Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2017, 4:32 PM

Default Bullet Button assault rifles, what you need to know

Check out our video, big thanks to Empowered firearms in Vista and please like us on facebook and come to a meeting to see how you can help protect your gun rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_o0...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by SD County Gun Owners PAC; 01-31-2017 at 4:36 PM..
Old 01-31-2017, 4:53 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Youtube vid not working.

EDIT: Apparently working now.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 02-01-2017 at 6:45 AM..
Old 01-31-2017, 7:31 PM

worked for me.
Old 01-31-2017, 7:39 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Aaaaaaaargh! (LOL)

Thanks for putting this video together.
Old 01-31-2017, 8:24 PM

The gal in video stated aw's must be transported in locked hard sided case. Can you cite that as that is not what I was able to find on the CA OAG website under transporting AW's
---------
REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 30945, subdivision (g) provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:10 PM

Mesa Defense:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD County Gun Owners PAC View Post
The text in the post above yours is the text from the link you provided having to do with AW. Doesn't say anything about a hard case.

California Penal Code section 30945, subdivision (g) provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

Last edited by trailtundra; 01-31-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
The gal in video stated aw's must be transported in locked hard sided case. Can you cite that as that is not what I was able to find on the CA OAG website under transporting AW's
---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtundra View Post
The text in the post above yours is the text from the link you provided having to do with AW. Doesn't say anything about a hard case.

The CPC 16850 no longer says what you both listed. The change is that they removed reference to "the trunk of a motor vehicle". I do, of course, realize you are both quoting the same source (CA DOJ) but the text below is the actual PC as written. SOURCE

Quote:

As used in this part, “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
(Amended by Stats. 2014, Ch. 103, Sec. 5. Effective January 1, 2015.)
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-01-2017, 4:09 PM

good video thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
The CPC 16850 no longer says what you both listed. The change is that they removed reference to "the trunk of a motor vehicle". I do, of course, realize you are both quoting the same source (CA DOJ) but the text below is the actual PC as written. SOURCE

Good clarification.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 AM

OK, so the trunk is out. But still no requirement for hard sided case.....
Old 02-03-2017, 2:06 PM

You can transport a firearm in an enclosed trunk. It is a locked container.

Chick Michel, Jason Davis, John Dillon, Bruce Colodny, and Don Kilmer are all attorneys who specialize in California firearms law. Each have stated that the definition of secure container that is fully enclosed means a hard-side case.
Remember this only applies to pistols (hand guns) and those firearms meet the definition in California of an Assault Weapon (registered yet or not).
Old 02-03-2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
You can transport a firearm in an enclosed trunk. It is a locked container.

Chick Michel, Jason Davis, John Dillon, Bruce Colodny, and Don Kilmer are all attorneys who specialize in California firearms law. Each have stated that the definition of secure container that is fully enclosed means a hard-side case.
Remember this only applies to pistols (hand guns) and those firearms meet the definition in California of an Assault Weapon (registered yet or not).

Its always great to restate what others have stated. And I don't doubt that they recommend it.

However, its clear now that a hard case being required as stated in the video above is simply not what is written in law.

Thanks for making the video....
Old 02-03-2017, 5:54 PM

What is written is Penal Code 16850 is:
"As used in this part, “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle."

So how do you define a "secure" container that is "fully enclosed"? Their research and opinion is that the State defines that as a container that has hard sides. A soft sided case is not secure or fully enclosed.
So to avoid committing a felony and having to pay an attorney tens of thousands of dollars, it is required for you to transport a pistol (handgun), Registered Assault Weapon, and/or Bullet Button firearms (even if it has not been registered as an Assault Weapon yet or will never be registered as an Assault Weapon) in a hard sided case.
We were not making a video on what was written in the law. Anyone can look up the text and read it. We made a video on what is required by the law because is the hard part.
Some would read the text of the law and not understand that the State means a hard sided case. But transporting it in a soft sided case would put that person at risk for being arrested for a felony.
Old 02-03-2017, 6:18 PM

Soft cases ARE fully enclosed and have locks
Old 02-03-2017, 6:32 PM

UclaPeon44, I agree with you.
But the state of California does not appear to agree with you. That is why we included that in the video. To avoid people from getting arrested, jailed, etc.

