Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-24-2013, 8:55 PM

Default Is the panic beginning to subside?

Went into Turners West Covina this afternoon just to check something. Small number of customers, I pulled number 33 and had to wait all of 1 minute for service. Then checked on the ammo. Much more in stock then about 10 days ago, though some calibers were not available. Prices still holding, a good sign. I did not take a long look, just a quick glance and the supply of handguns on display seemed to be close to normal.

Maybe the insanity is leaving!
Old 01-24-2013, 9:06 PM

Its the "assault rifles" and .223 ammo everybodys after.

WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721
Old 01-24-2013, 9:09 PM

the "panic" is not dying down, supply is just slowly catching up to demand.
Old 01-24-2013, 9:19 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Its hard to panic buy when theres nothing left in the store! My nearest shop was bare-bones, nearly empty cases and ammo (what there was) was rather high $.
Old 01-24-2013, 9:28 PM

probably when everyone runs out of money. but... my guess is when the government votes on an new laws and people know what's going to change. once people know if the guns the want will be around, they won't be in a rush to buy them anymore. or... if they get banned... then it's moot. Can't buy what you want.
Old 01-24-2013, 9:33 PM

I don't think the panic itself is over, but I think everybody who was concerned has already purchased absolutely everything they felt they needed and probably more than they could afford. Prices on GunBroker are coming down... things like basic ARs and lowers and PMAGs and such are coming back closer to normal. I don't think it's because the panic itself is over -- people are still hoarding their stuff and afraid of impending bans -- but they simply already have everything they could afford (and more).

What I'm interested to see is what will happen to the market if no new restrictions pass through Congress. What do all of these people do with all of the crap they stocked up on that they don't really need and couldn't really afford? The dude with 5 stripped lowers and 30 PMAGS and 4 bone stock M&P 15's or whatever... can he afford to have all of that money tied up in all of those things? It made sense when they were going to be banned forever and you could only have what you already owned. But.... now that he's looking at things that he paid 2x or 4x the normal price for and there's $10,000 tied up in that stuff? PLUS... inventory will come back in stores. In a big way, because people stocked up like crazy and nobody will be buying this stuff for a while because they already own so freakin' much of it. Now stores are selling it all on the cheap because they're having a hard time moving inventory. In order for the guy in my little made up scenario to get some money back, he's going to have to discount it good.

So... will we see a glut of stuff and super low prices in a couple months? I think if nothing happens, that'll be a "yes." Supply will exceed demand.

BTW -- I did see certain things shoot up suddenly. For instance, Kel-Tec Sub2000's. I don't think people expected that to really be in an assault weapons ban, being pistol caliber and no real evil black rifle military features. Well... it was explicitly named in Feinstein's bill. Prices SHOT up instantly. They're selling for over a grand on GB now. Why? Because it *might* be your LAST opportunity to EVER own one. That possibility, no matter how remote you think it might be, just drove the price up big-freakin'-time. AR's we all knew about, and everyone who wanted one already has it.

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JeremyS; 01-24-2013 at 9:35 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

SHOT show is over, so the manufacturers are back at work.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Resident Pork Rind Expert
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Everyone is waiting for their 30 days to run out.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM

I think most people max out their credit and out of cash.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Suppliers and retailers are out of stock, people are out of money and credit. Now supply and demand are in equilibrium again
Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 PM

I wish it was over.
i was just at turners in San Diego and there were no opistols on their shelves other than 22's.
Also, I keep hearing about primers not to be found anywhere.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

I don't go out of my way to find 'ammo and supplies, yet I'm starting to see stuff online and at Wal*Mart again, with average to about-normal prices. Let's see what the next few weeks are like...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Probably not...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM

Everyone in the industry was at SHOT Show. Once production catches up to demand, prices should come back down. The marketplace is just flooded with used ARs right now, and even in the last couple of weeks, prices have slowly decreased.

