Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-24-2013, 7:49 AM

Default Transfer question

Hey all you calgunners top of the mornin. I had a quick question figured i'd try it on here before going to the gun store. I did a intra family transfer of handguns to an imediate family memeber. We filled out the form and sent it to d.o.j. the transfer went through. Now to sell the guns to a different private party does the new owner have to fill out d.r.o.s info? Or can I still transfer the guns? Myself and my imediate fam memeber are 100% legal to own firearms we just live in oposite areas. Thank you guys in advance and god bless.
Old 01-24-2013, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes, whoever has it can sell it and yes the buyer will have to meet them at your favorite LGS to do the PPT and fill out the DROS and wait the 10 days.
Old 01-24-2013, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

If you did an inter-family transfer whoever it went to now owns it. That person is who must do the DROS paperwork if it is to be sold again.

BTW not all immediate family can do inter-family transfers, for example brother to brother is not included but father to son is. But this is mute because you say the paperwork went thru.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 01-24-2013, 6:44 PM

Do I have to register a handgun that was given to me by my grandfather?
Old 01-24-2013, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Frank, yes you do. Use the OpLaw form that you can get from the DOJ's website.
Old 01-24-2013, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Frank, yes you do. Use the OpLaw form that you can get from the DOJ's website.
Unless, of course, it was prior to 1991
Old 01-24-2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
BTW not all immediate family can do inter-family transfers, for example brother to brother is not included but father to son is. But this is mute because you say the paperwork went thru.

So this means I can't purchase the Sig P226 Elite Stainless that I really want, from my brother in IL? Dad has passed. Aren't there any other options? This was the only way I could think of buying one.
Old 01-24-2013, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPie View Post
So this means I can't purchase the Sig P226 Elite Stainless that I really want, from my brother in IL? Dad has passed. Aren't there any other options? This was the only way I could think of buying one.
First up in these situations "purchase" would be the wrong term. Makes it sound like a straw purchase...

Heres some reading on the subject.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...nd.2Fwife_only
Quote:
Parent/child, grandparent/grandchild, husband/wife only
Note the text in Penal Code 16720. It really means ONLY those relationships, in either direction. Your brother, uncle, cousin or any 'in-laws' are NOT included.
However, in a slightly different operation, husbands and wives can give guns to each other, in an 'operation of law' called 'transmutation' (Family Code 850 The implication here is that firearms are separate, not community property - but why that should be so is not clear; further discussion of community property and related topics is far outside the scope of this article).
A perilous work-around
Brother directly to brother is not legal. Child to parent, parent to other child follows the law.
i. e. Staying entirely within the letter of the law, Abel may accomplish a transfer to his brother Cain by first transferring the firearm to either parent (Adam or Eve), and then the parent would transfer the firearm to their other son, Cain.

Theres always Single Shot Exemption SSE or finding one used private party.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 01-24-2013, 7:36 PM

Thanks. I'm new, and on a steep learning curve.