Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM

Good shooting on both sides, sounds like it was a great event. Congratulations to team Mauser. It would be interesting to see how the large ring (98) long rifles perform. Seems like a GEW 98 is near impossible to find in good condition. When finances improve, I want to work up a load for my 7x57.
Old 01-21-2013, 2:48 AM
Calguns Addict

FWIW, I own several 91/30s as well as a K98. None of them are sub moa, but shoot decent enough with surplus. I'm curious how much improvement I'll see once I work up good handloads for each rifle.

The way I see it, both designs have their pros and cons, but in the end both the K98 and the 91/30 proved to be very effective in their intended roles.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Anyone have a link to the actual stats? So far all I've seen was a rather subjective "Mauser beat Mosin! Told ya so."
Old 01-21-2013, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Pre 1903 rifle designs
American Enfield against English Enfield (1917 0r Smellies?) ?
Siamese mausers against Shang Ki Chek Chinese Mausers ?
European Rolling blocks against American Rolling blocks ?
American Krags against European Krags ?
Trapdoor springfields against Kropachek rifles ?
Old 01-21-2013, 7:18 AM

Pete, There is a guy with a that comes out there with us on our weekly practice with a very nice mint bore GEW 98. I've fire this rifle and it is a decent shooter. However, the Swedish M96 will out shoot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
FWIW, I own several 91/30s as well as a K98. None of them are sub moa, but shoot decent enough with surplus. I'm curious how much improvement I'll see once I work up good handloads for each rifle.

The way I see it, both designs have their pros and cons, but in the end both the K98 and the 91/30 proved to be very effective in their intended roles.
Absolutely agree! That's exactly my point that an out of the box $90 Big 5 special Mosin is no sub MOA even with a cork and shims under the receiver but don't tell that to Josh Smith.

Mosin served its purpose during the war and held well throughout the war. IMO the Mauser is just a better design. If the Mosin were a superior design a commercial version would still be made today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of any commercially made Mosin based design being made today. However, Mauser based rifles are still being made today in the thousands and the Remington 700 is just one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Anyone have a link to the actual stats? So far all I've seen was a rather subjective "Mauser beat Mosin! Told ya so."
Not subjective but objective as we took the results of the award presented to the winners. As was mentioned all classes was won by a Mauser rifles except for one which a Finn Mosin tied a Mauser. So totally objective to me. Tom the head honcho of the match will sent out the Excel spreadsheet to all in our group and I will post it sans the names to protect the innocent or the guilty.

Last edited by pro-nra; 01-21-2013 at 7:22 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

SKS/AK match?
Old 01-21-2013, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
Not subjective but objective as we took the results of the award presented to the winners. As was mentioned all classes was won by a Mauser rifles except for one which a Finn Mosin tied a Mauser. So totally objective to me. Tom the head honcho of the match will sent out the Excel spreadsheet to all in our group and I will post it sans the names to protect the innocent or the guilty.
Well...not so much "totally objective". Great fun, for sure. Interesting, without a doubt. "Totally objective"...not really.

Understand that as a Swiss rifle shooter, I come from a position of strict neutrality on this matter, but the subjectivity is the shooter in the equation, which many people feel is as important as the equipment...with in reason.

Was the Mauser team exactly equal to the Mosin team in shooting ability? Obviously not, and there is no way to make the teams exactly equal. So this contest was not a true measure of the accuracy of one rifle against another, but rather a measure of a group of shooters with varying abilities shooting one type of rifle against a group of shooters of varying abilities shooting another type of rifle.

Last edited by Mustang; 01-23-2013 at 7:58 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM

I agree that since there is human factor involved so yes it is not "totally" objective. But I know one thing, it was fun and can't wait for the next one. Frank is arranging some kind of match and I believe Bob is organizing a side bet?

I also concur that the shooter's ability is just as important or even more so than the rifle. If Paul and Vern was shooting for the Mosin team, they would have bagged the overall match winner title. True Mauser team was heavily weighed with experienced (except me) AAA+ shooters and it reflected the result of each classes winners.

