Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-10-2013, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Default Need help. Email hacked.

So i just received 34 mailerdemon failure notices and a no subject email from myself with a link in it. And signed by, me.

How can i remedy this? I've already changed my password. Still happening. Never on such a scale though. I look in my sent folder and it's blank.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 02-10-2013, 6:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm not sure how to fix it. My suggestion is that any login that uses your email address, use different passwords. I know a lot of people are getting hacked through facebook.

You might try to contact your email company and see what they can do.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:10 PM

Does not sound like account hack...email spoofing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

Really nothing you can do.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:20 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Nothing got hacked. It's a phishing attempt to try and get you to follow the link. Delete the emails. If you are worried about your email being hacked, change your password to something strong and run a virus scanner on your PC to make sure there isn't some malware running in the background.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:28 PM

Nothing got hacked. It's a phishing attempt to try and get you to follow the link. Delete the emails. If you are worried about your email being hacked, change your password to something strong and run a virus scanner on your PC to make sure there isn't some malware running in the background.

^^^
This.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2 View Post
Does not sound like account hack...email spoofing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

This^^
Old 02-11-2013, 6:29 AM

I use secondary authentication for my Google accounts not sure if your provider offers this.
Old 02-11-2013, 9:34 AM

If you used the link to access your email and changed password while using that link you may have lost that account. Try accessing your account from a different trusted PC and change password again and all password to other accounts to be safe. I would not use your reg PC for important thingmuntil you have verified it is malware and virus free for any vital information, ie.. bank stuff.

Cnet.com download section contains some great fee malware and virus scanners that are top notch. Cnet is very popular and trusted in the PC world.
Old 02-11-2013, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

K i'm kind of lost.

Essentially my computer may have a virus/worm/malware which in turn used my email and address book to send everyone i know infected emails?
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 02-11-2013, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2 View Post

That's what I was going to say, spoofing. Happens in mine fairly often.
Old 02-11-2013, 9:45 AM
Hmmmm Hands
CGN Contributor

Change PW
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

What antivirus are you currently using? What version?

If you still suspect some type of malware then download, install, and run malwarebytes antimalware from malwarebytes.org. It's free and what the hacks at Worst Buy would run and charge you $200 to fix!

If you need additional assistance feel free to PM me!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 02-11-2013, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
What antivirus are you currently using? What version?

If you still suspect some type of malware then download, install, and run malwarebytes antimalware from malwarebytes.org. It's free and what the hacks at Worst Buy would run and charge you $200 to fix!

If you need additional assistance feel free to PM me!
Thanks bud. Will do.