Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-21-2013, 9:32 AM

Default Can I carry a gun inside my car?

Can I carry a gun inside a lockbox with a loaded magazine outside the magazine well, say, under the passenger seat if the box is locked?
Old 01-21-2013, 9:40 AM

Yes.

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-21-2013, 9:41 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

From the CGF Wiki link up top: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...g#In_a_vehicle

NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)

“The man in black fled into the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

“For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matthew 16:26)
Old 01-21-2013, 9:49 AM

And in Nevada you can have it loaded in the car. : )
Old 01-21-2013, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock31B View Post
Loving it!
Old 01-21-2013, 6:13 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock31B View Post
As long as it is not "concealed upon your person".

"concealed upon your person" also includes being loaded and in a portable container (bag, purse, case, etc).

Having a valid concealed carry permit exempts you from the above.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-21-2013, 6:24 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Go to CHP website and see FAQ. There is a question about transporting a firearm. Print it out and keep it with your gun that's locked in a case and unloaded.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 01-21-2013, 8:01 PM

in California NO
Old 01-21-2013, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspring View Post
in California NO
What law did you read ?

In a locked container with a loaded mag in container but not in the gun is ok from what I've read on the DOJ website.
Old 01-22-2013, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What he said above.

CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON
Carrying a Concealed Handgun Without a License on One’s
Person or in a Vehicle:

It is illegal for any person to carry a handgun concealed upon his or her person
or concealed in a vehicle without a license issued pursuant to Penal Code section
26150. (Pen. Code, § 25400.) A firearm locked in a motor vehicle’s trunk or in a
locked container carried in the vehicle other than in the utility or glove compart*
ment is not considered concealed within the meaning of the Penal Code section
25400; neither is a firearm carried within a locked container directly to or from a
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose. (Pen. Code, § 25610.)
The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed
hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or
returning from the hunting expedition. (Pen. Code, § 25640.) Notwithstanding
this exception for hunters or fishermen, these individuals may not carry or
transport loaded firearms when going to or from the expedition. The unloaded
firearms should be transported in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container
other than the utility or glove compartment. (Pen. Code, § 25610.)
There are also occupational exceptions to the prohibition from carrying a
concealed weapon, including authorized employees while engaged in specified
activities. (Pen. Code, §§ 25630, 25640.)
Old 01-22-2013, 9:29 AM

The Titan Gun Safe company is always selling car gun safes at gun shows. The imply that they are call legal. The have one system that when unlocked the Pistol and loaded mag pop up side by side allowing instant insertion of the loaded mag into the previously unloaded weapon. This doesn't seem to me to be Cal legal for car transport. The California law demands the locked weapon be out of reach I.E. not in a glove compartment. But this system created a glove compartment by your side. That said it is a pretty cool system. http://www.titangunvault.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 9:36 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
The California law demands the locked weapon be out of reach
Find that law and let us know when you do.
Old 01-22-2013, 9:50 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The part of PC 16850 in question here is
Quote:
The term "locked container" does not include the utility or
glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobio View Post
T The California law demands the locked weapon be out of reach
This part is inaccurate

I.E. not in a glove compartment.
but this is explicitly stated in the law. There's no reason to suggest that this prohibition was motivated by 'out of reach'.

But this system created a glove compartment by your side.
and this is simply unknown, though the usual suggestion is that it might create a 'utility compartment'

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobio View Post
The Titan Gun Safe company is always selling car gun safes at gun shows. The imply that they are call legal. The have one system that when unlocked the Pistol and loaded mag pop up side by side allowing instant insertion of the loaded mag into the previously unloaded weapon. This doesn't seem to me to be Cal legal for car transport. The California law demands the locked weapon be out of reach I.E. not in a glove compartment. But this system created a glove compartment by your side. That said it is a pretty cool system. http://www.titangunvault.com/
I do believe it is legal since it is in a locked container. It is not a glove box. A glove box is the container originally built into the vehicle's interior by the oem manufacturer for that suggested purpose, a glove box. With the separate mag container it keeps the firearm and mags separate in their own locked container. I want one of these with two mounting plates to switch between two cars. Could this also be legal to carry in a backpack or brief case?

Last edited by CAGLS; 04-04-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

how would you transport it then? sounds like a gun case would be considered a portable container

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
As long as it is not "concealed upon your person".

"concealed upon your person" also includes being loaded and in a portable container (bag, purse, case, etc).

