Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Default Dual registration for CCW?

Is it possible for me to register one of my Dad's pistols in my name also? (sutter county) The reason I am getting my ccw is so that my Dad can leave his Glock in my truck since he borrows it all the time. Transferring his gun to my name only would defeat the purpose, since then he couldn't carry it anymore.

Would it be possible to get one of my Dad's guns listed on my ccw if it was only registered to him?

I just took the course and left one small ragged hole with a .45 glock 30 .
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As to the first, CA does not understand more than one owner, so it isn't possible.

Check with your issuing agency about adding a gun to your license; nothing in CA law requires that a gun listed be registered to anyone, but the guns listed are reported to the state and associated with the name of the person licensed.

Issuing agencies are reported here to have different opinions on registration, so there's no generic answer.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-13-2013, 1:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll go down to the Sheriff's office and ask what our county law says.

The guy I took the course from is registered in 4 counties, so could I get a ccw from another county if this one won't let me use my dad's?
Old 07-17-2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gunHopeful View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll go down to the Sheriff's office and ask what our county law says.

The guy I took the course from is registered in 4 counties, so could I get a ccw from another county if this one won't let me use my dad's?
You can only legally get a CCW from your county of residence. Further, it is invalid after 90 days of moving to another county.
Old 07-17-2013, 9:54 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gunHopeful View Post
The guy I took the course from is registered in 4 counties...
Just means four different counties accept him as an approved CCW trainer.

The issuing agency has a list of approved trainers and getting trained by a non-approved trainer means that the course has no value to that issuing agency and it does not satisfy the training requirements for that issuing agency.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).