Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Modesto Police Department CCW info

I'm working through the Stanislaus Co. Sheriff's Office for my CCW as they're known to issue for good causes such as "Personal and family defence". However, I also know that Stan. Co. system has been offline for some time:
Quote:
In an effort to streamline our online appointment process, our online scheduling system will be off line until August 19th, 2013. We are not scheduling any appointments for a new ccw at this time. Our goal is to rebuild the scheduler and expedite the appointment process. We will be calling current appointment holders and may move appointments up in time.
In wanting to make sure I have 100% accurate information about myself for my CCW application, I was contacting the Modesto Police Department's Records. While I was talking with them, I asked what MPD's Chief of Police Galen Carroll policy was for issuing CCWs (there is absolutely nothing on the CoM's MPD website). The officer did not know, but directed me to call 209-572-9519 for Leticia Waters and request CCW information from her.

The prior MPD Chief of Police, Roy Wasden, was not known to issue CCWs. There were 34 active CCWs issued by MPD in Jan, 2003, and from 71 in 2009 to 55 in 2011 (with 13 new applicants in 2009 and only 5 new applicants in 2011.

I've left a VM for Ms. Waters to find out about MPD's CCW requirements and policies. I'll post here once I hear.

I'm also tempted in a future request to get a list of current CCW holders, their statements for good cause, etc., just to see if the policy matches the practice (I really don't have any reason to doubt it doesn't). It just would be nice if MPD recognized that there is a huge backlog with Stan. Co., and if MPD would issue for all non-prohibited residents of the city, like Stan. Co. does (as we're just going to get the permits through them anyway). I guess it could also be a cost-savings thing. If you only issue ~50 CCWs per year, one staff member can handle that along with all of the person's other duties, vs. Stan. Co., which probably has the equivalent of a dedicated person (or two now) handing CCW appointments/requests.

Last edited by Jason95357; 08-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: typo fixes, added more stats
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here is the Stanislaus county good cause link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352812

It's county not city if Modesto, though. Still, it might help!

I survived the great CG of 2015
Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Here is the Stanislaus county good cause link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352812

It's county not city if Modesto, though. Still, it might help!
You're right, but the Stan. Co. has a 1+ year backlog It'd be nice for City residence to have a faster option. The forum link you reference has a link broken 404 link to a PDF doc that is no longer available.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Default MPD Policy - no personal protection for Good Cause

I received a VM call back from Leticia. I'm actually glad I wasn't available to take the call as I have a recording of it, so I could transcribe it all:

Quote:
Hi _______. This is Leticia with Modesto PD. I'm returning your call regarding obtaining a CCW.

You do have to have a Good Cause to get one from the City of Modesto. So like, if you're a business owner carrying either large sums of money or valuables and there's a threat to your life because of that and you can get one or if your business owner with really odd business hours and also have that threat of harm or if you have your family member, yourself, or a spouse that had threats against their life then you could of course get one, but you do have to have a Good Cause. Just personal protection is not enough to qualify for a CCW through the city.

The fee for it, if you do qualify, is $100, that's for a two-year CCW. If you have any further questions, you can give me a call back at 572-9519 or if you think you meet one of the Good Causes you can come up and pick up an application here at the Modesto Police Department upstairs in the second floor in the Investigations Division. And our office is open Monday through Thursday from 8 to 5 or Friday 8 to 4:30. Once again, my phone number is, 572-9519 if you have further questions. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I received a VM call back from Leticia. I'm actually glad I wasn't available to take the call as I have a recording of it, so I could transcribe it all:
Thanks for the info
Old 09-22-2013, 3:03 AM

What about a theft conviction.?

In 1978, Three weeks after my 18 birthday , I was convicted of theft /shop lifting at a Kmart. Long Story ( no jail, $200 fine )

Clean since then. That was 36 years ago. I wonder if anyone else with a misdemeanor. Has anybody in Stanislaus Co been denied a ccw permit based on such a long ago conviction.?

Im getting older now and work in a very seedy area. Would like to get a CCW permit.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

Jeff

Jeff
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Wrong thread - I'd ask on the Stanislaus CCW thread, not this Modesto PD thread.

Quick answer: I'd apply anyway, but be totally honest about what occurred and how you've matured since then, etc. I've got my own dirt, not as far back in my past as yours (I was a wee babe then), and I plan to disclose all of it. My CalDOJ criminal records shows clean, but I'm betting things will still show up.