Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2016, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation Organize to push conservative SD Co. city PDs to issue CCWs

Justice Scalia died. NYSRPA has decided not to ask for cert, but to drop their appeal: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172377

The odds are we're going to lose the Peruta en banc appeal. Who knows who is going to win the presidency, much less fill Scalia's seat.

Going off of Wiki entries, SD county has some conservative cities
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...ration_by_city). Why don't you SD folk organize to push those cities to get their Chiefs of Police to issue CCWs???

From 1 hour of online research, the conservative cities (and their approx. pop.) in SD Co are: San Marcos (90k), Escondido (150k), Carlsbad (115k), Oceanside (175k), Coronado (25k), Santee (55k), Poway (50k), El Cajon (105k), and Vista (95k).

Searching for each of those cities' PDs, San Marcos, Santee, Poway, and Vista all contract with the SDSO, so skip them.

Thus leaving Coronado (25k), Escondido (150k), Carlsbad (115k), Oceanside (175k), and El Cajon (105k): 570,000 residents waiting to be liberated!

If chiefs of those PDs have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the sheriff to not issue CCWs, the chief can terminate that MOU and choose to exercise his authority under state law to issue CCWs. The chief also gets to decide what passes for sufficient Good Cause (GC). If you read the Opening Posts of the counties with Alert symbols at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=116 you will see that several of them on their SO's websites plainly state they accept "self-defense" as sufficient GC.

In LA County:

Torrance PD recently started issuing CCWs:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1170826

West Covina folks are actively engaging the city council members to push the chief to liberalize issuance:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1166812
https://www.facebook.com/CCW4WESTCOVINA/

Glendora folks are also organizing:
https://www.facebook.com/Glendorans-...4722669483246/

Even little La Verne is starting to organize:
https://www.facebook.com/laVerneCCW

Will San Diego Co. gunnies in "conservative" cities stand up, organize and fight to get CCWs? Are you "doers" or just "posters"?

"If you're a Muslim, you slaughter Infidels: it's what you do."

Moderate Muslims will hold you down so the Radicals can cut your head off.

210+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2016 at 8:23 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 4:38 PM

SDPD lady chief is an anti. No hope in this city. There may be a chance in El Cajon though.
Old 03-05-2016, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjpresby View Post
SDPD lady chief is an anti. No hope in this city.
That's why I did not list San Diego city: I listed only SD Co. cities where a majority of the registered voters are Repubs on the assumption those cities, city councils and mayors would be more open to liberalizing CCW issuance.

Old 03-05-2016, 5:29 PM

There's two avenues to take with that. One, the chief of police directly, two the city council can order him to start issuing. I kinda think if there was a chief of police with enough backbone it would of been done already.
Old 03-05-2016, 5:54 PM
In Memoriam

The county sheriff is the only one allowed to issue.
That's why the maps shows counties and not cities.
The sheriff will never give away that power.
you can buy one with a big donation to honorary deputy sheriffs association.
Old 03-05-2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguy View Post
How much?!

“We are subject to the men who rule over us, but subject only in the Lord. If they command anything against him, let us not pay the least regard to it.” Book Four, Calvin’s Institutes

“We must obey God rather than men." Peter and the Apostles
Old 03-05-2016, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is incorrect. Any "chief law enforcement officer" (CLEO) in CA can issue a CA CCW.

Many cities are not incorporated, and thus do not have their own PDs, and thus do not have a Chief of Police (CoP), but rather are under the sheriff.

Many incorporated cities choose to contract with their county's sheriff for LE services, and thus do not have a CoP.

In many incorporated cities that do have their own PDs and their own CoPs, the CoP has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), where they delegate all of their authority for issuing CCWs to their county's sheriff. (They can also rescind the MOU whenever they choose and get back into the business of issuing CCWs.)

The CoPs of the remaining incorporated cities can issue CA CCWs.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2016 at 3:00 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 9:16 PM
In Memoriam

Okay, how many CCW's do you know about that any city in San Diego county has issued.

