Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Default With Sky High Ammo $$$ What's the shooting range scene?

Hey guys,

I haven't been to the range in a while. Planning on going today (only 50-100 rnds in 9mm, 100 in 22lr) Normally, I shoot 3X that. Question: how often are you all going to the range these days? And have you figured out how to make your ammo last longer? I'm sure some one here has been creative!

Ammo is either non-existing, or sky high. A case of 22lr was sold for $1000 on gunbroker, that's brick of 22lr for 100! Not going shooting would conserve ammo & money, what's the other route?

I figured take less ammo and make every shot count.

Last edited by .40Cal; 01-29-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Going once or twice a month. Shooting the exact same as you are, just a little .22 LR. Sitting on 9mm mostly, might shoot a tiny bit of it, not shooting any 5.56 or .45 ACP, have a decent stash of 7.62x54R so I am shooting that for outdoor shooting. Might shoot a little .30-06 as soon as my CMP order arrives. Okay on shotgun ammo, might go and shoot some trap.

With ammo prices so ridiculous and availability so poor, it just doesn't seem smart to go out and shoot through a large swath of my stash.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM

I haven't seen much of a change. Some days are super busy, some days are slower....just like before the panic. I haven't adjusted the amount I shoot per visit. Never really been one to think I needed tens of thousands of rounds on hand, and still don't feel the need. I have quite a bit (relative statement there, I know) of all types that I routinely shoot, but my stock is dwindling. I'm gambling on prices going back down and stock becoming available again before I run out. If I do run out, then I'll start buying at going rates I guess.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM

At field time target range in Stanton last Friday it was very busy with people shooting. When I go I use their reload ammo it's cheap and it is good quality at least I have had zero problems in my guns. As far as trying to make the ammo last longer I've really tried to focus on pulling the trigger properly and two good things have happened I can now hit the broad side of a barn and the shooting session lasts a little longer.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Airsoft. All my live fire training has been temporarily replaced with airsoft for the meantime. Much cheaper plus I can do it in my own home/garage/backyard. When prices start coming back down to normal, then I'll expend my live rounds.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM

i had such a huge stock pile of ammo before the craze, i still shoot once or twice a week, as much as i want. i'm figuring the prices will drop sooner or later. plus i reload so i'm shooting off my reloads and stock pile. Going to keep about 1k of each caliber i own in the safe, but the rest is flying down range.

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM

I used to go 2-4 a Month before the scare, now once every month if I am lucky.

I am slapping myself in the face for only picking up a few bricks of Federal for 17.98$ each at my LGS when they had them in stock during the panic. I should bought them by the cases.

My new 22/45 eats up 2 bricks minimum each outing.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM

DGM Santee (our nearest indoor...) has been swamped the last couple times I went out there. Lotta shooters...shootin'!

End of 2012, and initial plan for 2013 was once a week to the range on a weekday, now it is every other week and more dry fire at home.

Probably going to more matches and less static range 'practice' for a while.

More 22 practice with the 15-22 and old MkI is planned. Next pistol purchase will be another 22. We have some crazy mega quantity in stock from over the years, so no worries on current stupid 22 ammo prices.

"Less ammo and make every shot count" is excellent imo.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, before the craze started, someone mentioned that Dunns had .22lr Federal on sale, so I bought a case of it (5250 rounds). Then I wanted to try Federal automatch 22, so I bought 4 boxes of it (2000?) Then I was at Big 5 buying a scope and the manager gave me a discount and then mentioned that their Winchester M-22 was on sale, so I bought a box (555) of it to return the favor of the discount. Plus previously, I had about 8 boxes of various .22lr.

So for .22lr, I'm good for ammo and I always take my 22/45 to the range to warm up.

Then I have hundreds of 9mm because I had loaded them up for USPSA matches, and I have components for maybe another 4000 rounds.

As for .45 ACP, well, I don't have any loaded rounds, but I have enough brass and primers for a couple thousand rounds, plus enough lead and molds to make bullets for them.

When my .40 S&W mold eventually shows up, I'll have, or can make, enough for maybe, I dunno several hundred .40 S&W rounds, to supplement the several boxes of .40 that I bought just to have ammo for my new-to-me Glock 35.

Then there is .223, for which I only have about 800 rounds, but I have the components to reload those all up after retrieving the shot brass.

However, I have almost no .30-06 and no .308. There is ammo available, but I'm not willing to pay for it. So I'm waiting on brass to become available.

