Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-10-2013, 8:41 AM

Default Asking to see DL for private ammo sale

I've noticed sellers on the marketplace are asking to see a DL. I don't know why since there is no state law that asks for such. Who do these people think they are, Wal-mart? Personally, I do not think buying a box of rounds from these folks gives them the right to know things like your address and personal info. It's understandable if the buyer for the ammo shows up on a bicycle with a banana seat but not for a obviously of age adult. For the record I fully respect a seller's right to set his terms and refuse sale if these terms aren't met. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

None of their business, especially if the buyer is clearly not underage to buy ammo. I wouldn't show my DL if I was buying.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If they asked to see my ID I would ask to see theirs.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

It's not as bad as the people who want a copy of your DL for their C&R transaction.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I sold a C&R and the guy asked me if I wanted to see his ID... I said no, why does it say you are a convicted criminal on it? Will you tell me if its a fake ID? I knew enough about him to know the deal was 100% legal.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:46 AM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
It's not as bad as the people who want a copy of your DL for their C&R transaction.
If they are a C&R FFL they are required to identify you and put it in their bound book.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey View Post
If they are a C&R FFL they are required to identify you and put it in their bound book.
And that's correct. But a c&r holder is not required to get a COPY of the other party's ID.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
And that's correct. But a c&r holder is not required to get a COPY of the other party's ID.
And that is correct but if you obtain a copy it would help to show due dilligence in identifying the seller/ buyer, whomever the FFL is dealing with. Obtaining a copy of a DL is an easy way to fill the requirement for identification.

I'd be wary of any exchange where the other party was fine with you writing down all the info on a DL but balks at giving you a copy.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I agree. I ask for a copy for the reasons above when conducting a C&R Transfer.

WTS: Lead free 300 Win Mag Ammo http://goo.gl/5Hs4Lw

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
AIM Surplus & Widener's already have copies of my DL. I suppose you can have one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey View Post
And that is correct but if you obtain a copy it would help to show due dilligence in identifying the seller/ buyer, whomever the FFL is dealing with. Obtaining a copy o. a DL is an easy way to fill the requirement for identification.

I'd be wary of any exchange where the other party was fine with you writing down all the info on a DL but balks at giving you a copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Keeping the A&D is the due diligence as the requirements are set forth by ATF. Why would anyone balk at giving you the info? In my C&R sales I advertise the fact it's required. Making them jump through hoops to get a copy is a waste of time and not necessary. View the ID, copy the info and be done. I understand going above and beyond is your choice, but it's not due diligence, it's unnecessary.

I do ask any non C&R holder if they're prohibited from owning/possessing a firearm, but I don't require them to provide me with an affidavit.
Old 02-11-2013, 1:04 AM

I wouldn't ask anyone that clearly appears of age... but its the law.

APTER 2.6. AMMUNITION

12316. (a)(1) Any person, corporation, or dealer who does either of the following shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for a term not to exceed six months, or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the imprisonment and fine: (A) Sells any ammunition or reloaded ammunition to a person under 18 years of age. (B) Sells any ammunition or reloaded ammunition designed and intended for use in a handgun to a person under 21 years of age. As used in this subparagraph, "ammunition" means handgun ammunition as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12323. Where ammunition or reloaded ammunition may be used in both a rifle and a handgun, it may be sold to a person who isat least 18 years of age, but less than 21 years of age, if the vendor reasonably believes that the ammunition isbeing acquired for use in a rifle and not a handgun. (2) Proof that a person, corporation, or dealer, or his or her agent or employee, demanded, was shown, and acted in reasonable reliance upon, bona fide evidence of majority and identity shall be a defense to any criminal prosecution under this subdivision. As used in this subdivision, "bona fide evidence of majority and identity" means a document issued by a federal, state,county,or municipal government, or subdivision or agency thereof, including, but not limited to, a motor vehicle operator's license, California state identification card, identification card issued to a member of the armed forces, or other form of identification that bears the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person. (b)(1) No person prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code shall own, possess, or have under his or her custody or control, any ammunition or reloaded
Old 02-11-2013, 1:16 AM
Banned

Last edited by Oliver_Charles; 01-11-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 6:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I would want to make sure you are of age. There is no need for me to risk you being an undercover "hey mister" buyer. If even if you look 70 years old, but then you should feel complimented that I think you are under 21 or 18.

I don't see the big deal. Cover up your address when you show it to him if you are that worried. Or get a dog and a home alarm.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-11-2013, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Charles View Post
Y'all haven't bought ammo on LA city! Lol. They ID, log and fingerprint for ammo. And Lapd picks up the logs and runs all of the prints and Ca DL #s. they actually get a lot of felons buying ammo. Their success will be an example of why it should be used everywhere. Sucks big time.
You are incorrect. The LAPD does not collect up the information, but the law allows them to inspect it upon request.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-11-2013, 1:56 PM

"But, your honor, she told me she was 18!"
Old 02-11-2013, 2:01 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would have a problem with a CR making a copy of my DL (or recording the info) simply for security reasons. DL information is part of your info that can be used for identity theft. If the CR doesn't maintain appropriate security measures, he/she opens you up to fraudulent activity should they lose or improperly dispose of that copy/info.