Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-21-2013, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

My range allows me to pick up my brass, as well as any other brass on the ground. I never go home without more brass than I fired.
Old 01-21-2013, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
I was still picking it up, just not as much

I'll deff be going other places, I just went here when I felt like practicing with pistols. No huge loss but crap circumstance for leaving

I would like to see a list of ranges run by thieves. DO ET.

Others have already named the place for me

if I ever do have to come back I'll wear proper footwear for stomping. Thanks for the suggestion

Funny, my fiancé and I were talking about bringing a baseball mitt if there was a nextime

off the table in front of me, I would be pissed. To the point of getting up and leaving

right. They will save a few bucks but will lose a few customers.

The reason of this post is not to out any range, but it seems to be a decent kick in the nads due to ammo situation. I understand it's a way to get a couple bucks and to generate your own reload supply for your range, but to take someone's property and then have the nerve to sell my property to the public is not ethical business practice.

I will frequent this range again if,
-I get a heavily discounted entry fee
Or
-I get a cut of what they sell it for,even if it's just 5$.

If any range ends up seeing this, you are losing a dollar by saving a nickel.

I told a guy at Angeles last time that I was keeping my brass, later another one tried to come and broom up like 20 rounds I hadn't gotten to yet as I was shooting a couple mags. I told him I'm keeping it, so put it back. He gave me a dirty look and emptied the broom tray. Watevers, my brass is my brass. I might even start keeping my 9mm brass but definitely I keep my 223 and 308 brass

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 8:43 AM

Wow! That really sucks for a range to say and do something like that!

Another reason why I won't be going back to an indoor range, plus the fact that I hate doubling up on hearing protection.

Although I'm in NorCal. I guess I got lucky my last time at the range. I just chatted up the RSO when I was waiting for everyone to stop shooting (outdoor range), so I could set up my target. I mentioned I reloaded, He told me they were collecting brass to resell but it was ok to pick up your own brass. So I started shooting and noticed he was sweeping up brass to clear benches for "safety" I guess but he went and left the dust pan full of brass next to my range bag!

When I did the tally I had an extra 300-400 LC brass! Woo hoo!!
Old 01-21-2013, 9:44 AM

Out of principle I won't shoot at a range that won't let you pick up your own brass. I do most of my indoor shooting at OC Indoor Range in Brea and they've never had a problem with it, and I do my outdoor shooting at Angeles. ASR will let you pick up your own brass, but they can be a bit aggressive about it. I had an RSO sweep up my boxer-primed 7.62x54 (generally shoot yugo surplus), and when I told him that I wanted to keep my brass that he just took, he gave me a dirty look, dumped out his whole bin right there, and told me to go ahead and take it while he watched because "he doesn't want me to steal any brass that isn't actually mine".
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
CGSSA Associate

It's your brass. Any range that won't let you pick up your own brass is being ridiculous . What if you accidentally dropped some live ammo, would they say that is theirs too?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfire View Post
It's your brass. Any range that won't let you pick up your own brass is being ridiculous . What if you accidentally dropped some live ammo, would they say that is theirs too?
Dont let your gun hit the ground!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

I will NOT give business to ranges that don't allow me to keep my brass.

Remember: They also keep your lead/copper bullets.

Two of the ranges, I go to, mine the berms to recover the lead and sell it off. I sometimes pickup lead as well, since I cast some of my bullets. I joined a private range this year. Members are required to pickup their own brass to keep the range clean. Someone left some nice 223/5.56 brass laying on the side of a berm this weekend. I was sure to pick it up and keep them from looking bad.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM

As far as ranges not letting you pick up your brass that sucks, if it hits the ground it's theirs, that's bs, I know my range lets me pick up the brass I shoot as well as some of my neighbors too just as long as I don't get brass PASSES the barricade I'm fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
Others have already named the place for me

If any range ends up seeing this, you are losing a dollar by saving a nickel.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=680591&page=2

Owner's response, see last post. Thread locked already.

I work there, many of you have know me, or have taken the Rifle Safety Qualification course with me. From my perspective, it's another one of those case that other people screw it up for all of you, very much similar to what our "No Shotgun" policy came into place. We have seen people stealing brass when they pick up brass 3 lanes from each side of their own lane, or use push rod to pull brass back to pick up what's already down range; we have our high dollar value reload ammo brass keep disappearing (357Mag, .44SPL/Mag, 45LC). We simply do not have the manpower to watch over everyone who claims to be "picking up my own brass only". Please note we do not charge sales tax on range reload because those ammo were intended to be used in our range only, and we keep the brass. Our reload ammo supplier depends on us to return the brass to them, and will raise the price if we can't return the right amount of brass back. With all of above, we are now strictly enforcing what has being our brass policy.

