Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-28-2013, 8:12 AM

In Rottweillers I trust!
Old 01-28-2013, 8:16 AM

Small dogs bark and make noise, an invader's worst enemy. They are watchdogs (and pets) only.

Big dogs may or may not bark, but some will be able to actually act as guard dogs.

Breeds that are more likely to be effective guard dogs are also more likely to create problems like animal aggression to other pets, to bite a friend, child, UPS/Postal person, YOU etc etc. These types of dogs take real commitment with training, exercise and discipline.

If the only reason you want a dog is for HI, I'd recommend a small, non-shedding, nice "yapper" dog.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It also dawned on me if your looking for a new dog you should consider getting a rescue. If you can find one that works with you and your family they will always remember that it was you that pulled them out of that hell hole and saved them. They make for some incredibly loyal family protectors because they want to protect your family, their new pack.

Keep in mind that if your dog breed is on this list you may have to pay higher home owners insurance:
http://www.insure.com/home-insurance/dog-owners.html

However, if you have a rescue that's mixed with something, you can always claim the other side of the mix which isn't on the list. So your Lab/Chow you would just refer to as a Lab mix for example. You can't do that with papered pure breeds.

Last edited by Helpful_Cub; 01-28-2013 at 9:38 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Get a 170lb Rottweiler.

http://www.giantrotts.com/

Special Instructions for feeding:

Step 1: Chain Dog on front porch

Step 2: Leave big screen TV next to dog

Dog should eat approximately 1-2 criminals per day for a healthy diet.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixicus View Post
Simply, dogs are a great additional layer of security against crime. Put Fido in the mix of locking your doors, windows, cars and exterior lighting and unconcealed points of entry and maybe an alarm; makes the bad guys really consider the risk/reward equation for a residence.

OP-victims of home invasions robberies are usually specifically targeted for a reason. Commonly, 1) drug dealers and related because of #2 and 2) residences known/strongly suspected of having high liquid value items such as cash, gold and jewelry. #2 is common with certain immigrant populations hailing from countries with questionable financial institutions/economies or that place high value on physical wealth. The risk/reward equation is such that a criminal will risk a fight, capture or later identification because they need the family to tell them the location of the valuables or open then safe.

Best way to avoid being targeted for home invasions: don't look like a doper and don't advertise any high value items or stacks of cash. Make sure the family doesn't brag either. Even your children in elementary school may say something around less than honorable ears.
Thanks, Mixicus. Great tips and observations. One of my first lines of defense is going to be a yard sign out front pointing to my neighbor stating "Wrong house. Aston Martin - 4 doors down."
Old 01-28-2013, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Canine Members Of The Armed Forces Act

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/keri/2...med-forces-act
Old 01-28-2013, 1:57 PM

Nowadays you get more "Knock,Knock" burglars, so a good barking dog is important. I have a female JRT who is a wonderful barker at strangers. Get a pound pup, that's what I plan on doing next time.

Last edited by indyjrt; 01-28-2013 at 1:57 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-28-2013, 4:34 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawndog View Post
Yes
I would have gone with a strong side draw rather than a cross draw, but that's just me.
Old 01-28-2013, 4:49 PM

In my opinion, a barking dog ranks at the top of the short list of deterrents for keeping bad guys away. Barking is the key, be it a 10 lb foo foo dog or a 100 lb Rottweiler.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixicus View Post
Simply, dogs are a great additional layer of security against crime. Put Fido in the mix of locking your doors, windows, cars and exterior lighting and unconcealed points of entry and maybe an alarm; makes the bad guys really consider the risk/reward equation for a residence.
http://youtu.be/V_TINv4TKhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanTactical View Post
Thanks, Mixicus. Great tips and observations. One of my first lines of defense is going to be a yard sign out front pointing to my neighbor stating "Wrong house. Aston Martin - 4 doors down."
Even better is the sign that says they are at a GUN FREE HOUSE.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:23 PM

In my experience, yes, they can. My neighborhood was targeted by a daytime B and E crew a few years ago, and my house and one of the other neighbor's house down the street were not broken into while we were at work during this stretch. Interestingly, we both had multiple indoor dogs that weigh 120+ each. My neighbor has Rotties, and I have a couple of Great Pyrenees.