I think next time I'll join you and try my luck with my last K31. I'll start by eating some chocolate today.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM

I will be bringing out my 1917 to the March match, now that Juanito has finally shot his way into the AAA class.
I nabed 2nd in the open class using an 03-A3 against a mosin. It was a great day for shooting.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

That was great shooting, Matt. It was a bad day to be a Mosin shooter, unless your first name was Brian.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Man I thought that shoot off would go on forever as Dan and Matt was just going back and forth with knocking the turkeys. I thought to myself we will either run out of targets or someone will run out of ammo. Matt was close to running dry towards the end as he only had two rounds left. Last month he lost the shoot off only because he only had three rounds going into the shoot off. That was fun to watch Matt through the spotting scope as his group were super tight.

Brian was great with that Finn. Well since Matt is bringing out his 1917, I might bring mine out as well. Either that or a K31.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Well all I'm hearing now are lots of excuses and it was not a fair match and it should have been this against that etc. Those same individual that trumpeted the Mosin's superior accuracy are sure quiet now.
I never commented on the superiority of one rifle over the other and I'm not making excuses for the Mosins.

All I'm saying is that the contest was not objective at all. Guns manufactured in wartime are going to come out of the factory with a lower degree of fit and finish. To compare immaculate Swedish Mausers to war manufactured Mosins isn't a good comparison. That's why I said you should have used wartime German K98s. They were under the same pressure to build guns fast as the Soviets.

As for eliminating the bias of shooter skill. You could easily have a group of people shoot both guns and then compare the score with each rifle.

Also, I never brought up Josh so i don't know why you keep doing it.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Man I thought that shoot off would go on forever as Dan and Matt was just going back and forth with knocking the turkeys. I thought to myself we will either run out of targets or someone will run out of ammo. Matt was close to running dry towards the end as he only had two rounds left. Last month he lost the shoot off only because he only had three rounds going into the shoot off. That was fun to watch Matt through the spotting scope as his group were super tight.

Brian was great with that Finn. Well since Matt is bringing out his 1917, I might bring mine out as well. Either that or a K31.
What kind of scope was mounted on Matt's 03A3?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Matt's 03-A3 had a commercial modern scope but not sure of the make/model.

Okay for your viewing pleasure, here is the neutered results of the match. I remove the names to protect the innocent/guilty.

Last edited by pro-nra; 01-21-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
That was great shooting, Matt. It was a bad day to be a Mosin shooter, unless your first name was Brian.
For some reason I did great on the Turkeys and then completely fell apart on the pigs!! Back to the drawing board :/
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

It was the opposite with me. Last month 9 turkeys this month I could not hit but 5. Boy I'm glad me and Brian did not shoot off as he would have killed me for sure. More practice on the turkeys I guess.
Old 01-21-2013, 1:17 PM

Well, I've got an off the shelf Mosin 91/30, a Finn Mosin, a Swede Mauser (carbine), a Swiss 1911, K-31 and a ZFK-55, all the US rifles and a bunch of others. I shoot them all, all the time. I can tell you without fear of contradiction, the off the shelf Mosin is the worst, the Swiss ZFK has proven itself to be the best. Now, these are just my rifles of course, but I speak from experience when I say that IMHO the Swedes and the Swiss are at the top, the 03 & 03A3s are close as are the Finns. All the trash talk aside, the only way to prove the worth is to come out and shoot them in a match, period. Now, pull on the big boy pants, fill the tanks with gas, load some ammo and put it on the line at Sac Valley. Oh and by the way, NRA's rifle was a bone stock Swede M96 so you got that one wrong backstrap....
Old 01-21-2013, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Absolutely agree! That's exactly my point that an out of the box $90 Big 5 special Mosin is no sub MOA even with a cork and shims under the receiver but don't tell that to Josh Smith.

