Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Don't consent to a search of your vehicle, and none of this applies?

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I have it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
So much fud in this thread and so sad a theres a ccw holder that is poorly misinformed.
Well I have been schooled here on this thread now, so you last few posters against me personally are just wasting time. Either that or you just want to feel good about yourselves. You have walked up on this dead horse, and there ain't even enough left on the ground to continue beating. Know what I mean?

As far as my CCW goes, nobody is going to be taking that away from me. As far as how I travel with weapons not listed on my CCW, at least if I am in error, it is on the side of safety. I am not going to end up spending months trying to get my weapon returned to me. Nor am I going to spend any money on lawyer fees to defend myself. Just because I am in the right doesn't mean I'll get reimbursed by the courts afterwards for the money I may spend in that process.

If anyone else wants to take a poke at me, please do so by PM so that I can express in the appropriate language how I feel about it. I took my beating like a man because I deserved it. Now lay off.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed02 View Post
Well I have been schooled here on this thread now, so you last few posters against me personally are just wasting time. Either that or you just want to feel good about yourselves. You have walked up on this dead horse, and there ain't even enough left on the ground to continue beating. Know what I mean?

If anyone else wants to take a poke at me, please do so by PM so that I can express in the appropriate language how I feel about it. I took my beating like a man because I deserved it. Now lay off.

That’s what happens when you post incorrect information on a public forum. You will have to face that not everyone is going to agree with you so will need to have thicker skin.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM

This thread got me thinking; where did this myth come from? I remember, being told this by the guy at Oak Tree back in 04 or 05. I was picking up my P-220 ST after the ten day. I am so glad, that I haven't had to worry about such things, for over 5 years now
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Don't get angry at me, but it seems you are so pissed off that you didn't read the CHP FAQ. It clearly says that the magazines are to be unloaded.
Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

Which CHP website did you go to?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Find a new range to go to....what a crackhead to accuse you of that.

The game is to be sold, not to be told

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!
Old 01-27-2013, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing4u View Post
Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

Which CHP website did you go to?
Didn't you get the memo? He said lay off!

Seriously though, it's an internet forum, don't take everything so personally.
Old 01-27-2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
wow guys, i have 2 neighbors who are chp. they both told me if they pull you over with a locked box with a pistol and loaded mags in that locked case. they will arrest you. also they would cite you or possibly arrest you if you have a un loaded handgun in a locked case and the ammo is in the same compartment/ cab of pickup or inside a car. and they both told me this includes ammo locked in one box and pistol locked in totally sperate box/case.
You'd think the LEOs would be better informed. I mean, if they continue with this piss poor training, they will be making more false arrests, spendind more of the municipality/state's money, thereby depleting the coffers to pay their salaries/pensions.

Seems like LEO's should view understanding the law to be in their better long term interests.

As to FUDtards that work at gun stores and ranges, well they're hopeless.
Old 01-27-2013, 1:16 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Let's let this one go, please.

It's up to every individual to take whatever risk he/she feels comfortable with; going beyond the requirements of the law is not a bad thing, so long as one knows and retells the actual limit.

Takes just one poorly trained LEO to ruin your day, even if the case is eventually thrown out.
Accurately.

This thread went sideways and for a lot longer than I expected.

Librarian's personal day I hope.
Old 01-27-2013, 1:18 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
That's interesting because I was at a party with 40 cops, 20 lawyers, and 5 judges who all agreed that California Penal Code 16840 is pretty clear about the definition of a loaded gun
Welcome to my list.
Old 01-27-2013, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is the reason I am EXTRA careful. I believe I said "anal" because it is too much. But I drive knowing I don't have to depend on someone else interpreting the law the same way I do. It's one of those things where you may beat the charge when it is all over, but you ain't going to beat the ride today. And you may not beat the charge either.
be even extra careful, only own revolvers..........see how dumb thast sounds?
Old 01-27-2013, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMail View Post
OP, you did the right thing, you showed them what is says on the CHP website. If they continue to argue at that point, nothing you can say will convince them otherwise

You seriously cant fight ignorance / pride / vanity. Very few people can admit they are wrong, even when confronted with rock solid proof of their wrongness. it just gets them more riled up, like your trying to pull a prank on them, or are calling them stupid (even if they are acting that way).