My deputy friend says NONE.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Okay, how many CCW's do you know about that any city in San Diego county has issued.

Issued under what? Self defense or GC?
Old 03-06-2016, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Now that we're on the same page re. who has authority to issue CCWs in SD county, we next have to address the issue of which CLEOs are actually issuing CCWs in SD county.

Acc. to the most recent CGF survey of CA CCWs (2013 Dec.), your friend is almost correct: only La Mesa PD issued a CCW and it was for a judge.

Now, we are point of this thread. As I said in the OP, we are most likely going to lose Peruta and we expect that decision in this month or next. Even when Scalia was alive, Thomas' dissents in Jackson and Friedman showed that SCOTUS did not want to visit the 2nd A. Now that Scalia is gone, we're even less likely to get relief from SCOTUS unless and until a Repub Pres fills the Scalia seat and at least 1 more. IOW, at best, we won't win a Right to Bear Arms for at least 2 years.

Thus, SD county residents in "conservative" incorporated cities with their own PDs (where there are more Repub than Dem registered voters), have the best chances of getting their CoPs (either directly or by using their city councils to pressure or replace the CoP), to start issuing city PD CCWs for "self-defense." I did the research for you guys and I listed those cities in the OP (after eliminating "contract" cities). I also provided you links to threads/FB pages of gunnies doing this very thing in LA county so you can follow their lead, and share "lessons learned" with each other to improve your odds.

A CoP can rescind any MOU he has with the SD sheriff on his own. A CoP decides what standard he'll accept as adequate GC for a CCW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeL View Post
Issued under what? Self defense or GC?
GC stands for "Good Cause," the justification the applicant provides for being issued a CCW.

We want CLEOs to accept SD = GC (i.e., we want them to accept a mere statement of "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause for being issued a CA CCW).

It will be interesting to see how many CGNers in SD county are "doers" and not just "posters."

Last edited by Paladin; 03-06-2016 at 8:53 AM..
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

The hero of Ruby Ridge, SDSD chief Bill Gore controls every issuance of CCW here in San Diego County. It all goes through his office and no one except his friends gets one here.

It's all decided by one man, that man. Nothing will change here until he is gone.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
The hero of Ruby Ridge, SDSD chief Bill Gore controls every issuance of CCW here in San Diego County. It all goes through his office and no one except his friends gets one here.

It's all decided by one man, that man. Nothing will change here until he is gone.
That's just an excuse to DO NOTHING!

Nothing will change as long as SD county gunnies DO NOTHING!

The sheriff has NO LEGAL AUTHORITY over the "chief law enforcement officer" of an incorporated city, the Chief of Police, UNLESS the Chief gives it to the sheriff.

City PD CCW apps only go thru Gore because those CoPs choose to do that. GET ACTIVE and push those CoPs and the mayors/city councils they work for to push for accepting self-defense as sufficient Good Cause.

Torrance PD is now issuing CCWs. Do you really think that is because LA Sheriff McDonnell wants them to??? As I wrote in the OP, West Covina, Glendora, and La Verne are all now fighting to get CCWs. The question is whether any CGNers in the conservative cities in SD county are willing to fight?

"Winners never quit and quitters never win." The only thing worse than a quitter is someone who doesn't even try: CGNers who want to sit back and gripe but do nothing, CGNers who are not willing to fight for their RKBA.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-06-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 03-06-2016, 12:47 PM

I'm with you on this Paladin, and I appreciate your passion when it doesn't really appear you have a horse in this race. Maybe San Diego County Gun Owners can chime in and give their thoughts. Hopefully everybody here is already involved and active with that group. I know this issue was brought up at the last meeting but I don't to misquote anybody.
Old 03-06-2016, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nothing will change here until he is gone.
Why do you believe things will improve when Gore is gone? Why waste years, and continue to be unarmed, based on that assumption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspicy View Post
I'm with you on this Paladin, and I appreciate your passion when it doesn't really appear you have a horse in this race.
Nope. The time & effort I've put into this thread and the one for LA county are of no benefit to me: I'm trying to help you guys initiate a push so you can carry.

