Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Win 7 wont save passwords, windows not genuine

All of sudden my windows 7 stopped saving passwords etc. It is set up to do so in auto complete. ??

After being in use for over two years I am getting a pop up window when I start up and every hour there after that says "Currently not running genuine windows"... Mine is legit, I called Micro and they'd be happy to sell me a new product # for over $100 to get rid of it..

I cant find an answer on line (least, one I can understand) for these problems, any suggestions?

thx
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM

if your key is truly legit, you should be able to call microsoft and ask what has flagged your pc as being not genuine.

the only thing that generally flags that is when you swap your motherboard because microsoft considers that a new "pc."

even if you did a mobo swap, you can usually call MS and say your old one died and you had to replace it.

as for not saving passwords, are you referring to Internet Explorer not saving web page passes?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
if your key is truly legit, you should be able to call microsoft and ask what has flagged your pc as being not genuine.

the only thing that generally flags that is when you swap your motherboard because microsoft considers that a new "pc."

even if you did a mobo swap, you can usually call MS and say your old one died and you had to replace it.

as for not saving passwords, are you referring to Internet Explorer not saving web page passes?
^ this is the case. Have you changed motherboards? If nothing has changed, same system etc. then call MS again. You may have just gotten a numbnutz the first time.

Alternatively, you can reinstall from your original CD. Back up all your data, do a clean install (reformat/repartition) and it should be ok.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Personally I don't recommend using the built in PW saver in IE for various reasons. I prefer to use AI Roboform (commerical sw) or you can use something free like Keepass or Lastpass.
Old 01-27-2013, 1:30 PM

I bought it from Frys and it has the product key on the outside yadda, yadda. In the property section of the computer it shows it is activated etc. I didnt change the motherboard. THe original ms person I talked with said something about I didnt "register" the key way back when. I guess calling to get a different tech would be worth a shot. I'd think my pop up blocker setting would stop the "warning" from showing
The password problem would be like when you log onto calguns, click on the user area and the "saved" user and password would show so I dont need to type it all again... Do these sound like some sort of registry problem?
Old 01-27-2013, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
Do these sound like some sort of registry problem?
No these are all related to the "no a genuine version" problem.

Those will go away after you get MS to reactivate it.
Old 01-27-2013, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I have had good success using the tutorials from this very helpful
site. One of the best for W7 and W8.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/
Old 01-27-2013, 2:23 PM
Irritable Smut Lord™
CGN Contributor

Okay, seriously, this sounds like its malware of one sort or another.

Find this screen, by clicking on your start menu, then right clicking on "Computer," and selecting "Properties." Does it look substantially similar to the screen that I've shown here? If it does, then you've got some sort of malware that's telling you that you've got an invalid copy of Windows for the purpose of getting you to give them a credit card number or some such.

On the other hand, if you don't have something that looks substantially similar to what I've shown here, then there's some sort of issue.

Which is it? I suspect that it's more likely the former than the latter ...

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 01-27-2013, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

malware.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Look for KB971033 installed in "add/remove programs". It's a Windows "update" that goes to re-check the validation every 90 days. I suspect it failed to get q check on it's schedule, the KB did it's job, and you need to re-certify windows. It happened to us on air-gapped servers one too many times so we deleted it.

If this is the case, (check first), re-certify windows. After a reboot, go to add/remove programs, uninstall KB971033, then go to windows update. Run an update check and it will re-list that KB. Right click the KB, and select "Hide Update".

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Old 01-27-2013, 3:54 PM

HI guys, I am sure that it is not a malware, in my discussion with ms she had me run thru things to prove it was genuine. I have the screen that Peter s shows (only without the blue scribbles, hmmm we might be onto something..) I am currently downloading a system update readiness tool from the site that bg had recommended. Time will tell on this one
I couldnt find the K8971033 file that njineer recommended, is it in another file? I couldnt pull it up on "search" either.
As always, thanks a lot guys. I let you know what happens with the download.
She said they'd be happy to reactivate by giving me a new key code, for $120
Old 01-27-2013, 4:10 PM
Irritable Smut Lord™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
HI guys, I am sure that it is not a malware ... [snip] ...