Having a valid concealed carry permit exempts you from the above.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
how would you transport it then? sounds like a gun case would be considered a portable container
Loaded in a portable container means the magazine is loaded in the mag well of the gun.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

We should set up a group buy with this manufacturer.
Old 04-05-2013, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
We should set up a group buy with this manufacturer.
+1 for this idea.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.
Old 04-05-2013, 1:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrystateofmind33 View Post
Can I carry a gun inside a lockbox with a loaded magazine outside the magazine well, say, under the passenger seat if the box is locked?
Unloaded and locked in a box, you can carry it on your lap with the key in your hand if you wanted to.
Old 04-05-2013, 3:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
Unloaded and locked in a box, you can carry it on your lap with the key in your hand if you wanted to.
I know your just talking legality so a key would make it more cumbersome and take more time to get your pistol out, mag inserted and ready. I've thought about bolting a Locksaf biometric safe in the trunk for shtf but the titan gun safe keeps your gun in a holster to keep from getting banged up sliding around plus it be installed under a seat or along side the center console for quick access and at the ready position along with the separate spring loaded mag container for more self defense scenarios. I also like the fact that it's removable and portable for reasons such as to prevent theft, carry with you in a discrete backpack, bag, brief case.

Last edited by CAGLS; 04-05-2013 at 3:56 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 6:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This^^^

I prefer a simple leatherette briefcase from Staples. ($27). Twin combo locks; it rides on the front seat. When exiting back to the house or any other location a briefcase looks normal. Nothing scary about a briefcase folks.

I would never transport in any locked container that screamed GUN INSIDE.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-05-2013, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
I know your just talking legality so a key would make it more cumbersome and take more time to get your pistol out, mag inserted and ready. I've thought about bolting a Locksaf biometric safe in the trunk for shtf but the titan gun safe keeps your gun in a holster to keep from getting banged up sliding around plus it be installed under a seat or along side the center console for quick access and at the ready position along with the separate spring loaded mag container for more self defense scenarios. I also like the fact that it's removable and portable for reasons such as to prevent theft, carry with you in a discrete backpack, bag, brief case.
The Titan sounds better. I agree I wouldn't want mine bouncing around in a metal box all the time. Hmm you could also attach a Serpa inside the box. They come with a belt loop and paddle and are mounted with 3 screws. You could just screw it to the bottom before bolting down whatever safe you choose.
Old 04-05-2013, 6:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
This^^^

I prefer a simple leatherette briefcase from Staples. ($27). Twin combo locks; it rides on the front seat. When exiting back to the house or any other location a briefcase looks normal. Nothing scary about a briefcase folks.

I would never transport in any locked container that screamed GUN INSIDE.
That's a great choice I think. If you can't carry concealed, carry it inconspicuously.
Old 04-05-2013, 6:54 AM

While that Titan box looks like a nice piece of hardware...under a stressful situation, i.e., attacker, would one really want a combo lock?

For myself, I think I would rather have a lockbox of some sort that had the key already in it. Not unlocked but locked with the key in it.

Would that be legal? Seems alot easier to turn a key than do a combo lock under stress.
Old 04-05-2013, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

A combo lock set to open at 010 and kept at 000 is about as simple as it gets...
Old 04-05-2013, 8:37 AM

One other question... Would a soft pistol padded style bag case with two zippers that have two holes that can be locked with a mini pad lock be legal to use as a "locked container" for legal transport in CA?
Old 04-05-2013, 8:46 AM

The ammunition must be separate from the firearm. A gun rug or bag with only one compartment housing both ammunition and firearm is illegal. If the gun bag has a lockable compartment with magazine or speed loader pouches sewn on the outside of the bag or a pocket to house loose or boxed ammunition, they are now separate and legal.

If you find a written california law that words it differently I would print it out and carry it with you but I myself wouldn't do anything but the above.
Old 04-05-2013, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat707 View Post
One other question... Would a soft pistol padded style bag case with two zippers that have two holes that can be locked with a mini pad lock be legal to use as a "locked container" for legal transport in CA?
i think so, i use my range bag with a cable lock through the zippers and a loop in the bag. been stopped once by chp and had it on the seat next to me, the chp didn't even bat an eye.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 04-05-2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat707 View Post
Yes as long as the ammunition is not enclosed in the same space. Things like a pillow case tied in a knot or a paper bag stapled closed have been attempted in the past with out success.
Old 04-05-2013, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalibass View Post
The ammunition must be separate from the firearm. A gun rug or bag with only one compartment housing both ammunition and firearm is illegal. If the gun bag has a lockable compartment with magazine or speed loader pouches sewn on the outside of the bag or a pocket to house loose or boxed ammunition, they are now separate and legal.

If you find a written california law that words it differently I would print it out and carry it with you but I myself wouldn't do anything but the above.
WRONG^^^^^^

Please, don't post krap like this. It is perfectly legal to carry ammo and handgun in the same locked case.

Please read our Wiki's on this subject BEFORE POSTING FUD...!