It always amazes me that just because someone works at a range, or is a LEO, people take what they say as gospel.

I hired a skeet coach for my wife at triple b clays, nice guy, great guy, but the second i pulled my shotguns from the back of the mini van, he said if i was pulled over i would be arrested since the shotguns were not in locked containers. I explained to him that was incorrect and he really should do some research on it.

I've had that argument with a CHP friend of mine, about loaded mag's in the same container, i referred him to the CHP site, he still didint believe it, i told him to get his cheat sheet book out and show me the code and he couldnt.

yup, yet people still argue with anti gun people.............hell you can't convince a gun shop with facts right off the CHP website, how are any of us going to convice an anti about anything????????
Old 01-27-2013, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2 View Post
And finally, tell the remaining U.S.Coast Guard COMBAT vets from WW2, Korea and Vietnam, to their faces, that they are not a branch of the U.S.Military and I hope they "DECK YA"!
I have a friend who's in his 80s that was a Higgins boat driver during WWII in the Pacific. He ferried combat troops onto the beaches and then took the wounded back to the ships. He was under fire constantly. He was at Peleliu, Iwo Jima and many other less known, but equally deadly island assaults. Sadly, he's too frail to deck anyone now.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 01-27-2013, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
Old 01-27-2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
I have a friend who's in his 80s that was a Higgins boat driver during WWII in the Pacific. He ferried combat troops onto the beaches and then took the wounded back to the ships. He was under fire constantly. He was at Peleliu, Iwo Jima and many other less known, but equally deadly island assaults. Sadly, he's too frail to deck anyone now.
My grandfather was also a Coast Guard WWII boat driver in the Pacific theater. He died before I was old enough to talk to him about his experiences but my aunt has a bunch of his medals and other things from the war
Old 01-27-2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemff View Post
Seaweed, do you have tourretts or something, he wasnt even responding to you.
Looks like Seaweed's been banned. Under "occupation" on his/her profile it's says "parole officer" - scary that he is so ignorant of the law and with such thin skin/quick temper.
Old 01-27-2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2 View Post
As a Former US Naval officer And finally, tell the remaining U.S.Coast Guard COMBAT vets from WW2, Korea and Vietnam, to their faces, that they are not a branch of the U.S.Military and I hope they "DECK YA"!

SJF, Lt., USNR (ret.)
Although I cut this post up to make a point...From one retired Naval officer to another...God bless!!
If you walk into a range with an attitude...you get it back. If you walk into a range as a confidant individual, knowing the law and having a respectful attitude, you also get that back.

Lt Cmdr, USN (ret)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 PM

Wrong or not, all it takes is one asshat to misinterpret the law and ruin your day/week/month/year. Arguing the point won't change their minds or help matters so I tend to lean twords being over cautious/anal when it comes to these things. I keep guns and ammo both locked in separate containers in "different areas" of my vehicle, even tho I have a pick up which doesn't leave much "different areas". I know the law, but I can't trust that everyone does and I'd rather be let on my way than sit in jail just to prove a point.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon0807 View Post
Wrong or not, all it takes is one asshat to misinterpret the law and ruin your day/week/month/year. Arguing the point won't change their minds or help matters so I tend to lean twords being over cautious/anal when it comes to these things. I keep guns and ammo both locked in separate containers in "different areas" of my vehicle, even tho I have a pick up which doesn't leave much "different areas". I know the law, but I can't trust that everyone does and I'd rather be let on my way than sit in jail just to prove a point.
You would be even safer if you just got rid of your guns...after all you can't be to careful.

