Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Need to register a shotgun

I bought a "never been fired" shotgun from a private party a few months ago and I haven't registered it yet. Can I still register it and/or what all do I need to do now to make things legal? I have a clean record and live in San Bernardino County. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Take it to a gun shop or FFL to do a Private Party Transfer. (Or did you already do that)?

WTB cheap/used AK-Ultimak & MFER.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM

long guns do not get registered until 2014.
if you bought the gun off someone (private party), then hopefully you did it at a FFL (gun store with Federal Firearms License).
if not, you need to go (with the seller), and bring the gun with you (unloaded of course), to a FFL and do the PPT (private party transfer) through them.
they will do a background check and DROS (dealer record of sale), and then the gun is yours (since you live in CA, you will need to wait 10 days to pick it up).
however, make sure you understand that there is NO registration for long guns until 2014. handguns are a different story.

now, if you bought the gun from the seller (private party) and did not do the above steps (or not willing to do them), you are in violation of gun sale laws and you have bought a gun illegally.

the only exception to the above laws/steps is for long guns older than 50 years (i believe) which are classified as C&R. these can be purchased directly from the private party seller and are what people call 'cash & carry'. i am not all that familiar with C&R purchases, so you better do your homework on it before buying to make sure you are in full compliance of laws for thsi type of purchase.

bets of luck and happy shooting.
AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.

Last edited by border.bandito; 01-21-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by border.bandito View Post
long guns do not get registered until 2014.
if you bought the gun off someone (private party), then hopefully you did it at a FFL (gun store with Federal Firearms License).
if not, you need to go (with the seller), and bring the gun with you (unloaded of course), to a FFL and do the PPT (private party transfer) through them.
they will do a background check and DROS (dealer record of sale), and then the gun is yours (since you live in CA, you will need to wait 10 days to pick it up).
however, make sure you understand that there is NO registration for long guns until 2014. handguns are a different story.

now, if you bought the gun from the seller (private party) and did not do the above steps (or not willing to do them), you are in violation of gun sale laws and you have bought a gun illegally.

the only exception to the above laws/steps is for long guns older than 50 years (i believe) which are classified as C&R. these can be purchased directly from the private party seller and are what people call 'cash & carry'. i am not all that familiar with C&R purchases, so you better do your homework on it before buying to make sure you are in full compliance of laws for thsi type of purchase.

bets of luck and happy shooting.
this ^^
plus I would like to add that if you did the sale through a FFL and still want to register your shotgun ( remember you dont have to reg it but if you want too) then you go onto the Ca doj website and look for a form called voluntary registration form fill it out and send it in with a $19 money order wait a few months and youll get a letter in the mail saying its now registered the most important thing is that you did the purchase legally through a FFL
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764