Why? I've recently updated my thread, linked in my sig line, re. CCWers saving lives. I want more law-abiding folk be able to defend themselves against the BGs. For every incident I add to that thread, I know there are lots of similar cases occurring in CA, but the victim was unarmed because of May Issue CLEOs.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2016 at 8:29 PM..
Old 03-06-2016, 1:17 PM
In Memoriam

Things will not change when Gore is gone. They will put another anti in his place.
Been watching San Diego politics for well over 50 years. It is a "good ole boys" network that runs things.
Old 03-06-2016, 2:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not the Sheriff's choice to give up the power to issue LTCs to city residents. That power belongs to the city Chief of Police. He can opt to issue any time that he wishes and the sheriff has no say in the decision. Ask Santa Barbara County Sheriff Brown, he *****ed and moaned about the City of Lompoc issuing their residents LTCs but he could do nothing to stop it.

I would be glad to help with information/experience for anyone who wants to work with city governments to try to get local LTC procedures in place.

I worked for 5+ years with the politicians in the City of Lompoc to get their LTC policy in place and it is the first city in Santa Barbara County to go to self issue.
Old 03-06-2016, 7:24 PM
In Memoriam

The city of Lompoc and Santa Barbara county are way more conservative then San Diego county.
There was time when San Diego was very conservative but those days are gone.
The real money and power resides in La Jolla which is mostly a Democrat bastion.
A COP in San Diego may have the right to issue but down here, you just don't cross ole "Ruby Ridge".
Old 03-06-2016, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The city of Lompoc and Santa Barbara county are way more conservative then San Diego county.
The real money and power resides in La Jolla which is mostly a Democrat bastion.
A COP in San Diego may have the right to issue but down here, you just don't cross ole "Ruby Ridge".
It does NOT matter how liberal SD county is when you're pushing for reform at the city level and you choose conservative cities.

Per the Wiki link in the OP for just the first 3 cities I listed: Coronado registered voters are 47.3% Repub vs 24.5% Dem. Escondido is 42.4% Repub vs 28.3% Dem. Carlsbad is 42% vs 28%. Coronado (pop. 25,000), Escondido (pop. 150,000) and Carlsbad (pop. 115,000), are the prime targets ("low hanging fruit") in SD Co. That should be an easy 290,000 people to liberate.

Torrance, in LA Co, which just switched to issuing CCWs is "liberal": 37.1% Dem to 35.5% Repub (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...r_registration)

West Covina, who's city council is now pushing their CoP to issue CCWs is even more liberal: 46.7% Dem to 25.9% Repub.

I just picked Repub majority cities in the OP because their city council members are probably Repub (and thus more likely to already agree), and more voters in the city are Repub (thus making it more likely they'll agree and get active to fight for CCWs).

But just because a city may be Dem majority does not mean fighting there is futile.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2016 at 8:31 PM..
Old 03-06-2016, 8:18 PM

I like the idea and I think this would be a great project for San Diego County Gun Owners PAC.
Old 03-07-2016, 8:06 AM

CCW's are an important issue to us and we feel that it is one, among others, of our rights that is currently being trampled upon. We speak about how we are going about restoring this right at every meeting and are focusing on ways to help get San Diego gun owners their right to carry. This issue is going to take a lot of work, starting with getting people elected who are pro2a and moving onward until not another anti gun politician gets elected in this county ever again. We can't do all this without the support of the shooting community so come down and check us out at our next meeting or event and join us
Old 03-07-2016, 8:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
What?

You were making sense up until this post. Though La Jolla is a wealthy community, it is not the only one in San Diego.

My father has a CCW and it was issued in San Diego County in 2008. Oh, and he doesn't live in La Jolla.
Old 03-07-2016, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Some of those cities, like Santee do not have their own police Dept. They contract the Sheriffs Dept to provide police services for their city.....so they're stuck in the same boat as the rest of us living under the Gore's thumb.

