Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Dimensions of AMD-65 vs AK receiver

I'm planning on building a AMD-65 kit but with an AK fixed stock and monsterman grip. I realise that the AMD-65 receiver has cutouts at the back for the folding stock, but I was wondering apart from that, are there any difference between the dimensions of the AMD-65 and the AK receiver?

Can a AMD-65 kit be assembled onto a Nodakspud NDS-3 receiver (I already have one in my safe), or am I better off building on a NDS-65 receiver and adapting it to take a AK fixed stock?

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 09-11-2007, 6:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Aside from the cutouts for the stock and different locations for the trunion holes there are no differences between the AMD and the standard AK sheetmetal receiver.

You Could build an nds3 receiver, but in my opinion you should spend the extra sixty bucks and have it look good and just build an extra AK out of your old receiver, the amd65 nodak receiver is perfectly sized and drilled and looks great. (and if you order direct, you can get a custom serial number for no extra cost)

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 09-11-2007, 6:31 AM

I`ve noticed that the market is kinda flooded with these kits now. It sems like the ones in the $ 200 price range do not have macthing serial numbers.
How do you set the headspace on an AK and what would you do to extend the barrel to the necessary minimum of 16"?
Old 09-11-2007, 6:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I used the extended muzzlebreaks and welded them in place.

setting the headspace is one of the things you might want to have done for you by a pro.

Old 09-11-2007, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
setting the headspace is one of the things you might want to have done for you by a pro.
How much will it cost to have a professional smith set the headspace?
Old 09-11-2007, 6:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm not sure, (but other members on here will probably know, some can most likely do it)

I'd just build it, then check the headspace. you might get lucky... most people I know that have built AK's haven't had any issues.

Old 09-11-2007, 6:43 AM

Ok thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the info Ajax22.
I'd like to retain the detachable magazine, but the standard folding stock (even if converted to a fixed stock by welding, etc) will not work well with a MMG, as it leaves a large gap between the stock and the MMG, therefore negating the MMG as a non-pistol grip. Retaining a folding stock is not important to me, in maintaining a featureless build.
Shown here is the original folding stock layout:
amd-65.jpg

I have mocked up on my NDS-3, a MMG with a Tapco folding stock (fixed with a spacer) and the two actually fit well together without leaving much of a gap at all.
http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?i...4-4cb8d46ad866

I appreciate none of this makes the AMD-65 look original, more of a "Kalashenstien", but function within the confines of CA gun law is more important to me in this case than originality.

I will be welding on a Tapco extended AMD style muzzle brake to keep the barrel length over 16".
http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?i...d-aaae7d161a9d

Quote:
I`ve noticed that the market is kinda flooded with these kits now. It sems like the ones in the $ 200 price range do not have macthing serial numbers.
My $200 AMD parts kit from Cope's has all matching no's and is in extremely good condition.

Last edited by bigthaiboy; 09-11-2007 at 9:53 AM..
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For my AMD65 builds I am going with full features and detachable magazines

however I am assembling them with bobbed gas pistons, so they will only function as a bolt action.

If I ever go to a free state, it takes 30 seconds to swap the bolt carriers for a complete one.

If you are not going to use a folding stock then a standard NDS3 receiver will work just fine (tho it seems like bit of a waste to use an amd65 front end like that)

Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you are not going to use a folding stock then a standard NDS3 receiver will work just fine (tho it seems like bit of a waste to use an amd65 front end like that)
No, I understand. I'm looking to have something a little different to an AK, yet functions as it should, but ultimately, the process is not irreversable as I will still have the AMD folding stock and grips, and until I figure a better legal way of doing a full NDS-65 build, since I know that I will not be leaving CA.