Also, keep an eye on people who go door-to-door in the middle of the day representing a church or fundraising campaign...this is how they cased the houses, according to the PD.

Last edited by Vin63; 01-28-2013 at 5:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2013, 5:00 PM

For "home invasions" the dog might be a deterrent. For the dog(s) to be effective the dog should be properly trained and then maintained.

Most "family dogs" are NOT effective, but they can still be a deterrent. This is just my experience.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:47 PM

I don't think I'm the only one who has images of his glorious canine taking a big bite of some crook's behind, but in reality 999 of a 1000 that come to our place are friends or UPS, the meter reader etc. and I can't afford to have a dog that bites the wrong person.

Dogs that are territorial and bark their blooming heads off at intruders insure one thing for sure and that is if the owner is home, he's pretty much awake by now.
Old 02-01-2013, 4:24 PM

I have a friend who has 2 dogs that were barking like their life depended on it when a burglar broke into his house when no one was home. Unfortunately the dogs were teacup poodles. All bark and no bite.
Old 02-01-2013, 8:53 PM

This is why I think that the ballsy bark of a big dog matters. However, I want a dog that will follow up the bark with a bite or attack if the intruder persists. I'm thinking old school junkyard dog style.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:26 PM

My dogs are.
Even family members get challenged when they come in unannounced or late at night.
70 lb lab and a 110 lb Cane Corso
They should afford me enough time to grab a gun and get into self defence mode.
Old 02-03-2013, 2:15 AM

I have a boxer. there is a strong protective instinct in that breed and i find it interesting that when i'm home she generally sleeps (lightly) through the night but when i am not home the dog wont sleep at all during the night, the dog will walk the house and nap lightly at a location where she can observe all the entrances to the house. It took us a few months to figure out why the dog liked to be in that one specific location until we realized its the one location that gives the dog maximum exposure to the homes entry points. on a more than few occasions i've been alerted to let me know that something is going on outside. Usually a delivery or something similar.

a few years ago, during daytime, my wife had one of those experiences when our dog earned her kibbles. she started barking, and it was that real serious alarm bark (i guess dog owners knows the difference in a bark when it is to let you know someone is nearby vs. something that is really not right). This time it was the serious, full on protection mode bark. And the dog moved towards the rear door to our fenced in yard. my wife followed the dog and as she looked out door she sees a stranger in our back yard. she opened the door slightly and asked what the person was doing there. the dog was fighting to get out and defend the property. my wife told me that the dog was seriously in defend mode in a way she hasn't seen before. the guy mumbled something in spanish so my wife switched to spanish (my wife is as white as it gets but speaks spanish after working in latin america) and asked the guy what he was doing there. the person said something about being the gardener, and for some reason the dog was getting really aggrevated about the guys precense and tried to get out of the door. my wife said she had to use all of her power to keep the door closed enough so the dog couldn't get out. the intruder turned around and started running away. we have a locked gate and a 5 foot fence so he couldn't have gotten in without invitation. My wife described the guy as looking like he was not a good man and she stereotyped him as a gangster. it was a fast encounter, maybe 10-20 seconds as the guy split faster than a paycheck when a boxer with reddish eyes and seriously bad snarl is fighting to get free and go into offense mode.

the dog got a nice piece of meat for dinner. I am leaving out some details related to our home security, firearms etc but i am 100% convinced about a dog with a bark as a really important part of keeping your home safe by giving you an early warning that something isn't right so you can get those extra 20-30 seconds to prepare.

our neighborhood has been canvassed and while i usually open the door if someone rings the door bell they almost never want to talk to me if with me holding back a seriously barking dog. for some reason she seem to know if its good people because guests and others gets a very happy welcome. perhaps our human body language and that we arent inviting them in that they pick up on.

but i suggest get a dog. i think the most important character in a dog is that they should have a bark and a protective instinct for the owners and the family. i have only had boxers of germanic lineage as i prefer that stronger personality and protective trait (we train and excercise our dogs as boxers just like other powerful dogs can become destructive if not exercised and trained in combination with owners providing strong leadership towards the dog).