There are quite a few cities that contract the Sheriffs Dept actually. Poway also contracts the SO, as does Vista if I'm not mistaken.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

Last edited by Untamed1972; 03-07-2016 at 9:18 AM..
Old 03-07-2016, 9:18 AM

So here's what happened a few years ago. La Mesa city council were going to vote to make their police issue ccw's, we had the votes. Word got out on calguns and every bible-thumping hillbilly in the county came to the hearing and spoke in support. They looked and sounded like nutjobs, they scared the council, and we lost the vote.

We have professionals working on this, and the more members we can tell a councilman we represent, the better, so the best way to help is join us in a united front. If you have the time to dig around online, what also helps are articles like the one in the oc register about how Hutchens praises the new ccw standards.

If you're interested in getting involved in this fight, join us at the next meeting: www.sdcgo.org
Old 03-07-2016, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Some of those cities, like Santee do not have their own police Dept. They contract the Sheriffs Dept to provide police services for their city.....so they're stuck in the same boat as the rest of us living under the Gore's thumb.

There are quite a few cities that contract the Sheriffs Dept actually. Poway also contracts the SO, as does Vista if I'm not mistaken.
I guess you overlooked this in the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Searching for each of those cities' PDs, San Marcos, Santee, Poway, and Vista all contract with the SDSO, so skip them.

Thus leaving Coronado (25k), Escondido (150k), Carlsbad (115k), Oceanside (175k), and El Cajon (105k): 570,000 residents waiting to be liberated!

Old 03-07-2016, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
So here's what happened a few years ago. La Mesa city council were going to vote to make their police issue ccw's, we had the votes. Word got out on calguns and every bible-thumping hillbilly in the county came to the hearing and spoke in support. They looked and sounded like nutjobs, they scared the council, and we lost the vote.
If council members are scared of their constituents, it is time to replace those council members....

Quote:
We have professionals working on this, and the more members we can tell a councilman we represent, the better, so the best way to help is join us in a united front. If you have the time to dig around online, what also helps are articles like the one in the oc register about how Hutchens praises the new ccw standards.

If you're interested in getting involved in this fight, join us at the next meeting: www.sdcgo.org
If your group has not had any successes yet, going by the Repub vs Dem stats I posted above, Coronado, Escondido and Carlsbad look like they should be "easy wins" for getting the CoPs to liberally issue CCWs. (Assuming Repubs are generally pro-RKBA while Dems are generally anti.)

Quote:
Per the Wiki link in the OP for just the first 3 cities I listed: Coronado registered voters are 47.3% Repub vs 24.5% Dem. Escondido is 42.4% Repub vs 28.3% Dem. Carlsbad is 42% vs 28%. Coronado (pop. 25,000), Escondido (pop. 150,000) and Carlsbad (pop. 115,000), are the prime targets ("low hanging fruit") in SD Co. That should be an easy 290,000 people to liberate.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2016 at 9:32 AM..
Old 03-07-2016, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I guess you overlooked this in the OP:
Yup.....guess so.

And it's a same about Poway......there are prolly more shooting ranges and gun stores packed into Poway by square mile than any other part of the county.

Poway would prolly be an easy flip if they had their own PD.

Of those cities left I'd say El Cajon and Escondido are prolly your best bets, Coronado MAYBE simply because its a small city with ALOT of wealthy residents.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 03-07-2016, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Gore controls issuance until he is retired or replaced. That should not be that long. We are always supporting CCW friendly candidiates here.

In SD it works like this: An anti gets in. He promises his actions will make everyone safer so he gets support. When he is to be replaced, a similar candidiate is usually appointed first to replace them, then elected. Once the local media buys into the "he will keep us safer" crap, they are a shoe-in and all incumbents are re-elected here due to the corruption of the political machine.

Very few people in San Diego give a rat's @ss about CCW permits. That's why we will probably never get them here. They are far more concerned about the Chargers staying.
Old 03-07-2016, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Gore controls issuance until he is retired or replaced. That should not be that long. We are always supporting CCW friendly candidiates here.

In SD it works like this: An anti gets in. He promises his actions will make everyone safer so he gets support. When he is to be replaced, a similar candidiate is usually appointed first to replace them, then elected. Once the local media buys into the "he will keep us safer" crap, they are a shoe-in and all incumbents are re-elected here due to the corruption of the political machine.

Very few people in San Diego give a rat's @ss about CCW permits. That's why we will probably never get them here. They are far more concerned about the Chargers staying.
Nailed it. Even my gun owning friends and family don't care about CCW. Hell, I can't even get them to call to oppose the bills they are forcing down our throats. It's really sad.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

If Gore retires mid-term and an interim Sheriff is appointed by the BoS, I think then our focus needs to be swinging the county BoS to appoint an Interim Sheriff who will get things changed. Many of the BoS were supportive of Gore not pursuing an appeal in Peruta.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why do you keep lying??? Gore does NOT control whether an incorporated city's chief issues CCWs. We've gone over this several times in this thread. Are you just trolling? Or are you an anti spreading FUD?

Quote:
1st off, you do NOT say whether you're talking about SD county or SD city when you write "SD."

2nd off, this thread is NOT about SD county or SD city.

Again, why do you keep taking this thread Off Topic???

Quote:
Again: this thread is NOT about SD county or SD city.

TO ALL POSTERS IN THIS THREAD: There is an old saying, "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way." If you are only here to discourage others, to undermine activists, save your time and do not post. If you are not willing to lead or follow, please get out of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjosh View Post
Nailed it. Even my gun owning friends and family don't care about CCW. Hell, I can't even get them to call to oppose the bills they are forcing down our throats. It's really sad.
desertjosh, if you are not like your "gun owning friends and family," you should look into following the advice given in the quotes below.

Here are examples of people leading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD County Gun Owners PAC View Post
CCW's are an important issue to us and we feel that it is one, among others, of our rights that is currently being trampled upon. We speak about how we are going about restoring this right at every meeting and are focusing on ways to help get San Diego gun owners their right to carry. This issue is going to take a lot of work, starting with getting people elected who are pro2a and moving onward until not another anti gun politician gets elected in this county ever again. We can't do all this without the support of the shooting community so come down and check us out at our next meeting or event and join us
Quote:

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
If Gore retires mid-term and an interim Sheriff is appointed by the BoS, I think then our focus needs to be swinging the county BoS to appoint an Interim Sheriff who will get things changed. Many of the BoS were supportive of Gore not pursuing an appeal in Peruta.
Again: this thread is NOT about SD county's government or sheriff. It is about getting SD county's conservative cities' PDs to issue CCWs. Please STOP TAKING THIS THREAD OFF TOPIC!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Again: this thread is NOT about SD county's government or sheriff. It is about getting SD county's conservative cities' PDs to issue CCWs. Please STOP TAKING THIS THREAD OFF TOPIC!
Holy turd balls! Do people actually read the thread?

Paladin, thanks for getting all the facts in order. If only we can rally the pro2A supporters in the CONSERVATIVE CITIES within San Diego county do actively do something, we might find the shadow of progress. People don't want to fight an uphill battle and would rather let other people do the footwork just to reap the benefits. I'm slightly guilty myself with work, kids, school it's not easy to commit time and/or money to support CCW within my city. I try when I can.
Old 03-07-2016, 1:24 PM

Every San Diego county gun owner PAC meeting I have been to has talked about this issue and how they are going about initiating change, my suggestion is to go check them out. Like most guys here, ccw is an important issue to me and is why I give organizations like SDCGO my time and money.

