Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Default New sig p229 owners difficulties

I have always preferred and had glocks and decided it was time for a steel framed pistol. I am a decent shot with my glocks and am having major issues with my new sig. I purchased a sig sauer p229 .40 BTFO version with Nightsights and I am having major accuracy issues. I switched back to my glock and got a decent group which made me more frustrated. I was shooting with a friend who was also having the same issue with the gun. Im guessing that the sights are fine and it has more to do with me but would appreciate any advice. I was cognisant of my grip and was trying to make sure I wasnt anticipating recoil or squeezing with my hand inappropriately(as i was putting a lot of ****s low and right). Anyone else have this issue, maybe I should stick with glocks. Thank you, any help is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM

If you're right handed it sounds like you may have been jerking the trigger a little bit. I also have a 229 .40 and it just takes a little time and practice to get the feel For something you're not used to firing. Do as much dry fire practice as you can. Pay close attention to the fundamentals. You could also try putting a hogue grip on it. Makes it much more comfortable.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Sigs also are dialed in for a combat sight picture where the front dot covers the point if impact. Are you having issues with just the first DA pull or also in SA? Maybe some grip tape on the front strap may help with the muzzle flip due to the higher bore axis and snappy 40sw round?

Last edited by CAGLS; 01-28-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the input, I also thought about the hogue grip and have already installed one bc the original grip felt thin. I have been dry firing as much as I can and seems to have more or an accuracy problem at the range w sa more than da. I'll make a note of the combat sights and see if that helps
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
more or an accuracy problem at the range w sa more than da.
That is a common indicator that you are jerking the trigger...likely in anticipation.

There are a number of different techniques an in-person instructor can use to correct your problem. But, on-line is a bit more difficult.

The trick is to see the sights on the target and just start applying pressure. Don't try to make the shot go off when you see them aligned on the target, just keep the sights alined and keep pressing.

Having not seen your grip (a picture would really help, as it might be something obvious), I'd pay attention to not putting too much finger on the trigger.

Are you left handed?