Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-27-2013, 7:07 PM

Default Charter Arms

OK....so my wife finally gets her HSC....and she want to go buy a gun. she finds a .38 lite made by Charter and buys it. Me not wanting to get in the way of her happiness and new found freedoms i bit my tongue.....now im wondering if this thing is going to be a POS? I doubt it will be shot more than 1K in its life. I have heard if the round count is low they are OK......

Anybody own one of these before?
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Let your wife enjoy her purchase. No need too get crazy over her first choice.
She will eventually find out that recoil is more severe on a lightweight handgun. Hopefully, she will than want a heavier gun and choose to sell the CA to fund the replacement. Maybe she will ask you to suggest better options.
Having a wife that supports your gun hobby is probably more important than her choice in brands.
Good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

This gun is just going to give her a false sense of security. They're hard to shoot. They're hard to hit anything. This is counterproductive to owning a firearm. In a real life or death encounter she's not going to cock the hammer back, and I'm doubtful she'll shoot it double action at the range. Charter Arms aren't the most reliable, either.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM

I've owned a couple of Charter snub noses for years. They have been very reliable and accurate (considering it's a snub nose). I just bought my wife one a few months ago and she shoots the crap out of it. It has been very reliable, she is deadly with it, and plans to be one of the main guns in her "carry rotation".

They are not made to the highest quality and tolerances (read "cheaply made", but inexpensive to buy also), but they go bang every time. My wife and mother-in-law like the Charter better than the mother-in-law's S&W ultra light DA only. I'm definitely not with them on that assessment, but that's what they feel for their personal preferences.

I'd buy another one.

"I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away." - Barrack Hussein Obama, 2008 Presidential Campaign Speech

"It's a TRAP!" - Admiral Ackbar, Rebel Alliance
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Banned

Well they are not the best but its her first gun let her have fun and get a better gun later. It could be worse though, she could have got a hi point.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
This gun is just going to give her a false sense of security. They're hard to shoot. They're hard to hit anything. This is counterproductive to owning a firearm. In a real life or death encounter she's not going to cock the hammer back, and I'm doubtful she'll shoot it double action at the range. Charter Arms aren't the most reliable, either.
Steaming pile.

I find them so rough to be embarrassing, but they work.

Quote:
This is counterproductive to owning a firearm.
This is:

Charter Arms isn't.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

ultra lites.....geez, the women in your life have tougher hands than i do!!!!
i went with the smith and wesson model 60 snubbie. no regrets.

OP, you were wise to bite your tongue. she is right to be the one to be making the choice. when/if she's ever ready, would love her to participate in the Ladies Forum. her opinion would be valued.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Steaming pile.

I find them so rough to be embarrassing,
Yup, they are rough. Like I said above, not the best made (by a long shot!) by any means. Though my wife loves the double action pull of hers; cocking the piece for single action feels/sounds like there is sand in the mechanism! But it goes boom every time. My 20+ year old Charter snubby resides permanently in my Jeep; I would trust my life to it.

"I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away." - Barrack Hussein Obama, 2008 Presidential Campaign Speech

"It's a TRAP!" - Admiral Ackbar, Rebel Alliance
Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
OP, you were wise to bite your tongue. she is right to be the one to be making the choice.
Only to the extent that it is an informed choice. Making choice for the sake of having the right to make a choice is counterproductive.

I was with my wife at the department store and was eyeing this nice yellow suit with orange accents. She didn't let me exercise my choice.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
In Memoriam

My steaming pile comment referred to jesse's assessment.

I like this advise on shooting snubs. I have one, carry it always, shoot it a lot. It isn't fun, but Jesse doesn't want to be on the wrong end.

Throw the left thumb over the top of the right. Squeeze, and remember the relationship of the hammer and trigger to your hand as they come back. Eventually you will know when the gun is going to fire, no need to go single action.

Left thumb over right is a good way to lose skin on some semi autos, btw.
Old 01-28-2013, 1:19 PM

Be supportive of her choice rather than negative. If she decides she doesn't like it, then fine. They are tougher to shoot, but all guns are tough to shoot at first. Practice practice practice and then I think she will have it down.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
ultra lites.....geez, the women in your life have tougher hands than i do!!!!
i went with the smith and wesson model 60 snubbie. no regrets.

OP, you were wise to bite your tongue. she is right to be the one to be making the choice. when/if she's ever ready, would love her to participate in the Ladies Forum. her opinion would be valued.
Well i did say her first "Handgun Purchase" (or maybe I didn't ) anyway she is not new to shooting by any means......I bought her an XD 40 for Christmas a few years back and she has bought several long guns on her own. She has taken several intermediate training courses and can handle her XD pretty well. I really think she just liked the fact that it was "Pink"......which I guess is OK, LOL whatever.....I have made my share of not so bright gun buys....thats how you learn. Its all fun.
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:25 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuknBucks View Post
..............whatever.....I have made my share of not so bright gun buys....thats how you learn. Its all fun.

and therein lies the secret of a happy marriage: fun and understanding!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-28-2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
and therein lies the secret of a happy marriage: fun and understanding!
you know the coolest part is since she started buying guns she gets excited when i get a new one too! I told the gun store clerk I have enough guns for a while and she gave me a hard time! LOL

I told her the next gun will be a Glock 23 to go on my permit Bummer huh?
Old 01-28-2013, 5:38 PM

I have one I carry as a bug and have for longer than I care to remember. I don't know about the new guns but my 38 is very reliable sock lint and all it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.

My wife has a choice of a pretty fair gun collection and she carries and practices with a little S&W airweight and loves it. She like the symplicity of the gun.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:41 PM
In Memoriam

Here is a view of Miculeks snub grip. I hope it is big enough.

If anyone asks, going from DA revolver to Glock is a step backwards.
Old 01-28-2013, 6:12 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

DuknBucks, you do know that 1/2 the guys on calguns are envious, right?!

Gun Control:
Old 01-28-2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
DuknBucks, you do know that 1/2 the guys on calguns are envious, right?!
It wasn't always that way it has taken 20 years of marriage ......i finally broke her down.......