Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-19-2013, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Sheriff Garrett: "I will not enforce federal law that will infringe upon [The RKBA]"

Washington County, Oregon Sheriff:

Quote:
Our system of government ensures that any new law passed by Congress must be signed by the President, and is subject to being struck down by the courts if found to violate our Constitution. Second, in light of the Supreme Court's last two decisions on gun rights, I cannot conceive that the Court will find any significant additional regulation of firearms constitutional. Finally, I think it highly likely that if any new gun control law appears, it will be quickly challenged and rendered unenforceable pending the final outcome of judicial review.
Quote:
I do not get to substitute my own judgment about what the law is or should be — to do so would violate the basic principle of separation of power established by our Constitution.
http://www.co.washington.or.us/Sheri...issue=Jan_2013

The Sheriff mentions the Printz v. United States case and how the "Court found that the federal government may not constitutionally require local officials to enforce federal law and the court held that the statute was unconstitutional."

I think it's a huge step in the right direction for a Sheriff of a populated county to make it known that he is not going to go for what the anti 2A crowd is calling for, and to take those steps further by saying that he will not enforce certain federal law and invoke case law for that purpose.

I say good for Sheriff Garrett.

Erik.
Old 01-19-2013, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Smart feller.
Old 01-19-2013, 2:09 PM

Question

Good. Needs to happen all over the country