So will this panic affect my range trips? Nah!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM

I'm having a hard time feeding my firearms. 22LR is gone except for the birdshot stuff. I have cut WAY back...only shot my handguns twice in the last 6 months, only shot my rifles once in the same time frame. Luckily I have a single shot 22 so I'm still using the same brick I bought a year ago when I got the gun. But I'm definitely suffering from withdrawals
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM

My wife and I are new shooters. We bought our guns before the Sandy Hook shooting. Ammo prices were decent so we bought a couple thousand rounds knowing we would want to practice and that with two of us shooting we would go through twice as much. We shoot about a hundred rounds each per session, taking our time and working on the basics. Our stash is dwindling, not sure what we're going to do when we run out. Pay the price I guess.
We go to the USI range in Concord. We get there when they open at 9:00. By 10:00 the place is packed(Sat & Sun).
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Range reload ammo hasn't gone up yet, at least at the ranges I go to. So I just buy that. They have it. And it's not that much more expensive than retail at this point (assuming you can find any).

Aside from that, I've just been shooting more 22lr. It's fun, more quiet, and less tiring anyway, which makes for more mellow range trips, especially to an indoor range.

Aside from THAT, everyone i know that shoots a lot, reloads.

Last edited by Iknownot; 01-29-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 1:04 PM

Before the craze I used to go to the range once a week and shoot 150 rnds of .40, and 300 rnds of 9mm. I used to go to the rifle range once a month and shoot 150 5.56, 40 .308 and 400 or 500 .22lr. Now, I go to the range twice a month, shoot 200 22lr. A few hangun calibers (50-100) and that's it.
Old 01-29-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
My wife and I are new shooters. We bought our guns before the Sandy Hook shooting. Ammo prices were decent so we bought a couple thousand rounds knowing we would want to practice and that with two of us shooting we would go through twice as much. We shoot about a hundred rounds each per session, taking our time and working on the basics. Our stash is dwindling, not sure what we're going to do when we run out. Pay the price I guess.
We go to the USI range in Concord. We get there when they open at 9:00. By 10:00 the place is packed(Sat & Sun).
Good for you. That should pay off not only in making your ammo last longer, but in building your skills.

For a long time I, too, have only shot about 100 rounds per session and concentrated on skills. So the ammo shortage hasn't hit me hard yet.
Old 01-29-2013, 1:26 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have not much of a change....if anything, they seem busier than ever.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 01-29-2013, 1:56 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I have cut way back on making Youtube videos where I bumpfire my drum fed AR and AK until they catch on fire.
Old 01-29-2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I have cut way back on making Youtube videos where I bumpfire my drum fed AR and AK until they catch on fire.
Are you running out of ammo or AR/AK?
Old 01-29-2013, 2:56 PM

I go about two times a month if I'm lucky I have a good amount of 9mm and well as 22lr ... I just go threw about 50-75 rounds of 9mm each trip and for 22 I go about 200 rounds or until I get tired
Old 01-29-2013, 3:11 PM

I'm about to buy a BB gun until this dies down a bit. My trigger finger can only be pleased by my cameras for so long! Of course wither CA bills in the system, it might take a little longer than I'd like.
Old 01-29-2013, 3:25 PM

only 2 or 3 mags for the 9mm and 40SW, and the rest of the day with the 22lr
Old 01-29-2013, 3:26 PM

oh, and a pellet gun and BB rifle.
Old 01-29-2013, 3:42 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Really the main thing holding me back from shooting more is the possibility of the DeLeon stupidity coming to pass. If it weren't for that, I would be shooting a lot more because I would know that I could just buy more overpriced ammo. But with the Deleon bill, if it passes, it is going to change everything for all of us who live in this state in ways I don't think many people understand.

Having to essentially ask the DOJ permission each time I want to buy ammo from a local vendor who will be charging whatever the market will bear, because there will be no more Internet ammo sales, makes me want to just shoot very minimally and conserve what I have stashed.

If Deleon's bill bombs and is somehow not passed by Moonbeam, then the Appleseed, the training classes and practice will resume for me. If it passes, I will be shooting the same as I am now, just very occasionally.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:06 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

I just made 200 rounds of 45 for about $20 so I am not worried. I was in your shoes in 09 though and that motivated me to buy a reloading setup. Earlier this year I bought enough primers and powder to last me about 4-5 years at least so I am not at the mercy of the market. There us a great sticky in the reloading section that helped me out figure out what to get. For everyone that says they don't have the room, I mounted a press to a board and clamped it to a desk when I first started.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Reloading supplies, then the reloading gear are next on my shopping list for the reasons you suggest. Going to start with 9mm, 9x18 Mak and .45 ACP will be first, then as soon as I learn what I am doing, .30-06, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 are up.

