Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-16-2013, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Default CATO: The Heller Ruling, Five Years On

Featuring Alan Gura, Gura & Possessky, Lead Counsel, District of Columbia v. Heller; Robert Levy, Chairman, Cato Institute, Co-counsel, District of Columbia v. Heller; Clark Neily, Senior Attorney, Institute for Justice, Co-counsel, District of Columbia v. Heller; and Emily Miller, Senior Editor, Washington Times, Author, Emily Gets Her Gun (forthcoming, Regnery); moderated by Tim Lynch, Director, Project on Criminal Justice, Cato Institute

Full video of speakers:
http://www.cato.org/events/heller-ruling-five-years

Last edited by SanPedroShooter; 06-16-2013 at 7:16 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 8:16 AM

Default Listened to it

Great to hear from Gura et al. That said, we're not winning. Pretty clearly not winning. Not saying its time to quit, just that we really need a couple more decisions from the supes to get out of the box the federal appellate courts are building around the 2nd Amendment. Nice to hear about Ezell - I just can't forget abortions like Kachalsky.
I am or have been a) a member of the board of directors of a gun club b) NRA certified rangemaster c) been a fund raiser for NRA foundation d) life member of SAF and e) trained several hundred new college age shooters here in the PRK. If you think that posting a bagillion times here on this board makes you special you are part of the problem in this state - put down the [expletive] keyboard and try doing something positive in the real world for a change you Fudd.
Old 06-16-2013, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Very interesting, thanks for posting it.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 06-16-2013, 8:32 AM

Awesome, thanks.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Very smart man. I learn something everytime I listen to him.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Calguns Addict

At 8:50 in, you'll hear Gura quote from the Richards v. Co. of Yolo, where the judge says that the RKBA protected by the 2nd A is "no doubt subject to change and evolution over time." As I've often warned on CGN, if justices can use evolution/"evolving standards of justice" to give rights, justices can use evolution to take rights away. Obey the Constitution: use the Amendment process, rather than judicial fiat, if you want to added more rights to the BoR, otherwise you're opening a Pandora's Box of evils....

8 days until the June 24th deadline for IL AG to ask for cert. in Sheppard-Moore.

Just over 3 months until SCOTUS' "long conference" at the end of Sept when they'll start selecting the cases they want to hear in their next term.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-16-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Watch the follow on video of Emily Miller about what she went through to legally own a gun in DC.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=779317

This substantially is what those pinheads in Sacramento want to impose on us
Old 06-16-2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
At 8:50 in, you'll hear Gura quote from the Richards v. Co. of Yolo, where the judge says that the RKBA protected by the 2nd A is subject to "no doubt subject to change and evolution over time." As I've often warned on CGN, if justices can use evolution/"evolving standards of justice" to give rights, justices can use evolution to take rights away. Obey the Constitution: use the Amendment process, rather than judicial fiat, if you want to added more rights to the BoR.

8 days until the June 24th deadline for IL AG to ask for cert. in Sheppard-Moore.

Just over 3 months until SCOTUS' "long conference" at the end of Sept when they'll start selecting the cases they want to hear in their next term.
Replace the word "evolution" with "progressive" and it should shed some light on it.

Progressive = truth is only applicable to the time and place it was used. Therefore no such thing as natural rights.

Classical liberal = eternal truths applicable to all people at all times. Therefore natural rights are self-evident and inalienable.
Old 06-16-2013, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I liked the Robert Levy bit.
Old 06-16-2013, 9:12 PM

the whole thing 1hr 20 minutes worth is fascinating encouraging after so much KCbrown lately and his usually accurate reality checks
....."there can be no irreparable harm to a municipality when it is prevented from enforcing an unconstitutional statute,” and the public interest always weighs in favor of protecting constitutional rights. See Joelner v. Wash. Park, 378 F.3d 613, 620 (7th Cir. 2004).
I VOTE and contribute to organizations who share my pursuit of freedom
Old 06-16-2013, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
the whole thing 1hr 20 minutes worth is fascinating encouraging after so much KCbrown lately and his usually accurate reality checks
Agreed! KCBrown is often right, but one can't digest too much of him at once.

At about fourteen minutes in, the Glenn-Beck-looking dude starts cracking up when Gura recounts the Moore dissenters' definition of "sensitive places." I don't blame him, I was laughing too.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
I liked the Robert Levy bit.
I could not disagree more with Levy's take on "high capacity" magazines in this speech.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

Levy is profoundly mistaken on magazines. The entire point of the 2nd amendment is to put citizens on equal footing with criminals and would-be tyrants. Limiting the lethality of small arms by neutering the magazine capacity definitively swings that advantage toward the criminal/tyrant, and is therefore antithetical to the very purpose of the amendment.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

Last edited by Maestro Pistolero; 06-17-2013 at 9:00 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed. Magazine capacity regulations are based on several false assumptions

1) Lethality scales with magazine capacity
2) Reducing lethality lowers crime rates .. until some some subjective "minimum" lethality is met, upon which suddenly this is no longer the case
3) 10 rounds is the universal "lethality" minimum, regardless of context (e.g. energy, momentum, and type of ammo)

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-17-2013, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

What possible "compelling governmental interest" can there be in reducing the defensive capability of the law abiding citizenry?

The only possible answers to that question are highly illuminating on the discussion of why it must never be allowed to happen.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Disappointing that in a speech about Heller he spent little or no time talking about the inferior courts' revolt against it.
Old 06-17-2013, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Disappointing that in a speech about Heller he spent little or no time talking about the inferior courts' revolt against it.
I thought he did spend as much time as he could talking about it. I think we're almost seeing a rerun of what happened in the years after Miller. The lower courts purposely misread Miller and try to make it into a militia-only right.