Anyway...this is the last I will comment on it. The best advice from the most knowledgeable, experienced, and engaged people is to use a hard sided case.
Following their simple advice to avoid a felony, jail time, firearm confiscation, lose of rights, and having to pay tens of thousands of dollars in fees, penalties....it's totally up to you.

If you do get arrested, have a good attorney ready to go. I doubt the ones I mentioned before will take the case since they've all publicly said the State wants you to use a hard sided case. That would ruin the case for them.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UclaPeon44 View Post
I agree. Anything else is just fear inducing.

Hard sided, soft sided, all it says is fully enclosed and locked.
Old 02-03-2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
But the state of California does not appear to agree with you. That is why we included that in the video. To avoid people from getting arrested, jailed, etc.

Anyway...this is the last I will comment on it. The best advice from the most knowledgeable, experienced, and engaged people is to use a hard sided case.
Following their simple advice to avoid a felony, jail time, firearm confiscation, lose of rights, and having to pay tens of thousands of dollars in fees, penalties....it's totally up to you.

If you do get arrested, have a good attorney ready to go. I doubt the ones I mentioned before will take the case since they've all publicly said the State wants you to use a hard sided case. That would ruin the case for them.

Good luck.

Thanks for your contribution friend . I know that your trying to help others. Much respect and thanks for that. Sincerely.

Im merely looking for facts. To make my own decisions. Not conjecture, opinion, or FUD. After viewing your video, I researched your statements and found them not to be supported by law, so I asked politely for the cite. Its clear there is no cite to support your position. Thats all.

We all know my opinion and your opinion don't really matter. It doesn't matter what my buddy said the best gun attorney said.

Last edited by Mesa Defense; 02-03-2017 at 8:27 PM..
Old 02-03-2017, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What is written is Penal Code 16850 is:
"As used in this part, “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle."

So how do you define a "secure" container that is "fully enclosed"? Their research and opinion is that the State defines that as a container that has hard sides. A soft sided case is not secure or fully enclosed.
So to avoid committing a felony and having to pay an attorney tens of thousands of dollars, it is required for you to transport a pistol (handgun), Registered Assault Weapon, and/or Bullet Button firearms (even if it has not been registered as an Assault Weapon yet or will never be registered as an Assault Weapon) in a hard sided case.
We were not making a video on what was written in the law. Anyone can look up the text and read it. We made a video on what is required by the law because is the hard part.
Some would read the text of the law and not understand that the State means a hard sided case. But transporting it in a soft sided case would put that person at risk for being arrested for a felony.
No, you are making a video of what YOU interpret the law to be. The state of California does NOT require a "hard sided case", just a secure case. There are plenty of soft cases which are more secure than some "hard sided cases". So, the video is not presenting hard facts. Instead it is presenting your OPINION. That's fine if you state that but, if you insist that your opinion of the law is the law, you're deceiving people and it only goes to show your level of ethics. I'm not saying that a hard case (not just one with hard sides) isn't acceptable or even a good idea but, your opinion that soft cases are not "secure" is just that, an opinion.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 02-03-2017, 8:40 PM

So the safest action to take in CA to avoid trouble is to leave all firearms in a locked safe in the home or sell them.
Then you no longer have to live in fear of breaking an unknown law.
<disclaimer of intended sarcasm>

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 11:21 PM

I'll try to explain from a different angle. First, this was an informational video. Not a recital of Penal Code. If you do not want any explaination on the exact letter of the law, why are you watching an informational video? Just read the Penal Code.

Second, you are making the assumption that the State cares about your interpretation of their written laws are. They do not. So is a soft-sided case legal for transporting pistols, Registered Assault Weapons, or Bullet Button firearms?
The Penal Code doesn't mention soft-sided cases and our video doesn't say soft-sided cases are not allowed. So there seems to be a difference of opinion there and it is certainly not crystal clear.
In researching the script we found that the experts made a point of saying "hard-sided" cases.
So everyone agrees...you, me, lawyers, etc...that transporting an Assault Weapon in a hard-sided case is legal. Right? Nobody believes that it is against the law or outside the letter or spirit of the law to transport an Assault Weapon in a hard-sided case.
However, many see transporting in a soft-sided case as being less definite when it comes to complying with CA law.
We can't cover every nuance and give every variable or describe every angle of every situation in a short video. Rather than try, we include what we know to be true (or as close to "know" as we can humanly get). And what we know, you know, experts know is a hard-sided case complies. Nobody has a question about that at all.

