Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-30-2013, 9:46 AM

Default Who is a "member" of the Calguns Foundation?

Who is officially considered a "member" of the Calguns Foundation?

Quote:
The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which serves its members by providing Second Amendment-related education, strategic litigation, and the defense of innocent California gun owners from improper or malicious prosecution. The Calguns Foundation seeks to inform government and protect the rights of individuals to acquire, own, and lawfully use firearms in California.
Is anybody who posts on calguns.net a member or is there some place to formally apply for membership? How does one get a membership card?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am only aware that you can donate money and offer to volunteer time. Maybe Brandon (wildhawker) can illuminate us on your query.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe they have membership enrollment. However, CGF is closely partnered with the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and they offer memberships. Could be a good alternative or better yet a supplement to the NRA.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
In Memoriam

That is me with the purple 'do.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:06 PM

I always thought CGF should do some sort of membership.

Something simple like, $25 a year and you get a certificate every year.

Might be a good way to get donations, people like getting things to show they "did something".

Or follow in the NRA's example, charge >$35 and send 'em something from the CGF store; shirt, stickers, hat (if there was a CGF hat) etc.

maybe?

EDIT: Hell, there's probably a lot of us that would pay $100 for an "annual membership". I know I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr_223 View Post
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...
Old 01-30-2013, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootSauce View Post
I always thought CGF should do some sort of membership.

Might be a good way to get donations, people like getting things to show they "did something".

Or follow in the NRA's example, charge >$35 and send 'em something from the CGF store; shirt, stickers, hat (if there was a CGF hat) etc.

maybe?

EDIT: Hell, there's probably a lot of us that would pay $100 for an "annual membership". I know I would.
Good idea but I don't think the infrastructure is there to support such a program. I'd join as well if given the opportunity.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:15 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

I suspect members are those who have donated.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

What's wrong with just donating and let them do what they do best?

Sue every emm-effer in the room!

Why have them take on some other unnecessary admin?
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 01-30-2013, 4:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post

That is me with the purple 'do.
"I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal and mineral.
I know the kings of England and I quote the fights historical. From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical ...."

OK, everyone altogether sing ......
Old 01-30-2013, 4:18 PM

I'm a member.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
Good idea but I don't think the infrastructure is there to support such a program. I'd join as well if given the opportunity.
Well I was thinking about that, but if there is nothing associated with being a member (no discounts or perks) then there would be no reason to need a database of member info. When someone would 'sign up' for membership, CGF mails them a printed off certificate/paper card, what have you, (costs $0.10? idk) and thats it.

Or (now that I look at it) maybe CGF could tie it into the store? You sign up for an account when you order stuff from there, maybe the infrastructure is already in place?

PS. These are just ideas I had trying to help CGF, really I have no idea what I'm talking about

Quote:
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...
Old 01-30-2013, 4:34 PM
Banned

They don't want or need "members". The board operates the way they wish to operate and donating is done on a faith of past, present and future returns on success of the organization.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What, you guys aren't members?

Old 01-30-2013, 4:57 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I'm a member. Here's what the card looks like:

Hope that clears things up.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 01-30-2013, 5:12 PM

I've contributed twice but I don't have a contributing member by my name. Is that for people who contribute automatically or just contribute?
Old 01-30-2013, 5:15 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafreak View Post
I've contributed twice but I don't have a contributing member by my name. Is that for people who contribute automatically or just contribute?
The contribution label you see under the user name is for those who contribute to CGN (calguns.net the website) which is different from CGF (calguns foundation)

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 01-30-2013, 5:51 PM

I donated but didn't receive any membership. I just want to help in the fight.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:27 PM

CGF has argued in court about having "members" - so there are some
Old 01-30-2013, 6:34 PM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Charm View Post
I donated but didn't receive any membership. I just want to help in the fight.
I want to help the fight. I do see cobra freak and wootsauce opinions, Why not a badge or color for those who donate to CGF. I'll be honest. I only donated 25 bucks so far but I think it's all about promoting and motivating new members. If you don't see many people in the fight many tend to sit back and say "whats the point. No on else is......"

Strength in numbers.

Last edited by pitbull30; 01-30-2013 at 6:40 PM.. Reason: Typing on Ipad.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
I want to help the fight. I do see cobra freak and wootsauce opinions, Why not a badge or color for those who donate to CGF. I'll be honest. I only donated 25 bucks so far but I think it's all about promoting and motivating new members. If you don't see many people in the fight many tend to sit back and say "whats the point. No on else is......"

Strength in numbers.
If CGF took on actual membership, they would be obligated to listen to the members, so to speak. They don't want to! That's not such a bad thing either, or a good thing. Membership would bring in more donors and pride of membership. However, bringing in members would change leadership focus from keeping members happy as opposed to taking on what's important in the eyes of the CGF board.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:53 PM

Yep, a flag of some sort under the user name would cool. So instead of "CGN Contributor" It could be "CGF Supporter" something like that.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh7 View Post
Yep, a flag of some sort under the user name would cool. So instead of "CGN Contributor" It could be "CGF Supporter" something like that.
Not gonna happen. CGF and CGN are not one in the same.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

It's kinda like the unorganized militia which consists of able bodied males aged 17 to 45 who are not members of the national guard or the naval militia.

The CGF has an unorganized membership consisting of anyone who has ever donated time or money to the cause, or sought them out for help or advice.

