Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Default Wear marks on 1911 bull barrel lug - Normal? (SA TRP Operator)

I was cleaning the SA TRP Operator 1911 last night and I noticed some wear on the bull barrel lug. Is this normal? If not, what could be causing this?

I haven't had it for too long, maybe cleaned it 3 times so far and just noticed it. The only thing upgraded was the Dawson Precision guide rod.

Here are some pictures:

Thanks!

Last edited by kcheng616; 01-25-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM

No that is not normal, i had this exact problem and made a thread about it.
Long story, send it in to springfield and they will take care of it.

Post #8
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=613397
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
**** the children.

Last edited by Riddler; 01-25-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Dont think that is normal.. I would call SA customer service and let them take care of you.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Not normal...a trip to SA is in order.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:30 PM

Looks like sending it off to SA for a cleanup will be the best solution.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-25-2013, 4:20 PM

The back of the aftermarket guide rod is beating up your lug when the slide returns to battery.

If you look at the animation, you'll see that the guiderod's rearward movement should be stopped by a step in the frame, and should not be contacting the lug at any point during the firing cycle.

The way I see it (without being a gunsmith, at least), is that tolerance stacking on the barrel, the frame, and the guide rod, created enough of a gap that the guide rod is no longer being held in place by the frame, and it's actually resting against the lug. Under recoil, the barrel completes its rearward movement long before the recoil spring bottoms out, so the only time it can see that kind of hammering movement is as the barrel is returning to battery. That's probably also why the peening higher up on the barrel is not consistently in one place.

Because the damage you're seeing is likely caused by the aftermarket part (assuming you didn't notice the damage with the stock guide rod), it may not be covered under Springfield's warranty. At the least, you're probably going to have to pay for the parts and work, at the most, they'll refuse to touch it.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:23 PM

Yah. It's hitting the guide rod.

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-25-2013, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

It really does look like it was cause by the aftermarket guide rod. You'd be lucky if SA will repair damage caused by a part that you installed and apparently didn't have fitted correctly.

As a general rule, recoil reducing gadgets do more harm than good...especially if they are advertised as drop-in
Old 01-25-2013, 4:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I'm probably going to swap back in the factory guide rod to take a peek and then contact SA to see if they can help with cleaning it up a bit. Seems to have happened to a few others and SA was able to give them a hand with it.

Def bummed out that such a nice piece that was so highly rated caused some issues with the 1911.

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2013, 7:49 PM

I had similar damage from a funky flgr on a SA mil spec. I cleaned it up, put in a gi setup and was gtg.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Def bummed out that such a nice piece that was so highly rated caused some issues with the 1911.
Who highly rates that guide rod assembly?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Who highly rates that guide rod assembly?
I guess not then. Got rid of it.

Actually didn't see any nicks on that guide rod, instead noticed nicks on the factory guide rod when I was doing the swap back to the original setup. Going back to SA for sure.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Both of my SA's were the same way. The OEM guide was beating up the lugs. As usual though, SA fixed it and had both back before a week had passed.
Old 01-28-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheng616 View Post
I guess not then. Got rid of it.

Actually didn't see any nicks on that guide rod, instead noticed nicks on the factory guide rod when I was doing the swap back to the original setup. Going back to SA for sure.
There is a possibility that those nicks were there before you have the Dawson Tool less guide rod. I have a TRP operator and had the same marks, sent it back to SA for repair and came back looking new. After getting it back, I replaced the original guide rod with the Dawson Tool less guide rod and sees no new nicks.
Old 01-28-2013, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Instead of dealing with the overly complicated tooless guide rod from Dawson, get the 10-8 reverse plug and you can run a regular rod.

Old 01-28-2013, 2:43 PM

Jesse, nice idea, ...its out of stock like everything else tho! 10-8 makes some nice stuff!
Old 01-28-2013, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good tip, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Instead of dealing with the overly complicated tooless guide rod from Dawson, get the 10-8 reverse plug and you can run a regular rod.

Old 01-28-2013, 7:27 PM

If Springfield seems like they are going to take forever to repair, you could simply file, stone, and lightly clean-up those edges yourself. It's really not a big deal, and your pistol will be just fine. One could say that you de-horned the inside of your gun! Extra cool!
Old 01-29-2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Mac View Post
If Springfield seems like they are going to take forever to repair, you could simply file, stone, and lightly clean-up those edges yourself. It's really not a big deal, and your pistol will be just fine. One could say that you de-horned the inside of your gun! Extra cool!
It seems to me that in doing that, it'd be like putting a new coat of paint on rotting wood. The point is that there's wear and peening occurring in an area that shouldn't be seeing that kind of wear, and you really need to figure out why the gun's doing that, or else it'll just come back again. And then especially when we're talking about barrel bottom lugs, if it's impacting something during recoil or feeding, you could eventually start seeing cracking where the lugs meet the barrel. Granted, breaking your barrel is probably an extreme case, but why risk it on something that's probably easily fixed.

Before buying any replacement parts, I'd find someone with some calipers and a set of the dimensions for the areas involved, and see what's really going on inside the gun. It could be that the SA part caused the damage and you never noticed it before. It could be a problem with the machining of the frame or the barrel, in which case simply buying a new guide rod might not do anything. There should really be a proper diagnosis so that you don't waste money on parts that you don't need.

Last edited by CrippledPidgeon; 01-29-2013 at 6:32 PM..