Our attorney agrees this is the best information. Other experts agree it is the best information. Other firearms lawyers publish the same information. Everyone is welcome to go read the Penal Code and disregard expert input, but I'm confident that the vast majority of people who are watching a 3 minute video to find out how to comply are not interested in reading Penal Code.
This video is giving people the best information to use. And "use" is the key word. It's not meant to turn viewers into a legal experts or test cases. It's meant to help them stay out of jail and confrontations with law enforcement.
We don't sell hard-sided cases and the expert lawyers we read would make more money by defending you than telling you how to comply. We are all just trying to give everyone the very best chance they have during a horrible time in gun law history.
So share the video with fellow shooters. The problem we face isn't that not enough people aren't trying soft-sided cases. It's that the laws are too confusing and people aren't getting enough guidance so they stay out of gun law bear traps.
The rest of the discussion is little more than the gun world's version of who's better: Capt. Kirk or Capt. Picard.
Old 02-04-2017, 5:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'll try to explain from a different angle. First, this was an informational video. Not a recital of Penal Code. If you do not want any explaination on the exact letter of the law, why are you watching an informational video? Just read the Penal Code.

Second, you are making the assumption that the State cares about your interpretation of their written laws are. They do not. So is a soft-sided case legal for transporting pistols, Registered Assault Weapons, or Bullet Button firearms?
The Penal Code doesn't mention soft-sided cases and our video doesn't say soft-sided cases are not allowed. So there seems to be a difference of opinion there and it is certainly not crystal clear.
In researching the script we found that the experts made a point of saying "hard-sided" cases.
So everyone agrees...you, me, lawyers, etc...that transporting an Assault Weapon in a hard-sided case is legal. Right? Nobody believes that it is against the law or outside the letter or spirit of the law to transport an Assault Weapon in a hard-sided case.
However, many see transporting in a soft-sided case as being less definite when it comes to complying with CA law.
We can't cover every nuance and give every variable or describe every angle of every situation in a short video. Rather than try, we include what we know to be true (or as close to "know" as we can humanly get). And what we know, you know, experts know is a hard-sided case complies. Nobody has a question about that at all.

Our attorney agrees this is the best information. Other experts agree it is the best information. Other firearms lawyers publish the same information. Everyone is welcome to go read the Penal Code and disregard expert input, but I'm confident that the vast majority of people who are watching a 3 minute video to find out how to comply are not interested in reading Penal Code.
This video is giving people the best information to use. And "use" is the key word. It's not meant to turn viewers into a legal experts or test cases. It's meant to help them stay out of jail and confrontations with law enforcement.
We don't sell hard-sided cases and the expert lawyers we read would make more money by defending you than telling you how to comply. We are all just trying to give everyone the very best chance they have during a horrible time in gun law history.
So share the video with fellow shooters. The problem we face isn't that not enough people aren't trying soft-sided cases. It's that the laws are too confusing and people aren't getting enough guidance so they stay out of gun law bear traps.
The rest of the discussion is little more than the gun world's version of who's better: Capt. Kirk or Capt. Picard.
I'll try to explain this from a different angle. First, your "informational" video is presenting information in a way in which it is alluding to there being some law to support the "information" when, there is only opinions to support your claims.

Second, you are making the assumption that the State cares about your interpretation of their written laws are. They do not. They will make their own interpretation of the law and it might or might not support your claims. The FACT is that you have zero case law to support your opinion and yet your video suggests that you do.

It doesn't make a difference what your opinion, your attorney's opinion or my opinion is. The fact is that there are highly respected firearms attorneys who can argue either side. Just because it might be prudent to suggest that a hard sided case is used, it doesn't mean that it is illegal to use a non hard sided case.

In the end, a good "informational video" will state what is fact and what is opinion. In this case, I will continue to look at the facts to base my opinion on. The big fact is that no one can cite a case where the rigidity of a firearm case has been an issue let alone the courts have ruled that only hard sided (maybe hard sided and soft bottomed?) cases are legal for transport. I'm sorry but there are far too many people who choose to transport in soft sided cases in CA. They have been doing so for decades without incident even when confronted by LEOs. So, where is your proof that your opinion is based on anything other than speculation?

Old 02-04-2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I'll try to explain this from a different angle. First, your "informational" video is presenting information in a way in which it is alluding to there being some law to support the "information" when, there is only opinions to support your claims.

