Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Default Contact the Senate Judiciary Committee

Yeah yeah, I got the idea from nutnfancy's latest CTA video. Some of you probably won't do this just because it's from him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsoTOwlPX6w

But here is the fax I am sending to the "wishy-washy" Senators who can be swayed tomorrow:

Dear Senator,

I wanted to take a moment to ask that you oppose the “Assault Weapons Ban” S.150. While I am not a constituent in your district, this bill would affect all Americans nationwide, and has been a unifying topic among millions of gun owners such as myself who regularly share our thoughts, opinions, and beliefs through social media tools and online forums reaching across the nation. It is this large grassroots effort from where I am reaching out to you.

The diligent effort by the Senate Judiciary Committee to analyze gun violence in America through a multi-faceted forum was an event which I among millions of gun owners watched with great interest.

I feel there are certain messages from the Senate Judiciary Committee’s hearing that bear reiterating.

1) S.150 bans many weapons based solely on cosmetic features and illustrates an innate lack of understanding of firearms technology on the part of its authors. For example, the existence of a plastic handle on a firearm, or a shoulder stock that can be adjusted for taller/shorter people, has NO effect on the weapon’s firepower. The fact that S.150 includes such misinformation as to ban firearms based on these cosmetic features should send up red flags as to S.150’s merit.
2) Many of the firearms S.150 attempts to ban, such as the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, have been in common usage for decades by law-abiding Americans, and only account for a slim fraction of ALL illegal homicides throughout the nation. Vice President Joe Biden has publicly stated twice now, that so-called “Assault Weapons” aren’t used very often in criminal activity. Given the number of AR-15s in civilian hands today (Sheriff Stan Sniff of Riverside, CA called it “Uniquely American” and “America’s Modern Musket”) and their rarity of use in homicides, doesn’t that call into question S.150’s intent if it is truly to significantly curb gun violence? And shouldn’t a bill’s intent be clear and achievable if it is to be considered becoming the law of the land?
3) The argument that, “If it saves one life, it must be attempted,” is undoubtedly the speech of someone who is not interested in carefully considered, well-reasoned, common sense actions. Certain parties that have supported some of the recently introduced gun laws across the nation (S.150 included) have made this argument, not realizing how damaging it is to pass a law simply because, “Something must be done.” This line of reasoning is not rational, dangerous, and it can lead to a fear-fueled stampede over the civil rights of Americans. If left unchecked, the attitude of, “If it saves one life…” will tear apart the 2nd Amendment, other portions of the Bill of Rights, and the very fabric of our nation and its freedoms.

Let me close by asking again that you OPPOSE S.150. We, the law-abiding gun owners of this country, are counting on you.

Thank You for your time and consideration, Senator.

Last edited by hornswaggled; 02-01-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Here are the ones to contact:

Senator Al Franken (MN), FAX 202-224-0044 voice (202) 224-5641

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), FAX 202-228-6362, voice (202) 224-2921

Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN), FAX 202-228-2186, voice 202-224-3244

Sen Chris Coons, FAX 202-228-3075, voice 202-224-5042