Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 03-28-2013, 2:18 PM

________Busy Bees__________First Tomato to Show Red

Strawberries Falling Out of My Rock Wall.

Baby Corn

Garlic and Onions

Espalier Stone Fruit

Cabbage, Romaine, Mature Carrots, Just Germinating Carrots

Tomatoes and Swiss Chard

Butter Crunch Lettuce and White Cabbage

Butter Crunch Lettuce and Red Cabbage
Old 03-28-2013, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately.. just weeds..
Old 03-29-2013, 4:12 AM

Just started mine yesterday! Bell peppers (yellow and red for now), Early Girl and Caspian Pink (for now) tomatoes, basil (3 kinds), oregano, thyme, sage, and Jalepeno peppers to start. I'll be doing more stuff weekend.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 03-29-2013, 6:28 AM

All very nice. We just moved and now have a quarter acre. This first year we aren't doing too much as we want to see what was planted before and how the sun tracks both in front and back (woman in general upgraded things when she made fixes in the home and we see similar going on in the yard). Eventually we will teir the back yard and put in lots of fruit trees. We could easily plant a dozen if not two dozen fruit bearing trees in the yard and side yards. For now, we will likely do tomatoes in pots. The only other issue I need to resolve is that they used pressure treated wood (contains chromium copper arsnate) against the part that slopes up. Fortunately or unfortunately I'm a Ph.D. chemist and I tend to dislike pressure treated wood as I wory about those chemicals leacing into the soil and then into the food that I eat. I need to research it a bit more and will likely want to take soil samples as well.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 04-08-2013, 7:45 PM

Got the boxes and barrels mostly planted last weekend. Building new cages with wire and bamboo to keep the critters out. Should finish up the planting and drip irrigation in the next two weeks and be done. Zucchini, tomato, lettuce, artichoke, cauliflower, strawberry, basil, cilantro, and green onion.

Fig and nectarine starting to show activity, as well as newly planted (last year or two) blackberry, lemon, lime, and orange. Avocado is putting on new growth but haven't had much success the last two years.

Last edited by JCavSD; 04-08-2013 at 8:10 PM..
Old 06-14-2013, 1:16 PM

Harvested this morning

Old 07-05-2013, 3:35 PM

Picked these today. Putting some heat on them to make a simple marinara sauce to go over zucchini. Have some pancetta I may work into the sauce...hopefully it won't overpower.

Old 07-06-2013, 6:52 AM

Great thread, I'll checkin more often.
Quote:
Wow, wait a second, we can grow macadamia nuts here?

Back neighbor has one, only about 10yrs old, lots of nuts
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".