One way or another, you've gotten malware. If that screen that you pulled up says "Windows is activated" and shows the little blue logo in the bottom right, then you're activated and good to go, and you've got a different set of issues.

Maybe. Hmm. Where did you get the number that you called where they told you it would cost $120? Was it from a dialog box on your computer? I'd recommend verifying that number through the judicious application of Google, from a different computer, just to be paranoid (or safe, depending on your point of view).

Download and install a program called "Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder." (Yeah, I know, laugh it up. It works.) Run it, and see if the key that it gives you is the same as the key that's on your sticker.

I've bought Windows 7 pre-installed on 3 computers now, and in all 3 cases the number that was on the sticker was not the key that was actually installed. The installed key was an OEM license used by HP, Toshiba or Asus, respectively.

If they key is different from the one that is on the sticker, well, your problem might be solved.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Old 01-27-2013, 4:48 PM

Number I called was the one shown on the computer/properties list: 866 408-5408.
I downloaded that system readiness tool. I think another name I saw was CHeckSur tool. Downloaded it, now I cant find the damn thing to run it.... No wonder why Im going bald!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
HI guys, I am sure that it is not a malware, in my discussion with ms she had me run thru things to prove it was genuine. I have the screen that Peter s shows (only without the blue scribbles, hmmm we might be onto something..) I am currently downloading a system update readiness tool from the site that bg had recommended. Time will tell on this one
I couldnt find the K8971033 file that njineer recommended, is it in another file? I couldnt pull it up on "search" either.
As always, thanks a lot guys. I let you know what happens with the download.
You find that update in the control panel window. It's not a file, it's a windows component, like a program add-on. I'm on a phone or I'd post screen shots.

Old 01-27-2013, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the magical jelly bean key finder software. That is sweet.

I found update KB971033 this way.
Control panel > Programs and Features > over in the left top corner,
View Installed Updates > [Click it and the installed updates will
appear with an option to uninstall] I found it close to the bottom
of the page. I uninstalled it, did a restart and it came up as a
update avail. I chose to hide it as per the post 10 suggested.

I hope you find your problem. I bought a bogus version of W7
Ultimate and didn't know it. After about 4 months I got the same
issue you have. I bought a key from a trusted vendor on eBay
for 80 bucks and it has worked ever since the 1.5 years I've used
it. It is a real pain in the butt, that's for sure.
Old 01-27-2013, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Uninstalling that update prevents the annoying 90 day recheck, but must be done WHILE windows is valid. Once validated and uninstalled it's never supposed to check again.

Old 01-28-2013, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Don't you hate when you are legit and you still get screwed over for it?

Wow. Kinda like being a law abiding and responsible computer user and the MAN wants to stick it to you anyways because other people do not care to be responsible with their computer... I might have your solution if you still need one. No doubt I am sure others have also helped you out.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Old 01-28-2013, 5:43 PM

I believe your 866 number is an HP number, not Microsoft.
Old 01-28-2013, 6:17 PM
Irritable Smut Lord™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCluck View Post
I believe your 866 number is an HP number, not Microsoft.

It is.

This suggests that his software is an OEM version, as OEM software is supported by the integrator, not Microsoft. It is likely that is software is the pre-installed OS. This is why I suggested checking with Magical Jelly Bean to see what the key is.

Old 02-03-2013, 3:20 PM

Hi guys, just wanted to give you guys an update since you were so nice to try and help. I did the magic jelly bean, got a completely different id number than the one shown on the side of the computer. Entered it in the verification thing, did no good..
Long story short, I called micro again (800 micros..) THIS time the gal was helpful, didnt mention a charge and had me check and enter a few numbers and it worked. No more "invalid windows 7"...
Once again, thanks for you suggestions