Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-22-2013, 9:04 AM

Default MAUI, any hunting or fishing recommends?

Looks like I'll be going on a family vacation next week. Last time we all did this was almost 20yrs ago... Now I remember why it's been such a long time. Trying to find activities that makes everyone happy can be quite a chore.

With my mom pushing 75 and my sister 5 months pregnant, there isn't much it the excitement department, lol... I wanna take my brother-in-law and take him fishing and/or hunting. He's not had the opportunity to do any these things growing up.

Any suggestions for hunting or fishing tips for all you vets out there? Thank you kindly.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM

There's http://www.mauihuntingsafari.com/

Rodney and Dawn are very nice, but it's a bit pricey. I suspect they are in Reno at the SCI convention this week.

There are deer, pigs, goats and pheasants to hunt on Maui. You need a HI license. It's not hard to get a HI license, but you need a Hunter Safety Certificate.

I faxed a copy of mine into the main office in HI, then a few weeks later got a letter with a confirmation number. (Basically they put me in the system) Then I bought a license online and printed it out. I buy a license for $95 each year, but don't often get to go out. But we go to Maui and Kauai a couple times a year, so it's worth it.

It was in the fall, and I hunted pheasant in a public area on the back side of Haleakala. Poli Poli park. My buddy provided the gun and dog. It nearly killed me climbing up the side of the volcano, but was a lot of fun. Got 2 wild birds. (HE got two birds, I flushed them by accident. Then lay on my back gasping for air as they flew away)

If you don't know anyone, there's not much info from the locals on where to hunt. But somebody's cousin/uncle/brother will know if you're polite and make friends.

Makawao seems to be the best area to see dead pigs in the back of local Toyota trucks, which is a indication that pigs are being taken. Not sure where you're staying, but that's a good area to explore anyway.

Make a color copy of you HSC and bring it with you. Never can tell if an opportunity will come up. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

I have not been to Maui, but the upland hunting on some of the islands is fantastic with a variety of exotic upland birds to chase. You will have to check the regulations to see what is open. The reef fishing can be very good (with the exception of Oahu, the underwater desert) if you like to speer fish. Unfortunately, you have to be careful of what you target becuase of ciguatera poisoning. That leaves most of the big fish off the menu.

Hawaii is not famous for the amount of big game fish that can be landed, but there is some OK fishing. We'll be trying our hand on a charter boat off of Kauai in February.

A kalij pheasant from the big island taken last year.

Some small, but delicious reef fish. They tasted more like poultry than fish.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 01-23-2013 at 6:13 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the useful info, especially faxing the hunters saftey cert. Man I don't have mine anymore, I lost it and it's been almost 30 years since I took it. Hopefully an old hunting lic will work.

Yes, I'm putting the word out to my friends who are from HI about hooking up to do pig hunt. They don't hunt but their asking back home, but in "HI time" lol...

Thanks again, I'll check out Makawao. I think that's a public hunting area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpuig View Post
There's http://www.mauihuntingsafari.com/

Rodney and Dawn are very nice, but it's a bit pricey. I suspect they are in Reno at the SCI convention this week.

There are deer, pigs, goats and pheasants to hunt on Maui. You need a HI license. It's not hard to get a HI license, but you need a Hunter Safety Certificate.

I faxed a copy of mine into the main office in HI, then a few weeks later got a letter with a confirmation number. (Basically they put me in the system) Then I bought a license online and printed it out. I buy a license for $95 each year, but don't often get to go out. But we go to Maui and Kauai a couple times a year, so it's worth it.

It was in the fall, and I hunted pheasant in a public area on the back side of Haleakala. Poli Poli park. My buddy provided the gun and dog. It nearly killed me climbing up the side of the volcano, but was a lot of fun. Got 2 wild birds. (HE got two birds, I flushed them by accident. Then lay on my back gasping for air as they flew away)

If you don't know anyone, there's not much info from the locals on where to hunt. But somebody's cousin/uncle/brother will know if you're polite and make friends.

Makawao seems to be the best area to see dead pigs in the back of local Toyota trucks, which is a indication that pigs are being taken. Not sure where you're staying, but that's a good area to explore anyway.

Make a color copy of you HSC and bring it with you. Never can tell if an opportunity will come up. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would be surprised if they will accept a hunting license. Most likely, they will require your hunter education certificate. If you can't get a replacement, get a class lined up now to get a new one.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoredneck View Post
I have not been to Maui, but the upland hunting on some of the islands is fantastic with a variety of exotic upland birds to chase. You will have to check the regulations to see what is open. The reef fishing can be very good (with the exception of Oahu, the underwater desert) if you like to speer fish. Unfortuaently, you have to be careful of what you target becuase of ciguatera poisoning. That leaves most of the big fish off the menue.

