Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Help withs a News Article - CCWs and California Laws vs. the U.S.

Hi CalGuns,

I am an investigative reporter based in Monterey County, California and I work for a newspaper and I am working on a story on California gun laws and the CCW process in this state.

I do understand the divide between good journalism and the firearms community and that's why I am reaching out, as I want to do the most accurate story I can. Please do not spam me with loads of hate mail, etc., I’m just trying to do my job accurately. I am familiar with the firearms community disliking “the media” and I want to help bridge that gap by making a good story. I have a background in firearms and am pretty well-versed in the California penal code dealing with firearms, but I need some help.

I want to show the massive difference between gun laws in California versus the majority of the United States. I think things like the cap on magazine size—like in a Glock 19—create factions within the the gun community in the U.S. as a whole and create in-fighting. Similar with many firearms—27 by my count in 2013—than have been taken off the sold/manufacture list by the California DOJ. One gun owner I talked explained how a handful models denied in California are for purely cosmetic reasons.

1 - What other laws solely affect California and none of the other states?

For example, another gun owner I talked to was disappointed in two, what he called "unnecessary safety features", in California firearms requirements: loaded chamber indicators and magazine disconnects. His argument is that both of these features promote unsafe gun handling by making users lazier by not manually checking the chamber, etc.

2 - As a gun owner/supporter/CCW holder in California, what hinders you the most?

I have talked extensively with Monterey County Sheriff Miller on CCW stuff and his policies and chatted with Kern County Sheriff Youngblood last week. One thing Mr. Youngblood mentioned is response to my question about standardizing CCW laws through all California counties was that the Sheriff's can't ever decide on similar laws, because they make their CCW policies based on their personal opinions, even though a CCW issued in California is good for the entire state, BUT you can only get one in your county of residence.

In my research, I've found Monterey County to be the only (I'm pretty sure this right) county that requires a psychological exam in the app for a CCW. It's the same one LEO goes through for their hires and it's only in Los Gatos. Allegedly, it's pretty extensive.

3 - On the handgun registration requirement, do you think there are some people who should not be able to possess firearms? I understand the second amendment says it's a right to do so, but is there a way to create some regulations that can help curtail safer users as firearms in the hands of untrained people are unsafe. As Sheriff Miller told me, he would like more "responsible and safe gun owners" out there. Or should anyone, regardless of who they are and their background, be able to own and carry guns?

4 - One other interesting notion I have come across is that guns in pop culture are this big machismo thing. Look at gang culture, kids pretending their cool with them, etc., but much of the CCW and safe firearms handling literature and users I've spoken with state that the very last thing you want to do is draw your firearm and have to use it. Do anything you can to remove yourself from the situation other than drawing/firing your gun.

Is the machismo gun culture a hinderance to gun owners? How can it be changed?

~

I will not quote anyone in this thread, but you can message me here if you would be willing to talk further, on the record or off.

Thank you,

~ N

Last edited by MCW_Journo; 03-20-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM

If we're just asking lists of questions, I've got some:

Are you a democrat?

Are you a liberal?

What are your personal feelings on the questions you asked?

Are you a gun owner?

Have you ever touched or fired a gun?
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackston, W. Virginia Board of Education v. Burnette, 1943

Last edited by smogcity; 03-20-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW_Journo View Post
I'm a journalist. I don't take sides. I'm just trying to tell a well-rounded, well-researched story.
Not true. Your personal opinions will slant your story.

Please answer the questions and post links to your body of work so we may have all the facts upfront.
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackston, W. Virginia Board of Education v. Burnette, 1943

Last edited by smogcity; 03-20-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Look, I'm not trying to create a firestorm here. I am simply trying to get a sense of how gun owners in California feel about the laws they have to deal with as a sect of society.

I am talking with folks on both sides of the argument. I am well-aware of the reluctance of gun owners/2nd amendment supporters to talk with journalist, because unfortunately in the past they have been unfairly represented and misquoted. In all my reporting, I try to make the fairest, well-balanced story I can.