As mentioned above, I am divesting myself of .223/5.56 guns and ammo, even brass and projectiles are stupid expensive for this caliber.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:31 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Reloading supplies, then the reloading gear are next on my shopping list for the reasons you suggest. Going to start with 9mm, 9x18 Mak and .45 ACP will be first, then as soon as I learn what I am doing, .30-06, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 are up.

As mentioned above, I am divesting myself of .223/5.56 guns and ammo, even brass and projectiles are stupid expensive for this caliber.
Whenever you get ready to start you can always ask for help in the reloading section and you will get good advice from some seasoned reloaders. Reloading supplies will go back down eventually for .223/5.56 and you should be able to find brass for $50/1000 again but it will take time. You can easily reload 55gr rounds for .20/round and 77gr for about .35/round but right now the components are hard to find and hit by the panic.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
I just made 200 rounds of 45 for about $20 so I am not worried. I was in your shoes in 09 though and that motivated me to buy a reloading setup. Earlier this year I bought enough primers and powder to last me about 4-5 years at least so I am not at the mercy of the market. There us a great sticky in the reloading section that helped me out figure out what to get. For everyone that says they don't have the room, I mounted a press to a board and clamped it to a desk when I first started.
I'm assuming you just unclamp it when you are done? I'm thinking about getting into reloading at this rate, although I guess I'll have to wait for the furor to die down to find supplies.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:43 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc736 View Post
I'm assuming you just unclamp it when you are done? I'm thinking about getting into reloading at this rate, although I guess I'll have to wait for the furor to die down to find supplies.
Yeah you can just unclamp it and put it away in a closet.
Old 01-29-2013, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

I've been to the range a couple of times this year and it's been about normal given weather, time of day, etc. etc.

Personally I'll probably shift some shooting from some calibers to others. Luckily I have a good supply of .22 so I'll probably go to shooting that for the bulk of any range trip and then switch to something larger for a much smaller number of rounds at the end.
Old 01-29-2013, 6:59 PM

Arrow ...streched the legs on the rifle range at USI

on Sunday afternoon....that place was packed!!!

Glad to see everyone out having a good time...can only imagine at today's prices how much was shot....it's an expensive cheap thirll....and I gotta get my thrills at least once a month.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:30 PM

The last 2 Saturdays that I've been to Reeds in Santa Clara, they've been swamped with people. I almost didn't go in since the parking lot was packed! But, a lot of people were there for a pistol training class (excellent class for first time shooters by the way. Given by Bill Tidwell. Super nice guy). And there was a line of people to buy/pick up pistols/rifles etc.

The range wasn't that crowded when I went. In fact, out of 10 lanes on my side, there were about 4 lanes that were open. But, by the time I finished up, they had a waiting list for the range. I guess I got there at the right time both times.

As far as shooting goes, I will shoot about 100 22 and really, really, really take my time. I usually dry fire a bit to warm up before I take any shots. Then, I'll start in on the live fire. But now, I'll take a shot or two, pull the target in and see where I put them. I'll take a picture or two. I'll even take notes-distance, 1st shot, 2nd shot, caliber, pistol etc. With the other guns, 1911 & SP2022 (.45 and 9 mm respectively), I'll shoot a few here and there in between the 22. My last trip, I only shot 25 .45 and zero 9mm (wife's gun-so it stayed home).

So, yeah, long way of saying-it sucks! But it HAS forced me to practice and SLOW-DOWN!!!
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-29-2013, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
The last 2 Saturdays that I've been to Reeds in Santa Clara, they've been swamped with people. I almost didn't go in since the parking lot was packed! But, a lot of people were there for a pistol training class (excellent class for first time shooters by the way. Given by Bill Tidwell. Super nice guy). And there was a line of people to buy/pick up pistols/rifles etc.

The range wasn't that crowded when I went. In fact, out of 10 lanes on my side, there were about 4 lanes that were open. But, by the time I finished up, they had a waiting list for the range. I guess I got there at the right time both times.

As far as shooting goes, I will shoot about 100 22 and really, really, really take my time. I usually dry fire a bit to warm up before I take any shots. Then, I'll start in on the live fire. But now, I'll take a shot or two, pull the target in and see where I put them. I'll take a picture or two. I'll even take notes-distance, 1st shot, 2nd shot, caliber, pistol etc. With the other guns, 1911 & SP2022 (.45 and 9 mm respectively), I'll shoot a few here and there in between the 22. My last trip, I only shot 25 .45 and zero 9mm (wife's gun-so it stayed home).

