Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-19-2013, 7:52 AM

Default where to start? New reloading setup.

I'm finally going to try my hand at reloading. I've said this a thousand times but I'm really going to do it this time. My gun collection is down to 9mm due to a spouse that hates guns. I don't need to produce a huge amount of ammo just enough to go shooting once or twice a week. Any suggestions on a set up to meet my needs. I know everybody says I'm only going to load one but I really am only going to reload one (at least for now). Would like to keep the cost at a reasonable level so the wife doesn't have a stroke. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 03-19-2013, 7:57 AM

Read stickies!:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=108907
Old 03-19-2013, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Dillon Square Deal.
Old 03-19-2013, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
Thanks, I did read them, I just like to get the most current info before I dive into anything new.
Old 03-19-2013, 8:29 AM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Why not find a friend or fellow shooter that reloads the caliber your intrested in. Buy same componets (Use same Bullet so no adjustment is needed on press from primary)and reload on that press to get the learning process down and the feel for it.
A lot of Dillon people around that will help. After you take a test drive on a 650 with a case feeder, you don't want to go backwards. -g

Anyone who wants to 'fundamentally change' the USA is not a patriot.

**WTB stock **(M1917\Enfield P-17)**
Old 03-19-2013, 8:44 AM

Three words.... Lee Classic Turret!

Your welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillAllGuns View Post
Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.
Old 03-19-2013, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtumor View Post
Thanks, I did read them, I just like to get the most current info before I dive into anything new.
Nothing new to learn really, old reloading manuals are just as good as new ones. Buy a kit, lee's are cheap and work. Read reloading books (ABCs of reloading), manuals (fellas like the lymans)

My Advice: Components are rare to find (lead is good for pistol and some rifle).. IMHO start buying ordering components, get on back orders. If you have been saving your brass, good. If not order that as well.

While you are backordering for components.. order a set of matching Dies for 9mm since you plan to load this.

If you have friends, members of your local gun club, or a CGN local ask them to mentor you. (Bring beer, most mentors appreciate that. If you are coming over to my house, bring my wife gerber daisies since this means she wont see her husband for the rest of the day )

Remember reloading isn't a part of your shooting hobby.. it is another hobby entirely, you just use the product in your other hobby. (you will understand when you are on your hands and knees to pick up that one piece of brass that is under the far corner of the table, only reloaders do this.. not shooters)

Last edited by gemoose23; 03-19-2013 at 9:10 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 9:17 AM

Lol the other day i dropped some shotgun primers you should have seen me on my knees trying to find primers that fell behind my reloading table lol
Old 03-19-2013, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
Dillon Square Deal.
If your really only going to load one, this is a very good way to go.

Front Sight Ambassador Member
Email me for Memberships or Certificates

TheDonger.CalGuns@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2013, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dillon Square Deal.
Rarely would i recommend someone start with a SDB, but for someone who just wants to reload 9mm, it doesnt get any better than this.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

If you are the patient kind maybe give a Lee Pro1000 a try. Another good option, albeit with a little less hourly output would be the Lee Classic Turret.

For the less patient kind, the Square Deal B from Dillon will be hard to beat in your application. The only caveat on the SDB is if you have large hands it can get a little tight space wise.

Another great option is a Hornaday LnL AP, Dillon 550B or if you want to go whole hog a Dillon 650.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

I would also recommend the Dillon square deal

Especially if you only ever intend to reload one caliber

However.......

If you do think you might want to change calibers the 550 would be better suited. Or any of the other presses mentioned.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM

thanks, lots of good info, the DSD is on my radar, a little more $$ than I want to spend but I'm sure it's money well spent. I've also been looking at the Lee Classic Turret as a cost effective alternative.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM

Don't get started. It's worse than crack.

IYAOYAS
Old 03-19-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtumor View Post
I've also been looking at the Lee Classic Turret as a cost effective alternative.
+1 on the Lee Classic Turret - great bang for the buck, and a great press to start on since you can use it as a single stage to start off, and go full indexed when you are comfortable with all the steps. I only do about 100 - 120 rounds/hour with it, but that's still enough to crank out 300 - 400 rounds in the morning for a full afternoon of shooting the same day. I've heard others can get well over 150/hour.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dillon Square Deal.
I am a BIG BIG BIG fan of loading everything on a single stage, it just makes more sense than anything else.

But for your post, the SDB really sounds like it is tailor made for exactly you. It seems exactly right. No point in paring everything down for an anti-wife (my wife is anti guns too) just to be in a situation where you have to spend 5 hours loading rather than paying attention to your (no doubt) lovely wife.

So get the SDB, tool up to crank out 9mm like it's going out of style. It'll seem expensive, but it'll pay dividends when your wife only lets you get out for an hour, or a half hour here or there so you can jam out and pull the handle for awhile, then back in to continue honey-do. You'll crank out the rounds in no time.

In your case, IMO time IS money.

----------------

If the SDB really is just too much money, then I suggest a single stage. Just go inexpensive (lee, because the hollow ram catches primers and you DON'T want your anti gun wife finding spent primers, EVER), and run large batches. after an hour here, an hour there, you go from no ammo to a boatload. wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:04 PM

So how much ammo per month do you need? How much time do you want to spend reloading? Single stage is ~50 rph, turret ~100-150rph, progressive ~300-350RPH.

Once you figure that out, you're just selecting high end or low end. Me, I bought a Lee Pro 1000 and hated the POS until I got the hang of it after weeks of trying. Now I can crank out 350 RPH, but it's still a pain to dial in after changing calibers, but I suspect most are. I should have run it as a single stage until I knew what I was doing, or just bought a cheap single stage to get the hang of it then moved up. I couldn't get over 50 RPH for months anyway, due to my ineptitude!

If money is an issue, Lee is your way to go. If you can afford better, you will have an easier time getting the results you want , with less hassle. Lee products work, they're just need more tinkering and care.

Oh and for the record, I thought I'd only load 9mm too, and now I load 762x39, 762x54, and 223 as well! Wish I'd got the lee loadmaster instead, more room for expandability.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
Lol the other day i dropped some shotgun primers you should have seen me on my knees trying to find primers that fell behind my reloading table lol
been there done that... add 50 FMJ 9mm a few minutes later... I was having a bad day.
Beretta 92FS | SA 1911 Loaded | S&W M&P15-22 | TC .44 Bull Barrel | Colt LE6920CMP-B | S&W 627-5 PC | S&W M&P 9 | Mossberg 500 | Rem 700 VSF | Benelli Montefeltro 12GA | CZ455 Varmint HB | Ruger 10/22 50th Anniv. | SigSauer P220 Combat
Old 03-19-2013, 7:54 PM

+1 on the buy components and make a friend that can teach you the ropes.
I personally really like my Lee Classic Turret and use it for a hand full of the calibers I reload. I also have a Lee Loadmaster. The Loadmaster will drive you crazy. When its running well its awesome but I have had to tweak it and replace little parts much more often than I should need to.
When I was reloading 9mm on the Classic Turret I was getting about 180 RPH. It would definitely get what you need done.
If you have the ability I would try and meet people with several different presses that you can try out. I wish I had done the "try before you buy." I would have bought a Dillon 650 instead of the Loadmaster