As for those who claim safety issues is BS, while you are on the ground moving around to pick up those brass, people who walk by may trip over you, especially when we get crowded. Losing dollar over a nickel may be if you don't count the thousands of dollar we could save on the lawyer fee.

For those of you who claim will not be back, I hope you find a better range that would accommodate your need. For those of you who continue to utilize our facility, we appreciate your business. However, please remember we have a business to run and we have set rules for this business that will be follow strictly. Please review our range rules and ask any questions you might have, this way we don't have to breath down your neck all the time.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Head Janitor

Brass is part of what I pay for when I buy my ammunition.
It's my property, sorry you don't get to tell me I can not retrieve my property simply because it hits the floor.

You want to claim my brass, fine, I'll show you how many rounds I have coming in and how many rounds I have going out and you can pay me fair market value for once-fired brass.
Otherwise it goes home with me.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 01-21-2013, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Ghey.

The range that I frequent does not have that kind of rule.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 01-21-2013, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KON5T View Post
$60?!?!?!

This one at amazon (shop42a link) is $11 shipped. To mount it, drill a hole in a 2x4.

16" diameter or so!

California is the only state the NRA dedicates a full time lobbyist to. It has other employees who have accomplished all of this (and much more that oftentimes cannot be discussed publicly): ...
And they have lawyers doing all of this: ...
And here is an older report on things NRA has done in CA: ...
This is not to mention that NRA donated the maximum allowed under law to the campaign to oppose Gavin Newsom's initiative (have you donated yet?): ...

And just standby for much more in the near future that NRA and CRPA will be doing jointly.

NRA spends more money in CA than it takes in from here. Please stop spreading misinformation.
-
sbrady@Michel&Associates
Read the post with links here.
Old 01-21-2013, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I've never been to a range that didn't let you pick up your own brass. Hell, when I go, I ask all the other people shooting the same caliber as me if they don't want their brass and if they could toss it my way. I got 300-400 free .40S&W once fired brass that way in one day.

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?
Old 01-21-2013, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
I told a guy at Angeles last time that I was keeping my brass, later another one tried to come and broom up like 20 rounds I hadn't gotten to yet as I was shooting a couple mags. I told him I'm keeping it, so put it back. He gave me a dirty look and emptied the broom tray. Watevers, my brass is my brass. I might even start keeping my 9mm brass but definitely I keep my 223 and 308 brass
i shoot sometimes at Angeles and i take my own brass. then again no one really shoots 45-70 there and i hunting rifle the brass never hits the ground. i do clean up my brass from my AR if i take it there.

i never had any problems taking MY brass home from there.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-21-2013, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=680591&page=2

Owner's response, see last post. Thread locked already.

I work there, many of you have know me, or have taken the Rifle Safety Qualification course with me. From my perspective, it's another one of those case that other people screw it up for all of you, very much similar to what our "No Shotgun" policy came into place. We have seen people stealing brass when they pick up brass 3 lanes from each side of their own lane, or use push rod to pull brass back to pick up what's already down range; we have our high dollar value reload ammo brass keep disappearing (357Mag, .44SPL/Mag, 45LC). We simply do not have the manpower to watch over everyone who claims to be "picking up my own brass only". Please note we do not charge sales tax on range reload because those ammo were intended to be used in our range only, and we keep the brass. Our reload ammo supplier depends on us to return the brass to them, and will raise the price if we can't return the right amount of brass back. With all of above, we are now strictly enforcing what has being our brass policy.

As for those who claim safety issues is BS, while you are on the ground moving around to pick up those brass, people who walk by may trip over you, especially when we get crowded. Losing dollar over a nickel may be if you don't count the thousands of dollar we could save on the lawyer fee.

For those of you who claim will not be back, I hope you find a better range that would accommodate your need. For those of you who continue to utilize our facility, we appreciate your business. However, please remember we have a business to run and we have set rules for this business that will be follow strictly. Please review our range rules and ask any questions you might have, this way we don't have to breath down your neck all the time.
Thank you for response on your perspective. However having a business does not make it ok to thieve my brass, stealing is still illegal. and the timing of this new policy during the worst ammo crisis ever is very convenient for it all of a sudden being a safety issue.

Please dont think my thread is to drive away business, your brass policy has already driven people off, take a tally of how many people in this thread and the other have stated that they are not going to patronize your range (I personally spend more than $200 a year just in range fees) any longer and see if the brass policy is still worth it. Please note that high-volume, serious shooters shoot a lot and that's a lot that won't be shot at this particular place of business.

Please stop looking at your customers as a resource for brass. For your own reloads purchased there, fine. But for my brass that I bought elsewhere its MY business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Brass is part of what I pay for when I buy my ammunition.
It's my property, sorry you don't get to tell me I can not retrieve my property simply because it hits the floor.

You want to claim my brass, fine, I'll show you how many rounds I have coming in and how many rounds I have going out and you can pay me fair market value for once-fired brass.
Otherwise it goes home with me.
What about a brass-framed black powder revolver?
So it looks like everyone here is agreeing that our brass is our property.
Old 01-21-2013, 2:15 PM

ha I shoot on govt. land some times at the clay pits here in Oroville, and you have to guard your brass or this little asian lady will jack it. She is usually pretty good about staying away from you but sometimes she starts taking yours. I have had some friends blow up on her for taking some of ours before. I felt bad, but she was taking our brass and it was making me mad too, I just wasnt so verbal about it.. ha. I dont do indoor ranges much.
Old 01-21-2013, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I rarely shoot at any range, I much prefer the great outdoors on my friend's private property. But I certainly wouldn't patronize a place that wouldn't let me keep my own brass.
Old 01-21-2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
$60?!?!?!

This one at amazon (shop42a link) is $11 shipped. To mount it, drill a hole in a 2x4.

16" diameter or so!
Much better option
Old 01-21-2013, 4:00 PM

NOPE. As long as you don't approach a bench under a seize fire your all good at Circle S. I was actually thanked by the range master for picking up some 12 ga hulls that my daughter wanted for a project. They weren't mine. I always pick up my brass and any brass I find to be good while I'm not shooting.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:08 PM

Kon5t, that catcher almost looks doable. I might have to make one.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:51 PM

Beaumont indoor range will not get my business because of their brass policy. To bad because I don't live very far from them.
Old 01-23-2013, 9:00 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

It's MY brass, and therefore my own property. The range has no right to keep what's mine. If they don't want me rooting through the brass buckets than fine, but no one is telling me that I can't take my own brass.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 01-23-2013, 9:28 PM

Are there international treaty's as to who owns the air space between the gun and the ground at the range?

If you get a butterfly net and catch other peoples brass mid air prior to hitting the ground is it your?

Are there no fly zones? This is something we need to get the UN to look into.

And WTF do you do if you own a HK91 clone and it throws the brass over the range wall into the parking lot next door?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM

Does it suck, yes. But calling it thievery is ridiculous. You are using their property so it is their rules. Nobody forces you to shoot at such a range. Don't like the policy, move on. Didn't find out until you were shooting? Should have asked before you step on to the range.

That being said, if a range changes its policy it should either have member only days where you can collect or offer at least partial refunds to people that already have annual memberships.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:51 PM
CGN Contributor

It's OK to pick up brass at both the indoor and outdoor ranges that I frequent...

S&W M&P .40 Shield / Ruger SR9 / Win Defender 1300
Old 01-25-2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
Take a drop cloth, use a brass catcher...or start shooting a revolver.
^^^THIS

My range is cool with picking up MY brass, but frowns on taking from others. Since they sell mostly reloads they really need the brass.

I made a catcher out of aluminum angle and a laundry bag. Mounted on a camera tripod and can recover most of them.

Since they said if it touches the ground it's theirs, I would just lay down a drop cloth in the booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Keep up the name calling, insult and BREAKING THE RULES and you'll prolly get banned hellla quick bro..
Old 01-25-2013, 4:32 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

It is my brass. I bought it, I own it. It comes home with me. Is the range going to claim my tires since I parked them on their pavement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin87 View Post
ha I shoot on govt. land some times at the clay pits here in Oroville, and you have to guard your brass or this little asian lady will jack it. She is usually pretty good about staying away from you but sometimes she starts taking yours. I have had some friends blow up on her for taking some of ours before. I felt bad, but she was taking our brass and it was making me mad too, I just wasnt so verbal about it.. ha. I dont do indoor ranges much.
She makes me nervous, as she will walk right in front of you while you are shooting to snatch brass. Most of the regular scroungers at Oroville are OK, though. They generally ask first.
Old 01-25-2013, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I went to Firing line in HB a while back and the guy tried to say something about me picking up brass when i checked out. I said yeah thats right i picked it up, its MY brass. I own it I purchased it it belongs to me. The way the guy approached me was with a attitude so I gave it back to him. I usually try to be polite in situations no matter what.
Haven't gone back since. I shoot revolver so my brass just goes in a empty ammo carton. I don't even reload. i just dump it all in a big 5 gallon bucket and take it to the recycler.