I definitely picked the wrong month to try to buy a subcompact. Just two months ago, the used market had subcompacts all over the place. Now it's just packed with ARs.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I hope so; I really need some upper parts.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Distributors are working overtime to supply gun stores that are working overtime. Some are catching up. I still see about a 30% increase in basics and a 100% increase in AR parts; LPKs are $130 bucks; 69 bucks in November last year. Lowers are still up to 3 bills around here and higher on Gunbroker.

I did get two emails from Palmetto and Midway that my orders are on the way; good news..!

I don't think a ban or mag law will pass. I expect these problems with supplies to pass in time as people realize we can keep our hobby and 2nd Rights.

One surprise are Glock pistols that are back ordered 600,000.

Stag is quoting 2 years. Glock OD pistols on Gunbroker are listed at 1000 to 1200 bucks....arrrrg...

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

Last edited by Oceanbob; 01-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: sopetjk
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

I hope quality control does not go out the window with such a great demand.
Old 01-25-2013, 6:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If powder and primers are anything to go by I would say not quite yet.
Old 01-25-2013, 8:27 AM

Wow, 600K backorder for Glocks. Unbelievable.
Funny thing is I got a G17 a month or so before the rush, just because I wanted a G17. Lucky timing I guess.

Turners at Pasadena still has pretty empty shelves for handguns and their rifle shelf is about only thinly covered with shotguns and bolt actions. No AR types. They say that they have guns coming into the warehouse and they are getting shipped out for customer pick ups for those that ordered them instead of the showroom for displays, so they seem to be trying to catch up on the pending orders and then will re stock the shelves. Don't know how long that will take though.

Now days, it seems more like folks are picking up guns rather than purchasing them at least from what I see when I stop by. I for one sure hope this panic buying is dying down. Maybe in a few months, we'll see great deal on used guns. Who knows.

Last edited by Tee Why; 01-25-2013 at 8:29 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Its hard to panic buy when theres nothing left in the store! My nearest shop was bare-bones, nearly empty cases and ammo (what there was) was rather high $.
Exactly, only things left seems like 22LR Rifles & 12Ga. Shotguns.
P-85 Ruger MKII, Glock 17-29-32-20-21SF, M9A1 Beretta, SA/XD 40 Ported, SA/XD 45ACP 5" Tactical, 2-Bushmaster XM15 E2S, 1-Armalite AR10A2, 2-RRA OLL, 1-Stag OLL, 5-JD Machine Tech OLL, KRISS Vector 45ACP CRB, Stoeger’s Double Defense Shotgun 12ga, Saiga 12ga Tactical Shotgun IZ-SL433A, Remington 870 12ga 18" Barrel.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
I don't think the panic itself is over, but I think everybody who was concerned has already purchased absolutely everything they felt they needed and probably more than they could afford. Prices on GunBroker are coming down... things like basic ARs and lowers and PMAGs and such are coming back closer to normal. I don't think it's because the panic itself is over -- people are still hoarding their stuff and afraid of impending bans -- but they simply already have everything they could afford (and more).

What I'm interested to see is what will happen to the market if no new restrictions pass through Congress. What do all of these people do with all of the crap they stocked up on that they don't really need and couldn't really afford? The dude with 5 stripped lowers and 30 PMAGS and 4 bone stock M&P 15's or whatever... can he afford to have all of that money tied up in all of those things? It made sense when they were going to be banned forever and you could only have what you already owned. But.... now that he's looking at things that he paid 2x or 4x the normal price for and there's $10,000 tied up in that stuff? PLUS... inventory will come back in stores. In a big way, because people stocked up like crazy and nobody will be buying this stuff for a while because they already own so freakin' much of it. Now stores are selling it all on the cheap because they're having a hard time moving inventory. In order for the guy in my little made up scenario to get some money back, he's going to have to discount it good.

So... will we see a glut of stuff and super low prices in a couple months? I think if nothing happens, that'll be a "yes." Supply will exceed demand.

BTW -- I did see certain things shoot up suddenly. For instance, Kel-Tec Sub2000's. I don't think people expected that to really be in an assault weapons ban, being pistol caliber and no real evil black rifle military features. Well... it was explicitly named in Feinstein's bill. Prices SHOT up instantly. They're selling for over a grand on GB now. Why? Because it *might* be your LAST opportunity to EVER own one. That possibility, no matter how remote you think it might be, just drove the price up big-freakin'-time. AR's we all knew about, and everyone who wanted one already has it.
What you've outlined is exactly why I didn't, and won't, pay $2,500 for a $1,300 gun. I seriously doubt Feinstein's bill even makes it out of the Senate. Pro-gun state democrats aren't going to stick their neck out and something that will be DOA in the House. And even if a broad over-reaching bill did get out of Congress the Supreme Court looks much different and the case law much more favorable to gun rights than in 1994.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Why View Post
Wow, 600K backorder for Glocks. Unbelievable.
Funny thing is I got a G17 a month or so before the rush, just because I wanted a G17. Lucky timing I guess.
I started purchasing all of the firearms I have wanted over the years starting in November, 2011. I purchased the parts for my AR15 in May 2012, and then purchase a CMMG LR308 stripped lower in August. I ordered a FAR 308 Liberator complete upper in September and it arrived in November. Lucky timing indeed.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

not yet, still nuts
Old 01-25-2013, 1:00 PM

No. Give it another year. With all of the crap being spewed by Old Joe, Old Dianne, et al., they'll keep everyone on both sides whipped into a frenzy until a; another crises comes along or b; Congress fails/passes the gun control bills.

The liberals will do/say anything to grab the guns; including making you a criminal in the process.

The rule of thumb now is: If you really need it then buy it; forget about what it used to cost. If prices do come down later, then chalk up the extra money you paid to experience for not having planned ahead. It only takes one panic to make a believer out of most people.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

History repeats . Why do people wait untill there are shortages and panics to buy. The smart people stock up when there is an abundance and the prices are low [ kind of biblical when you think about it]. I can't feel sorry for those without. No excuse for the newbies as the websites go back far enough for those with critical and logic thinking to learn. You can pretty much go without shooting.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
Everyone in the industry was at SHOT Show. Once production catches up to demand, prices should come back down. The marketplace is just flooded with used ARs right now, and even in the last couple of weeks, prices have slowly decreased.
Uh - you're probably one of those people walking around saying how things will pick back up cause the economy is getting better.

Don't know what planet you're living on, but I don't see the marketplace "flooded" with ARs, and if you listened to what the manufacturers are saying, its "1 year backlog" and "not taking new orders". So you're saying that in a year from now, once production catches up thats when prices will drop?

Also - prices are decreasing? I just sold 2 complete poly lowers last weekend for almost $1000.00 - how's that for prices dropping - 10 times what I paid for them two months ago.

Wishful thinking is just that...

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 01-25-2013 at 3:31 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 3:22 PM

Panic subsides when i can find ammo at lwalmart and cheap 12 ga shotguns. Dad made me jealous last night... bought a remington 870 from a buddy of his for 100 bucks.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:10 PM

Maybe the LGS are less busy because there is nothing left to buy? lol Last time I was at Turners there was barely anything left even in the hand gun cases. The ammo table was empty, except for a few boxes of 38, and 22 shorts. I've been shopping around for my next purchase, and everyone is out of stock on everything.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:16 PM

This high demand can not keep up for long.
Once demand slides and supply keeps up, prices will come down.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I don't go out of my way to find 'ammo and supplies, yet I'm starting to see stuff online and at Wal*Mart again, with average to about-normal prices.
I do go out of the way to buy ammo, and I am not seeing it. What online sources did you find that have ammo at these prices in stock?