Old 01-28-2013, 9:01 AM

I'm not talking about being safe, I'm talking about giving an ******* with a bad attitude and a badge an excuse to lock you up and take away your gun . You can be right all you want but it doesn't change the fact that you're sitting in a jail cell, guns confiscated, losing work and not being able to pay bills and feed your family.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm not talking about being safe, I'm talking about giving an ******* with a bad attitude and a badge an excuse to lock you up and take away your gun . You can be right all you want but it doesn't change the fact that you're sitting in a jail cell, guns confiscated, losing work and not being able to pay bills and feed your family.
They could do that for anything, so in the end it doesn't matter how "extra safe" you are, as long as you were following the law.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My grandfather was also a Coast Guard WWII boat driver in the Pacific theater. He died before I was old enough to talk to him about his experiences but my aunt has a bunch of his medals and other things from the war
Cool. My friend's favorite story about how he got into the Coast Guard is pretty funny. After Pearl Harbor, he and his buddy wanted to join the Navy and get some payback. They saw a recruiter station with pictures of ships and went in and joined up. Later when they told my friend's dad, he noticed that they had signed up for the CG by mistake. His dad said, "well you'll probably be a lot safer in the CG than the Navy" thinking he'd be stateside. Instead, he was much closer to most of the action.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 01-28-2013, 9:43 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Then you get a nice settlement for their mistake..........so what's the problem?
Old 01-28-2013, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If this is the case why would you let them search your car?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 View Post
You guys really don't have anything better to argue about?
LOL.
P-85 Ruger MKII, Glock 17-29-32-20-21SF, M9A1 Beretta, SA/XD 40 Ported, SA/XD 45ACP 5" Tactical, 2-Bushmaster XM15 E2S, 1-Armalite AR10A2, 2-RRA OLL, 1-Stag OLL, 5-JD Machine Tech OLL, KRISS Vector 45ACP CRB, Stoeger’s Double Defense Shotgun 12ga, Saiga 12ga Tactical Shotgun IZ-SL433A, Remington 870 12ga 18" Barrel.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There are no guarantees in this country. Not even staying in your house day-in and day-out would prevent cops as your defined above.

The point is, know the laws, live within the laws and when someone wrongs you, even a cop, you let the LAW as in the court decide who is right (after the dust settles). Yes, it can be costly in both time and money, but that is the only way for us humans to as painlessly as possible share space with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You can get his service record you know. I obtained the entire service record of my late mother-inlaws first husband. From his enlistment physical, schools he attended, ships he was on, to the letters from SECNAV Forrestal telling her the few known details of his loss. William Russell CQM, USS Swordfish SS193 "still on patrol" somewhrere off Kyushu, lost Jan 1945. His boat scored the first sinking of a Japanese merchant ship by a US warship after Dec 7th, on Dec 14th 1941 they sank a freighter.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Wow. The number of posts arguing over what's a fairly simple procedure is amusing. I transport my handguns in the trunk. Ammunition is stored in a separate ammo case IN THE SAME TRUNK. I don't pre-load magazines as a matter of practice but I certainly COULD have loaded magazines provided they were not inserted in the firearm during transport. Lighten up fellas!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
Wow. The number of posts arguing over what's a fairly simple procedure is amusing. I transport my handguns in the trunk. Ammunition is stored in a separate ammo case IN THE SAME TRUNK. I don't pre-load magazines as a matter of practice but I certainly COULD have loaded magazines provided they were not inserted in the firearm during transport. Lighten up fellas!
We can all thank Malum prohibitum laws giving us something to bicker over. All in an attempt to govern morality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 01-28-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211275 View Post
...but we are in CA where anything over 10 rounds is against the law, so thats a moot point.
Well at least you are consistant.

Consistantly wrong that is.

Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are LEGAL to have and use in this state. And many of us older folks actually do have such things from the "olden days" (pre-2000).