and i love rotties and other large breed dogs, i think almost any dog is good as a protection dog if they have a bit of a bark and a bit of protective instincts in combination with good personality and a bit of training.
Old 02-03-2013, 4:36 AM

my 1 yr old dachshund growls and if feels bad about things,he gets my 85 lb female german shepard excited. so if they don't think a dachshund is threatening enough his big buddy is very able to change their outlook. dachshund =force recon german shepard = reactionary force.. me = 12 ga with 00 buck total warfare.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
He has a thread here. You can have him trained to accept your wife or kids as part of the ' family pact'. Just like wolves have pacts in the wild, your family is part of your dog's pact. Anybody outside that pact he'll/she'll be weary of usually. Good Luck.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=575952

Here's my dog here:
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/x...on/Buddy-1.jpg
Your Buddy looks just like my Juno, got two of 'em; best K9s ever!
Old 02-03-2013, 8:21 AM

Get a pitbull best loyal dogs every and great with kids ....
Old 02-03-2013, 9:20 AM

I have a Malinois who's a rescue and I've never slept so soundly. He knows when someone is walking down our street and well before they are even near the house...he also knows when they get close and when he needs to "sound the alarm".

As a deterant to HI, if the perps came knocking first, they would be greeted with growls, barks and what sounds like a completely mad animal trying to tear down the door to get at them. If they charge the door and break it down, I'm hoping he'll slow them down enough. He has prevented one break in already.

Aside from standard training, he hasn't had any guard training, etc but he's naturally protective...He also wont take food from anyone but us so I don't worry about people trying to poison him or bait him in anyway.

That said, I do have one piece of advice, no matter how sweet that big dog of yours is, when you meet people on walks and they ask if the dog is nice, if they bite, if they are good guard dogs (we get these questions ALL the time) don't gloss about how sweet your dog is and how they would never harm a soul. You don't know who these people are and if they are casing the neighborhood and trying to find out how has dogs they have to worry about. Always err on the side of caution and give them the impression your dog is not one to be messed with. Don't go into detail but just say he's not friendly or that he's a great guard dog, etc. make them thinks twice about hitting your house.
Old 02-03-2013, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I would have gone with a strong side draw rather than a cross draw, but that's just me.
Yeah it's easier when you have no thumbs!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM

I used to have Belgian Shepard mix who was very docile and good with people/kids, but did not like strangers around his family. He would go crazy if a stranger was near the house, he literally scared the crap out of people! I had him trained to heal at the snap of my fingers. So once I saw who he was going off on, I'd snap and he'd sit watch while I interacted with whomever was there. It was very intimidating to people.

We live in a condo, with a common area to the side. The local pot smoking kids would walk through there sometimes to get to their cars. One time, one of the kids is walking by me and says "Man, you've got the meanest damn dog I've ever seen!"

I told him "yup, he tries to bite anyone who gets near that gate!" Knowing full well if the kid ever had the balls to make friends with him, he'd probably get licked to death.

Sometimes, they just have to look mean...

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...dan/Steven.jpg

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...yingSteven.jpg
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My opinion, they are good for the barking/alarm aspect. Most of the undesirable element don't want attention called to their activities.

Just remember there is 100% liability with dogs. A dog can't tell the difference between the kid down the street who gets in your yard to get the ball he threw in there or the burglar/robber bent on causing you harm.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 02-04-2013, 7:31 PM

I have a seven year old, pure breed German Shepherd Dog. He's very large and tall for his breed. He's my pet and not trained beyond basic, useful commands. I would *not* trust him to defend me in a physical encounter, but he has value as an intimidator and alarm. He never false alarm barks, if he barks there is always a reason.

When he was approximately a year and a half, I snuck into the back yard, pretending to be a stranger. When I ran at him, he was unable to identify me and ran away, scared. Dogs gain more confidence as they get older and I'm not sure how he'd react today.

Another note; some dog breeds are rated as puppies as to their temperament. I've forgotten all the test they're given, but include such things as "prey drive", "chase instinct" etc. My dog rated pretty much average, which is what I wanted. From what I've been told, police dogs are selected from only those dogs rated at the top (or most aggressive) of this temperament test. Those higher rated dogs can be more difficult to work with and need more attention than the average pet, they're considered not recommended as family pets.

