullets, from Sierra 45 to hornady 45, I needed to recalibrate the thing
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Oh and watch out for the powder drop not working occasionally. Like the powder does meter over that little triangle thing in there and stops going out. I would invest in a lockout die, OR make it a habit to check that powder cop die EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have 60 shells sitting around waiting to be pulled because I made that mistake
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, i played with it a bit and its much better now. Im very impressed with both the case and bullet feeder, Hornady has really outdone themselves.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

I've yet to see both a CF and a BF running even 90% reliably on one of these machines. If you have time could you set up a camera and take some video? I'd love to see it in action.

Congrats on the rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I've yet to see both a CF and a BF running even 90% reliably on one of these machines. If you have time could you set up a camera and take some video? I'd love to see it in action.

Congrats on the rig.
The casefeeder would be 100% if the brass didnt bounce off the shuttle when it drops, i figure i could fix it with a slightly longer feeding funnel (or maybe a rolled up paper guide attached to the bottom), ill tinker with it a bit more and see if i can get a video of it. RIght now im at about 75% since 2 or 3 shells out of 10 seem to bounce off. It also has alot to do with with my momentum, i get close to perfect results when i hit my stride and go at a smooth pace.

The bulletfeeder is GREAT, but the weekpoint is the bullet feeding dies, ive been using a .357 die for 9mm and getting about 60% reliability, but im changing the whole press over to .45 today which i have the appropriate bullet feeding dies for.

Ill tinker some more and see how good i can get it.

Old 02-02-2013, 6:38 PM

Cases bouncing off the shell plate is an easy fix. I went to Lowe's and found a piece of thin wall PVC. This is THIN wall, only about 1/16" thick. Cut a piece about 3 inches long, split lengthwise in order to slip over the drop tube. The cut a notch to fit over the shuttle slide. Works like a CHAMP with all pistol cases.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Fix for the case feeder is equally easy. You need to block off about 1/2" or the RIGHT side of the bucket opening. This prevents the cases from jambing in the feed chute of the case feeder. I used thin aluminum roof flashing and secure with a 1/4" sheet metal screw.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
I don't have the bullet feeder. But, with these two modifications, my case feeder runs 100%.

Last edited by Waldog; 02-02-2013 at 6:47 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM

Are you using the correct case drop tube? If it's the large one and you have small brass, that could cause the brass to have too much play on the way down and not land correctly. Second possible cause is the push rod is too long, and is pushing the pivot to drop a case too soon. That gives the case a little free fall before the base plate arrives...try shortening it a little. Another possible cause is the cam wire that guides the brass shuttle can put side pressure on the ram base plate. This can cause the base plate to turn slightly to the point where the brass isn't landing completely on the metal, but off to the side some. Minor tweaks to the wire to ensure it's staying straight in the slot should cure this. (This may also cause your primer shuttle to not follow it's own cam wire correctly.)

A couple general tips on the case feeder, I've found the most important part of smooth operation is getting the proper gap between the drop tube and the pivot block that you adjust with the two large lock nuts. Generally, double feeds are caused when the gap is too large.

The case feed cam wire is very sensitive to adjustment, once it's close, very small tweaks on the two small jam nuts on the bottom. I and some others here have had to run ours up to the point of almost cutting new threads. Once set you shouldn't have to mess with it.

Over time the case retaining spring around the shell plate can get some small kinks, these can trip the cases as they enter the shell plate and halt progress. I keep a few on hand as they are cheap, but I believe Hornady will replace them if you call tech support. My time is more valuable.

For times when you don't want the case feeder to operate, such as during setup, a 1 3/4" piece of dowel or a bolt will hold the pivot block from moving and dropping cases.

I don't have the bullet feeder, so I can't help with those issues.
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys! i have had 0 problems with the cases feeding from the hopper, i will try playing with the rod to adjust how soon the case drops, if that fails i will go get the pvc and use that trick

Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Was tinkering around with the rod, its definatley not the problem, but it was releasing the brass a tad early so thats corrected now. Ill play with the guide rod and see if its warping the shuttle

Old 02-03-2013, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, i resolved to go out and get some PVC and fix the situation, Problem was home depot and lowes dont have that size of thin walled PVC. So i bought some 1/2" nylon tubing and slit it down the middle.