Thank you.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-05-2013, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes as long as the ammunition is not enclosed in the same space. Things like a pillow case tied in a knot or a paper bag stapled closed have been attempted in the past with out success.
Again.....WRONG...^^^^

See my answer above.

No more posts unless you know what you're talking about.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2013, 9:04 AM

You can carry ammo in the same space it can even be in a magazine?! It CANNOT be in a position, with normal action of the gun, from which it can be fired. I.E. hammer down on empty cylinder has an empty or unloaded chamber however with a pull of a DA the cylinder rotates and a cartridge is now in position from which it can be/will be fired. Same with a SA, pull the hammer back cylinder rotates and bang goes the gun. Semi auto, with a loaded mag IN the gun, work the action cartridge loaded into previously empty chamber squeeze trigger bang goes gun, gun is loaded. Loaded Mag outside of gun next to gun in padded locked case or hard or whatever. Work the action, cartridge does not fill empty chamber pull trigger gun does not go bang, gun is unloaded.
Old 04-05-2013, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Unloaded means unloaded. No bullets in a revolver, no loaded magazines inserted into the handgun.

The ammo and or loaded magazines CAN BE IN THE SAME LOCKED CONTAINER..

Simple.

From the California Highway Patrol.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

QUOTE:

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

Old 04-05-2013, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

No, that's wrong. OceanBob provided the links and details. Read all his responses above.
Old 04-05-2013, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Again.....WRONG...^^^^

See my answer above.

No more posts unless you know what you're talking about.

Thanks
$2,500 in attorney fees and 1 year of probation say otherwise. I was charged with 12025a years ago. I had a 1911 in a gun rug with the loaded magazines NEXT to it (the 1911 had no magazine inserted and no round chambered). The zippers were pulled to together and a small pad lock was through both zippers but not latched. I would leave it unlatched for quicker access if ever needed and if pulled over had the intentions of securing it then. My vehicle was parked along side the road and we were 20 yards away looking over the bridge at steelhead. An officer parked next to our car and asked if were were ok. We said yes and when the officer got out of his cruiser and asked what we were doing he noticed the gun case and asked if I had a permit to carry it. I said I didn't need to have a permit and he reached into my vehicle without asking and examined the case, when he saw the lock wasn't engaged he unzipped it and shortly there after I was placed under arrest for a concealed weapon in a vehicle. I had no run ins with the law before or after that. In court the judge said to transport a firearm in a vehicle in california it MUST be in a locked non-organic container with ammunition separate from the firearm.

So I could care less about your interpretation of the law or the judges misunderstanding of it. I will do as the judge instructed for the rest of my life. My brother has since become a leo and he instructs people as the judge instructed me.
Old 04-05-2013, 9:41 AM

I transport in a small Pelican case with a little padlock on it. I can throw that locked case anywhere in my vehicle and be legal. Anyone asks whats inside, none of their business. But, it could be an expensive camera, one of my Fluke instruments, fishing lures, batteries, anything...As long as you do not have a loaded magazine in the mag well or rounds in the cylinder of a revolver, you have nothing to be ashamed of or feel bad about, you are perfectly legal.

Old 04-05-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
No, that's wrong. OceanBob provided the links and details. Read all his responses above.
Please refund my court and attorney fees from 1991.
Old 04-05-2013, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While he's wrong from a legal standpoint, when travelling through "hostile territory" its a good idea to keep the ammo and gun separate, and locked in separate cases even if the law doesn't mandate it.

Why?

Because all it takes is one dumb cop to ruin your day. Since an unloaded handgun is worthless for defensive purposes anyhow, may as well go the extra mile to make it home at night without any detours or sore wrists from handcuffs. When travelling through Illinois which has a similar statute to California's, I lock the gun and ammo separately-and field strip the pistol into a non-functional condition. When transporting rifles, I take out the bolt.

That way-even though the letter of the law doesn't require it-if I get stopped by Sergeant Hoplophobe, I go home instead of to a jail cell, vehicle impound, then a lawyers office for the lawsuit, then a bank ATM to pay the fees for the lawyer and the impound, get my damaged car back, then go to a hearing where the government flips me the bird, I appeal, and then pay more money to file a SEPARATE injunction with the court to get my property back, which is now damaged from being stored in a police locker room for 30+ days.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 04-05-2013, 9:43 AM

Quote:
WRONG^^^^^^

Please, don't post krap like this. It is perfectly legal to carry ammo and handgun in the same locked case.

Please read our Wiki's on this subject BEFORE POSTING FUD...!

Thank you.
Please refund my court and attorney fees from 1991.
Old 04-05-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
This is my preferred way to carry in the car as well. But what leatherette bag from Staples has CA DOJ approved twin combo locks?