Second, you are making the assumption that the State cares about your interpretation of their written laws are. They do not. They will make their own interpretation of the law and it might or might not support your claims. The FACT is that you have zero case law to support your opinion and yet your video suggests that you do.

It doesn't make a difference what your opinion, your attorney's opinion or my opinion is. The fact is that there are highly respected firearms attorneys who can argue either side. Just because it might be prudent to suggest that a hard sided case is used, it doesn't mean that it is illegal to use a non hard sided case.

In the end, a good "informational video" will state what is fact and what is opinion. In this case, I will continue to look at the facts to base my opinion on. The big fact is that no one can cite a case where the rigidity of a firearm case has been an issue let alone the courts have ruled that only hard sided (maybe hard sided and soft bottomed?) cases are legal for transport. I'm sorry but there are far too many people who choose to transport in soft sided cases in CA. They have been doing so for decades without incident even when confronted by LEOs. So, where is your proof that your opinion is based on anything other than speculation?

+1....

Well Said
Old 02-05-2017, 12:04 AM

CSACANNONEER and Meda Defense,
Here's another example...the law says you can have a CCW if you jump through some specific hoops and have "good cause". If you go apply in San Diego and let the sheriff know your "good cause" is self-defense...would you get a CCW? Or would you only get a CCW if you prove you carry large amounts of cash for a business purpose or have a verifiable threat against you?
Nowhere is it written that you have to carry cash or have a threat to have a CCW. Right? The law says "good cause".
So if we did a video about CCWs would it be smart and accurate to just tell people that they just need "good cause" to get a CCW because that's what's in the law afterall? Or do you think people would like to know what "good cause" means?
Do you see the similarity?
If we did explain what's meant by good cause...are we just stoking fear? Or are we giving useful information?
There is a lawsuit going on right now due to the shetiff's interpretation of the law. But there isn't one regarding soft-sided cases vs hard-sided. Maybe you should consider being the test case. Got $50,000 to $100,000 for a lawyer? I hope you win because it's a stupid law.
But until then...
Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 AM

Also, can you please cite for me the specific instances where LEOs have approved Assault Weapons being transported in soft-sided cases for decades? Do you have proof of that?
That'd be very useful.
Old 02-05-2017, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Here's another example...the law says you can have a CCW if you jump through some specific hoops and have "good cause". If you go apply in San Diego and let the sheriff know your "good cause" is self-defense...would you get a CCW? Or would you only get a CCW if you prove you carry large amounts of cash for a business purpose or have a verifiable threat against you?
Nowhere is it written that you have to carry cash or have a threat to have a CCW. Right? The law says "good cause".
So if we did a video about CCWs would it be smart and accurate to just tell people that they just need "good cause" to get a CCW because that's what's in the law afterall? Or do you think people would like to know what "good cause" means?
If we did explain what's meant by good cause...are we just stoking fear? Or are we giving useful information?
There is a lawsuit going on right now due to the shetiff's interpretation of the law. But there isn't one regarding soft-sided cases vs hard-sided. Maybe you should consider being the test case. Got $50,000 to $100,000 for a lawyer? I hope you win because it's a stupid law.
But until then...

Respectfully a very bad example.

Douchebag Gore is likely the worst Sheriff in the state. His record shows this yet somehow he landed here in our fine city. Then again we had a pervert as mayor, so.....
Old 02-05-2017, 7:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Also, can you please cite for me the specific instances where LEOs have approved Assault Weapons being transported in soft-sided cases for decades? Do you have proof of that?
That'd be very useful.
Can you show me a case where LEOs have approved someone wearing a ball cap when it is raining? No, you can't because, there is no reason for a LEO to approve something that is legal. I know that I've been pulled over by an LEO with +40 long guns in soft cases and haven't even been questioned about the fact that the cases weren't "hard sided" because, it is a non issue.

Old 02-05-2017, 7:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The reality is that some under educated LEO might watch the "uneducated video" in question and believe the FUD it contains. Then, he/she may act upon such FUD and end up arresting a law abiding and law following person for illegally transporting a handgun or AW in a non hard sided case.So, videos like this are not helping gun owners at all. In fact, this video could potentially harm California gun owners much more than it could help us. Again, if the video clearly stated that it was only an opinion that hard sided cases should be used, it would be different but, instead, you are defending the fact that the video is portraying your opinion as if it is based on actual law. It isn't and therefor the video is only doing a public disservice and helping the antis to muddy the waters.