Would you rather I not try to talk to gun owners and only talk with the vocal, non-gun side?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Paging Gene, Brandon, and Jason Davis...

Nic's contact info:

http://www.photographnic.com/contact

Last edited by smogcity; 03-20-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogcity View Post
Paging Gene, Brandon, and Jason Davis...
Paging Gene, Brandon, and Jason Davis.. Clean-up on aisle 2, section A.
You represent what's wrong with America. A sheep. Waiting on your welfare so that you don't have to think or work, and be part of a movement. Now, get out of the library and let someone else use the government's computer.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM

You don't happen to work for the same newspaper that printed this frontpage article in their "News" section do you?

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...spiratorially/

You cannot be to surprised to get some backlash and lack of trust from individual gunowners considering how badly we have been treated in the media lately. E.g. the state wants to ban civilian owned "assault weapons", but the same firearm in the hands of an LEO is called a "patrol-rifle" by the same media outlet.

Write an article about biased reporting by the media in the gun control debate and then perhaps some of us will be more willing to discuss our opinions with you.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

If you want to compare California’s licensing requirements with those of other states, you can start with Handgunlaw.us. This site provides excellent summaries of how the process works in each state and shows how obtainable the respective licenses are. However, the short version is that, outside of a few counties, California is one of the handful of states that make it very difficult for a common citizen to become licensed.

With the law-abiding effectively disarmed, we’re left with the “machismo,” gang, and thug cultures, which go armed in spite of the law and commit most of the violent crime. The gun charges they may face when they are eventually arrested are usually add-on counts, so they are often dropped by prosecutors in order to secure convictions for the more serious offenses (homicide, robbery, etc.), or a sentence on a possession charge, for example, may be served concurrently with that for assault. In other words, current enforcement practices do little to compel actual criminals not to use firearms.

Last edited by M. D. Van Norman; 03-20-2013 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
If we're just asking lists of questions, I've got some:

Are you a democrat?

Are you a liberal?

What are your personal feelings on the questions you asked?

Are you a gun owner?

Have you ever touched or fired a gun?
this. if the OP is not willing to divulge information about himself or his/her past published articles, i think mum's the word.
You represent what's wrong with America. A sheep. Waiting on your welfare so that you don't have to think or work, and be part of a movement. Now, get out of the library and let someone else use the government's computer.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 AM

As stated by others, the ones you want to contact will be Gene Hoffman, Brandon, and Jason Davis.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM

I don't see how asking for links to other stories you have written is creating a firestorm, it actually seems quite reasonable. You wish to get a sense of how CA gun owners feel, well we want to get a sense of you before we open up.

Quote:
Would you rather I not try to talk to gun owners and only talk with the vocal, non-gun side?
What, another biased and uninformed article from the CA media?!? Full of errors and drama?!? OH NOES!!!!1! What shall we ever do? Why do you feel threats like this will improve your standing in this community and increase our desire to help you?

In an offroad forum I belong to, right about now somebody would request that you fornicate a high speed bladed impliment and imbibe some caustic liquid...but we're more polite here.
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsend81 View Post
You don't happen to work for the same newspaper that printed this frontpage article in their "News" section do you?

You cannot be to surprised to get some backlash and lack of trust from individual gunowners considering how badly we have been treated in the media lately. E.g. the state wants to ban civilian owned "assault weapons", but the same firearm in the hands of an LEO is called a "patrol-rifle" by the same media outlet.

Write an article about biased reporting by the media in the gun control debate and then perhaps some of us will be more willing to discuss our opinions with you.
Holy Jesus...This pos article had every anti gun straw man/red herring ever trial ballooned...KKK, Ruby Ridge, it was like a leftist wet dream

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Holy Jesus...This pos article had every anti gun straw man/red herring ever trial ballooned...KKK, Ruby Ridge, it was like a leftist wet dream
That's why I brought it up. So, OP, do you work for the same paper that published this article?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That's why I brought it up. So, OP, do you work for the same paper that published this article?
Per his bio, yes

http://www.photographnic.com/about/

"My name is Nic Coury and I am a professional photographer based in Monterey, California.

I have always enjoyed photography as a way to tell stories.

In my career, I have photographed professional sports, breaking news, commercial products and lots of people, and have shot and produced video multimedia projects as a way to enhance the visual story.

Around Monterey County, I have covered a variety of events, from the U.S. Moto Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. In California, I have covered the NFL's Oakland Raiders and the California Rodeo Salinas.

I have also shot commercial and advertising photos for local businesses from wineries and bakeries, to architecture firms and car companies, like Bugatti and Ferrari.

I am currently working as the staff photographer for the Monterey County Weekly newspaper where I shoot news, sports and feature assignments, as well as produce multimedia pieces and help to manage our online presence."

Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 AM

The internet is an amazing thing, isn't it?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Well, OP, it looks like your request is going over as well as a fart in church.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:

You should be smart enough not to ask that silly question. You then become like the rest of most media.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Folks, so far this seems to be OK, but just a reminder - be polite.

Skeptical is almost certainly warranted. Cautious is definitely called for.

But Nic does make one good point:
Quote:
The issue with that is control over how such responses might be presented, and what 'balance' there might be.

Even a good faith promise from a reporter could be over-ridden by the decisions of an editor or publisher.

ETA - it would be nice if a reporter would offer a testable proposition to both pro-rights and anti-rights people, and calibrate his/her response and estimate of respondent reliability based on the accuracy of the test results.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-20-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

Even a good faith promise from a reporter could be over-ridden by the decisions of an editor or publisher.
Which is why I posted the link to article published by the paper he works for. Full disclosure. Why would any of us wish to have our words twisted by an outlet that publishes articles such as that? Also notice that Nic removed his contact info from the original post which showed what paper he worked for.

Yes, at this point I am skeptical and will remain so. My apologies if it's coming off as being hostile. That was not my intent.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Would you let us have final approval of the published story
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

I think Gene Hoffman basically speaks for all of us when it comes to CA gun laws. Please contact him for any questions you may have.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I think things like the cap on magazine size—like in a Glock 19—create factions within the the gun community in the U.S. as a whole and create in-fighting.
Can you expand on this? To me, it reads that you're suggesting gun-owner A is upset at gun-owner B because of magazine size. I have never seen nor can I imagine such behavior, so I'm wondering if I'm mis-interpreting your words.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:

i'm not familiar with this paper. Is this the typical flavor of their publishing? I would assume it is but have never read it.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM

I do work for Monterey County Weekly. The story you all have linked was not written by me, nor by someone who works here at the paper. It was a wire story. I've never that author, nor do I think that piece is that well-written.

Thank you for posting my personal info, much appreciated. I did take it off my original message for many of the responses I have now received in this thread, but I figured it would come back up anyways...

I won't go into detail on my personal politics, but I'm familiar with guns and enjoy going to the range. I enjoy the focus needed to shoot well. There's a very calming, thoughtful process that goes into the focus, breathing and mental aspects of shooting well.

Frankly, I do think a handful of gun laws are confusing and contradictory. Like I mentioned above, CCW permits are controlled on the county level, but can be "used" on the state level. That seems backwards. Also mentioned above, if (and a big if at that...) gun restrictions do indeed help create safer communities, it seems that banning certain handguns for purely cosmetic reasons is contradictory.

What is the best contact for Mr. Hoffman?

Respectively,

Nic (as my personal info has already been posted).

P.S. - regarding reading the story prior to it being published, that is out of the question, as we don't allow that for any story, but I will be fact-checking all of my stats, numbers and quotes to ensure a properly-reported story.

Furthermore, if it helps my trustworthiness, I am an Eagle Scout, which you could also find out if you researched me.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Can you expand on this? To me, it reads that you're suggesting gun-owner A is upset at gun-owner B because of magazine size. I have never seen nor can I imagine such behavior, so I'm wondering if I'm mis-interpreting your words.
I probably mis-worded it, but it seems it would be a fairness issue for two gun owners living in different states with differences in laws. "Why I should be able to have XX here and not there."
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Are we NOT answering any questions?
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hi CalGuns,

I am an investigative reporter based in Monterey County, California and I work for a newspaper and I am working on a story on California gun laws and the CCW process in this state.