Mosin served its purpose during the war and held well throughout the war. IMO the Mauser is just a better design. If the Mosin were a superior design a commercial version would still be made today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of any commercially made Mosin based design being made today. However, Mauser based rifles are still being made today in the thousands and the Remington 700 is just one of them.
Just for grins and giggles, before the last time I went shooting I free floated the barrel of my best shooting 91/30 how the Soviets did it, with oiled cloth around the forward portion of the barrel. Although I haven't done any tests for grouping with decent ammo, the POI was noticeably different with 40's Soviet surplus ammo. Instead of shooting roughly 6" high under 200 yards, the POI is now equal to the POA.

Point being, I suppose with an excellent like new barrel and crown, plus whatever combo of shims/free floating works for the rifle, good ammo, and a competent shooter a 91/30 could approach MOA. I doubt it's the case with most 91/30s, but the possibility still is there.

As for the mauser being a better design....they were both intended to be battle rifles originally so that's how I compare them. Like I said in my opther post, they were both very good at their intended jobs.

The mauser is still produced today because it's easier to hunt with. It's also easier to modify for hunting use than the M/N. I'd also say that companies started making mauser based hunting rifles because the US adopted the 1903, and many people would be familiar with that platform when the mauser based hunting rifles went into production, but that's speculation on my part.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 01-21-2013, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Well well well what do we have here? Suck failure Mosin freaks! Even your precious Finn Mosin couldn't save you! Mauser For the Win! Next up should be Mauser VS Swiss VS Einfield for the grand finale.

However I do agree with the Mosin CEO...hehe should be German 98k versus Soviet mooosin nagant

Old 01-22-2013, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Went through the pictures. Even with my totally mediocre skill, it would've been fun.

I agree with those who point out the skill of the shooters being a factor. That's going to the the most important factor. My M91/30 shoots just under MOA with Prvi Partizan ammo, but I cannot make it do that yet as I do not yet have the skill. In the hands of a very good shooter, like my buddy who's been a precision shooter for decades, yes, the rifle is so capable. Hopefully I will someday be equal to this rifle's abilities.

What matters most of all is that it sounds like everyone present had a grand ol' time.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

How about combat 98K mausers against Moisons for the next match?

You can keep your Swede target rifles in the closet for this one.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 AM

If you want to compare the two as far as accuracy, it should be done from a sled or front rest/rear bag combo.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
SKS/AK match?
Rivets or screws??
Old 01-23-2013, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

if you could kill a HUN at 200 yards with a Mosin uncle JOE was happy. if i can shoot my 18c surplus ammo in my $ 109 on sale 91-30 without feed and eject problems like my Mauser had i am happy.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
Rivets or screws??
Milled or stamped?

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."

Quote:
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
How about combat 98K mausers against Moisons for the next match?

You can keep your Swede target rifles in the closet for this one.
sweede and swiss closet queens. maybe guarded a cheese factory. i bet my 1936 izzy has a few stories to tell.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
Milled or stamped?

Maryann or Ginger??
Old 01-23-2013, 1:18 PM

Swede vs. Mauser, interesting. As looking at the results it shows the swede on top. But, the Finn Mosin 28/30 is pretty much on top as a very accurate rifle as well. You don't see them at matches that often. Many people in these matches do reload there own ammo. So, some days can be good as other days not so good depending on a shooter's reloading recipe and other elements. I wonder how the results would be if everyone was to use commercial grade ammo. Who would be the winner then? Who ever the loser is in these matches may need to check the nut behind the stock if you want to win.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 01-23-2013, 4:06 PM

I have competed in many Silhouette matches and used M96's, M39 Finns and M98's. What most posters are missing is that regardless of the inherent accuracy of each rifle, you have to have a finely adjustable rear sight to achieve a good sight picture of the target. The Vasteras sight insert for the M96 gives an infinite sight adjustment, and that is the reason it is on top. The M39 has an improved leaf sight, but past 400 meters it is too coarse.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
Maryann or Ginger??
Maryann. Clearly.

Shaken or stirred?