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
I do go out of the way to buy ammo, and I am not seeing it. What online sources did you find that have ammo at these prices in stock?
Palmetto state armory had some 5.56, 9mm and .45ACP the other day, at prices I didn't see as being too inflated. I was only able to afford a few boxes of each. Yes, they we were gone by the middle of the day, but they had it in stock. At my local Wal*Mart they had dozens of boxes of .45ACP and 9mm; sure, they were gone the next day but at least the 'ammo was there and in what I believed to be a decent quantity-the prices were right IMO, @ .40 cents a round for .45ACP and about .25 cents a round for 9mm.

I will say that all of this was BEFORE Feinstein took another giant s**t all over us on Thursday. AFAIK everything is up in the air again...
Old 01-25-2013, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I don't think a ban or mag law will pass. I expect these problems with supplies to pass in time as people realize we can keep our hobby and 2nd Rights.
We may be able to beat the Federal bans, but I wouldn't put it past the state to adopt all provisions. Just like when the Federal ban expired and California kept it. But now that the Dem's have revealed their true agenda, it will drive demand for the forseeable future. Because out of fear the public will understandably expect the ban wagon to appear again soon. And their buying will reflect that fear.

I suspect prices will remain high for years to come.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 01-25-2013, 4:51 PM

Pmags at riflegear,
556/under .50 cents
Wolf back to 4.99/20
30 rounders at copes...

Ya all the panic buyers over spent, and all the above recent examples and more demonstrate that many recent purchases were based on emotion.
Recent panic buyers now not buying as much along with those already prepped, meanwhile manufacturing catches up, prices drop as orders slow-supply increases.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
Went into Turners West Covina this afternoon just to check something. Small number of customers, I pulled number 33 and had to wait all of 1 minute for service. Then checked on the ammo. Much more in stock then about 10 days ago, though some calibers were not available. Prices still holding, a good sign. I did not take a long look, just a quick glance and the supply of handguns on display seemed to be close to normal.

I was at Turners in Chino Hills yesterday and it was picked clean. Not much in ammo, and very few handguns to chose from. There was mostly bolt action rifles and shotguns in the guncase. I passed by the Rancho store two weeks ago, pretty much the same story.

I will have take a look at the Covina store next time I'm in the area.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM

I was at the range the other day and a random person from 3 stalls away offered me 1200 for my gen 4 glock. I was floored. Just a stock FDE glock 19. People are desperate.

primers are not to be found anywhere local.

I am lucky to just have happened to buy a few 1000 of each of the primers I use, I have maybe 3-5 lbs of powder and I have a huge stockpile of brass

I can still find powder that will work even though it may not be my first preference.

12 gauge target and hunting ammo is plentiful but slugs and buck are hard to come by.

I was lucky to buy a lot in november and december, a shotgun, the above said glock, primers and powder. But I am currently on my second week of my wait for the order of projectiles I ordered. To me this is my marker for the panic buy, when next day shipping is a reality again.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
Must be. .223 on the WTS is down to $.60 a round...

One guy will even throw in a free stripped lower with ammo purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM

Proforce in Brea emailed me back a few days ago and said they still had Glock 26's in stock (didn't ask about anything else). GlockStore in San Diego still had glocks in their case last week too...had 6 Glock 21's in stock.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Lol... I have been using my ammo and gun money to purchase clothes instead.
Can't find ammo and guns I want so I bought some 5.11 pants and shorts.
Old 01-26-2013, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There was good reason for the ill prepared and underarmed to panic before the Marxist in office laid out his plans for disarmament. Now, not so much, since those same panic buyers think that the House will be able to stop the march of the Statists toward their American Evolution toward a progessive-Marxist utopia.

Students of Marxism and statism know different, and understand the concept of two steps forward, one step back.

Stock bullets, beans and band-aides!
Old 01-27-2013, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I think there is more to worry about than going shooting. pay attention to what the government is doing to us.