Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-28-2013, 7:45 PM

Default jerry can question

Hey guys,

I have some metal jerry cans that I was trying to rotate out today. As I was filling up my truck I found it to be very difficult to empty the can, there was no valve to let air in and the tube is very small.

Are there any tip or aftermarket caps that make it easier to use? I was almost thinking of trying to syphon the gas in because it took so long.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2013, 8:04 PM

I have the NATO Jerry Cans. Same function and I have the issued spouts for them but found there was much less spillage if I used a cool product called the "Super Siphon. All you have to do is stick the end with the metal shroud which retains a glass marble of sorts in the fluid, then by tapping the metal end against the bottom, the marble starts creating a suction and once the gas or whatever fluid you are transferring gets over top, the hose will empty a five gallon Jerry Can in two minutes! No lie, the thing humps. I bought two; one for gas and one for water and marked them with indelible ink. Blue for aqua and red for gas or chose whatever color works best for you. If you know of a place to buy them, I suggest getting a couple I am including a link for you which is the cheapest place I have found them. It's a motorcycle parts distributor, but hey most of the stuff he stocks seems to be American. They have honest customer service too. I hope this helps. I promise you won't be dissatisfied if you try the Super Siphon and one great thing is you never have to use you mouth again to siphon liquids whether it be gas or any other foul tasting fluid. And lastly, they are GREAT for transferring water if you have water storage for you family.

https://www.denniskirk.com/29128.sku...FSmCQgodUjwAbA

Last edited by tenbender; 01-28-2013 at 8:08 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 01-28-2013, 8:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I too have a super siphon and wedco metal jerry cans, which I can seal airtight.

As racers, we all have refuelers around, like from http://www.vpracingfuels.com/containers which come with hoses and hard lines which attach and breath well to allow quick filling of cars. However these aren't for storage, only really day-use to have on hand. You could transfer into that and then...

Otherwise than what you have there really you might just need a large funnel into your gas tank and fill it by hand. It's been done a million times safely with careful hands, but it can be messy and not without some hazard.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-29-2013, 6:48 AM

Thanks guys, the super syphon it is! I use the plastic "gas cans" for camping, riding and 4wheeling. But I use the metal ones for storing gas, now my gas rotations should hopefully be a lot easier.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

IIRC, its been 20 years since I've had one of those style of metal cans, but isnt there a 1/4" hole just above the threads for the spout? You have to leave the spout slightly loose, or modify the rubber gasket, so air can get in that hole as the gas drains. If that spout is cranked down tight, no air venting, it's going to take forever to drain.
Old 01-29-2013, 4:19 PM

This is what I do. I have NATO cans and the old jerry cans as well.

Get an Automatic Transmision Funnel. Open your fuel cap and shove it in HARD. Now, you can pour fuel in your tank. You may lose some fuel till you get good at it, But it is cheap and easy.

I have 35 NATO cans and fill them when I get a good deal on fuel.
Old 01-29-2013, 9:26 PM

Where would be a good place to buy some. I have looked a few places but they seem to be poorly made def not NATO specs by any means.
Old 01-29-2013, 9:49 PM

They make thicker spouts. Which work better than the skinny... which works in the unleaded only filler on newer vehicles. Another reason to love my old iron The thicker and a funnel works much better.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Nato style cans can be found at ACE Hardware. But I got mine from Oroville Surplus in Oroville, CA.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
Where would be a good place to buy some. I have looked a few places but they seem to be poorly made def not NATO specs by any means.
This is the only place I know of selling new original style Wedco cans:
https://www.deutscheoptik.com/
Old 01-30-2013, 8:45 AM

Default Filling my truck

Got some pictures for you. This is how I fill my truck from the nato cans
And what the cans look like from Surplus City. The painted ones I have had for over 9 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM004632.jpg (56.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IM004634.JPG (68.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IM004637.JPG (80.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 8:52 AM

I also have picked up one of these. Keeps the crud out and with that loud mouth fills fast.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4#.UQlPhuyxoZ0

Happy Days
Old 01-30-2013, 8:58 AM

COOL...... I like that. (out of stock)
That just gave me an idea. I'll grap the screen out of a truck in the scrapyard and add it to my funnel
Old 01-30-2013, 9:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker619 View Post
Hey guys,

I have some metal jerry cans that I was trying to rotate out today. As I was filling up my truck I found it to be very difficult to empty the can, there was no valve to let air in and the tube is very small.

Are there any tip or aftermarket caps that make it easier to use? I was almost thinking of trying to syphon the gas in because it took so long.

Thanks in advance
You could always drill a small hole in the top and install an appropriately sized brass fitting with a cap on it. Open the cap and you have a place for air to enter. Close the cap and you have the air tight metal jerry can for storage.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.