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!! My casefeeder now operates at 100% reliably, tested over 200 rounds without ANY failures or complications!! GREAT fix Waldog, i wouldnt be surprised if hornady adopted some fancier form of that contraption and included it with future presses.

The bullet feeding die is much more reliable now, but still not 100%. Ive got it to the point where it feeds well, but will drop bullets periodically when a new bullet falls into place on top of the stack. Ive remedied this by holding my finger under the die opening until the tube is full, that way, new bullets dont have any meaningful velocity when they stack up.

This may be further remedied by me putting the bullet feeder in the correct station, i still havent figured out how to use the PTX die in the same station as the powder measure.

Super great fix

Last edited by Dark Mod; 02-03-2013 at 5:26 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Ok, i resolved to go out and get some PVC and fix the situation, Problem was home depot and lowes dont have that size of thin walled PVC. So i bought some 1/2" nylon tubing and slit it down the middle.

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!! My casefeeder now operates at 100% reliably, tested over 200 rounds without ANY failures or complications!! GREAT fix Waldog, i wouldnt be surprised if hornady adopted some fancier form of that contraption and included it with future presses.

The bullet feeding die is much more reliable now, but still not 100%. Ive got it to the point where it feeds well, but will drop bullets periodically when a new bullet falls into place on top of the stack. Ive remedied this by holding my finger under the die opening until the tube is full, that way, new bullets dont have any meaningful velocity when they stack up.

This may be further remedied by me putting the bullet feeder in the correct station, i still havent figured out how to use the PTX die in the same station as the powder measure.

Super great fix

Are you using this on your powder measure?
Old 02-03-2013, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Are you using this on your powder measure?
Yes, but i still cant figure out how to hook up the powder measure to the ptx die. Cant find any info on it anywhere. I did have a strange idea just now though, what if i took the expander plug out of the PTX die, and opened up the powder measure and dropped it in instead of the regular insert... It seems like that might work instead. I dropped it in there and it fits, it should be just about the right size

Old 02-03-2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, but i still cant figure out how to hook up the powder measure to the ptx die. Cant find any info on it anywhere. I did have a strange idea just now though, what if i took the expander plug out of the PTX die, and opened up the powder measure and dropped it in instead of the regular insert... It seems like that might work instead. I dropped it in there and it fits, it should be just about the right size
That is how you use it. Its goes inside the powder drop chute. The thing that has the black screw you tighten. Insert it where the normal powder funnels go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9LsX0IZko
Old 02-03-2013, 6:45 PM

http://ultimatereloader.com/2012/01/...ander-part-ii/
Old 02-03-2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
Cases bouncing off the shell plate is an easy fix. I went to Lowe's and found a piece of thin wall PVC. This is THIN wall, only about 1/16" thick. Cut a piece about 3 inches long, split lengthwise in order to slip over the drop tube. The cut a notch to fit over the shuttle slide. Works like a CHAMP with all pistol cases.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Fix for the case feeder is equally easy. You need to block off about 1/2" or the RIGHT side of the bucket opening. This prevents the cases from jambing in the feed chute of the case feeder. I used thin aluminum roof flashing and secure with a 1/4" sheet metal screw.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't have the bullet feeder. But, with these two modifications, my case feeder runs 100%.
Call hornady, they will send you a new bowl. They had a out of spec mold which means they sent out a lot of out of spec bowls. I have to open up the holes on mine to align it up correctly. But call them first with any problems.
Old 02-03-2013, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
That is how you use it. Its goes inside the powder drop chute. The thing that has the black screw you tighten. Insert it where the normal powder funnels go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9LsX0IZko
You just made my day man, ill play with it tomorrow

Old 02-03-2013, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You just made my day man, ill play with it tomorrow
Just PM him with any LNL questions at all. He's rebuilt them top to bottom. If he doesn't reply let me know, I'll give you his cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 02-03-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Just PM him with any LNL questions at all. He's rebuilt them top to bottom. If he doesn't reply let me know, I'll give you his cell
Thanks (_)(_)===D~, now my inbox is going to be full, you know with all those LnL problems
Old 02-03-2013, 8:11 PM

During the week I am actually only 20 min from tustin. Let me know if you can't get it to work.