I'll also add, and please forgive me if this is common sense to you, having a dog, especially a large breed is a huge long-term commitment and IMO, not worth the value in crime prevention alone. You gotta love dogs and want first and foremost, a pet. A breed that is considered vicious is cause for even more precautions and responsibility to ensure the safety and peace of mind of those innocents around.
Old 02-05-2013, 2:24 PM

My wife and I have 3 german sheppard mixes from here:

http://www.sheprescue.org/

but as a previous poster noted it's not a good idea to get a dog just for home security; they need a lot of attention and can be very expensive. Ours are family and whatever they need they get.

On the down side of dogs they can be disabled very easily, a guy with the same agency I'm with who lives close to where I live came home one day last year and found his 2 labs bled out, evidently someone had fed them rat poison; no one has ever been caught.

Something like that would take years to get over, if ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:19 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjrt View Post
Nowadays you get more "Knock,Knock" burglars, so a good barking dog is important. I have a female JRT who is a wonderful barker at strangers. Get a pound pup, that's what I plan on doing next time.
This what got me last year. I wish I had a dog because after they knocked on the front door, they went right around to the back, and broke in. My alarm worked, but the alarm monitoring service failed me big time by giving the local PD the wrong street address, and no one ever responded. I had to come home to wide open house and had the fun of clearing it myself. I know if I would have had a dog, none of this would have happened. Unfortunately I work out of town and it just isn't feasible to have one.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:24 PM

so i have nothing against dogs or pets (i'd like a corgi sometime in the future) but am i the only one who, if i were in the shoes of the criminal, wouldn't be largely deterred by the dog?

way i see it:
day robbery - i try to break in, dog barks, won't attract too much attention as now days most dogs barking are more of a nuisance to most people or passerby's if people going by even hear your dog at all VS im driving by hmm dog barking better pull over stop my car and see what's going on. chances are i have scoped the place out at least once before and will know if someone will be at home during the day. if and only if the dog is large and aggressive will i have second thoughts, but even then, if you have something i really want, im going for it anyways.
from a friend of mine who had a lot of large and aggressive strays by where he lived/walked his small dog, he found that just whipping them with his belt or using pepper spray (misty, not in a stream/jet) was enough except once. that one last time, a very sharp kick to the dog and a firm bonk on top of its head and it was gone too. i could always carry a large knife as well...

night robbery - everyone is home already. anything goes, dogs or no. if im going in for a night robbery, i'm already facing the possibility of an alarm going off, multiple people shooting at me, getting stabbed, etc. an extra dog in the mix is just that, an extra dog.

want to make real money as criminal: id theft and fraud or other white collar crimes where there is a lot more money, less dangerous work, and less severe punishment
if i was in it for the excitement of it all: move drugs

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 02-05-2013 at 3:27 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post
My wife and I have 3 german sheppard mixes from here:

http://www.sheprescue.org/

+1 to that organization, my current shep is from there
"The message were sending isnot here, not now, were prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 02-05-2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinofsleep View Post
so i have nothing against dogs or pets (i'd like a corgi sometime in the future) but am i the only one who, if i were in the shoes of the criminal, wouldn't be largely deterred by the dog?

way i see it:
day robbery - i try to break in, dog barks, won't attract too much attention as now days most dogs barking are more of a nuisance to most people or passerby's if people going by even hear your dog at all VS im driving by hmm dog barking better pull over stop my car and see what's going on. chances are i have scoped the place out at least once before and will know if someone will be at home during the day. if and only if the dog is large and aggressive will i have second thoughts, but even then, if you have something i really want, im going for it anyways.
from a friend of mine who had a lot of large and aggressive strays by where he lived/walked his small dog, he found that just whipping them with his belt or using pepper spray (misty, not in a stream/jet) was enough except once. that one last time, a very sharp kick to the dog and a firm bonk on top of its head and it was gone too. i could always carry a large knife as well...

night robbery - everyone is home already. anything goes, dogs or no. if im going in for a night robbery, i'm already facing the possibility of an alarm going off, multiple people shooting at me, getting stabbed, etc. an extra dog in the mix is just that, an extra dog.

want to make real money as criminal: id theft and fraud or other white collar crimes where there is a lot more money, less dangerous work, and less severe punishment
if i was in it for the excitement of it all: move drugs
Interesting perspective, however, I think that the avg. burglar is not too bright and certainly won't take a chance with a big dog on the other side of the door. There are easier targets.

