Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
22400(a) CVC does not require you to exceed the speed limit to keep up with the flow of traffic.
Please save us some embarrassment and tell us that you are not a CA LEO.
If you are, please take the time to read and learn the law.

22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
Trickster,

Never underestimate.......................

Some 25 years ago I took a class in juvenile procedure. The professor was a judge on the L.A. Municipal Court. She told us of an officer in Lancaster who in the early 70's was regularly stopping vehicles driving 80-90mph on the 14 Freeway and citing the drivers for both 22349(a) (Speeding) and 22400(a) (Impeding Traffic) on the same citation form. I'm not sure if the "compliance with law" language existed in the 1970's version of the law. I suspect that it did not, because of the context of her example.

The professor used this example to highlight the principle that contradictory laws do exist.

Last edited by RickD427; 02-09-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 8:43 PM

NO... I am NOT a LEO, nor do I claim to know all the laws in Calif.
But I did get a ticket in 1982, outside of Gridley, Calif.
For having 7 cars behind me. And the POSTED speed limit was 55 MPH.
We were coming into town with a speed limet of 35. That is where we got the ticket from a CHP. Of course it was droped.

And that was a surprized to me, my dad, and my Uncle. My uncle was the most surprised. And he was called a Hanging Judge.

Who am I? I am the son of the man who wrote the book "How to fight a windmill" Also known as How to protest Property Taxes.

My Uncle was a Judge In Butte County.

Think I am pulling a fast one? Write me.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy-d View Post
NO... I am NOT a LEO, nor do I claim to know all the laws in Calif.
But I did get a ticket in 1982, outside of Gridley, Calif.
For having 7 cars behind me. And the POSTED speed limit was 55 MPH.
We were coming into town with a speed limet of 35. That is where we got the ticket from a CHP. Of course it was droped.

And that was a surprized to me, my dad, and my Uncle. My uncle was the most surprised. And he was called a Hanging Judge.

Who am I? I am the son of the man who wrote the book "How to fight a windmill" Also known as How to protest Property Taxes.

My Uncle was a Judge In Butte County.

Think I am pulling a fast one? Write me.
And what does any of this have to do with your original claim that you will get a ticket under 22400(a) if you are doing the POSTED speed limit and holding up traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy-d View Post
I heard something about that as well.

If you are driving at the POSTED speed limit, And there are other people passing you, You will get a ticket for holding up traffic.

And I am not talking about a 2-lane road. I am talking about a 4-lane Highway Like I-5 or On the 405.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-11-2013, 5:36 PM

CBR- hey hey don't accuse me of writing tickets buddy! first off, cops don't write cites all day. Not even patrol cops. And there are assignments where cites aren't required at all.
Old 02-11-2013, 8:48 PM

I would hate to assume that you put in work, IlDuche...

But all joking aside, believe me I understand that traffic cites usually aren't the highlight of anyone's day. I think the last traffic cite I wrote was in December. I don't write loads of tickets, but I can assure you that I will be more than happy to show up for traffic court for those I do because they usually mean the offender was engaging in one of my pet peeves (false registration and blowing stale red lights, for instance).
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Haha right there with you. If I wrote a mover (cite), it was generally a fix it ticket, unless they really got me going or hit one of my peeves (following an ambulance closely to beat traffic being my number one).
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM

And I will be in court for that one.
Old 02-13-2013, 1:49 PM

Default Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlDuche View Post
Haha right there with you. If I wrote a mover (cite), it was generally a fix it ticket, unless they really got me going or hit one of my peeves (following an ambulance closely to beat traffic being my number one).
Hope you were not the guy that gave me my ticket then.... we will see how it plays out....

Last edited by daves100; 07-24-2013 at 7:22 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 4:36 PM

IlDuche, That's another pet peeve of mine, get 'em! I have yet to write one of those cites though because I am always running Code-3 myself or (naturally) everyone drives appropriately when I am near Fire/EMS rolling Code-3. It really pisses me off to see some idiot driving 20mph in front of an EMS rig knowing that EMS is on their way to save someone's mom/dad/brother/sister/son/child but are being held up by someone who shouldn't have a license.
Old 02-15-2013, 3:29 PM

I only missed one date. Our command had a standing order that unless you had prior supervisor approval, you bought a day if you failed to appear for any court appearance, including traffic. That, following morning watch made for a very long day.