So, yeah, long way of saying-it sucks! But it HAS forced me to practice and SLOW-DOWN!!!
All the stuff you listed is smart. We don't have 'ammo to burn right now, so you're making the most out of each shot, while learning about how you're shooting as the rounds fly down-range. I'm going to try shooting a couple of rounds, then pulling the target in to see how things are proceeding cold. We gotta' make it count...and last!
Old 01-29-2013, 8:05 PM

I haven't noticed a huge increase in the stuff that I shoot. The ranges are a bit quieter these days....kinda nice.
Old 01-29-2013, 8:37 PM

The last time I went shooting was September 2011. Lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just shot over the weekend : 100 rnds of 38, 100 rnds of 45 and 200 rnds of .22LR. I have over 2,000 rnds of .22LR left, will be loading up antoher 160 rounds of .45 - that'll be the end of my supply of cast 230RND. I do have enough .223 to last the summer ( 8lbs. of H322 and 1500 bullets and primers).

I should be out of handgun type powders very soon. I've been waiting 3 weeks now for Midway to eventually ship me 8 lbs. of AA-#5, and will have to think about where to get 5,000 9mm bullets. I've got more than enough brass and primers for 9mm.

Like 4 years ago, I'm patient. Things got better towards the end of the summer of 2008 so I'm hoping that'll be the case this year (and when it starts looking normal again, boy will I stock up!)
Beretta 92FS | SA 1911 Loaded | S&W M&P15-22 | TC .44 Bull Barrel | Colt LE6920CMP-B | S&W 627-5 PC | S&W M&P 9 | Mossberg 500 | Rem 700 VSF | Benelli Montefeltro 12GA | CZ455 Varmint HB | Ruger 10/22 50th Anniv. | SigSauer P220 Combat
Old 01-29-2013, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by appagohm View Post
...plus i reload so i'm shooting off my reloads and stock pile.
Same.
I'm also looking to move soon, so that will help a bit.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 01-29-2013, 9:09 PM

Stopped by Reeds in San Jose today around 2pm. Ammo still being sold for range use only, they still dont know when they will be selling again. Range was surprisingly empty only 1 person shooting, maybe everyones at work. should have brought my 1911 for a couple shots.....
Old 01-29-2013, 9:17 PM

Timing is everything and I got really lucky before all the hoopla. I only bought my first handgun in July last year and burned through several thousand rounds in < 6 months; but I was lucky enough to attend the Crossroads gun show at the cow Palace in Nov and bought a couple of cases of 9mm reloads. I still am going through that ammo now, but since I bought my 1911 (purchased in December 4 days before Newtown incident) I found I just don't go through as much 9mm. Having multiple calibers just means I shoot less of one caliber since I like to shoot both guns when I'm at the range every other week.

With all the craziness it has forced me to find alternative means to get ammo so I have a few backup suppliers I can go to if I need a fix.

If the craziness does continue for the next couple of months I expect I'll just be shooting a whole lotta trap this year....no shortage or over pricing for that kind of ammo.
Ruger 10/22
Sig 1911-22
Old 01-29-2013, 9:18 PM

I was at Angeles yesterday and it was dead all day. But it was a windy cold Monday so that could have something to do with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
All the stuff you listed is smart. We don't have 'ammo to burn right now, so you're making the most out of each shot, while learning about how you're shooting as the rounds fly down-range. I'm going to try shooting a couple of rounds, then pulling the target in to see how things are proceeding cold. We gotta' make it count...and last!
Thanks! But, it's all stuff I've learned from the Calguns forum!

Even back during last summer, when I first started getting into shooting, people were saying to stock up, to make sure you have enough on hand, to practice with a 22, to shoot slow & practice...But, I didn't listen until it hit me in the pocket book! Ugh.
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-29-2013, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks! But, it's all stuff I've learned from the Calguns forum!

Even back during last summer, when I first started getting into shooting, people were saying to stock up, to make sure you have enough on hand, to practice with a 22, to shoot slow & practice...But, I didn't listen until it hit me in the pocket book! Ugh.
I didn't start 'till last September. I started to stock up but I didn't have much of a head-start, what with the election just weeks later. I've learned my lesson though. Once/when this blows over I'll be stocking plenty...