I do understand the divide between good journalism and the firearms community and that's why I am reaching out, as I want to do the most accurate story I can. Please do not spam me with loads of hate mail, etc., I’m just trying to do my job accurately. I am familiar with the firearms community disliking “the media” and I want to help bridge that gap by making a good story. I have a background in firearms and am pretty well-versed in the California penal code dealing with firearms, but I need some help.

I want to show the massive difference between gun laws in California versus the majority of the United States. I think things like the cap on magazine size—like in a Glock 19—create factions within the the gun community in the U.S. as a whole and create in-fighting. Similar with many firearms—27 by my count in 2013—than have been taken off the sold/manufacture list by the California DOJ. One gun owner I talked explained how a handful models denied in California are for purely cosmetic reasons.

For example, another gun owner I talked to was disappointed in two, what he called "unnecessary safety features", in California firearms requirements: loaded chamber indicators and magazine disconnects. His argument is that both of these features promote unsafe gun handling by making users lazier by not manually checking the chamber, etc.

2 - As a gun owner/supporter/CCW holder in California, what hinders you the most?

I have talked extensively with Monterey County Sheriff Miller on CCW stuff and his policies and chatted with Kern County Sheriff Youngblood last week. One thing Mr. Youngblood mentioned is response to my question about standardizing CCW laws through all California counties was that the Sheriff's can't ever decide on similar laws, because they make their CCW policies based on their personal opinions, even though a CCW issued in California is good for the entire state, BUT you can only get one in your county of residence.

In my research, I've found Monterey County to be the only (I'm pretty sure this right) county that requires a psychological exam in the app for a CCW. It's the same one LEO goes through for their hires and it's only in Los Gatos. Allegedly, it's pretty extensive.

3 - On the handgun registration requirement, do you think there are some people who should not be able to possess firearms? I understand the second amendment says it's a right to do so, but is there a way to create some regulations that can help curtail safer users as firearms in the hands of untrained people are unsafe. As Sheriff Miller told me, he would like more "responsible and safe gun owners" out there. Or should anyone, regardless of who they are and their background, be able to own and carry guns?

4 - One other interesting notion I have come across is that guns in pop culture are this big machismo thing. Look at gang culture, kids pretending their cool with them, etc., but much of the CCW and safe firearms handling literature and users I've spoken with state that the very last thing you want to do is draw your firearm and have to use it. Do anything you can to remove yourself from the situation other than drawing/firing your gun.

~

I will not quote anyone in this thread, but you can message me here if you would be willing to talk further, on the record or off.

Thank you,

~ N
First, Thank you for reaching out to firearms owners. I learned of Cal Guns when researching my first firearms purchase, It's all about education. You will find it here.

I have my carry permits and can carry legally in just about every state in the union except California. CCW being a State Law should be regulated by the DOJ, or other State level office NOT county by county on a Sheriff's whim.

With regard to CCW, the limit of three firearms on permit. Other CA laws that infrunge are; Magazine capacity, safe gun list, Handgun Safety Card, (fingerprinting of ammunition sales and certain guns mnot for sale, (Los Angeles).

State Law should be regulated by the DOJ, or other State level office NOT county by county on a Sheriff's whim.

Misinfornmation

3 - On the handgun registration requirement, do you think there are some people who should not be able to possess firearms?

YES, Fellons, Mentally Incapacitated, If you can not join society you should not be able to posess a firearm.

Or should anyone, regardless of who they are and their background, be able to own and carry guns?

NO, but I also think that DV & RO's shouldn't lose their right to posess.

4 - Is the machismo gun culture a hinderance to gun owners? How can it be changed?

Gun Culture is NOT the movies or TV. It's Fantasy and should be treated as such.

Firearms are not dangerous...People are. Dangerous people should NOT have access to firearms.