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmurphy View Post
I have competed in many Silhouette matches and used M96's, M39 Finns and M98's. What most posters are missing is that regardless of the inherent accuracy of each rifle, you have to have a finely adjustable rear sight to achieve a good sight picture of the target. The Vasteras sight insert for the M96 gives an infinite sight adjustment, and that is the reason it is on top. The M39 has an improved leaf sight, but past 400 meters it is too coarse.
Couldn't agree more. Infinite adjustment is the key to silhouette shooting as the reloads differs from the military ammo the sights were calibrated for. Here is my Karl Axel Vilhelm Tunheden designed rear sight on one of my M96. It is better than the Vasteras as it has some windage adjustment as well so you compensate for a little left to right wind.

Old 01-24-2013, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Infinite adjustment is the key to silhouette shooting as the reloads differs from the military ammo the sights were calibrated for. Here is my Karl Axel Vilhelm Tunheden designed rear sight on one of my M96. It is better than the Vasteras as it has some windage adjustment as well so you compensate for a little left to right wind.

At the last match there was some discussion about these infinitely adjustable sights and whether they were ever issued by the military . Infinitely elevation adjustable sights were issued on some of the CG M38's and M41B's, but I've never seen any documentation that they were issued on M96's.

Unfortunately for non-Swede shooters, it was decided that they would be allowed on the M96's in the "as issued" match. I'm not sure how far the flood gates will open ...I saw M96's at the last match that had both windage and elevation adjustable rear open sights and I'm pretty certain windage adjustable sights were never on any "as issued" M96.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I saw M96's at the last match that had both windage and elevation adjustable rear open sights and I'm pretty certain windage adjustable sights were never on any "as issued" M96.
I think I saw that one you are talking about with a windage knob on the right side? It looks similar to the Vasteras with a windage knob. Well it did not help him much on his final score. Maybe just a lack of practice/trigger time.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think I saw that one you are talking about with a windage knob on the right side? It looks similar to the Vasteras with a windage knob. Well it did not help him much on his final score. Maybe just a lack of practice/trigger time.
Yep, that was the one. It was a beautiful looking set up, but I was thinking that it was pushing the limit pretty hard on the sight adjuster equipped M96's shooting in the "as issued" class.

I've been going back through the old match results looking at the results of the "open class". The differences between the various rifles is a lot less stark than the "as issued" results. Sometimes the Swede's win, sometimes other rifles win. I'm beginning to wonder if the adjustable sights may play an important role in the Swede's success. An advantage that obviously doesn't exist when all the rifles are scoped.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Man you are right that was a very nice set up and I would not mind getting one myself. It is called the J-F Sikte and like most Swedish made stuff it is of very high quality.

Here is the J-F Sikte next to a Tunheden.

Old 01-24-2013, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Combat rifles next time
Old 01-27-2013, 6:30 PM

Haha. Congrats to Team Mauser. I have no idea how the Red Army snipers could lose to SKSer45 but they did. Wehrmacht over the Russians.
Old 01-27-2013, 6:41 PM

Thanks for sharing pictures, glad so many had a good time. Here we just plink in the desert (Bullhead) but we manage to have good times.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:12 AM

Quote:
What kind of scope was mounted on Matt's 03A3?
My scope is a simmons with a ranging reticle (2 horizontal lines) and an adjustable elevation turret. Three turrets came with the scope that are closely matched to different cartridges / bullet weights. Similar to current BDC reticle scopes, except with mine I manually dial in the distance to target, not just use a holdover line. I bought the scope in 1991 and the eyepiece comes loose after shooting a while which causes the cross-hair to move around as you shoot. Luckily it stayed put this last match. Also the 2-piece weaver bases were mounted out-of-line with the bore by the previous owner. I am out of windage adjustmet and the rifle shoots more to the right the further the distance. I was aiming just off the left neck edge of the turkey to hit the center body.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Seriously, next time it should be 91/30s and carbines vs K-98s.

Yeah so they're not as good as the other "sideline" rifles, but this makes it more fun.

I'd bring my 91/30 1931 ex-Dragoon.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."