That's my 2¢
Old 01-30-2013, 7:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
It's kinda like the unorganized militia which consists of able bodied males aged 17 to 45 who are not members of the national guard or the naval militia.

The CGF has an unorganized membership consisting of anyone who has ever donated time or money to the cause, or sought them out for help or advice.

That's my 2¢
I disagree. CGF and their board have their own agenda and that's it. No "militia" will influence what the hierarchy wants to accomplish.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:50 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

CGF considers anyone who has donated $5 or more in the last 24 months a member. We are considering creating a more formal definition in the very near future.

However, just like many other organizations, we are not a "membership organization" under the California Corporate Code in that membership does not grant a member voting rights in the organization. In that way we're just exactly like ACLU and all of our opposition organizations and the opposite of CRPA or NRA where membership entitles you to vote on governance.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-30-2013, 9:53 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

As long as what they want to accomplish is to fight for our 2A rights here in CA I don't care to try influencing them. If their goal ever changes I'll just stop sending money. Seems easier than cards and secret handshakes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
As long as what they want to accomplish is to fight for our 2A rights here in CA I don't care to try influencing them. If their goal ever changes I'll just stop sending money. Seems easier than cards and secret handshakes
And it's amazing how transparency and simple incentives keep us on the same page.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-31-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:

To be honest, that was exactly why I was asking, because I wanted to get a membership card.

I'm in Colorado but I donated a little money to the New Yorkers to help them with the fight and they sent me a nifty membership card.

Thought it would be neat if I could make a little donation to California and get something similar. Briefly looked into CRPA but it appears there is some sort of tomfoolery going on there I didn't want to take the time to understand.

Wasn't trying to influence the decision making process (although that was an interesting conversation). Heck, I'm a member at Sam's Club, but I don't expect to vote on how they run their affairs.

Last edited by Monoz; 01-31-2013 at 8:44 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 8:51 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

I know the two are unrelated, but perhaps the TOS for calguns.net should state that by viewing any of the pages on the site, you get enrolled as a member in CGF.

You could claim lots more members.
Old 01-31-2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
I know the two are unrelated, but perhaps the TOS for calguns.net should state that by viewing any of the pages on the site, you get enrolled as a member in CGF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Not gonna happen. CGF and CGN are not one in the same.
^

Have you ever seen Kes and Brandon (wildhawker) talk to eachother? I don't think it'll happen lol

Quote:
Old 01-31-2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoz View Post
To be honest, that was exactly why I was asking, because I wanted to get a membership card.
That's what I was saying, people like things that show they contributed, be it membership cards, certificates or your user name turns gold on a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
...However, just like many other organizations, we are not a "membership organization" under the California Corporate Code in that membership does not grant a member voting rights in the organization...
I'm not suggesting CGF become a "membership organization" in this sense (with voting and whatnot), I was suggesting that maybe in recognition of donating a certain amount people get "something" to show that they are a donating "member" just like Monoz said he wanted, I belive there are a lot of people like Monoz out there. I just think it would be a way to get a lot more donations.

I know we don't need these things, I'm just saying it might increase the donations to CGF, which is always a good thing.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2013, 4:15 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
CGF considers anyone who has donated $5 or more in the last 24 months a member. We are considering creating a more formal definition in the very near future.

However, just like many other organizations, we are not a "membership organization" under the California Corporate Code in that membership does not grant a member voting rights in the organization. In that way we're just exactly like ACLU and all of our opposition organizations and the opposite of CRPA or NRA where membership entitles you to vote on governance.

-Gene
The issue I have with memberships for 501(c)3 organizations is that the IRS delineates between a donation and a membership. In theory, you need to declare that the membership is tax deductible, which implicitly means that you are declaring that you did not receive anything of monetary value as a result of your membership. If you pay $25 for a membership, and it comes with a $2 bumpersticker, you would legally only be able to deduct $23 of income on your taxes. Donations are a clear deduction without special consideration.
Old 01-31-2013, 4:20 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
I suspect members are those who have donated.
Quote:
CGF considers anyone who has donated $5 or more in the last 24 months a member.
Do I win something?
Old 01-31-2013, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
I don't believe they have membership enrollment. However, CGF is closely partnered with the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and they offer memberships. Could be a good alternative or better yet a supplement to the NRA.
Yea, I joined the SAF Lifetime for just $150.. money well spent.

I would give to CGF as well if it were easy.. I want the secret decoder ring..
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 01-31-2013, 4:28 PM

Donated to CGF last week. How longs the backorder on The decoder ring?
Old 01-31-2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
That's what I was saying, people like things that show they contributed,
http://store.calgunsfoundation.org ?
Old 01-31-2013, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post

That's my 2¢
Thanks for the donation. You are now an "official" member, keeping in mind please, that there are no members. Although, please note that I am a "Senior Member". (If I quit and then rejoin would I be a remember? If I insult my fellow members would I be a dismember?)

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus

Last edited by Rugerdaddy; 01-31-2013 at 9:44 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
I'm a member. Here's what the card looks like:

Hope that clears things up.
That's great!
Old 01-31-2013, 9:53 PM

CGF is perfect, so if I became a member I would break it, but I can send money.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Yea, I joined the SAF Lifetime for just $150.. money well spent.

I would give to CGF as well if it were easy.. I want the secret decoder ring..
What's so hard about donating to CGF? Heck, you could set up your credit card to donate monthly, quarterly, or annually so you don't even have to think about it.