Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-01-2013, 2:34 PM

Default Question on Bear Creek 230 grain LRN - OAL

Ive been loading .45 with Bear Creek 230 LRN 4.8 grains of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.255. They worked fine in my Glock 21 however in almost every other .45 I have tried them in they are having feeding issues.

I have checked load data from numerous loading books and they vary on OAL from 1.235 to 1.265. I know a lot of people load lead shorter than FMJ, will shortening them down to maybe 1.240 help them be more universal in different .45s?

Sorry for the most likely dumb question but Id rather ask than blow my hand off.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCover View Post
Ive been loading .45 with Bear Creek 230 LRN 4.8 grains of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.255. They worked fine in my Glock 21 however in almost every other .45 I have tried them in they are having feeding issues.

I have checked load data from numerous loading books and they vary on OAL from 1.235 to 1.265. I know a lot of people load lead shorter than FMJ, will shortening them down to maybe 1.240 help them be more universal in different .45s?

Sorry for the most likely dumb question but Id rather ask than blow my hand off.

Thanks in advance.
You won't blow you hand off with 4.8grs of BE.

What feed issues are you having? (i.e. round never gets all the way to where it is aligned to the chamber or the round gets well into the chamber but the gun won't finish going into battery.) If it is the former, I would try loading it longer. If it is the latter, I would load it until the bearing surface of the bullet is almost flush with the case mouth (the straight part of the bullet before the ogive starts).

Also, I crimp my 45 Auto to .469"-.471" (OD at the case mouth), this also helps with feed.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
You won't blow you hand off with 4.8grs of BE.

What feed issues are you having? (i.e. round never gets all the way to where it is aligned to the chamber or the round gets well into the chamber but the gun won't finish going into battery.) If it is the former, I would try loading it longer. If it is the latter, I would load it until the bearing surface of the bullet is almost flush with the case mouth (the straight part of the bullet before the ogive starts).

Also, I crimp my 45 Auto to .469"-.471" (OD at the case mouth), this also helps with feed.

Good luck, have fun.
The round feeds in from the mag but the slide wont go into battery and hangs open about 1/10 of an inch. After an inspection of the round it now has a small gash in the lead.

I will try seating it until the bearing surface is flush with the case mouth and see if that helps. The guns its having problems with are Ruger P90 and SA 1911.

I checked my crimp and its within our specifications.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The round feeds in from the mag but the slide wont go into battery and hangs open about 1/10 of an inch. After an inspection of the round it now has a small gash in the lead.

I will try seating it until the bearing surface is flush with the case mouth and see if that helps. The guns its having problems with are Ruger P90 and SA 1911.

I checked my crimp and its within our specifications.
Yes, you are on to the solution.

The bearing surface is .452" (maybe a little more after the crimp squishes the lead up) and it is hanging up on the start of the throat. Seating deeper (usually getting the ledge of the bearing surface within 1/16" of an inch of the case mouth) will usually solve the problem. Sometimes getting the exact seat depth right is a little ticklish, as you might start inducing failure to feed from the magazine or three point jams, due to the shorter round. Less likely with a 230gr RN than something like a 200gr SWC, just something to keep in mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Yes, you are on to the solution.

The bearing surface is .452" (maybe a little more after the crimp squishes the lead up) and it is hanging up on the start of the throat. Seating deeper (usually getting the ledge of the bearing surface within 1/16" of an inch of the case mouth) will usually solve the problem. Sometimes getting the exact seat depth right is a little ticklish, as you might start inducing failure to feed from the magazine or three point jams, due to the shorter round. Less likely with a 230gr RN than something like a 200gr SWC, just something to keep in mind.
Thanks Bill,

I will reseat them when I get home tonight and let you know how it works out. Thanks again for your help and input!
Old 02-01-2013, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have a case gauge? I run the same bullets in my g21 and they work fine in my 1911 and hk ump. My guess is also the crimp.

I run 5.3g BE with an oal of 1.25 under the 230g rn bear creek
Old 02-01-2013, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks Bill,

I will reseat them when I get home tonight and let you know how it works out. Thanks again for your help and input!
One final thought. If you were planning on seating existing already crimped rounds deeper, it will shave the bullet some and squish even more up above the case mouth. If you do that, run your nail around the case mouth and end of the bearing surface to take any looser lead off. That buildup will conspire to keep the bullet from fully chambering as well.
Old 02-02-2013, 2:10 PM

Ok, loaded up about 30 last night and went to the range today. They all fired flawlessly!!

Changed my OAL to 1.240 and used Lee factory crimp die to .469-.471 and not a single failure to feed.

Thanks for all the advice!!
Old 02-02-2013, 2:51 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I had a similar situation with Bear Creek 125gr. round nose bullets. The OAL with works with the 125gr. tapered cone 9mm bullets wouldn't work with the round nose models. Turns out the shape of the round nose was such that they had to be set deeper in the case or they wouldn't chamber correctly in most of my 9mm guns.