Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Riverside Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2015, 2:15 PM

Default AK Build Help

Does anyone in the IE have any AK building experience, or the tools to help me bend and heat treat the trunnions? I am a complete AK noob, and would appreciate any help. Will you trade reloading experience, beer, etc for any help!
Old 11-02-2015, 2:28 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

No idea, but Norco Armory is inexpensive on labor and has a great gunsmith on site.
Old 11-02-2015, 2:45 PM

Thanks Jake, I will keep that in mind. Really looking for something similar to the old build parties, although I know the AR ones on CNC machines were shut down by ATF. Really would like the experience of building an AK myself.
Old 11-02-2015, 2:55 PM

if the trunnions are from a com bloc kit they won't need to be heat treated. you can get away with only heat treated the FCG holes and not the entire receiver. there's a sticky on it
Old 11-02-2015, 4:48 PM

I think you mean to bend and heat treat a flat. Use the search here, i know there is a build thread outlining everything. Also look into prebent heat treated or non treated recievers at childersguns.com. all you need to do is drill and weld rails.
Old 11-05-2015, 6:53 AM

I am also interested to see if anyone in the IE area has the dies and knowledge to help walk me through the flat bending and spot welding process? I'd pay you for your time. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 9:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
No idea, but Norco Armory is inexpensive on labor and has a great gunsmith on site.
Unfortunately Norco Armory has closed its doors and gone out of business!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
Does anyone in the IE have any AK building experience, or the tools to help me bend and heat treat the trunnions? I am a complete AK noob, and would appreciate any help. Will you trade reloading experience, beer, etc for any help!
I got a little that I took from the AK guys...

You do not heat treat the trunions.

You heat treat where the rails are- in that area. Actually I think it is where the holes are drilled for the trigger and guts. THAT parts needs to be heat treated IIRC.

I have photos, but you will be getting a mapi torch or propane torch and heat up the metal until it turns orange I think, then dunk it in salty water I think (water at least) and then you take it out and heat it up again, till it is purpleish I think and then quench it again. That should take care of that.

I gotta confirm that, I forgot what the colors were, I thought red/orange then purple.

As for tools, I recall the two biggest tools were that spot welder and the large 20 ton shop presses. They used those for everything.

Last edited by stilly; 03-13-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-13-2016, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Unfortunately Norco Armory has closed its doors and gone out of business!
Good to know. I never went back after he charged me full $35 each on a two rifle PPT from same party.
Old 03-13-2016, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Good to know. I never went back after he charged me full $35 each on a two rifle PPT from same party.
Frankly I'm surprised he stayed in business as long as he did. The smallest LGS around.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 03-13-2016, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

He actually expanded the shop it was even smaller at one time. I was never impressed with the place I only went like 3x.
Old 03-16-2016, 6:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
He actually expanded the shop it was even smaller at one time. I was never impressed with the place I only went like 3x.
I went once, was not impressed at all.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 03-16-2016, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I got a little that I took from the AK guys...

You do not heat treat the trunions.

You heat treat where the rails are- in that area. Actually I think it is where the holes are drilled for the trigger and guts. THAT parts needs to be heat treated IIRC.

I have photos, but you will be getting a mapi torch or propane torch and heat up the metal until it turns orange I think, then dunk it in salty water I think (water at least) and then you take it out and heat it up again, till it is purpleish I think and then quench it again. That should take care of that.

I gotta confirm that, I forgot what the colors were, I thought red/orange then purple.

As for tools, I recall the two biggest tools were that spot welder and the large 20 ton shop presses. They used those for everything.

Thanks for the feedback stilly. I am debating just buying a wasr or npap since it seems like there isn't much savings.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You don't don't build an AK47 to save money.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 03-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

HIT ARMORY in Upland is interested in your parts kit.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 03-20-2016, 3:05 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
Thanks for the feedback stilly. I am debating just buying a wasr or npap since it seems like there isn't much savings.
You know. If I recall correctly, The AK team guys really know a LOT when it comes to this stuff. I mean, they REALLY like their AKs.

I made a pistol AK once with some guidance, but I LOVE that thing and I am so thrilled that I made it, I mean, I heat treated, I dremmelled, those are MY machine marks, and MY egged hole. But yet it is ****ing AWESOME!

And I DID save a few dollars. Yeah I had to buy a kit, but it had premium furniture- err, I mean I think it had no furniture so I bought premium furniture.

At the end of the day I was a VERY happy camper. I think you should reconsider buying one and making one instead. I actually wanted to cut my Interordinance AK or whatever it is called in half (demill it) and rebuild it as a rifle again, but knowing what I already knew...

All you need is a 20 ton shop press (HF-$85.00) a spot welder (HF- $75?) and a weird looking set of bolt cutters with a ball bearing tip for the rivets. Plus it helps to maybe talk to someone who knows about building the AKs. I dunno why they all went silent. They know too much to not help folks. Perhaps you should consider buying an AK receiver so that you do not have to worry about the jig needed for bending it, but then just get the other tools, or buy 5 flats and make 5 AKs, put serial numbers on 4 of them and sell them off to help pay for the machinery. Then you have a small spot of cool things you can use to make future AK based firearms...

Last edited by stilly; 03-20-2016 at 3:08 AM..
Old 05-05-2016, 8:49 PM

you dont have to heat treat the trunnions, only the flat and rails... I have all the tools needed but I'm always busy with work, but I can give you some pointers tho, let me know man.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Evolution sports in Berdoo build AKs but not sure if they will simply help or loan tools. AKs aren't like ARs though, a lot more involved. Definitely won't save $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk