Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-22-2013, 7:20 PM

Default Shotgun Lights

Im looking to put a good light on my Mossy 590. The surefire grip is a little out of my price range.

What setups do you folks prefer? There seem to be alot of options between tri-rail mounts or fore-ends with picatinny rails. What decently priced lights can stand up to 12 ga recoil?

Id like to keep the whole setup under $200 if possible.

Any input appreciated.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:27 PM

I use this http://www.opticsplanet.com/surefire...lashlight.html. With a barrel clamp light mount
Old 01-22-2013, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

The UTG EL-338 is a nice light for the price. barrel clamps are the usual mounting option.

http://www.cdmgear.com/

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 01-22-2013, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

The light and the mount, to include the wire has to fully shake out. I took a four night shotgun class at front sight and everyone had some sort of light problem. For me, the pressure switch wire started to unplug itself on multiple shots. So, it taught me for my rig, the wire must screw in tightly. Mount was good, rail on fore grip. Good luck. Have a 4 night shotgun at FS this 4th of July. Hope I am good to go this time!

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 01-22-2013, 8:49 PM

I tried a few different methods before settling on a GG&G forend and a Surefire 6PX.

Here's a thread to give you some ideas:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=668609

For $200, you can buy a new forend and have plenty leftover for a high quality LED light.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:29 PM

Great write up. I like that gg&g setup. I also like the surefire flashlights, i have one for camping but id like to be able to turn light on and off with my hand still firmly on the slide.

Anyone experienced with those wired pressure switches? They seem a little hokey but i lile how u can put the switch where you want.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Streamlights appear to be on sale at Amazon. I just bought a TLR-1 for my 590 for $107.

Remember to purchase through shop42a.com to help CalGuns!

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 02-05-2013, 9:24 PM

Lights go on a Christmas tree or a front door.
Old 02-06-2013, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktooth7 View Post
Lights go on a Christmas tree or a front door.
There are good reasons for and against a light. I have one because there are a lot of people living in our house (6) and I need to have a positive ID before I pull the trigger.

Your needs may be different, but don't always assume that your situation/beliefs apply to everyone.

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 02-06-2013, 9:54 AM

Its easy to think you can see in your house at night, but you have to consider a power outage. Most houses don't have blackout curtains, and you're picking up light from streetlights, neighbors, etc. Not to mention glowing clocks, power strips, little power indicators on TV's and radios...

And widespread power failures are seen as opportunities by some. Just think back to Sandy this past fall.

Shut down your power and hang blankets over all your windows and then try & say you don't need a light on your weapon.

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke