Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 PM

Thumbs up Took the GF shooting for the first time.

I have been told that women are often faster/better learners than men when it comes to firearms. Why? Maybe because they lack the ego, they don't come in thinking they know better, and instead are a clean slate and open to instruction and critique. Let's see how that theory holds up...

First things first I took my GF shooting because I would feel better for her safety in regards to the loaded handgun in the nightstand if she knew the fundamentals; not because she had any interest herself in it. She is a complete non-gun, non-competitive, non-confrontational, non-sporting kind of lady, and had never even held a weapon until that day.

So how did she do?
@20m

http://i.imgur.com/j8vzLxM.jpg

The .45 is my XD, it shoots low and left. Without bothering her with the concept of "kentucky windage" I can say I was pleasantly surprised
The crack of the .45 hurt her hands but my dad's .357 Smith seemed to suit her just fine

Since she is 5 foot nothing and 100lbs soaking wet we thought it would be fun to end the day with the Dirty Harry .44 Magnum.

http://i.imgur.com/hUv2eW8.jpg

How did she do?
@25M

http://i.imgur.com/uqbhSPr.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the results.

All in all she said she didn't like shooting too much (too loud was her major complaint, despite both ear plugs and the headset), but I'm happy to know she can handle the weapon safely and put rounds on target if needed.

Last edited by Novmiech; 01-20-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Calguns Cleanup Member
CGN Contributor

It's good to let her get used to how it feels, you never know if she needs to protect herself when your away somewhere. I'm gonna take my wife out shooting to get the feel of handling a gun. I think she'll be the same with being to loud. Thanks for sharing your info.

Last edited by sean714; 01-21-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM

That's good man. I still need to take my girlfriend out to the range too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Congrats on the trip but not the wisest choice of handguns for a first timer IMO. You might have won her over with smaller calibers on her first trip. Great girl for going though.
Old 01-23-2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepway View Post
Congrats on the trip but not the wisest choice of handguns for a first timer IMO. You might have won her over with smaller calibers on her first trip. Great girl for going though.
We started her with a .22 rental handgun - she actually shot better with and preferred the .357

to be fair I also wasn't trying to "win her over" I couldn't care less if she chose to pick up shooting; heck even I rarely go plinking; I wanted her to be familiar with the weapons we have on hand (.45 and .357) for her own protection; teacher her how to shoot the .22 without giving her the practical items as well wouldn't be doing her any favors.

Last edited by Novmiech; 01-23-2013 at 5:09 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Pics of your gf?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Nevermind. .
Old 01-27-2013, 1:31 AM

she has a crazy long pinky nail
Old 01-27-2013, 7:48 AM

^^^^LOL maybe for a lil sniffy sniffy.......