It can and could be changed by providing more stories where firearms have saved a life or thwarted a crime...that would be good place to start. As soon as you realize that Law Enforcement has NO Obligation to protect anyone, Warren v. District Columbia 1974, we are all responsible for our own safety, you can begin to understand where and why firearms are necessary.

In Closing, As a firearms owner I take my posession seriously and responsibly.

Thank you again for your interest.
Old 03-20-2013, 1:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My initial thoughts.

Quote:
I think this has already been answered and links posted to sites that compare. Hopefully that will help.

Quote:
A lack of facts and supports for the claims the laws will make a difference. Senator Yee in his Google Chat session completely disregarded anyone that brought up stats from the FBI as an example.

Why spend so much tax dollars to focus on rifles or so called 'assault weapons' when blunt objects like hammers and bats kill more people annually than rifles (per the FBI) year over year? They are less than 3% every year of all handgun murders. Why go after them? Because they are an easy target.

Quote:
3 - On the handgun registration requirement, do you think there are some people who should not be able to possess firearms?
I think the real question is... because recent mass murders that have brought these issues to the forefront, many of these people either stole the gun or passed the background check. So what does registration do?
Wayne LaPiere recently said that there's two reasons for registration, to take them or tax them. I agree.

Quote:
4 - One other interesting notion I have come across is that guns in pop culture are this big machismo thing.
It's societal decay.
When gang members (that are most likely already prohibited persons, not of age or taking part in illegal activities such as drug trafficking/selling) can spray bullets into a house or shoot someone because they are wearing their hat the wrong way or the wrong color, it goes way beyond the tool they use to kill.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-20-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by speedrrracer
I probably mis-worded it, but it seems it would be a fairness issue for two gun owners living in different states with differences in laws. "Why I should be able to have XX here and not there."
Then the answer is no, gun-owner A does not get upset at gun-owner B (why would he/she, it's not the gun-owner's fault), but rather at the unthinking, arbitrary nature of government C.
Old 03-20-2013, 1:13 PM

Props to the OP for coming back to respond to some of our concerns regarding impartiality and bias with your reporting and the paper you work for. I think some less than scrupulous reporters with a bias would probably have taken their drubbing and left.

To still help resolve concerns that some may have, can you post links to articles you have written in the past, whether related to firearms or not? Certainly the one I found via a 2 min search of your paper's website (while I agree was not written by you) was not comforting. Also the placement of that article in the "News" section as opposed to an "Op-ed" or "Editorial" section is disconcerting regarding the impartiality of the paper you work for.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:47 PM

Thank you for reaching out. There is a palpable bias against guns in the press in California and we need more accurate coverage of the issue especially in regards to how present firearms laws have made the community less safe for the law abiding citizen.

You are correct in having identified the arbitrary nature of a license to carry a firearm varying incoherently from county to county. We are not the only ones to notice this. The criminals have noticed this too and it has affected their behavior. Criminals know that the State Legislature and the local police and sheriff offices in the most populous counties have tipped the balance of power on the street decidedly in favor of the armed criminal.

Armed criminals, many of them hardcore gang members, know that they can beat, rob and terrorize the ordinary citizen with almost zero risk of being met with armed resistance. This has created an unnatural danger in our community yet the only response by our elected officials to throw more gasoline on the fire so to speak by offering up a new range of restrictive laws that would only affect the law abiding.

California’s 10 round magazine limit is offered as one such “sensible gun control law” yet look how that law affects the law abiding citizen like myself. Home invasion robberies involving more than one attacker are becoming more common in areas where it was once unheard of. If I am attacked in my rural home, the firearm I grab to protect myself will be limited to 10 rounds. I will not have the luxury of time or surprise on my side like my attacker will nor will I have any more ammunition than what my firearm is loaded with. The criminal home invader on the other hand, will likely have not only a 15 or more round magazine but also multiple weapons, multiple attackers and surprise on his side. Ample experience in the law enforcement community shows that it often takes multiple handgun rounds to stop an attacker. Am I safer in my home because I am forced by law to defend myself with only 10 rounds?

