Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-16-2013, 2:28 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Default Help Me Outfit My Small Go-Bag

Recently grabbed a US Peacekeeper Rapid Deployment Pack that I intend to keep in the trunk of my car, and aside from AR magazines, pistol magazines, a flashlight and knife, I can't figure out what else to store in the bag, so I was hoping to get some insight from those that are experienced with BOB's, Go-Bags, etc.

Here's a link to the RDP:

http://uspeacekeeper.com/Products/Ba...ment_pack.html

There's videos at the bottom of the page that will give better insight regarding the size of the bag, and what can be stored in it. Video 2 provides a really good overview of what can be stored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=KE1pDuprvB8#!

Thanks!

Last edited by Press Check; 02-16-2013 at 2:34 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 2:55 PM

What is your intended use for it? Get home from work or an afternoon driving trip, run for the hills from your house, or a fast action bag should you encounter a fire fight while in your vehicle? It all depends on what your planning for.

I work 12 miles from home and I will meet my wife and child half way. So my office GHB has old trail shoes, shirt, water, snack bars and some other items for the family.

You may want to think about:
Water
Food
Shelter
Comms (batt charger for your phone or an HT radio)
Map/GPS
etc.
etc.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-16-2013, 3:00 PM

Obviously, it depends on the purpose you want your bag to serve. Assuming it is a very basic, 24-72 hour survival bag, here are a few things for you to consider in a bag that size, in addition to what you already identifed:

Food - Datrex 3600
Water - 1 liter BPA-free bottle filled with water (and a couple drops of chlorine bleach to keep it purified for a while), plus another small dropper bottle of chlorine bleach to purify more water later
Shelter - Heavy duty poncho or personal size tarp
Warmth - 2 space blankets
Navigation - Local map, compass or hand GPS
Cord and tape - 550 paracord and duct tape (re-rolled onto a small dowel)
Fire - Swedish steel, matches or a lighter
First Aid - Band-aids and antibiotic cream
Extras - Extra flashlight batteries and cell phone charger

I hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2013, 3:19 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
What is your intended use for it? Get home from work or an afternoon driving trip, run for the hills from your house, or a fast action bag should you encounter a fire fight while in your vehicle? It all depends on what your planning for.

I work 12 miles from home and I will meet my wife and child half way. So my office GHB has old trail shoes, shirt, water, snack bars and some other items for the family.

You may want to think about:
Water
Food
Shelter
Comms (batt charger for your phone or an HT radio)
Map/GPS
etc.
etc.

Hope this helps!

I could come up with endless scenarios, but I'm not planning for any one specific event in particular. Regardless of what happens, abandoning my home would always be the absolute last resort, so in the case of a natural disaster like Hurricane Katrina, I'd anticipate leaving my home to scout the immediate area, being confronting by roaming marauders while doing so, etc.

Overall, the intended use would be semi-extended self-defense scenarios while away from home.
Old 02-16-2013, 3:31 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
Obviously, it depends on the purpose you want your bag to serve. Assuming it is a very basic, 24-72 hour survival bag, here are a few things for you to consider in a bag that size, in addition to what you already identifed:

Food - Datrex 3600
Water - 1 liter BPA-free bottle filled with water (and a couple drops of chlorine bleach to keep it purified for a while), plus another small dropper bottle of chlorine bleach to purify more water later
Shelter - Heavy duty poncho or personal size tarp
Warmth - 2 space blankets
Navigation - Local map, compass or hand GPS
Cord and tape - 550 paracord and duct tape (re-rolled onto a small dowel)
Fire - Swedish steel, matches or a lighter
First Aid - Band-aids and antibiotic cream
Extras - Extra flashlight batteries and cell phone charger

I hope this helps.
Time is definitely relevant. If I had to guess, I would assume this would be a very basic 2-8 hour survival bag.

Small, but essential items like a charger, batteries, paracord, a lighter, and a really small first aid kit sound good.

Last edited by Press Check; 02-16-2013 at 3:33 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 3:33 PM

If this is in your car at all times, and it's mainly a 'Get-Home Bag', you may want to pass on the mags unless you'll have a firearm to go with them. That thing doesn't look very big at all so I'd assume it's around a 24-36 hour bag.

Water: The biggest thing to put in it is water and lots of it. Put extra in your car. I can't tell you how many times I've utilized the stored water in my trunk. Also, you could look into a Camelbak. You may not ever use your firearm, flashlight, multitool or anything else in your bag. You can guarantee you'll need and use water.

Food: Store things that are pack full of fat and calories, like trail mix and energy bars. Small, portable and great sources of energy.

Multi-tool: Most multi-tools will have virtually everything you'd need over a short period of time.

Flashlight/Spare Batteries: It never hurts to have a small, efficient, bright light. If you need to use this thing, there's a good chance the power will be out.

First Aid Kit: Band aids, gauze, super glue, needle/thread, Aspirin, Ibuprofin, Benadryl, etc.

Instant Coffee/Tea Bags: Tea bags should steep even if the water's cold. Instant caffeine.

Spare Keys: Doesn't hurt to have a spare key to your house/apartment and your vehicle.

There's plenty you can put in it but you may want to reflect on what you would need if this bag were to actually be utilized to get you home.
Old 02-17-2013, 5:38 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Just doing my Haversack
Stuffed in 72hrs worth of survival bars and two little trail mix packs, and a small pack of cashews.
Little bottle of water purification tablets.
1 qt ziplock filled with toilet paper and 2 travel packs of wet wipes
Altoids fire starting kit.
Amk heetsheets
Molle down to strap is a pull away first aid kit
Tied onto handle d ring is a Leatherman Wave
12 mini line locks and 100' of Z Line 1.5mm Cord from Z Packs
MLD poncho tarp and a 7 titanium sheppard hook stakes
1 qt ziplock with 2 new pairs of wool socks, wool watch cap, and 2 pairs of surgical gloves.

Clipped to other d ring for strap is a small alluminum water bottle.
Still working on a few things