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y

Last edited by Sniper3142; 01-28-2013 at 9:13 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Here is one thing to get over the fear of being put in jail - give up all your guns and ammo. This way you won't have to worry about breaking the law while not breaking the law.

I mean how chicken-**** have we been conditioned to be?! Either you are breaking the law and should be rightfully scared or you are transporting stuff legally and not have to worry about someone ignorant of the law messing up your life.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM

You can be arrested for most anything the cop wants to dream up. It's the convictions you need to worry about.
Our Founding Fathers were willing to forfeit the fortunes, Freedom and lives if necessary to promote their cause. I am ashamed for those of you that submit to illegal detainments, searches, arrests and lead your lives in such a fashion as to not offend anyone at anytime.
If I am in compliance with the law and arrested anyways so be it. I will fight for my God given right to self defense and my consitutional right to bear arms.
Enough is enough. Resist, the odds don't matter anymore.
So I'm throwing the BS flag. "Unsportsman like conduct, incorrect information and roughing the customer" Number: Gun Store Dumbass - 15 yards. First and ten for the customer. And that ten yards should be in the direction of another range facility.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper3142 View Post
Well at least you are consistant.

Consistantly wrong that is.

Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are LEGAL to have and use in this state. And many of us older folks actually do have such things from the "olden days" (pre-2000).
Hey watch that "older folks stuff"

I do have my 20 rounders for my M1a from the 1980's, 6 50rd mags for my 1994 10/22 and 6 15 rounders for my M1 carbines bought in 1971 ( I was just a kid ) Plus the 30rd M2 Carbine mags I've had since the 1980s'.

Come to think of it there ARE advantages to being "older folks!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM

Entertaining thread.

More drama here then at the range.

Old 01-29-2013, 1:08 PM

Know the law...educated those who doesn't. That includes cops, gun owners, antis, even Coast Guards (I kid, I kid).
Old 01-29-2013, 1:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
OK fellas, I'll quit. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that is how I travel because it just takes one person to translate the law a different way, and you end up trying to beat the charge. I stay anal on myself to make sure no one else can end up ruining my year by being more anal than me.
Seaweed, I gotta hand it to you. You typed something that was not entirely correct and every poster came down hard on you, some even being insulting, and yet you just calmly posted without flaming anyone. Regardless of the topic, I have to say I admire your patience and civility!
Old 01-29-2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Seaweed, I gotta hand it to you. You typed something that was not entirely correct and every poster came down hard on you, some even being insulting, and yet you just calmly posted without flaming anyone. Regardless of the topic, I have to say I admire your patience and civility!
You missed his posts that got deleted - pretty much insinuating that he wanted to fight me
Old 01-29-2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
it would take quite a few people to interpret the law wrong before you find yourself on the wrong end of a charge.
It actually only takes one - the officer searching your vehicle. Arrest does not equal conviction, sure, but it does equal a lot of time and money spent in defense, not to mention your odds of not passing the background just went through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
wow guys, i have 2 neighbors who are chp. they both told me if they pull you over with a locked box with a pistol and loaded mags in that locked case. they will arrest you. also they would cite you or possibly arrest you if you have a un loaded handgun in a locked case and the ammo is in the same compartment/ cab of pickup or inside a car. and they both told me this includes ammo locked in one box and pistol locked in totally sperate box/case.
Either provide them with the correct info or out them and someone else will. Because if you're not BSing, then those officers have some serious issues.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 01-29-2013, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You missed his posts that got deleted - pretty much insinuating that he wanted to fight me
Hmmm, well so much for that then. Just when I thought I'd seen something new!
Old 01-29-2013, 2:54 PM

I have a coworker that is ex-corrections and in backgrounds right now with two locals police departments. Been on a million ride-alongs blah blah blah. I asked him what would happen if he pulled somebody over that had loaded magazines in the same locked case as the unloaded gun. He said "you would be in
handcuffs until I secured that weapon."

I then quoted "Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the MAGAZINE WELL."

He still argued it with me that the gun is "loaded" so I gave up.