In your research as a journalist, you know that most states (about 40) have a procedure by which all law abiding citizens have an obtainable method in place where those who choose, can obtain a permit to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense. I hold two such permits but neither is valid in the State of California. When I carry a concealed firearm on my frequent trips outside of California, I remain the ordinary, polite, respectful and sober law abiding citizen I have always been. The only difference is that out of state, I have the ability to defend myself with equal force if attacked by an armed criminal. Once I return to California, I must disarm at the border and I am at the mercy of the criminal until and “if” the police respond. Most people do not realize that law enforcement officers in the United States have NO LEGAL DUTY to respond to my call for help. Ask those victimized during the LA riots about what it’s like to be on your own. Even here on the Central Coast, major storms and earthquakes often knock out phone/cell phone service leaving people unable to contact 911 for help.

If you would like to discuss any of this further, feel free to use the private message feature of this site to contact me. I would be willing to continue the conversation with you.
Old 03-20-2013, 3:17 PM

Thanks for reaching out...

Quote:
Hi CalGuns,
I don't mind chamber indicators - though I never rely on them.

A magazine disconnect is just a dumb idea - one more thing to go wrong when you really need the gun to go "bang", and generally forces bad handling practices - like having to put a magazine in the weapon to pull the trigger during "make safe".

The people who impose these requirements know nothing about guns or safety.

My perception is that most of them, simply want to make gun ownership as tedious and expensive as possible - to discourage people from exercising their rights. That approach worked well in UK - in less than 100 years they went from almost no gun control (and no gun crime problem), to almost no guns and UK is now one of the most violent countries in Europe.

Quote:
One thing Mr. Youngblood mentioned is response to my question about standardizing CCW laws through all California counties was that the Sheriff's can't ever decide on similar laws, because they make their CCW policies based on their personal opinions, even though a CCW issued in California is good for the entire state, BUT you can only get one in your county of residence.
Yes, the county based issuance is completely backwards from common sense. I may live in a nice safe area, but I travel all over the state.
That I'm unlikely to have need of CCW while doing my weekly shopping says nothing about the risk encountered in the rest of the state.

Quote:
Few people would claim violent fellons or the mentally ill should have firearms. The problem is the proposed solutions do not work, and the resulting registration data base is open to abuse - we've seen this here in CA and other places.

I think others have well covered the other questions.
Old 03-20-2013, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Default Being polite.

Hi Guys,

I know that there is the "temptation" to break out the "daggers" on anyone who presents themselves as a "reporter" here.

I know that the "media" has not been balanced, that being said, we have to as much as possible, take the "High Road".

As difficult as it is, we need to be willing to turn the "other cheek".

Every reporter you turn off because you just have to rub their face in the dirt means you are rubbing hundreds, perhaps thousands on non gunning owners of the public faces in the dirt also.

Do we really want to have reporters who will now make it their lives mission to get back at us every chance they get?

Last year CBS news did some gun stories and you guys flooded their e mails with some pretty nasty stuff.

I know this because I sent an e mail, however mine wasn't loaded, it was polite and respectful.

Allen Martin wrote back to me and gracious for a respectful e mail, he made comments in his e mail to me about some of the hateful e mails he received from many gun owners. This does not help us.

The bottom line is he wanted to do a follow up story and I agreed to meet with his crew for filming at Jackson Arms. As fate would have it, I was able to get hold of Gene Hoffmang and we got Gene in instead of me.

While CBS 5 isn't pro gun, at least we got our side out, Gene was presented in a fair manner and we have had good reps from our side presented since.

Journalists tend to be "liberal", that is a given. But "liberals" tend to support "civil rights" and with our shift to promote "gun rights as civil rights" we have the opportunity to start shifting the media our way.

Media is a business, ratings are everything and right now the old media is struggling to survive.

BTW, one thing that really stood out when Gene and myself were dealing with the CBS news crew was they told us how evasive police chiefs and the state attorney general were on gun related issues.

Gene had some great answers for them and their body language was WTF.

Nicki
Old 03-20-2013, 3:51 PM

Nicki, you are spot on.