We can't have a " we are already defeated and things will never change" attitude on this or any 2a issue, together as a community we are bigger than the antis would like us to think.
Old 03-07-2016, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well, I don't live in any of those cities so I guess I'm out. But I am a member of San Diego County Gun Owners PAC, I live in SD....it's been my home ground for nearly 40yrs so, I prolly know a lot more about it than you do.

But if you don't want local input on your discussion, then have a good day!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2016, 4:21 PM
In Memoriam

If it was that simple I'm sure some one would have had one of those the above mentioned city's CoP issue them a CCW.

Paladin, I've lived here a long time and have been involved in gun issues here in San Diego County.

You really know the theory of the issue, just not the local application.

We have a lot of folks working on many fronts trying our best to change things but if you look around this country you should see things have changed.
We the people have been put aside and replaced with the power and force of government.
Why did the government buy 26 Billion rounds of hollow point ammo?
Old 03-07-2016, 4:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

"We have met the enemy and he is us"

For city governments interested in establishing their own LTC policies;

A little research by the City of Lompoc's staff revealed that a change or issuance of a city policy did not require public comment or public reading since it was not a new city ordinance being enacted, just the implementation of an existing state procedure.
Old 03-07-2016, 7:28 PM

Yea. I'm in the city of SD so the unified issuing cities wouldn't help.
If it was that easy I would drive to an issuing county.
We need to make the denial of rights a public issue. We should have been screaming for our rights to self preservation after the San Berdo attack.

The only way to sway public opinion is in the court of public opinion.
Old 03-08-2016, 7:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If it was that simple I'm sure some one would have had one of those the above mentioned city's CoP issue them a CCW.

Paladin, I've lived here a long time and have been involved in gun issues here in San Diego County.

We have a lot of folks working on many fronts trying our best to change things but if you look around this country you should see things have changed.
We the people have been put aside and replaced with the power and force of government.
Why did the government buy 26 Billion rounds of hollow point ammo?
The stickler for a city PD is codified into the law. If they issue to even ONE person in their city, they must accept applications from all city residents. So they can't issue a hand full to their buddies but also claim they don't accept applications.

But Paladin is correct, it is a simple matter of a policy change for a city PD to make they choice to issue. The Sheriff has no legal authority to prevent them from doing so.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2016, 7:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
We need to make the denial of rights a public issue. We should have been screaming for our rights to self preservation after the San Berdo attack.

The only way to sway public opinion is in the court of public opinion
Yep, I agree with this.

Thx for the inspiration, Bluesman. I've turned my reply into a thread in the California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism forum here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=17804957

Old 03-08-2016, 7:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What you may not realize is how close CLEOs stay to one another. CoPs may want to stay on better terms with their sheriff than their own residents because they may wish to get the sheriffs endorsement for running for sheriff when s/he resigns (or a letter of recommendation for some other sheriff's or CoP position) vs. residents to whom the CoP does not answer: CoPs answer to the city council and/or mayor.

IIRC, in San Mateo County, every month the CoPs of the county all get together and have a meeting, to coordinate, stay "on the same page". Every month each of those CoPs has a meeting with the county's sheriff. CLEOs are "joined at the hip." They suffer from serious "peer pressure" and "group think." Plus, there are state and national chiefs of police and sheriffs associations where they all network and want to "go along to get along". CLEOs care about advancing their careers (paying mortgages, kids' college, vacations, etc.), and not about whether the "serfs" get to carry to defend their own and families' lives.

Quote:

When you've got a city w/a PD and CoP that has 2x as many Repubs as Dems (Coronado) (again, assuming most Repubs are pro and most Dems are anti), that "fruit" is over-ripe for the picking. When you've got 2 major cities with 50% more Repubs than Dems (Escondido and Carlsbad), those are more than ripe too. Time to make those CoPs "feel the [political] heat" so that they "see the light" of issuing CCWs for SD = GC.

As Jeb Bush and the Repub "establishment" found out (by wasting $150M), money and "power"/influence is no substitute for voters, esp motivated political activists.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2016 at 2:59 PM..