Hawaii is not famous for the amount of big game fish that can be landed, but there is some OK fishing. Well be trying our hand on a charte rboat off of Kauai in Feburary.

A kalij pheasant from the big island taken last year.

Some small, but delicious reef fish. They tasted more like poultry than fish.
Wow, thanks for sharing your pics! Not sure what ciguatera poisoning is but I'll be sure to read up on it.

Perhaps Kauai next time. Was going to do that but I was afraid my family would be bored since their mobility is limited until my nephew is born. Got to check if my HI sling is packable, might as well change the band while I'm at it!
Old 01-22-2013, 2:03 PM

Not sure if hunting license will work.

I was in the same boat so I took the online HSC for $20. It had been 30 years since I did it and the little slip of paper was long gone. I knew I was going to hunt out of state, so just took the course as a refresher. Since I had stacks of old CA licenses, it was never a problem hunting here. But some states want your HSC.

IIRC, it was http://www.hunter-ed.com/

I opened the course in one browser window, the test in another and just went through at a casual pace. Took about 3-4 hours. Then you can print the form and you're all set to go to the four hour classroom "hands on" session, and get your real certificate from a DFG teacher.

Not sure if you'll have enough time to do that before next week. Might want to make a call to the HI office to see if they have an exemption or waiver. Worth a shot.
Old 01-22-2013, 2:59 PM
Banned

My daughter is helping some people in Molokai re develop their cattle herd on a 5000 acre ranch. Good news is that i get to go hunt axis deer and anything else i want now.
Old 01-22-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
My daughter is helping some people in Molokai re develop their cattle herd on a 5000 acre ranch. Good news is that i get to go hunt axis deer and anything else i want now.
Well that's awesome!
Old 01-22-2013, 5:10 PM

X2 what previous poster mentioned on getting licensed processed...

I can't speak upon Maui yet the big island (Hilo side) was EPIC fun for the Kalij pheasant. Also some big gobblers on the HI islands.

I would def get that spear set up all ready. Do some quick homework and learn how to ID the edible reef fish. I used a HI style sling spear on the big island in 2008; got some seriously good eating fish!!!

Enjoy the islands, my family lives there and it is an amazing place. I followed basically same process as previous poster, got licensed and nailed some Kalij pheasant and went after gobblers to no avail.
Old 01-22-2013, 5:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I believe you need to get your letter taken care of before you get to the islands.
Old 01-23-2013, 5:55 AM
CGSSA Associate

When I went HSC and a month to get a HL before I left.

I brought my bow and got into pigs each hunt in the bow only area of NF

Good luck
Old 01-23-2013, 7:04 AM

I hear the beaches are dakine...... although theres some big animals living in those fallow cain fields bruddah.

Last edited by 1meanchevy; 01-23-2013 at 7:08 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If fishing on a charter get info on whether you get to keep the fish you catch. Most charters claim your fish, but will give you a couple fillets to keep. Especially in Lahaina. They sell the fish caught by you.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
If fishing on a charter get info on whether you get to keep the fish you catch. Most charters claim your fish, but will give you a couple fillets to keep. Especially in Lahaina. They sell the fish caught by you.
wow... Ok, I'll do that. That almost seems like not being able to pick up your own brass at some ranges. I don't mind sharing though, but thanks for the tip.

Trying to get my bro-in-law out and do some dude stuff. This will be the first time really hanging out since he married my sister 7yrs ago. I think inshore fishing (bottom fishing as the locals call it?) would be the best way.
Old 01-23-2013, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

No need to retake a hunter's safety course. You can contact the CA DFG and get a copy sent of your HSC. Go to their website and search around for the link.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

I found this for you:

Quote:
The Department of Fish and Wildlife started to maintain a database of students in 1989. If the student took the class after that date, they should contact the Department of Fish and Wildlife Hunter Education office in Sacramento, (916) 653-1235, to request a duplicate certificate. If the student's name is in the database, which means that they correctly completed the Scantron form, and they successfully passed the course, then we can issue a duplicate certificate. If the name is not in the database, or if the class was completed prior to 1989, the student should contact the original instructor, club, or organization where the course was taught to obtain a duplicate. If the student is unable to obtain a duplicate through these means, they will have to repeat the course.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/faq.aspx#3

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

If you want to walk onto a boat, there are many 30-50 footers for comfort. Start Me Up Sportfishing has many boats. Look'm up on bloodydecks.com
I'm not into trolling with 50 and 80wide international reels for 20-60# fish.
Sure they catch their share of larger fish but I'm just not a air conditioned, teak wood, fighting chair kind of fisherman and like to use my own gear.
The larger boats won't let you do that.
I would book ahead. I've had good luck reef fishing on the "Lucky Strike" out of Lahaina.
http://www.luckeystrike.com/

Oh. The fresh poki selection is great at the Lahaina Safeway. Trust me on that one. Fresh and tasty.
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68