I did try to suss out our OP at the start of this thread because he had a very expansive list of questions and I worry he is fishing for something sensational like the article someone else posted from his paper (that had everything in it; ruby ridge, waco, nra "funneling extremists", etc)

I would lock this thread and have Gene give his usual well reasoned response via email before some 10 post, Ammo gouging, $4,000 AR selling, joined last week, tacticool calgunner stumbles on this thread and gets quoted for posterity...

Last edited by smogcity; 03-20-2013 at 3:54 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Safe pistol rouster is one, there is also how California has restricted exposed carry. The AWB as well. California law is another world away from other states in regards to how firearms are restricted.

Discretionary issuance stands in the way of regular people carrying firearms for personal protection. Until issuing agencies are obligated to issue to every non-prohibited person upon demand, it will continue to be a government official picking and chosing who is worthy to excersize a fundemental liberty. Imagine having to consult the county seat in order to publish a story... same thing.

Anyone eligible to purchase a firearm should also be able to carry it. Should felons be able to own and carry? If they paid their debt to society- absolutely... If they were so dangerous as not to be trusted with a firearm again, why would they be freed?...

Gang culture, pop culture and gun culture are completely seperate concepts- by deliberately avoiding the deliniation of the three, you are exposing your media bias. You will find that responsible gun ownership is for adults who know the consequences of their actions have lasting effects... those in the gun culture- men, women, and their children, are serious and focused to that end. Whatever this 'machinsmo gun culture' you mention is, is anathema to their ideals.

~ N
Response in blue....

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-20-2013, 4:43 PM

Sorry for the lack of replies, I've been a bit swamped today on assignment, but I am trying to respond to everyone.

@CitaDel

"Gang culture, pop culture and gun culture are completely seperate concepts- by deliberately avoiding the deliniation of the three, you are exposing your media bias.

I'm not saying the three are connected. My point is that for the uninformed they are connected.

"You will find that responsible gun ownership is for adults who know the consequences of their actions have lasting effects... those in the gun culture- men, women, and their children, are serious and focused to that end. Whatever this 'machinsmo gun culture' you mention is, is anathema to their ideals."

Exactly. I'm wondering how, if at all, that negative stereotypes of the gun culture can be changed. It's the whole perception versus reality thing. I'm friends with many of gun owners and they're safe, responsible, contributing members of society, but how does this model of citizen replace the "whacko, right-wing gun nut" mentality many people have?
Old 03-20-2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
My initial thoughts.
Why spend so much tax dollars to focus on rifles or so called 'assault weapons' when blunt objects like hammers and bats kill more people annually than rifles (per the FBI) year over year? They are less than 3% every year of all handgun murders. Why go after them? Because they are an easy target.

I think the real question is... because recent mass murders that have brought these issues to the forefront, many of these people either stole the gun or passed the background check. So what does registration do?
Wayne LaPiere recently said that there's two reasons for registration, to take them or tax them. I agree.
How does society fix the target against gun? I agree that if an individual is hell-bent on causing terror they will, regardless of the means.

What laws can be put in place to help gun owners have access, but also keep unsafe users from owning guns?
Old 03-20-2013, 4:50 PM

Also, here's a long list of my work at the Weekly:

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...?q=nic%20coury
Old 03-20-2013, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
How does society fix the target against gun? I agree that if an individual is hell-bent on causing terror they will, regardless of the means.

What laws can be put in place to help gun owners have access, but also keep unsafe users from owning guns?
We already have them and they aren't enforced.

Example from 2010: the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS), 6 million Americans who applied to buy a gun. Less than 2 percent -- or 76,000 were denied (they failed the background check). Of those 76k, ATF referred 4,732 cases for prosecution. Which the end result was 44 prosecuted, and only 13 were punished for lying or buying a gun illegally.

We have tens of thousands of firearms laws on the books. We do not, according to VP Biden, have time or resources to enforce them.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-20-2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, if it helps my trustworthiness, I am an Eagle Scout, which you could also find out if you researched me.
Serial killer Richard Angelo was a former Eagle Scout. So was Mormon missionary and serial killer Arthur Gary Bishop