Thats about the only place I had a issue. Everybody else doesn't seem to care/mind if I pick up my brass. if they do I go elsewhere. I wont take anyones brass but I will pick mine up. its still my property/ just because I fired it doesnt mean it belongs to you now
Old 01-25-2013, 5:37 PM

When I was shooting at OakTree they came behind me and tried to sweep up my Brass real quick while I was shooting. Sneaky guys
Old 01-25-2013, 5:45 PM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

USI allows you to pick up brass if your a member. If people leave it, you can pick it up. -g
Old 01-25-2013, 5:51 PM

I think brass goes for a buck a pound at the recycler, and that's after you shake out the dirt, remove the aluminum and steel. That's hardly worth the wages of the safety officer who has to clean up your mess.
My favorite range says, "clean up after yourself" and short of a fistfight, clean up the other guy's too.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
I think brass goes for a buck a pound at the recycler, and that's after you shake out the dirt, remove the aluminum and steel. That's hardly worth the wages of the safety officer who has to clean up your mess.
My favorite range says, "clean up after yourself" and short of a fistfight, clean up the other guy's too.
which range is that?
Old 01-25-2013, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Does it suck, yes. But calling it thievery is ridiculous. You are using their property so it is their rules. Nobody forces you to shoot at such a range. Don't like the policy, move on. Didn't find out until you were shooting? Should have asked before you step on to the range.

That being said, if a range changes its policy it should either have member only days where you can collect or offer at least partial refunds to people that already have annual memberships.
It is not thievery. It is conversion of property. A private business cannot deprive you of your personal property unless you give them permission, they have a court order, or several other conditions. This is against the law if they are doing it as a matter of their own policy. The end. They can choose to deny you entry, but if they allow you to shoot there, anything you walked in with you must be allowed to walk out with.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns (some off-roster), C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

Last edited by John Browning; 01-25-2013 at 9:27 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 9:31 PM

Angeles range allows you to pick up your own brass, no problems.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
It is not thievery. It is conversion of property. A private business cannot deprive you of your personal property unless you give them permission, they have a court order, or several other conditions. This is against the law if they are doing it as a matter of their own policy. The end. They can choose to deny you entry, but if they allow you to shoot there, anything you walked in with you must be allowed to walk out with.
A business can charge you anything they want. They can charge in cash, they can charge in chickens. I've been to lots of ranges that don't allow collecting brass. Every one of them had that listed in the rules that I had to sign off on before I could even shoot. That makes a contract, not illegal conversion of property. Even if it is not on that list, as long as you sign off on obeying posted rules and that rule is posted, there is nothing illegal about it.
Old 01-26-2013, 1:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Screw them. I would NEVER go to a range that didn't allow me to pick up my own brass.
Old 01-26-2013, 4:41 AM

My local range collects your brass and uses it for their reloads that they resell back to their customers great money spinner for them although I have never picked up my brass I have seen others pick up and I did have one guy ask if he could pick up my 45 brass which I allowed him to
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 01-26-2013, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyfly View Post
There was one time i was shooting groups with my .270, and I was being careful to collect by brass and place it on the table everytime i chambered a new round. Then, while i was zeroed in on my target, on of the rangemasters took all of my brass off my bench, that i was shooting at, and threw it in their can.
I was literally at a loss for words
I can't believe this is coming from a grown *** adult, are you saying you were firing at an outdoor range ( 270 rifle ) ...and catching your brass as you were ejecting it ( Nobody gets up and reaches on the ground , to pick up brass individually ...everytime they chamber a new round )

And this dude comes and steals your brass off of your bench, and you were just at a loss for words ?

I could see pistol brass hitting the floor , mixing with numerous other brass...but someone approaching my bench and reaching for anything unannounced is going to be treated harshly with extreme prejudice. He would not have touched my brass, period.

One time , a member here...said some stranger picked up his pistol off of his bench and either was fondling it or actually shooting it by the time he noticed it missing.

Point is, even when shooting at the range...you need to be aware of your surroundings/personal space at all times.
Old 01-26-2013, 8:01 AM
Banned

It's a bunch of BS and just of the one reasons I no longer use shooting ranges any more. The Mojave Desert is wide open and it's at your disposal.
Old 01-26-2013, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

just mark your own brass and problem solved..stop your whining