In the day-time scenario with an aggressive dog, I suspect that you'll lose a hand or at least have it or your arm mangled when you reach in to open the door or window. Your appendage is still at risk with pepper spray. Not true with a foo foo dog though.

Night-time - you're right, a dog is one extra item. However, these guys are relying on speed and surprise, whether it is HI or burglary. With a dog, those advantages are gone.

You will make it in the door. But then you have to take out the dog, which slows you down and puts you at a huge disadvantage. The owner knows your location, but you don't know his. He has had time to arm and is PO'ed that you killed his beloved pet = no mercy, 911 has been called (may or may not help), the house is dark and the owner knows the layout better than you.

Is whatever he has really worth dying for?

EDIT - All of this presupposes some level of logic and intelligence on the perp's behalf. However, see my first statement "the avg. burglar isn't too bright." If he is a dipstick, he won't care. So be it. BANG. He is now in the running for a Darwin Award.

Last edited by FanTactical; 02-05-2013 at 7:19 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Key point. They will go somewhere easier ( and quieter)
Old 02-07-2013, 2:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Take it from a person who has been robbed and walked in to a tweeker sitting on my couch wearing my clothes in a span of two years; I bought an American bulldog and what do you know all the B.S. stopped. Best investment security money can buy!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanTactical View Post
Interesting perspective, however, I think that the avg. burglar is not too bright and certainly won't take a chance with a big dog on the other side of the door. There are easier targets.

In the day-time scenario with an aggressive dog, I suspect that you'll lose a hand or at least have it or your arm mangled when you reach in to open the door or window. Your appendage is still at risk with pepper spray. Not true with a foo foo dog though.

Night-time - you're right, a dog is one extra item. However, these guys are relying on speed and surprise, whether it is HI or burglary. With a dog, those advantages are gone.

You will make it in the door. But then you have to take out the dog, which slows you down and puts you at a huge disadvantage. The owner knows your location, but you don't know his. He has had time to arm and is PO'ed that you killed his beloved pet = no mercy, 911 has been called (may or may not help), the house is dark and the owner knows the layout better than you.

Is whatever he has really worth dying for?

EDIT - All of this presupposes some level of logic and intelligence on the perp's behalf. However, see my first statement "the avg. burglar isn't too bright." If he is a dipstick, he won't care. So be it. BANG. He is now in the running for a Darwin Award.
They're kind of lazy too. Actual burglars who've been interviewed say the #1 deterrent is a dog, mostly due to the fact that they can't be 100% sure nobody is home, but they are 100% sure they lost the element of surprise. Since it's just easier to find a house with no dog, unless you have something they REALLY want, they just go find that house with no dog. One story I was reading someplace, the burglar said if he even sees evidence a dog is there, he won't even bother casing the neighbors' houses either, since the one dog barking attracts to much attention. Ironically enough, he was in jail for burglary and got popped when someone looking to see what their dog was barking at noticed him going in a neighbor's house they knew to be gone.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!
Old 02-13-2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
If you have a larger, silent breed of dog that isn't actually aggressive, don't bother. I took a burglary report (I know, I know not a home invasion.. but never the less) at a house that had a literally 150lb mountain dog. The dog was very friendly and silent; didn't do a thing to deter the thieves. As many have already mentioned, sometimes a little, obnoxious "alarm dog" can be the best thing because they give you advanced warning of someones approach (if I'm not mistaken, that is the original work several of them were bred for).

I myself have been a victim of an attempted hot prowl burglary (he didn't make it inside), my only dog at the time was an 11lb terrier. She and I woke up at the same time and while I rolled out of bed and grabbed my gun she charged the door yapping the whole way. As I approached the front of my house I could tell by her bark that this was no "false alarm" and I dealt with the offender appropriately when I got there. A larger, more aggressive dog in that case would have just gotten in my way. The 11lb dog did all I need her to do: make sure I was awake and let me know who was at the door.
I like the big dog/little dog approach. My big mutt is part Great Dane, German Shepherd, and who knows what. Sleeps like a log. But, that's why we have the two little dogs. One terrier and one border collie. Those two are always on high alert. The terrier is mostly kept in the house and the other two in the back (until night). We know whenever someone is walking up our driveway (offset walkway where you can't see the cars in the driveway). There isn't anyway someone is getting into our back yard or house without taking out our dogs. When the big dog barks, you know something is up (very rare to hear him bark - first time when was the wife's ex-mother-in-law came over around Christmas to see my step kids... great dog).

Thing is with big dogs (or any dogs) is that you just have to train them. My dogs will alert (dash to the door/window and/or bark), but then sit, "go to bed" or "kennel up" when I tell them to.

Only downside I see to having very alert dogs is they tend to catch a lot of birds and a couple cats. I think the little ones gang up and catch 'em, but then the big one steals the birds. He's tried to sneak them in at night to his bed a dozen times, so we always do a mouth check, hah.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton Fenty View Post
Out of the box most dogs are great for advanced warning.
Mine certainly are. They guard the back yard and back entrances to the house. They not only bark like monsters from Hades, they defecate in areas that the amateur 459-artist will likely step in. The utterance of "Godd##it, S#$t, s0nofab$tch" will announce the arrival of a hobbyist to us.

Then AceGirl will put her P220 in his face as I hook 'em up.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:52 AM

dltd

Last edited by gc61132l; 06-13-2013 at 2:22 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Our Belgian Malinois is only 52#, but her speed and agility make up for her small size.
Our house backs up to a busy street. We literally have a sidewalk behind our rear wall. People stop and look over the rear fence (being nosey). Takes about 2 seconds before the view is obstructed by my dog's face as she vertically leaps too look over the wall and run them off.
I never worry about anyone coming into the backyard.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:40 AM

We rescued a chow/shepherd mix a couple of years ago. She has been a great family dog to my two young boys, even allowing the youngest to poke her in the eyes, pull on her ears, and flop on top of her when she's napping.

She's also been a good guard dog. If my wife or I don't let you in, she will bark, growl, and bare her teeth at you. We had some visitors come by and they opened the back gate before I had a chance to hold the dog. She ran out the back doggie door with a bark that was more vicious that I had ever heard from her before and her hackles were raised quite fierce. Luckily our friends had only just opened the gate. They closed it quickly and waited for me to get her. I didn't scold the dog, I just patted her on the head. Once I opened the gate, she calmed down and quietly sniffed them.

She's been a great dog for us. She too walks the house at night when I'm not home. I recently had to spend the night at the hospital with one of my boys. When I came home the next day, my in-laws, who were staying at the house, told me the dog was restless all night, walking throughout the house. She was on alert, on guard, waiting for me to come home.

Yes, I truly believe that a dog is man's best friend, and has been for 14,000 years. Early warning system against possible threats has been one of their main jobs for most of that time.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Default Dogs as home protection

No. They absolutely suck.

Viggo:

85 lbs of fur, teeth, and senses. You can't come into the property from the sidewalk without him letting everyone one at home know you're around. Same thing for his 6 nephews and nieces.

Viggo:

Nefer and Viggo:

They do chill out, but they are almost always on, and some don't have an off switch.

His sister is currently hanging with the world champion as his wife, hence the nephews.

Training them takes work, and pain. Bite after bite after bite and correcting mistake after mistake after mistake.

Viggo:

Viggo:

Viggo:

Bran, as a puppy:

I have no illusions. In reality, all it takes is a determined robber and a bullet to the head to stop the dog when he's inbound. A dog is only one part of a comprehensive plan for home security. They buy you previous seconds, aside from being a deterrent, but they are not faster than a speeding bullet.

Baba Yaga:

Bia Glam:

Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM

dltd

Last edited by gc61132l; 06-13-2013 at 2:22 AM..