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 02-05-2017 at 7:12 AM..
Old 02-05-2017, 7:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
But until then...
If a certain Sheriff or any elected official doesn't follow a specific law, can you show me what it has to do with drinking fresh squeezed orange juice?

Old 02-05-2017, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Ya because those cheap plastic cases with paper thin hinges are really secure
Old 02-05-2017, 7:15 AM

Quote:
That'd be very useful.

Friend,

Were not making videos spreading FUD. Were merely looking for the truth in your informational video. And we have asked you to cite and support your opinions and claims with facts.

Which you cant, still have not and apparently wont...

One thing is for sure. Anyone reading this thread will know that you cant cite anything and that your video will have to be viewed in that light.....

Last edited by Mesa Defense; 02-05-2017 at 9:31 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 3:23 PM

You've been pulled over with 40 ASSAULT WEAPONS in soft cases? Or long guns?
Because the entire point of the video is that your Bullet Button gun is now an Assault Weapon even if you haven't registered it as such and transporting an Assault Weapon is different from transporting other kinds of long guns.
Old 02-05-2017, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You've been pulled over with 40 ASSAULT WEAPONS in soft cases? Or long guns?
Because the entire point of the video is that your Bullet Button gun is now an Assault Weapon even if you haven't registered it as such and transporting an Assault Weapon is different from transporting other kinds of long guns.
Handguns, long guns, 50BMG rifles, AWs, it really hasn't made a difference as long as the cases are locked (for non AW/50BMG rifles, the cases only need to be locked in a GFSZ). The FACTS are that all AWs have to be transported in the same manner as handguns and I've never heard of a soft case being an issue when transporting AWs, handguns or registered 50BMG rifles. Have you? If so, please cite it. You are the one making claims, not me. I don't have to defend my questioning your claims, you should be able to defend you FUD with FACTS and not just opinions. How hard is that for you to understand?

So, can you cite one single instance where transporting an AW, handgun or registered 50BMG rifle in a locked soft case has been an issue in CA? Or, is your opinion based solely on Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt? Again, I'm have not said that it isn't a good idea to use a hard case (not just hard sided) but, it is NOT required by law period!

Old 02-05-2017, 4:03 PM

I'm sorry the video wasn't helpful.
We used the best advice by well-known, published, professional experts. We feel really comfortable with their opinion.
Maybe you'll enjoy our next video more.
Best of luck, guys.
Old 02-05-2017, 4:04 PM

We used the best advice by well-known, published, professional experts. We feel really comfortable with their opinion.
Best of luck, guys.
Old 02-05-2017, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UclaPeon44 View Post
Quote:
Can you cite any real evidence of the state of California not agreeing that a locked, fully-enclosed soft case is sufficient? And are you aware of anyone ever actually getting "arrested, jailed, etc." for transporting a rifle in a locked, fully-enclosed soft case?

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 02-05-2017 at 4:17 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 5:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Best of luck, guys.
Just edit the video and state that you recommend using a hardcase or that is the prevailing opinion from the "experts" you've spoken with but, quit spreading FUD which only hurts legal gun owners and helps the antis. The problems with the video sure don't help protect our gun rights as you are claiming. It's really not a hard to edit the video to do, is it?

Old 02-05-2017, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Best of luck, guys.
Thanks for posting - it was a helpful video.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Pil...Black/19281921

Buy a couple of combo locks too.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Thanks for posting - it was a helpful video.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Pil...Black/19281921

Buy a couple of combo locks too.
I've been able to remove a firearm from a padlocked Plano case. I wouldn't call them very "secure" even though they are "hard sided". Make sure to check your cases before relying on them to be "secure" enough to comply with the law.

Old 02-06-2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Can you show me a case where LEOs have approved someone wearing a ball cap when it is raining? No, you can't because, there is no reason for a LEO to approve something that is legal. I know that I've been pulled over by an LEO with +40 long guns in soft cases and haven't even been questioned about the fact that the cases weren't "hard sided" because, it is a non issue.
I agree with just about everything you have stated. A secured and locked soft case will suffice. I was stopped years back by CHP and a soft case was acceptable. Hopefully that should be across all local agencies as well. But this was for CHP only.

Military veteran
DHS veteran